Getting good deals BELOW list price

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Slicker Than Your Average

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArthurKnight
Um...as someone who is very likely going to pay MSRP for a 2007 Acura RDX missing all those features you listed....one, I'm not a fan of Lexus/Toyota and not a really interested in seeing what Infiniti can do for me. Two, those items you listed are relatively minor. I don't see the taillamps, I'm getting the auto dimming mirror as an accessory, I don't sit in the passenger seat, I'm not so lazy I can't move my own seat (begrudingly), and the passenger mirror tilts down. I seldom have any need for the driver's side mirror to tilt down, in fact, that could be more dangerous because I can't see oncoming traffic if it did.

But if you'd like to talk about Lexus and Infiniti, how about you talk about how much more expensive they are just so that you can get those features?
Acura is supposed to be the luxury car brand that delivers value. How are you delivering value if you're not offering the same features as the competition? Value is delivering the same features as your competition at a lower price. The 2007 Acura RDX is a cheaper alternative rather than a better value. You can justify paying MSRP for a mediocre compact SUV however you like. Whatever makes you sleep at night.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by wolfeman314
Not to mention, SLICK, that Infiniti still hasn't learned how to make an interior. Give Lexus all the credit you'd like because they really are great at what they do, but Infiniti has a long way to go.

(Not that Acura couldn't use to improve in a few key areas)
Interior and exterior styling is a matter of taste. I was just saying, "How is Acura going to charge $37,000+ for the 2007 Acura RDX and not include all those missing features I mentioned earlier?" Hopefully Acura will do a better job with the 2007 Acura MDX because I'm actually considering buying one this October / November. It'll either be the 2007 Acura MDX, 2007 Infiniti G35, or the 2007 Lexus GS 350 AWD. I considered the 2007 Acura RDX for a second, but I realized that it's definitely not worth the price.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by S L I C K
Acura is supposed to be the luxury car brand that delivers value. How are you delivering value if you're not offering the same features as the competition? Value is delivering the same features as your competition at a lower price. The 2007 Acura RDX is a cheaper alternative rather than a better value. You can justify paying MSRP for a mediocre compact SUV however you like. Whatever makes you sleep at night.
Acura/Honda isn't going to give away the car. They can't. They need to make money and still put enough into the car to make people want to buy it. Every feature costs money to research, develop, and produce, not to mention all the advertising the Acura seems to be doing for this car.

Henry Ford allegedly said that he'd gladly give away his cars if he could have exclusive rights to fixing them. Acuras and Hondas are well known for their reliability and thus aren't generally as expensive to own in the long run as other luxury brands.

The value in the RDX is the technology, the reputation and quality of the brand, and the fact that while some minor features that we can all complain about have been left out of the first and most expensive production year (as with all production models, it gets cheaper as production goes on), it's still cheaper than competiting brands whom have had their lines going for more time.

So if leaving three "it would have been nice to have these but I can live without them" features out of a car to keep the cost down a couple grand but still giving me everything else that I want including a sub 40k MSRP makes the SUV mediocre, then I guess I'm the sucker when I sign on the dotted line. Enjoy your $6-10k memory seats and power passenger seat.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:33 PM

Acura/Honda isn't going to give away the car. They can't. They need to make money and still put enough into the car to make people want to buy it. Every feature costs money to research, develop, and produce, not to mention all the advertising the Acura seems to be doing for this car.

Henry Ford allegedly said that he'd gladly give away his cars if he could have exclusive rights to fixing them. Acuras and Hondas are well known for their reliability and thus aren't generally as expensive to own in the long run as other luxury brands.

The value in the RDX is the technology, the reputation and quality of the brand, and the fact that while some minor features that we can all complain about have been left out of the first and most expensive production year (as with all production models, it gets cheaper as production goes on), it's still cheaper than competiting brands whom have had their lines going for more time.

So if leaving three "it would have been nice to have these but I can live without them" features out of a car to keep the cost down a couple grand but still giving me everything else that I want including a sub 40k MSRP makes the SUV mediocre, then I guess I'm the sucker when I sign on the dotted line. Enjoy your $6-10k memory seats and power passenger seat.
I'll get LED taillamps, day / night rear-view mirror, power passenger seat, memory settings, heated and auto tinting dual auto tilt-down in reverse outside mirrors, push-button start / stop, Adaptive Front Lighting System ( AFS ), better sound system, better reliability and build quality, high-resolution navigation display, SmartAccess, Intuitive Parking Assist, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, power rear sunshade, Rain-Sensing Wipers, etc. for the $6,000 - $10,000. Need I say more?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Instructor

I'll get LED taillamps, day / night rear-view mirror, power passenger seat, memory settings, heated and auto tinting dual auto tilt-down in reverse outside mirrors, push-button start / stop, Adaptive Front Lighting System ( AFS ), better sound system, better reliability and build quality, high-resolution navigation display, SmartAccess, Intuitive Parking Assist, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, power rear sunshade, Rain-Sensing Wipers, etc. for the $6,000 - $10,000. Need I say more?
No, but I suspect you better start defending yourself about the better sound system, superior reliability, and strange belief that dual tilt-down of side mirrors vs the generally accepted auto tilt of the passenger side mirror is somehow a feature worth boasting about. Not to mention push-button start/stop in BMW's implementation is actually a feature I'd look to avoid. . . it provides no convenience whatsoever. And the quality of the navigation system? What world do you live in, man. . .
Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Instructor

I think we need to stop comparing the 30k+ MSRP SUVs with the 40k+ SUVs. It's fair to compare the other way and say, "I'm pissed at Lexus for not having an award winning navigation system and real time traffic like the Acura which is $10k less." But to say, "I'm pissed that the Acura doesn't have features that the come standard with the Lexus which costs $10k more," is rediculous. We really need to compare apples to apples here.

The whole point of Acura's price point and the reason they left out certain features that we all wish were standard was to keep the price point below 40k. And lets face it, in 6 months dealers will start negociating lower prices. However, it's not 6 months from now. It's not 2 years from now. It's less than 2 weeks after this SUV hit the market and there's a definate demand and a limited supply. Acura is going to take advantage of it and sell as many at full MSRP as they can.

In 6 months, let alone a year from now, they'll need to drive demand back up and then we'll see the standard features that we want and the price drop down to where we think it should be. Some of us will wait, some will not. Time will tell if that was a mistake or not.

Right now I need a new vehicle that can do everything I want to do and not break the bank. I don't see Lexus running to give me that vehicle nor do I see Infiniti (but to be fair, I haven't looked either).
Old 08-19-2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by wolfeman314
No, but I suspect you better start defending yourself about the better sound system, superior reliability, and strange belief that dual tilt-down of side mirrors vs the generally accepted auto tilt of the passenger side mirror is somehow a feature worth boasting about. Not to mention push-button start/stop in BMW's implementation is actually a feature I'd look to avoid. . . it provides no convenience whatsoever. And the quality of the navigation system? What world do you live in, man. . .
I think we need to stop comparing the 30k+ MSRP SUVs with the 40k+ SUVs. It's fair to compare the other way and say, "I'm pissed at Lexus for not having an award winning navigation system and real time traffic like the Acura which is $10k less." But to say, "I'm pissed that the Acura doesn't have features that the come standard with the Lexus which costs $10k more," is rediculous. We really need to compare apples to apples here.

The whole point of Acura's price point and the reason they left out certain features that we all wish were standard was to keep the price point below 40k. And lets face it, in 6 months dealers will start negociating lower prices. However, it's not 6 months from now. It's not 2 years from now. It's less than 2 weeks after this SUV hit the market and there's a definate demand and a limited supply. Acura is going to take advantage of it and sell as many at full MSRP as they can.

In 6 months, let alone a year from now, they'll need to drive demand back up and then we'll see the standard features that we want and the price drop down to where we think it should be. Some of us will wait, some will not. Time will tell if that was a mistake or not.

Right now I need a new vehicle that can do everything I want to do and not break the bank. I don't see Lexus running to give me that vehicle nor do I see Infiniti (but to be fair, I haven't looked either).
I don't want to turn this into an Acura vs. Lexus vs. Infiniti thread because they're all great luxury automobile brands so I'll stop here. If you're comfortable with paying MSRP for the 2007 Acura RDX go for it. It's your money. IMO the 2007 Acura RDX isn't worth the $37,000+. It's all about perceived value and if you think the 2007 Acura RDX is a value, I guess I can't argue with you because it's your perception. Enjoy the vehicle.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Pro

I agree with you for sure on this. We are comparing the list price of a vehicle vs. the prices that you can get a dealer to negotiate down to. I several months I would think we will see the dealers negotiating on the price. At that point the RDX with tech will appear to be a much better deal.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Instructor

I don't want to turn this into an Acura vs. Lexus vs. Infiniti thread because they're all great luxury automobile brands so I'll stop here. If you're comfortable with paying MSRP for the 2007 Acura RDX go for it. It's your money. IMO the 2007 Acura RDX isn't worth the $37,000+. It's all about perceived value and if you think the 2007 Acura RDX is a value, I guess I can't argue with you because it's your perception. Enjoy the vehicle.
Oops, I thought you were pushing for the X3, maybe I shouldn't have given you such a hard time after all. For the record, I don't think you can go wrong with an FX. . . it's different but equally well exeuted. Again, sorry for my misunderstanding and good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:42 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Actually I I stopped into a Lexus Dealer a few weeks ago to just look at the RX. Did not test drive or anything, just to look. The salesman offered to sell me one below invoice as I headed out the door. Funny cause I'm not in the market and told him so. Never had so much attention from Lexus before. Wonder what I could have bought it for if I stayed.

Something else I found interesting, my dealer has called and sent 2 emails in the past week trying to get me in to drive the RDX. They know I'm not going to buy one. I have a TL and MDX. I already told them what I think about the RDX and it's not good. I'm sure the RDX will sell fairly well, just not to me.

[QUOTE=ArthurKnight]I think we need to stop comparing the 30k+ MSRP SUVs with the 40k+ SUVs. It's fair to compare the other way and say, "I'm pissed at Lexus for not having an award winning navigation system and real time traffic like the Acura which is $10k less." But to say, "I'm pissed that the Acura doesn't have features that the come standard with the Lexus which costs $10k more," is rediculous. We really need to compare apples to apples here.

Right now I need a new vehicle that can do everything I want to do and not break the bank. I don't see Lexus running to give me that vehicle nor do I see Infiniti (but to be fair, I haven't looked either).[/QUOTE]
Old 08-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Dennis

Wasn't this thread about getting deals on an RDX?

OK, I got my deal.

I'd originally left a small deposit with my nearest Acura dealer before pricing was announced. When I came in for a test drive, the salesman made the usual noises about new car, low supply, big demand, not making any deals. So via Edmunds, I sent out a request for a quote to the four nearest dealers and I got called by all four. That included the one that had my deposit, but the quote request was in my wife's name and she doesn'y use my last name (not that I'm suspicious or something).

Two stuck with the "no deals" line. One offered me $500 below MSRP on the phone as soon as I asked. The fourth said they had deals, come on in. What they offered right up front was $800 below MSRP. My wife, bless her heart, said "Let's offer them $1500 below list." By the time we finished, I got $1200 off MSRP and $579 worth of accessories for $200 on an RDX with tech package.

I'd prefer not to mention the dealer's name just yet because I know that some dealers have a scam where they offer a low price and sell the same car to someone else for more money if they can and tell you that yours didn't arrive for some reason. I don't think that that's what's happening here. First, we got the price offer before deciding if we were going to take one from stock or wait for something else to come in -- the salesman offered one from stock, but I didn't like the color combination (gray exterior, taupe interior). Second, my father was in the car industry for decades and I can usually spot the crooks.

But if course it's the best crooks that are hardest to spot.

The one I chose was already on the list of incoming cars and is supposed to arrive September 19. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Jeb
Advanced

Sounds like a great deal you got. Congrats. I know you don't want to share dealer name, but can you tell us where you are? Also, did u end up buying from the original dealer you had the deposit on? Did that help?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Good deal. I'm STILL waiting for mine to come in. I doubt I'll get one below MSRP but I'm hoping to get $2k above bluebook for my trade in and a good deal on the accessories that I want.

I tried Edmunds. I got two calls, one from a dealer that didn't have the color I wanted and one that I told to call me back in half an hour but haven't heard back from him since. Apparently that sales guy has more important things to do. Oh, and an email from an Internet sales guy who told me he's out of stock but I can put a deposit down on one.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Dennis

Originally Posted by Jeb
Sounds like a great deal you got. Congrats. I know you don't want to share dealer name, but can you tell us where you are? Also, did u end up buying from the original dealer you had the deposit on? Did that help?
I'm in northern New Jersey and the original dealer wouldn't compete with the deal I got.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
You're so right... they look nothing alike:

He's right. The FX is a different platform (I own an FX and love it. Very fast and solid with great build quality)
Old 08-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Advanced

heres a side view of the RDX and a black FX45 i pulled in next to at petco....

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7...r/CIMG1539.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7...r/CIMG1551.jpg
Old 08-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by dhager
heres a side view of the RDX and a black FX45 i pulled in next to at petco....

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7...r/CIMG1539.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7...r/CIMG1551.jpg
WOW! I am shocked by their similarity in size.... I hate to say this, but the FX looks slicker and more stylish, IMHO.... that said, the equipment of the RDX (SH-AWD, Nav with traffic monitor etc.) is more attractive.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by schuchmn
but I didn't like the color combination (gray exterior, taupe interior). Second, my father was in the car industry for decades and I can usually spot the crooks.

The one I chose was already on the list of incoming cars and is supposed to arrive September 19. I'll let you know what happens.
Which color combination did you order?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:22 AM
Dennis

Originally Posted by Tonia
Which color combination did you order?
My only really strong preference in color is that I don't like black interiors. They look great but get hot as blazes in the summer sun. I picked carbon bronze with taupe. The dealer had two non-tech RDX's in that combination and I thought it looked really nice -- well coordinated and not flashy.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by schuchmn
My only really strong preference in color is that I don't like black interiors. They look great but get hot as blazes in the summer sun. I picked carbon bronze with taupe. The dealer had two non-tech RDX's in that combination and I thought it looked really nice -- well coordinated and not flashy.
My current car is black on black and I've sworn never again. Georgia summers are too hot and my office building does not have covered parking.

I can't wait to see pictures when you get it and way to go on getting a deal.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Advanced

I am wondering if any one has tried www.lotpro.com for a good price. I am considering an RDX for next year and i looking for how to get below msrp? I was looking at the 2013's and it seemed like since they are new nobody was interested in going below. MSRP.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 AM
5th Gear

Smile

Good luck, Jersey dealers are very knit-picky with Acura prices
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ilovedoughnuts
I am wondering if any one has tried www.lotpro.com for a good price. I am considering an RDX for next year and i looking for how to get below msrp? I was looking at the 2013's and it seemed like since they are new nobody was interested in going below. MSRP.

If you are looking for what members are paying for new RDXs, check out the 2nd Gen Forum (this thread is from 2006). Your best bet is to find a high volume Acura dealer in your area. They move a lot of cars and will be able to give the best price.