Ford Edge vs RDX (kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Edge vs RDX (kinda)

I'm probably gonna get flack for even posting this but press has started coming out about the new Ford Edge...which will join the ranks of the RDX and CX-7 in the CUV market.

I'm a sucker for design (hence my penchant for Apple and Sony products) and I've gotta say, IMO, the Edge beats the RDX in the looks department. The lines are cleaner but still aggressive. The overall shape reminds me a bit of the new MDX (which I love). And chrome wheels, panoramic sunroof, and LED tail lights to boot! I usually find Ford designs boring as hell - including my own Ford Freestyle - but this one is an eye catcher in person.

Of course the Edge's interior doesn't compare to the RDX...and I'm sure it's AWD system will pale to SH-AWD. No turbo also means no fun....but damn, if I didn't wish the RDX took a few of its styling cues from this car.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
To each his own...I think it's horrendous.

So you'd rather have something that looks good rather than works well?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:22 AM
Intermediate

Looks pretty good, however you can see that the car has a much higher center of gravity, like the typical SUV, so there is no way the handeling can match the RDX's. On top of that fact the SH-AWD on the RDX really works under all driving conditions and shifts wheel power based on feedback from the wheels. Most of the Ford products use a much more mechanical system simply by distributing the power to all four wheels and calling it AWD.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Dennis

You're right -- it's a nice looking vehicle. But depending on performance, features and price, it might match up with the CRV rather than the RDX, regardless of what Ford calls it.

Deciding that the RDX must handle better than the Edge is a little premature. It's probably true, but I'd wait for the test reports.

I haven't seen the specs on the Edge yet. I'll have to take a look.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Nice looking vehicle? Aggressive lines? The front looks flat like a brick. To each his own but it looks like someone stuck a cab on the back of a pickup truck and called it an SUV.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the front is ugly. Hard to tell from that picture with the strange lighting what kind of shape the entire car has.

As with any comparison, Ford Edge, Mazda CX-7, Honda CR-V, Acura RDX, you usually get what you pay for...well except the BMW X3, I don't think you get what you pay for there....
Old 10-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Racer

Haha, I guess I deserved all that. Had I the money, there's no way I would choose the Edge over the RDX...I'm purely speculating from an aesthetic point of view. The RDX is simply a great performer with a non-offensive design. But I admire that Ford would take a chance and break out into their own distinctive look...like what Acura has done with the new MDX...and I think they deserve a little credit for that.

Then again, Ford's sinking fast, so they really have nothing to lose. Like the CR-V or RAV4, the Edge might be a good alternative for those on a budget. And the pictures don't do this CUV justice. Looks much better in person.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Missin my TSX =(

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA r u crazy.... edge vs rdx? edge looks like asss man... lol
Old 10-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA r u crazy.... edge vs rdx? edge looks like asss man... lol
Hahaha, but man, that's what makes a "great" design. The fact that it's so polarizing. The RDX at best got a "looks decent" and at worst a "meh" reaction. I guess I just wish Acura took more of a chance with their design rather than playing it safe.

For the record, the RDX is still my #1 CUV of choice. I've been looking around for months now while waiting for the lease on my other car to expire and nothing beats it's combination of performance, tech, and handling.

Here's a quote from Autoblog.com on their first test drive:

"The design is starkly striking. The wheels are pushed to the very ends of the vehicle, the overhangs are short and the steeply raked windshield, coupled with a low ride height give it a sleek, yet deliciously chunky appearance."

"With so many other vehicles that could be considered CUVs, does the Edge offer anything different? Overall, no. It's a perfectly average vehicle, but the Edge neatly slots in between the CR-V's and RDX's of the world and in doing so, it creates a market segment that stands to redefine what average buyers require."

Link to the entire Autoblog.com article
Old 10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
The Lincoln versin looks better.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Boon
And the pictures don't do this CUV justice. Looks much better in person.
Where'd you see one in person? I didn't think they were out yet.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by sasair
Where'd you see one in person? I didn't think they were out yet.

I saw one in January at Detroit. Looks good IMO. But its not really RDX competition.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Instructor

I think it looks relatively good now, but a design that "edgy" will NOT age well.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Advanced

man, it looks really ugly to me, even the CX7 looks better.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the Ford Edge is based on the same platform as the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 (not positive if it's CX-7 sized, or splits the difference), but uses a Ford V-6 rather than the turbo-4. I think it looks like a cross between the CX-7 (rear) and MDX (front).
Old 10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
^ Probably the CX-9, the Edge is supposed to have a 3rd row, so does the CX-9.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Philbert
the Ford Edge is based on the same platform as the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 (not positive if it's CX-7 sized, or splits the difference), but uses a Ford V-6 rather than the turbo-4. I think it looks like a cross between the CX-7 (rear) and MDX (front).
I just don't see the MDX front in that picture at all.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Instructor

It's the grill...with both the MDX and the Edge they threw areodynamics out the window and said, "Let's make the grill fat and flat and see if people think it looks aggressive." It kinda looks like big hulking braces vs the sleek razor sharp teeth on the RDX. Personally I hate it and think it makes the MDX look ugly.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Advanced

i agree, the front of MDX looks so bulky...
Old 10-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Missin my TSX =(

i agree too... MDX is sexy man... RDX is nice... i think its sleeeeeeek.... the edge... honestly... i dont even see an "edge" on that shyt... looks a like fukin box... ELEMENT STYLE BABY...n those rims... looks sooo ricey hhaa... looks like something ppl would throw on a civic lol..... (even though the rdx rims arent that nice either...but still )
Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here try these two angles. I still don't see the similarities. the Edge really has a snub nose, bubbling, tall profile, short wheelbase look to it. The MDX looks.....well like an MDX. The MDX never looked so sleek until it sat next that Edge.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Missin my TSX =(

agreed hahahahah
Old 10-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw the MDX at the dealer the other day... That thing is so nice, price is way up there, still better than competition, but for my families budget...

Mike
Old 10-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
My wife and I have owned either Fords or Hondas/Acuras all our lives. Why are we now solely driving Acuras? Because Ford is wayyyy too slow with their engineering development and they need to axe their entire supply base.

Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln leather is terrible...cracks terribly after 18 months of use. The contract with their leather supplier should have been killed years ago. In addition, the interior plastics are very cheap...how can a company that's been around for 100 years not have a quality plastics supplier???

Engineering? My 1993 Ford Probe GT had a Mazda-sourced 2.5L 164-hp V6. Loved that engine. My wife (g/f at time) wanted the new '99 Cougar, so she got one with the 2.5L V6 Ford Duratec engine. 6 years later than when the PGT came out, yet this engine produced a weak 170hp (felt like 150hp). Now Ford is touting their new 3.5L V6 with 263hp... For the 2007 model year... Acura had a 3.0L V6 producing 270hp in 1991! (NSX). Ford either has no engineering talent or is so caught up in internal politics that product suffers tremendously.

Ford needs the Edge to do extremely well and I hope it does...it's a great company that's bogged down by unions, pensions, healthcare costs, and terrible leadership. It needs to change its corporate culture. Now. Hey, but at least the Mustang rocks
Old 10-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Type34
My wife and I have owned either Fords or Hondas/Acuras all our lives. Why are we now solely driving Acuras? Because Ford is wayyyy too slow with their engineering development and they need to axe their entire supply base.

Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln leather is terrible...cracks terribly after 18 months of use. The contract with their leather supplier should have been killed years ago. In addition, the interior plastics are very cheap...how can a company that's been around for 100 years not have a quality plastics supplier???

Engineering? My 1993 Ford Probe GT had a Mazda-sourced 2.5L 164-hp V6. Loved that engine. My wife (g/f at time) wanted the new '99 Cougar, so she got one with the 2.5L V6 Ford Duratec engine. 6 years later than when the PGT came out, yet this engine produced a weak 170hp (felt like 150hp). Now Ford is touting their new 3.5L V6 with 263hp... For the 2007 model year... Acura had a 3.0L V6 producing 270hp in 1991! (NSX). Ford either has no engineering talent or is so caught up in internal politics that product suffers tremendously.

Ford needs the Edge to do extremely well and I hope it does...it's a great company that's bogged down by unions, pensions, healthcare costs, and terrible leadership. It needs to change its corporate culture. Now. Hey, but at least the Mustang rocks
My view regarding Fords are very similar. It seems like domestic auto makers do not have any incentive to improve their product because there is no need to. There are still and always will be those buyers who really do not care about or (more correctly incapable to care about or discern) the quality of their vehicle as long as cars take them where ever they wish to go. One generation goes and the other comes......
Like you said, only car I like for now from Ford is the Mustang GT and sadly enough, that's it.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Of course you get what you pay for. For the Fords you pay alot less, but get alot less. When I needed an 8 passenger vehicle, and had a limited budget, I went to Ford and got an expedition. Had it for 3 years, and never had a major problem with it. yes materials were cheap inside and out, but I couldn't find another 8 passenger vehicle of its class with 4 wheel drive and towing and rear DVD and front and rear AC and 5.4ltr V8 and safety canopy for $32000, so for the things that really mattered to me, looks aside, it was a perfect fit.

The Edge is probably the same way. It's looks are being compared to the MDX in ways here, but it is also a $25-30k vehicle being compared with a $40-47k vehicle. I'm sure the similarities end with appearance comparisons and we won't find many people comparing the features and interiors. There are probably more comparisons to make with the RDX purely because of its size class. Just like the CX-7 being the same size. And the Edge does not offer a 3rd row option...