First Service - Mileage and Cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the dealers change the oil, they don't necessarily change the filter? I was under the understanding that when you change the oil, you also must change the filter or there is no point in changing the oil.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, welcome to the forum appster and thanks for your interesting (albeit dicouraging) feedback. I certainly would agree that many of us are being gouged by Acura Service!

There's no question that Tripp has the right idea - problem is that some RDX services (certainly not A1) requires specific knowledge and finding independent mechanics with that knowledge will likely be difficult for some time to come.

To address SolidState's remark - afaic, that is the correct practice (at least with conventional oil and filters). In their infinite wisdom, Acura calls for Mobil 1 (only) changes during "A" services and Mobil 1 + filter during "B" services (and that will typically get your oil filter changed every other oil change).
Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the welcome; I expect to become a 'regular' around here. Yeah, I'm pissed that Acura is taking advantage of RDX owners, like they are exploiting the fact that being a new intro, there aren't too many RDX-skilled independent mechanics out there.

I figure that my local gas-station mechanic can change the fluids and filters as well as they can, so that's where I'll be taking our RDX for those services. I think RDX owners should make Acura (corporate) aware of our feelings on this issue, I sure will... It's one thing for Acura to charge a premium for their services and another to charge double what it should cost!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by SolidState
When the dealers change the oil, they don't necessarily change the filter? I was under the understanding that when you change the oil, you also must change the filter or there is no point in changing the oil.
Numerous Hondas and Acuras only call for a filter change every other time. For example, my wife's TSX calls for:

10,000 miles: replace engine oil
20,000 miles: replace engine oil and oil filter
30,000 miles: replace engine oil
etc....

Personally, I think it's great that Honda is going to longer intervals and calling for the filter every other time. And I like the real-world maintenance minder systems too. In the past, there was this myth that oil+filter changes were required every 3000 miles, and a lot of people have been suckered into believing that. Total overkill, a waste of time and money, and it's harmful to the environment. Honda is dong the right thing.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Instructor

It's also useful to remember that A1 begins to be displayed at 15% Oil Life Remaining. You do not have to change the oil at that time. I waited until the Oil Life Remaining went down to 5%. For me this was 5300 miles, and an improvement over the my previous car driven and maintained under 'severe' driving conditions.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah that maintenance minder is annoying starting at 15%. I wish it wouldn't display that annoying service message everytime you start the car beginning at 15%. It's a long time till it reaches 5% or lower. Mines been at 15% for about a week now, and it is still at 15%. It will probably be another month or more before it gets to the point where I am going to make an appt.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Advanced

I for one completely agree with SolidState's point ...that the oil filter should be changed every time the oil is changed.

Whether you have to change your oil as soon as 3000 miles or not until 9000 miles (or at some in between mileage) depends on your kind of driving and the environmental conditions, but whenever it needs to be changed, doesn't it make good sense to change the filter at the same time? Why leave a dirty oil filter (and about a pint of spent oil inside the filter) when changing your oil? To some extent, that will contaminate the new oil!

If there's a sound reason behind this Acura (Honda) service policy, I'd sure like to hear it.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Photographer

Originally Posted by Tripp11
Wow - that's steep!! I guess it does include a loaner vehicle though.

My local wrench charges half that amount, performs the service in under 30 minutes, and provides coffee/doughnuts/newspaper while I wait. Plus, I get to converse with his mother who knows more about American Muscle Cars than most men.
seriously. are you cheap?

a 60 dollar oil change at the dealership is a good deal. factor in the following:

*5qt. mobil 1 syn oil about $7 dollars a qt. $35
*oil filter OEM $9
*disposal fee (may vary) $1

total:$45.00
labor $15.00

does this seem outrageous??? and you say your mechanic does it for half the price? does he lose money? i mean please explain.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Uh oh..... round two...
Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by pvsurfer
I for one completely agree with SolidState's point ...that the oil filter should be changed every time the oil is changed.

Whether you have to change your oil as soon as 3000 miles or not until 9000 miles (or at some in between mileage) depends on your kind of driving and the environmental conditions, but whenever it needs to be changed, doesn't it make good sense to change the filter at the same time? Why leave a dirty oil filter (and about a pint of spent oil inside the filter) when changing your oil? To some extent, that will contaminate the new oil!

If there's a sound reason behind this Acura (Honda) service policy, I'd sure like to hear it.

I think it's a matter of choosing between the recommendations of Honda engineers (who know way more than we do about this stuff) and the traditional thinking of mechanics and consumers that is: 1) dated to much older cars which might have needed a filter change every time and 2) influenced by quickie-lube shops and dealers who have been recommending too-frequent oil/filter changes for years.

That said, it won't hurt to change the filter every time, so nobody will criticize this for real. It's probably just overkill for a modern Honda engine.

BTW, I know a little about lube filters, and a used filter will not really contaminate the oil. The main concern is that the filter would clog up and impede flow. I have a feeling that the filters now have enough surface area and a low flow resistance that they can function beyond a single oil change. And I imagine the small amount of oil left in the old filter is peanuts compared to the new oil you add. This is where we can probably trust the Honda engineers, because they surely analyzed this in detail.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DNPhotography

a 60 dollar oil change at the dealership is a good deal. factor in the following:

*oil filter OEM $9

labor $15.00

does this seem outrageous??? and you say your mechanic does it for half the price? does he lose money? i mean please explain.

It will cost me about $26 for the Mobil 1 and Honda filter when I do the oil change at home. Usually takes 20 minutes of time, and then once a year I bring all the used oil (from 3 cars) to be recycled. I would probably feel comfortable paying $35 for this at a dealer (especially considering they pay less for the oil and filter than I do).
Old 01-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

everything is definitely more expensive living in the islands.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Choosing to not pay grossly inflated dealership service prices doesn't make me "cheap", it makes me smart. Perhaps you should open your eyes wide to the idea of actually understanding you could perform the service yourself or pay an independent to do the same exact service for a fraction of the cost.

It's "regular maintenance" which anyone can do - it doesn't take a dealership tech to change oil, replace brake pads or rotate your tires.

For that matter, other posters have agreed that turnover at the dealership tech level is high - therefore, I think having my longstanding mechanic work on all my cars makes me smart, not cheap.

*oil filter OEM $9

labor $15.00

Go back to the early part of this thread - do you see what I replied to??? I responded to clutch_72's comment of, "my first oil change cost $58.77; and that included a TL loaner for the day..." The original poster, clutch_72, gave no indication of the exact oil used by the dealership.

As a comparison, I dropped my TL off at my independent today and he changed my oil, checked fluids and topped off fluids for $24.99.

Now if clutch_72 would have indicated the dealership used a high-grade synthetic oil, then I might not have posted what I did.

IMO, $60 for an oil change, regardless of what oil is used (Mobil 1 syn), is still a little salty for me. As chunter stated, the dealership should be receiving a significant discount on oil, oil filters, parts, etc...

As I've said time and time again, continue paying those "stealership" service prices.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Newbie for Life

i mean please explain.
At some point, I have to stop trying to explain the simplest things to you......but thanks for calling me cheap!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Racer

......but thanks for calling me cheap!!!
I consider that a compliment!

Seriously though, some people are willing to pay the premium on dealer service because they enjoy the experience the dealer provides, particularly on upmarket nameplates like Acura and Infiniti. You can often get a loaner, which isn't available from my private mech, and for stuff like oil changes, at least there's free WIFI and a big screen tv/leather couches in the waiting area. Some people value this kind of treatment, and are willing to pay a little more for the extras.

Guys like you and me that have found competent private mechanics would rather spend the money on other things. Different strokes, different folks.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Photographer

Choosing to not pay grossly inflated dealership service prices doesn't make me "cheap", it makes me smart. Perhaps you should open your eyes wide to the idea of actually understanding 1 you could perform the service yourself or pay an independent to do the same exact service for a fraction of the cost.

2 It's "regular maintenance" which anyone can do - it doesn't take a dealership tech to change oil, replace brake pads or rotate your tires.

3 For that matter, other posters have agreed that turnover at the dealership tech level is high - therefore, I think having my longstanding mechanic work on all my cars makes me smart, not cheap.

4 Go back to the early part of this thread - do you see what I replied to??? I responded to clutch_72's comment of, "my first oil change cost $58.77; and that included a TL loaner for the day..." The original poster, clutch_72, gave no indication of the exact oil used by the dealership.

5 As a comparison, I dropped my TL off at my independent today and he changed my oil, checked fluids and topped off fluids for $24.99.

6 Now if clutch_72 would have indicated the dealership used a high-grade synthetic oil, then I might not have posted what I did.

IMO, $60 for an oil change, regardless of what oil is used (Mobil 1 syn), is still a little salty for me. As chunter stated, the dealership should be receiving a significant discount on oil, oil filters, parts, etc...

As I've said time and time again, continue paying those "stealership" service prices.
1 i know i could do it myself. i have in the past on my previous cars.

2 actually not everyone can do it themselves. for many reasons. like me. i live in an appartment complex and they do not allow working on cars in the lot. others may not even have the necessary tools. but you get the idea, i hope

3 like id said earlier. i guess its different here in hawaii. the techs at Acura have been with the company for a very long time. this is why i trust my local dealership.

4 so... Acura recommends Moil1, he took it to the dealership to get his oil changed. you dont think they used Mobil1????????? i mean come on...

5 i really would like to see an invoice for that service. here in Hawaii our prices are a bit higher do to cost of living. if i break it down to $4 a qt. of oil not even including the filter its already $20 like ive asked you before, is he losing money?

6 ...Acura recommends Mobil1 syn. oil. do you really think that they would have used anything other than... i agree with you on this part. they maybe getting their supplies at a cheaper cost. i dont doubt that. ITS A DEALERSHIP!!! how on earth do you think they make their money??? by selling their cars??? LOL
Old 01-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by sasair
everything is definitely more expensive living in the islands.
yup. we are use to higher prices. no way of getting around that. but im not one to be taken for my money. i know the value of it.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced

I hate to see this thread turning into personal attacks - we may not agree with some poster's opinions, but if it weren't for different ideas there would be no need for a forum.

While the cost of the A1 service is an important issue, I'm just as interested in learning the approximate mileage at which you received your A1 (15%) alert, the approx. mileage when the service was performed and what was done.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I hit the 15% mark right around 43XX miles.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Advanced

I hit the 15% mark right around 43XX miles.
Thanks sasair. What would you guess was the ratio of your highway miles to city (stop & go) miles?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

probably 80% city, 20% highway. I don't WOT very often either. I keep the RPMs low on average.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Newbie for Life

1 i know i could do it myself. i have in the past on my previous cars.
Fantastic! I love chatting with people who are knowledgeable and able to turn the wrenches on their own car!

2 actually not everyone can do it themselves. for many reasons. like me. i live in an appartment complex and they do not allow working on cars in the lot. others may not even have the necessary tools. but you get the idea, i hope
Well, it's been awhile since I've lived in an apartment complex; however, I do remember those days. My complex had garages/car ports and did not prohibit tenants from working on their cars; although, very rarely did I see anyone doing it. I "get your drift" though. Some people might be handicapped, either mentally or physically, and unable to change their own oil due to those limitations.

3 like id said earlier. i guess its different here in hawaii. the techs at Acura have been with the company for a very long time. this is why i trust my local dealership.
Fair enough.

4 so... Acura recommends Moil1, he took it to the dealership to get his oil changed. you dont think they used Mobil1????????? i mean come on...
Acura recommends Mobil 1? Really? I have a TL and my manual merely calls for a "premium grade 5W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal". Further my manual states, "Honda Motor Oil is the preferred 5W-20 lubricant for your vehicle." Relative to synthetic oil, my manual states, "you may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil."

As I don't own a RDX, I'm unable to read the manual. For my other vehicles, the manuals don't call for a specific brand of oil - the manuals merely refer to a "quality premium-grade detergent oil".

My apologies if I was supposed to know every single Acura dealership service center across the country uses Mobile 1 in all of their Acura vehicles, but I seriously doubt that is the case.....but after all, you did use 9 question marks followed by a "I mean come on..." so I probably am wrong. You're the omnipotent internet poster, so that's probably the case.

5 i really would like to see an invoice for that service. here in Hawaii our prices are a bit higher do to cost of living. if i break it down to $4 a qt. of oil not even including the filter its already $20 like ive asked you before, is he losing money?
Why would I lie about my mechanic's pricing? Nothing like calling a fellow forum member a liar - thanks. If you feel like getting "owned", I'll scan and email the invoice to you. Or I could scan and post it here for public viewing only to further embarass you. Or you could take my word, which would be a wise choice on your part, and accept the FACT that my oil change service was actually $26.14 (I actually pulled it and am looking at it right now). Yesterday I failed to include tax and shop charges.

6 ...Acura recommends Mobil1 syn. oil. do you really think that they would have used anything other than... i agree with you on this part. they maybe getting their supplies at a cheaper cost. i dont doubt that. ITS A DEALERSHIP!!! how on earth do you think they make their money??? by selling their cars??? LOL
As I've posted above, I'm unaware Acura recommends Mobile 1 Synthetic oil. If that were indeed the case, I would think my TL manual would state as such. Further, I would think my wife's vehicle would have a specific brand of oil listed as well - but it doesn't.

Oh well, we could go round and round and round about this.

I choose to take my vehicles for "regular maintenance" to my independent mechanic who can do the service for a fraction of the cost of a dealership service center and he performs the work competently.

You choose to pay the inflated dealership service center prices for regular maintenance as you believe it adds value to your vehicle.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
I consider that a compliment!

Seriously though, some people are willing to pay the premium on dealer service because they enjoy the experience the dealer provides, particularly on upmarket nameplates like Acura and Infiniti. You can often get a loaner, which isn't available from my private mech, and for stuff like oil changes, at least there's free WIFI and a big screen tv/leather couches in the waiting area. Some people value this kind of treatment, and are willing to pay a little more for the extras.

Guys like you and me that have found competent private mechanics would rather spend the money on other things. Different strokes, different folks.
I agree - different strokes for different folks. After all, while I waited for 30 minutes yesterday for my TL, I was able to talk to my mechanic's mother about her latest "toy" - a 1967 Chevrolete Chevelle she just purchased and is in the process of restoring. She knows I've got a soft spot for those cars!!

So, some people pay the premium price for fancy couches, plasma TV's, WIFI, etc... and I pay my pricing so I can sit in the office and talk muscle cars.

Anyways, today is a great day in Indy as the Colts did the improbable - went on the road and beat, what the media would tell you, a superior, stronger, faster, meaner football team.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Acura recommends Mobil 1? Really? I have a TL and my manual merely calls for a "premium grade 5W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal". Further my manual states, "Honda Motor Oil is the preferred 5W-20 lubricant for your vehicle." Relative to synthetic oil, my manual states, "you may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil."
Acura requires Mobil 1 Synthetic or equivalent with the HTO-06 certification for the RDX. As far as I know the only two that have received certification so far are Mobil 1 and Penzoil Platinum. Thats not to say that others aren't good enough, they just haven't been certified yet.

Mobil 1 is even printed right on the oil cap!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Newbie for Life

Acura requires Mobil 1 Synthetic or equivalent with the HTO-06 certification for the RDX. As far as I know the only two that have received certification so far are Mobil 1 and Penzoil Platinum. Thats not to say that others aren't good enough, they just haven't been certified yet.

Mobil 1 is even printed right on the oil cap!
Thanks for the info!!! I find it a bit odd that Acura would align itself with one particular motor oil company...or perhaps, it's more common than I think!

Do you know of any other manufacturers which specifically refer to a brand of oil?

Learn something every day on these forums!! Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:50 PM

There are numerous cars factory filled with Mobil-1 nowadays.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by c_hunter
There are numerous cars factory filled with Mobil-1 nowadays.
Does the RDX manual refer to Mobil 1 Synthetic?
Old 01-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Photographer

Tripp11 so are you planning to get a RDX?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Newbie for Life

Tripp11 so are you planning to get a RDX?
Yes sir - when my lease on my TL is up in June/July. The SH-AWD and the dry/wet handling which comes with it appeals to me for a daily driver. Plus, with the birth of our first child (actually an Airedale Terrier but it's a start) coming this Summer, I could use the extra cargo and fold down seats to haul the pup around.

With any car purchase, my search and research starts early - typically 6 months or so prior to the transaction. Typically, I like to know more about the vehicle I'm purchasing than the salesman selling me the car. One of my OCD qualities my wife says I exhibit on a daily basis.

BTW, great photographs of your white RDX. Are you a pro or just do it as a hobby?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Speaking of the service manual, I got the full RDX Service Manual for a Christmas gift. It is quite detailed at just under 3.25" thick (see pic below). I've got a lot of reading to do.

mines not that big lol
Old 01-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Photographer

Yes sir - when my lease on my TL is up in June/July. The SH-AWD and the dry/wet handling which comes with it appeals to me for a daily driver. Plus, with the birth of our first child (actually an Airedale Terrier but it's a start) coming this Summer, I could use the extra cargo and fold down seats to haul the pup around.

With any car purchase, my search and research starts early - typically 6 months or so prior to the transaction. Typically, I like to know more about the vehicle I'm purchasing than the salesman selling me the car. One of my OCD qualities my wife says I exhibit on a daily basis.

BTW, great photographs of your white RDX. Are you a pro or just do it as a hobby?
thanks. semi pro/hobbiest. i actually went down to the dealer to purchase a 06 TL. had all the papers ready then i saw the RDX, test drove it and fell in love. we also loved the extra space it had. the SH-AWD is great! nothing like it.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Acura's recommended mileage for oil changes?

could someone please tell me what is the manafacturer's recommended interval for oil changes on the RDX? For my TSX it is a nice 10,000 miles and I love that. I'm assuming it's not quite that much for the RDX or are people just checking the oil life indicator on the computer? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Instructor

The manufacturer's recommendation is the computer recommendation, ie. to use the percent life remaining (page 330 of the Owner's Manual). The indicator comes on at 15%, but I waited until 5% which for me is 5300 miles. I could have gone to 0%, maybe 5800 miles? Your mileage may vary, literally.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Newbie for Life

thanks. semi pro/hobbiest. i actually went down to the dealer to purchase a 06 TL. had all the papers ready then i saw the RDX, test drove it and fell in love. we also loved the extra space it had. the SH-AWD is great! nothing like it.
Well, for a semi-pro/hobbiest, it's pretty good. It's good to have an outlet for that creative ability which everyone has inside them. I dabble with abstract acrylic on canvas when I'm not tied up with work, family, Colts or open-wheel racing.....which is just about never.

The TL is a fantastic handling car, for a FWD vehicle, and the styling (inside and out) is superb. However, I agree with you - when I drove the RDX, it was amazing. Such a fine balance of cargo, handling, quickness, luxury, techno gadgets, etc... More than likely, it will be my next vehicle.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Madison3
The manufacturer's recommendation is the computer recommendation, ie. to use the percent life remaining (page 330 of the Owner's Manual). The indicator comes on at 15%, but I waited until 5% which for me is 5300 miles. I could have gone to 0%, maybe 5800 miles? Your mileage may vary, literally.
Mine just dropped to 10% at about 46XX miles..... I think I'll be getting my service done right around 5000 which should be right around 5% but that is perfectly OK by me. I expect 0% for me would be right around 5500.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pvsurfer
I hate to see this thread turning into personal attacks - we may not agree with some poster's opinions, but if it weren't for different ideas there would be no need for a forum.

While the cost of the A1 service is an important issue, I'm just as interested in learning the approximate mileage at which you received your A1 (15%) alert, the approx. mileage when the service was performed and what was done.

Thanks!
I already reported that I had to caugh-up $126 for A1 service from dealer - ouch!

A1 indication came on at 3980 miles (15% oil life remaing).
Service performed at 4170 miles (about 10% oil life remaining).
Service consisted of oil change (Mobil 1), tire rotation and wash.

Over those miles, I would say our RDX saw about 70% city driving and 30% highway driving.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Advanced

My dealer in AZ said the first 3 oil changes are free. I am not due for some tiime yet and was wondering if that includes a rotation. The guys at Discount Tire said rotation on AWD vehicles does not do much unless there is some excessive wear on one of the tires.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyR
My dealer in AZ said the first 3 oil changes are free. I am not due for some tiime yet and was wondering if that includes a rotation. The guys at Discount Tire said rotation on AWD vehicles does not do much unless there is some excessive wear on one of the tires.
Rotation is important even on AWD, because there are different power distributions, and the weight distribution is rarely even (as in any vehicle).

The RDX has an overwhelming FWD bias, so I would suspect the tires are going to wear like a FWD car.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear

My service alert went off at 1770 miles, 15% oil. They told me at Acura of Manhattan that the oil life would improve over time, because their oil was heavier than the originally put in the engine. The first service cost was $87.08. I thought it was expensive, the Mobile 1 oil alone was about $60. I have also been avereging about 10.8 mpg in the city, which I thought was pretty bad. The service people said that it was average for other drivers in Manhattan, and that there wasn´t anything wrong with my unit. They also said that it would improve after the first 2000 miles.
Other than that, I love my RDX.
Any thoughts welcome.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

wow do you sit idling for long periods or something? Thats pretty bad if it is normal driving.

And I wonder what kind of oil they put in your car? It came from the factory with mobil1 5w30 and recommends it. Did they change you to 10w?

Quick Reply: First Service - Mileage and Cost