First RDX Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First RDX Road Trip

Finally got a chance to take the family out for a little road trip ~220 miles from LA to Fresno, CA and back. Road was generally clear with some rain in Fresno. Impressions below:

Wanted to see how it did fully loaded with two adults in the front and two teenagers in the rear with the cargo area filled to the gills. The trip was on the I5 over a pass called the Grapevine which has some sections with fairly steep grade and peaks a little over 4000 ft elevation (or should I say altitude :wink: ). I was impressed with the passing power up hill with the load. No problem accelerating when I needed to but the boost was getting a good work out. A semi made an unusually sharp lane change in front of me (he was avoiding another semi who pulled out from a slower lane) and the RDX was very responsive to my avoidance maneuver - always felt in full control.

Prior to the trip, I was concerned about the stiffness of the ride and asked the family about it after the trip. Front was fine. Kids in the rear said it was generally comfortable but commented their heads bounced a bit on the head rests while trying to sleep. Both said the ride in the rear of the 05 TL ride was smoother.

Wife who drives the TL had a chance to drive the RDX around town. She was pleasantly surprised that is was nimble, easy to drive and did not feel like an SUV. She noticed a small upgrade to the Navi from her TL. After having programmed in a destination, she stopped at an intermediate location and turned off the car, returned, started the car and the Navi asked "would you like to resume your destination?" which her TL does not do. I like how Acura makes the small upgrades along the way.

The sound system helped make the trip much more enjoyable. Listened to several good CDs and DVD 5.1 audio on the way up and a few podcasts through the Aux input on the way back. The new Beattle's Love album is an interesting mix and great sound.

Averaged 20.8 mpg on the trip. Thought it would be a bit higher but I just passed 1000 miles and I am a little heavy on the pedal.

Got a couple approving nods on the road.

Overall, good experience for my first RDX road trip. I predict there will be many more in my future.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Advanced

So what color did you go with?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by Jirzlee
So what color did you go with?
Silver/Ebony with roof rack and chrome 18" wheels. I traditionally go with a black exterior but I no longer have covered parking at work and just can't keep the black clean enough.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for posting your insights. What you said about "always felt in full control" was also my experience on the three test drives I've taken. I am looking forward to getting my Black/Black RDX Tech hopefully in the next few weeks or so. Need to sell my Element first.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

well i did same in october but in canada.from Montreal to Toronto at 3AM:|..my girlfreind at my parents really liked the comfort in the Rdx but..while n the Transcanadian Highyway in Ontario..I was listening music and then i forgot that i puted the subwoofer on +6..and then my dad was like" Holy $hit My Back Is Shaking" loll..nwayz i really like the Rdx..
PS*Do you guys Dealer put a sticker near the sticker of "ACURA"inside of the driver side,that says "Acura Laval(well im from Laval,Maybe you guys is from another one),A Work Of Trust! "than my name and the name of the manager
Rdxowner
Old 12-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No stickers in mine...thank God.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Silver/Ebony with roof rack and chrome 18" wheels. I traditionally go with a black exterior but I no longer have covered parking at work and just can't keep the black clean enough.
chrome stock rims? or were u the one wit the ronjons?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 AM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
chrome stock rims? or were u the one wit the ronjons?
Although I really like Ronjon's wheels, I went with the chrome stock rims. Got a pretty good price ($600) from the dealer.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Although I really like Ronjon's wheels, I went with the chrome stock rims. Got a pretty good price ($600) from the dealer.

oh yea? nice man, i jsut saw ur pics... looks nice =)
Old 12-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Originally Posted by sasair
No stickers in mine...thank God.
lol lucky
Old 12-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

oh yea? nice man, i jsut saw ur pics... looks nice =)
so did u won?with the mazda guy
Old 12-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by Rdxowner
so did u won?with the mazda guy
hahaha... we didnt race.. he knew i would OWN him
Old 01-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

The trip was on the I5 over a pass called the Grapevine which has some sections with fairly steep grade and peaks a little over 4000 ft elevation (or should I say altitude :wink: ). I was impressed with the passing power up hill with the load. No problem accelerating when I needed to but the boost was getting a good work out. .
Hi rdxsteverino, I am considering the RDX as my next car and also live in Los Angeles,CA. I take occassional roadtrips to San Francisco and Las Vegas where the road can get hilly at times so I was pleased your trip went well. I can see how the RDX can boost over a steep short hill, but how did it do with a long stretch of incline? Since the boost is already firing up the hills, did you feel ample power ready to push up for more or did it feel like beating a tired car? I was worried the RDX would be a "slower car on the right lane, please"
Old 01-01-2007, 12:43 PM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by orbitwhite
Hi rdxsteverino, I am considering the RDX as my next car and also live in Los Angeles,CA. I take occassional roadtrips to San Francisco and Las Vegas where the road can get hilly at times so I was pleased your trip went well. I can see how the RDX can boost over a steep short hill, but how did it do with a long stretch of incline? Since the boost is already firing up the hills, did you feel ample power ready to push up for more or did it feel like beating a tired car? I was worried the RDX would be a "slower car on the right lane, please"
Glad you asked that question since I was specifially looking for the boost behavior during "normal" driving but forgot to post my observations. During level sections the boost only engaged when I was passing or accelerating - otherwise it was at or near zero. While on the hilly Grapevine, the boost was at about 1/4 to 1/2 level unless I was trying to accelerate when it engaged to full boost. There were a couple very steep and long inclines when the boost was maxed out and I needed additional power to pass. The RDX simply down shifted and gave me the passing power I needed, but these instances were brief and rare. This was with a fully loaded RDX. I wouldn't be concerned about being the slow car in the right lane.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you asked that question since I was specifially looking for the boost behavior during "normal" driving but forgot to post my observations. During level sections the boost only engaged when I was passing or accelerating - otherwise it was at or near zero. While on the hilly Grapevine, the boost was at about 1/4 to 1/2 level unless I was trying to accelerate when it engaged to full boost. There were a couple very steep and long inclines when the boost was maxed out and I needed additional power to pass. The RDX simply down shifted and gave me the passing power I needed, but these instances were brief and rare. This was with a fully loaded RDX. I wouldn't be concerned about being the slow car in the right lane.
Thanks for these detailed posts, Steve - quite informative and exactly what I think some of us are looking for.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

hahaha... we didnt race.. he knew i would OWN him
haha so sad..u would have won 5000$..that's right? lol nwayz..i was at a grocery store and when i came out i saw ppl who was lookin at the car and puting their face on the windows to chek and then when i started the car from far they like..uh..the engine scared them..srry i dunno how to explain..nwayz i hope u understand..and then i came t the trunk and they looked at me and they said.."this is an really really nice car.."i was like gee thanks
lol ppl are nice when u own a nice car..some ppl..
Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by Rdxowner
haha so sad..u would have won 5000$..that's right? lol nwayz..i was at a grocery store and when i came out i saw ppl who was lookin at the car and puting their face on the windows to chek and then when i started the car from far they like..uh..the engine scared them..srry i dunno how to explain..nwayz i hope u understand..and then i came t the trunk and they looked at me and they said.."this is an really really nice car.."i was like gee thanks
lol ppl are nice when u own a nice car..some ppl..
haha yea i understnad... u got a remote starter too?

yea i got a few ppl asking me to roll down my window when im driving to tell me nice car and how much n this n that
Old 01-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by orbitwhite
hey man, i know exactly what ur looking for... i go to san francisco every summer and i know the hills there... and some are ridiculous ... and i can tell u that the RDX would have just the power you need to get up those hills but the car does roll down if u let go of the brake.. guess its a little heavy... even on little small hills in NYC
Old 01-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

haha yea i understnad... u got a remote starter too?

yea i got a few ppl asking me to roll down my window when im driving to tell me nice car and how much n this n that
yea i have one,cuz i usually drive the rdx everyday to go to work but like im in Mtl the snow and the weather is cold so i had to start my car manualy so i diddnt like it so i installed a remote named "AstroStart Model 4204a"..with a LCD screen..all that For 429$ CAD..
Old 01-06-2007, 07:59 PM
600mm

Hi orbitwhite, I drive up and down the Cajon Pass every day and can cruise going up at 80mph and have plenty left to accelerate aroung the 18 wheelers when they make their all to common moves into the fater moving traffic lanes. Very Nice!