ECU & TCU software update(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
ECU & TCU software update(s)?

Is there any way to check the ECU & TCU software versions to see if it's the most recent?
How much would a dealer charge to check and update the software if needed?

I was able to check the software version on my Dodge Magnum via the Evic, and also got it checked and updated for my wife's PT cruiser, which actually helped a lot when it came to transmission shifting, so I was wondering what you guys knew about the RDX, so that I would get the latest ECU/TCU updates before sending out the ECU to Hondata for tuning.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
there isnt a update needed right now, but you wont need one either after the flash is done, since most updates would be fixing something tune related anyways. the tcu if any is seperate from the ecu so its not going to be a issue.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Pro

So, is there any way to check the software version?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:25 AM
Instructor

going to the dealer, but before you take the ecu out to send to hondata, i heard from a lil birdy that shaun church is doing things in north town
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by windowlickingood
going to the dealer, but before you take the ecu out to send to hondata, i heard from a lil birdy that shaun church is doing things in north town
"What you talking bout Willis?"
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Pro

Things like what, a stand alone tuner?, custom dyno tune, what is it?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Instructor

things like you not having to send off your ecu since the person himself that would be tuning it at church is doing work in vegas, its going to be way better if you get a actual tune and not the typical base map that is tuned in cali at sea level. having it tuned for here makes it even better.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wspy
"What you talking bout Willis?"
hes going to have 2 locations. i guess he is planning on moving to vegas. only problem is his tunes are almost 500$ but suposivley, he does dyno tune first then road tunes. and i guess he has tuned a few subies around here also and they are liking the tunes.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Pro

I checked his website, and I saw he does same day Hondata tunes, if he moves to Vegas by the time I get my RDX, I'll look into a dyno tune, and I'll do a few awd dyno runs before and after, we'll see how much it'll all cost first.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Not if but when. He is here quite a bit at the moment
Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Pro

I e-mailed shaw@chuch to ask him about the shop in Vegas, custom dyno tunes for the Rdx and same day hondata tunes and this is what he said:
" We have already opened up (about 4 months now).
There is no custom tuning available at this time on your RDX. We can do the reflash, but we need the ECU here in California to flash it (same day only applies here because we can just run it over to Hondata)."

So, we're back zero, only tune is Hondata and have to get it done thru a dealer.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 AM
Instructor

And this now makes me despise hondaduh even more
Old 09-29-2011, 05:07 AM
Pro

And this now makes me despise hondaduh even more
The only thing I hate about Hondata is that we can't send them our ECU's directly to them for tuning, what's up with that?
What I don't like about Church Automotive is that they've had a second location for 4 months and they never bothered to update their website.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 AM
Instructor

they can get away with it cuz people are gullable enough to just settle for that. and i really dont see why he cant tune them here also. i mean they are charging a lot for what they do and cant supply the other location for the needs of the customers.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:14 AM
Pro

they can get away with it cuz people are gullable
It has nothing to do with being gullible, it has to do with the fact that Hondata is the only choice for tuning the RDX, and we have to do it their way, perhaps they use dealers for legal reasons, if you have that much of a problem with it, contact Hondata and ask what the reasoning behind this is.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Instructor

i dont care to ask them. and they use dealers as thier bitch there is more legal involvment in using a 3rd party, but hondata is still liable for anything they do

there is a reason why we have boards like this to get more people involved in getting something done for the car. as in the downpipes we are now starting to get. this is only a gateway now, and as more manufactures start seeing the aftermarket demand, they will start making more products.

just because hondata is the only company doing base maps for this car right now dont mean that we have to settle. thats why its a gullable situation. as people would rather settle because they dont want to put in any real effort in something that can be done and look for other alternatives.

so do your part, http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/sho...&highlight=rdx

ive already started the discussion, im sure if we get a swarm of people to get in there requesting a accessport, they may try to work with us on something.. we are already half way there with the civic si already developed there, which in non turbo form is a waste, but the ecu should have similar read/write attributes. the only thing they have to do is write the code for the accessport to be able to access the ecu, the actual product is for that is done. so its really not that big of a investment for them to get this started. with them having a location in cali, i would even devote my car so that they could get it started.

now this may end up just like every other develoment stage part that we try to get done with the rdx but its still possible. these manufactures dont go out looking for people like us on these boards to base thier next venture on, we have to demand it.

(shit i sound like a protester)

reason why cobb is way better than hondata:

you have the ability to get tuned to what you have on your car by any tuner that tunes with accessport software or if you have the knowledge you can tune your own car.

you will have the ability to put the stock map back on say if you have issues with the car and have to take it to the dealer.

you will be able to have multiple maps on hand and be able to switch those maps on the fly, like a performance map, and gas saver map, valet map, ect.

you are not stuck with your car being down for over a week while you get your ecu flashed.

if the dealer flashes over the cobb map, you are not stuck with a 75$ reflash charge.

you get a hand held device that tells you quite a few things like boost, afr( which is useless unless you have a wideband) timing, egt if equiped and so on. so it can be used like a set of gauges.

you will be able to read cel codes and be able to delete or turn off certain cels that may be on due to the mods done to the car.

prolly more that im forgetting but you get the picture.

Last edited by windowlickingood; 09-30-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Instructor

another thing to note is, that they may not be supporting the civic fully as with a stock civic being only naturaly asperated, there is not much that can be gained with tunning, but granted, you are still able to tune it with aftermarket turbo setups. with the rdx being stock turbocharged makes it a way easier platform to tune with way bigger gains. if you notice most of the cars they support are mainly stock turbo platforms. so dont get discuraged with them not fully supporting the civic.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Pro

Realistically, if a hand held tuner was gonna be made for the RDX, it would/should have been done back in 08, nothing is gonna happen now, especially with the 2013 model looking like it won't even be the same engine.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Instructor

you obviously dont get it.. nothing like this gets done right when something first comes out. the demand for it has to be there first for it to even be considered. the handheld device is already made. cobb didnt start making anything for the civic till just recently. like in 2009. the platform it supports is 2006 to 2009. and it dont matter that a newer version of the car is coming out. or that it has a different motor. they obviously dont make everthing out there for every car that comes off the line right off the bat. it took hondata till 2009 to even start doing ecu flashes for the rdx that when introduced was in 2006. so you really need to look at this a way different way.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Pro

The only thing I don't get is answers to my questions in post 1.

Start your own thread if you hate hondata and wanna start a campain about getting a hand held tuner.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Instructor

you did get answers. its in post 4. go to the acura dealer. but other things led to what it is now. but if youre happy paying a lot for a little. then go for it.