Drove a loaded 07 MDX! Pretty nice, nicer than I thought it would be.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Drove a loaded 07 MDX! Pretty nice, nicer than I thought it would be.

I brought my RDX in for the A1 service, and got a 2007 MDX with 115 miles on it as a loaner.

I thought I would hate it (well, not HATE it), but it was sweet. It feels far more comfortable than the RDX, but that's to be expected, as it is not "sporty".

The dash is nice, I like the info display high up above the speedometers, but I really do not like the info display for the audio/temperature/clock where it is. It's much better on the RDX where it's right up high where you can see it while driving. On the MDX, its in the middle of the center console.

I brought a DVD-A with me, and the system sounds pretty much like that in our RDXs, as it's probably the same unit. The controls are a bit cramped, and harder to get to than in the RDX. Not sure why.

The interior is very classy. It has the black plastic wood, and it actually looks nice in this car (with the black leather interior).

The NAVI is the same and is right up high where it should be. Power and handling was pretty good for a car this size. The passenger seat was power (!!), but I did not see a tailgate release (or, I never found it). The key fob is exactly like our RDX, not keyless, but a switchblade, and there is no hatch release button.

This is a real classy car. I was totally impressed. I still like my RDX, but if I needed more room, I would be all over this thing. It's very nice....

Old 01-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Your MDX loaner was NOT the "Sport" model which I have, nor was it broken in engine wise......The Sport model has an option of "comfort" or "sport" setting of the Active Damper System NOT on the basic or Tech model.....I have both vehicles (07 RDX Tech & an 07 MDX Sport)
Old 01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the new MDX I think im going to push my dad to get one when the lease is up on his current cars and I think its a 4 year lease that started on 12/05. I think they are really nice and come with a lot. Still dont love hte grill but the rest is nice looking.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I really like the new MDX I think im going to push my dad to get one when the lease is up on his current cars and I think its a 4 year lease that started on 12/05. I think they are really nice and come with a lot. Still dont love hte grill but the rest is nice looking.
I agree the grill is difficult to get used to but the rest of the body makes up for it. I'll resist the temptation to draw analogies with a former girl friend.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:42 AM
wiz
Pro

I feel the MDX is just as sporty as the RDX, but maybe it doesn't feel as sporty since it is a little higher off the ground. I agree with Fabvsix though in that you didn't drive the Sport model as it is a completely different machine and is very sporty.

I think I am learning towards the MDX at this point just for the space and the fact I like that it sits up higher like an SUV. I feel the RDX is just a little too low to the ground for an SUV.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wiz
I feel the MDX is just as sporty as the RDX, but maybe it doesn't feel as sporty since it is a little higher off the ground. I agree with Fabvsix though in that you didn't drive the Sport model as it is a completely different machine and is very sporty.

I think I am learning towards the MDX at this point just for the space and the fact I like that it sits up higher like an SUV. I feel the RDX is just a little too low to the ground for an SUV.

My friend got an MDX last month (which caused me to become 'aware" of Acura). It is a great car. It will not handle like an RDX for obvious reasons, but it is larger and has a couple more bells and whistles that modern two-spouse-working families value.

I think many a "married with children" will opt for the MDX over the RDX.

For a guy like me who wanted some semblance of the sportiness and handling he enjoyed with his RX-8 with the additional ability of doing minor 'cargo," the RDX is perfect.

I've had it two days now (actually one day and two nights) and I love it!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Talking

MDX: Luxo Sport, the controversy grill: Acura's way of saying BLING BLING.....

RDX: TURBO TERROR as stated recently. Much too LOUD for me for daily driving and suspension too stiff when compared to the quite, smooth MDX. Now when you "select" sport mode it reminds me of the RDX suspension. I can assure you very few dealerships are letting folks "TEST" drive the Sport model because they are S O L D off the truck......go figure......
Old 01-11-2007, 07:47 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Your MDX loaner was NOT the "Sport" model which I have, nor was it broken in engine wise......The Sport model has an option of "comfort" or "sport" setting of the Active Damper System NOT on the basic or Tech model.....I have both vehicles (07 RDX Tech & an 07 MDX Sport)
I really don't know what it was. I know it had a NAVI and the DVD-A player, but I wouldn't know a Sport model from the Soccer-Mom model. (How can you tell?)

All I know is that after an initial "Wow" effect, getting back into my RDX was very comfortable, and over time, I would find myself favoring the RDX because of its size and handling.

However, that MDX was special!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Instructor

The sport model has a button by the shifter that says comfort.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

The sport model has a unique finish on the dash, center piece, sport seats with tiny holes like the Type S models had, REAR heated seats and a remote push button control to open the back hatch, offered only on the Sport model. Main difference is it gets "Active Damper System" by choosing "sport mode" over "Comfort mode".... Go to Acura's web site and check it out.....

Not fare to compare the RDX and MDX. RDX is more balanced and raw sport oriented.....(Terror Turbo)
Old 01-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Entertainment includes the power lift gate and rear heated seats, Sport only includes the perf leather, ADS, interior trim, and auto leveling headlights(should be standard).

The RDX and MDX are two very different machines, and really can't be compared other than they are both being passed off as "SUV's"

Mike