Drove a Jeep SRT8 Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a Jeep SRT8 Today

Well I've been getting a little bored with my RDX, so I decided to start shopping for something to replace it with.

I've been reading about the SRT8 and have been wowed with performance numbers and decided to check one out today. Here are my thoughts:

I love the way it looks from the outside. It has a boxy and muscular stance that just looks mean (especially in black)!

Driving the car is absolutely no let down. It handles very very well for any car, let alone a truck of this size! Furthermore, it absorbs bumps and potholes fairly well. The steering is light and fairly responsive. The exhaust note is just mean++ Of course, the car is just plain fast! I was doing 90mph in no time at all on the West Side Highway, and the thing felt stable and confident! The biggest complaint about the performance was the transmission and it's inability to downshift in a timely fashion. Furthermore, the car lacks "flappy" paddles and to some unknown reason you can't go from Sport to Normal mode without shifting into neutral first! So I was in Sport in 5th gear and then went to normal driving and the car wouldn't downshift automatically! I had to put the car into neutral and then back into drive -- not to mention I had to come to a complete stop! Absolutely assanine! The verdict on the looks and the performance of the car is that this thing is FAST! I mean headsnapping fast!! I could probablly smoke most Ferraris off the line in it! Alas, as much as I don't want to admit it, I am NOT looking for another performance car, so is this car good enough as a family-sofisticated-reliable-daily driver?

The interior on this car looks like something out of a mid-90s GM truck. Covered in plastic, cheap and chintzy looking, the radio bezel seems like it is aftermarket, the trim pieces have that pseudo shiny plastic look, and it lacks the overall look of modernity. Cheapness seemed to be the common theme of this truck, items such as having auto temp AC controls that are NOT digital (why not make it digital then?). Additionally, although it had an entertainment package for the kids in the rear it did not offer any seperate circulation controls for the rear compartment. Finally, the cargo space seems limited, at best even with the seats down. But what really did it for me was the fact that this test car with 45 miles on it already had a check engine light on.

Man I would love to tool around in that thing, in fact, I could even see myself bringing it to runs and all. But, the interior is just so, well, cheap...I just can't do it! This week I am going to go drive an MDX Sport. As cold as antiseptic the Japanese cars are, they have great interiors. Now if Acura would only offer a V8 in it's SUV!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Nice write-up. I absolutely agree that the Jeep gives an incredible bang for the buck but there is one thing I don't agree with.You mentionned the Jeep could smoke most Ferraris off the line. While I agree to some point, A 430 and a 599 are incredibly competent sports car and faster in straight-line sprints, and the word smoke is a bit of an overstatement. It's possible that it might be faster or as fast as a 612.In this case, you would be comparing it's acceleration with your Z06 which is certainly faster or as fast as the ones mentionned above. But the Jeep is 40g's and the ferraris are over 200gs.Just my .
I quote from Automobile Mag: "It gets to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds, runs the quarter-mile in 14.0 seconds at 105 mph"
Old 08-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned

:ibBeltfed:

the wife and I took a look at one to replace her 04 GCSE, but the inside was definitely a let-down. We didn't even get to the part where you drive the car due to its lackluster appearance.

I've heard they're absolute rockets, but the inside certainly does not match the outside or engine.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Every manufacturer should look at those center exit exhaust tips and take note, those are badazz!!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
You might want to take a look at a Trailblazer SS. I believe the interior and premium features are nicer than the Jeep's.

It has GM's excellent LS series small-block V8 from the Corvette. I considered it a better choice than the SRT-8 but, ultimately went with the RDX.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 AM
B A N N E D

Cool

Get a V8 X5 Sport
Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good info but this thread belongs in car talk....