Does the RDX have bugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Got in the RDX today at noon to go to Post office. Upon starting it died, restarted and poof: BRAKE SYSTEM P1609 in dash! Then went to Navi and listen to it say brake system make not be working properly, bring to dealership immediately! Hasn't this been mentioned by someone here ?
I see you found my orignal message about this. Here is what has happened since. The dealer and the national acura reps told me they were working on an update which they planned to have by Oct 31st but it has not come out yet. The national acura service center called me on Friday of last week to tell me it would be available by the end of this week. Apparently it is a software update of some sort.

In the mean time, about a month ago, I went out to my RDX and the battery was COMPLETELY DEAD and could not charge even after a jump. I took it in and they said that I had a dead cell in my battery so they replaced it. Since then I have had no repeats of the brake problem. In fact, I think that the SH-AWD has become more aggresive . I wonder if the sensors that control SH-AWD are dependant on constant current from the battery? Perhaps the brake issue is tied to a weak current from the battery? Anyway, Acura still plans to do an update. I will let you know how that goes.
The following users liked this post:
grwashington1 (06-15-2018)
Old 11-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm, if it is a software update and we all have the same software, I wonder if Acura will be issuing a TSB or recall on this problem. From how you described it, it seems like it should be a recall concern.

Thanks for the update, and let us know what happens....
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The reason the seat heaters are not in the back passanger seat is for the SIDE airbag sensors...the front airbag sensors are in the bottom of the seat because if you lean on the seat when the car is started it turns the airbag off. The side airbag sensor and airbag takes up enough room that i think the heater would not be able to be centered and who wants only the left of their back heated???
Old 11-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

The sensor actually covers most of the entire seat back, and the actual air bag is on one side of it, and the ODS unit is on the other side of it. So there is no room at all for the heater. Plus because of the technology involved in the sensor, a seat heater would interfere with the sensor which creates an electric field to sense body positioning in the passenger seat. It can actually sense where a child's head is to determine whether or not to deploy the side airbag.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Problem - Software Update

See page 3 in the November Acura Service News.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B061100.PDF
Old 12-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OC-RDX

Wonder if acura will issue a TSB on this issue. Hopefully they will have more info on which vehicles are affected and more info on what exactly the problem is.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OC-RDX

Cool find. How do you get these? Can you post aug, sep and oct.
Thanks in advance. Maybe the mods could make a sticky for these.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rdx4fun
Cool find. How do you get these? Can you post aug, sep and oct.
Thanks in advance. Maybe the mods could make a sticky for these.
Just change the 11 in the file name to a 10 or 09 or 08...

There is a sticky for it in the RL and TL forums...
Old 12-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Instructor

cool thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
Hmmm, if it is a software update and we all have the same software, I wonder if Acura will be issuing a TSB or recall on this problem. From how you described it, it seems like it should be a recall concern.

Thanks for the update, and let us know what happens....
I finally got the software update. I dropped my RDX off on Thursday for the software update and a creak in my steering wheel. The software fix was done on Thursday, but the creak required a part which did not come in until today. Anyway all things seem normal after the update. Unless something else crops up, I would now call my RDX bug free (except the ones stuck in my intercooler fins)!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

I bought an rdx the next day the battery went dead and I couldn't open the door with both of my manufacture keys. The dealer sales man came to jump the car and half hour later it died again and I couldn't restart the car. So Roadside service sent out a tow truck and towed my car to the dealer . Four day later they told me they replace the battery, then they droped the car of for me at my house.Then i took my son to the store the next thing i know the passenger airbag indicater was off. And my Ac was having problems because i tried to turn on the heat but it did not turn on the heat it just kept staying the same
Old 04-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Wow! I must be lucky so far cuz although I have only owned my RDX for two weeks, I have not noticed any problems with the car. I am LUVIN IT right now!

I wish the MusicLink was more robust with the 'no brainer' features one would expect (like easy navigation through playlists, artists, albums, genre, etc.) but I guess I can't win 'em all.... At least it charges while ir plays and when a call is made/received the iPod is paused until the call ends and then picks up where it left off automatically. (sweetness!)

One odd thing that I noticed (and it might be my ignorance) is that you cannot 'save your current position' as a destination using the controls. The only way you can do it is via a Voice Command. Strange...
Old 04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Acuras since 1988

What is that voice command? Didn't know you could do that?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Instructor

I have no bugs in my RDX cause I used...

Raid ® Fumigator creates a deep-penetrating, fumigating fog that flushes roaches and other bugs out from where they hide and kills them on contact. When activated, it fumigates the whole car, filling cracks and crevices and going under seats and floor boards to kill bugs, leaving no oily residue, just a fresh scent.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpeete
One odd thing that I noticed (and it might be my ignorance) is that you cannot 'save your current position' as a destination using the controls. The only way you can do it is via a Voice Command. Strange...
In what has to be the strangest combination of "where to put a menu item" - I found it one day by just poking around aimlessly on the various menu items. When I got there I blinked a few times and said something along the lines of "What the..."

Oddly enough if you press the jog dial to get the "map menu" and then select "Show Icons on Map" you will see a bunch of options you can access by sliding the jog dial to one side. You can display GPS information about the "Current Position" by moving the jog dial to the left and then it gives you the option to save it in the address book.

Yep, that's the first place I'd look...
Old 04-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Advanced

I will post the voice command tomorrow when I get to work. That way I can check it in the car so I don't post the wrong text. It was listed at the bottom of the Voice Command Help for the Navigation System....
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Race Director

Of course it will have bugs, it's the 1st year of a new model, which is a given. That is why I tend to buy the 2nd year or after the car has been released after 9 months to not get one of the first built models out to work out the bugs.

I bought the TSX after about 8-9 months after it was released. They did get the bugs fixed, but there were still some bugs. So, I will never again buy a new model of a car in it's first year of production.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:31 AM
XIS
Lizard King

no bugs yet. I buy first model years all the time (honda / toyota / Lexus and Acura) and have not had a single First Year issue....
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My G/F's RDX has 6000+ miles on it and has been perfect.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Racer

I agree that Honda and Toyota products have much fewer first year bugs than other brands. Even Consumer Reports magazine has no qualms about recommending Honda and Toyota models in their first production year, but generally not other brands.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 PM
7th Gear

Map Light

Probably one of the oddest bugs. The other day I noticed that my map light did not go off on the RDX. The map light has 3 positions, Off, On when doors open and always on. In the center position the map lights stay on while driving or when I get out of the car and set the alarm. They get slightly brighter when I press in the actual light. I now have to keep the map light in the left or always off position so I don't kill the battery. Any ideas? I plan to have the dealer look at it at the next oil change as it's not exactly affecting performance.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:22 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX LA
Probably one of the oddest bugs. The other day I noticed that my map light did not go off on the RDX. The map light has 3 positions, Off, On when doors open and always on. In the center position the map lights stay on while driving or when I get out of the car and set the alarm. They get slightly brighter when I press in the actual light. I now have to keep the map light in the left or always off position so I don't kill the battery. Any ideas? I plan to have the dealer look at it at the next oil change as it's not exactly affecting performance.
I'm a little confused by what you are describing. I could be misunderstanding what you are saying or you could be missing a detail about how the interior lights work. There are 2 ways to control them.

The 3 position switch is not the "map light switch" - that's the "interior light switch" which controls both map lights and the rear seat light. The map lights are also controlled by pressing on the map light lenses themselves. When you press on either of the map light lenses until it clicks then that map light will toggle between "always on, even when you get out of the car" and "do what the interior light switch tells it to do". Are you saying that even when you press on the map light until it clicks, it still stays on all the time?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 PM
7th Gear

My RDX is 3 weeks old, with a little over 1,000 miles and NO problems what so ever. I love driving the car, however, a major omission is the lack of a memory drivers seat. After my wife drives the RDX it seems like it takes several days of minor adjustments to make me happy! Our 04 TL has the memory seat function, and it sure makes life easier. Of course, I was aware of the lack of this function when I purchased the vehicle. In any event, I Love the car amnd wow is it fun to drive!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Sorry for being a little late on this but...

The Voice Command for saving your 'current position' is "Register the current location". This will place your current position in the Previous Destinations list and allow you to enter a label name for it in your Nav Address Book.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear

I noticed that when I first start my car (Base model) and turn on XM, it doesn't scroll the Name, Title, Category, Channel Name. I have to use the tune button to go up a channel and then back. From this point on it will scroll the info when a new song comes on. Surprisingly, choosing another preset doesn't work. You have to manually change the channel.

Anyone else notice this or is my stereo posessed?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Acuras since 1988

Thanks rpeete i'll have to try that next time I have to bury something.
tke398- My xm was doing something like yours, also the cd player wouldnt work, they replaced it. They did have some radio problems with the tech, I dont know about the base.
Might be you have a bad one
Old 04-13-2007, 03:16 PM
RDX Tech CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by tke398
I noticed that when I first start my car (Base model) and turn on XM, it doesn't scroll the Name, Title, Category, Channel Name. I have to use the tune button to go up a channel and then back. From this point on it will scroll the info when a new song comes on. Surprisingly, choosing another preset doesn't work. You have to manually change the channel.

Anyone else notice this or is my stereo posessed?
Now that you mention it - yes my tech model does a version of this as well. When I start the car with XM on, the info in the Nav screen is fine but the Artist and Title does not scroll across the upper dashboard display at the beginning of songs. If I tune up and then down it will start working again with the start of the next song. Haven't tried other variations yet since you essentially only get one test for each start.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

HELP!!! Fault code Brake System P16D9

I got the warning about a week ago but after shutting off the car the warning light never came back on. I finally found this in the Info screen of my nav that said I have fault code "Brake system P16D9". I haven't noticed any issues but I am trying to drive to Tahoe tomorrow with my kids and this has me a little worried.

Anyone know anything about this? The voice message says "The brake pedal may be harder to press as you apply the brakes. They brake booster may no be operating properly. Take it to the dealer..."

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Got in the RDX today at noon to go to Post office. Upon starting it died, restarted and poof: BRAKE SYSTEM P1609 in dash! Then went to Navi and listen to it say brake system make not be working properly, bring to dealership immediately! Hasn't this been mentioned by someone here ?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
First of all you should halt the trip until you get the brakes serviced.
You should create a separate thread with this issue, maybe someone will know how to help you, and if not you can let us know what happens in case that we run into that.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I think you're incorrect. If you want the fan 'on' but the a/c (compressor) 'off' it is easily done. Hit the "A/C" button and it toggles the compressor. Then set the "recirculate" button for fresh air.

Exactly... if you don't hit the AC button, but simply adjust the fan speed, you will notice the "AUTO" icon go off, but in reality, the AC is still running. So to have the HVAC system automatically adjust the temperature inside the cabin without the need for AC, simply toggle the "AC" button until the "AC off" icon comes on in the display. Then the system will adjust temperature with the drawing in outside air, heater and also fan speed.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Racer

First "bug" I experienced, was the CD changer (about a month ago). I ejected CD #1 & #6, then tried to load couple in their place. All I kept getting was a "busy....", followed by "retry..." and then a message "ejecting media - please wait...". This kept doing this for the next 4 min or so. I proceeded to shut the car off, waited for a few min. turned key back to ignition pos II and the same thing kept happening. It was stuck in a loop needless to say. I finally grabbed a "junk" cd to see if it would at least load in and it did, then spit it back out 5sec later. This somehow fixed the issue. I've never seen this happen to a CD changer unless it was jammed.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

funny when i read the title bug in rdx i was thinking bugs like spiders and flies and stuff, because there is a spider hiding beneath my windshield and it would pop out every once in a while,and mostly while im driving. i don't want to kill it because then it would smear on my windshied. i just hope its not a pregnant spider :P