Does the RDX have bugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Does the RDX have bugs?

After two weeks I've come to notice a lot of bugs in the RDX; things just seem to not work right. I making notes when I'm done I will give specifics. Has anyone else notice any bugs with the air conditioner, phone link, business directory, etc.? Or has anyone had any problems with their RDX yet? I'm not sure I would recommend the RDX to anyone just yet. At least I wouldn't recommend getting the tech package.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:36 AM
Advanced

i've had my rdx for over a week now, and i have yet to log any glitches. it works very well for me. the hvac works perfect for me, as well as the bluetooth phone link and business directory.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:55 AM
Instructor

The only problems I've encountered have been with the horn. It doesn't work all the time. I still haven't had a chance to bring it in and have it looked at.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Advanced

I haven't purchased an RDX yet, but I did see one at the dealership that had a problem.
The latch to fold down the rear seat was broken. Even though the plastic lever moved, the latch would not release the seat back. Kind of funny, the salesman was trying to show someone how easy it was, but he couldn't get it to release.

I saw some other posts on this site regarding broken paddle shifters & a sensor warning light issue.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Missin my TSX =(

dont f-in scare me guys.... haha
Old 09-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Unfortunately no quality control is 100% and there are bound to be glitches and bugs here and there. As long as you don't see multiple RDX's start having the same problem everything should be fine. That's why we have a 4 year warenty.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Advanced

wait, so you mean that the RDX isnt 100% perfect and glitch-free?

thats it, i'm marching back to the dealership and demanding my money back!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Instructor

I alright tried that. They laughed in my face and mentioned this thing called a "binding contract" then politely showed me the door. But if you have any better luck, I'll go back and mention that you got to bring back your RDX
Old 09-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's bound to be minor quality issues when a brand new car rolls out of a plant- that's why I'm waiting at least 6 months so all the minor issues can be addressed.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Missin my TSX =(

yea i know guys haha i wasnt serious..... and right, thats wat the warrenty is for haha
Old 09-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Unauthorized User

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
yea i know guys haha i wasnt serious..... and right, thats wat the warrenty is for haha
Hey Chyllin i see you're now going with the RDX, Did the cops ever catch that guy who crashed into your TSX??
Old 09-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by VegaTSX
Hey Chyllin i see you're now going with the RDX, Did the cops ever catch that guy who crashed into your TSX??
yea man, yea i ordered the rdx... not sure... i never really followed up on the case... as long as my car was fixed, i didnt care... cuz i no the NYPD would go and arrest him... they r pathetic... but eventually ill call and see if they arrested him... cuz they did get the plates... and i know my insurance is dealing with their insurance...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Advanced

I've had some quirks

I have had a few issues, and one of them has me rather concerned. I would be a lot less concerned if I could get an answer out of my dealer or Acura customer care, but I have been left in limbo for a couple of weeks now.

The BIG concern is a problem with the braking system that has occurred twice now. Both times were relatively similar. When I accelerate at a moderate pace, just before the car switches to second gear, I hear a clunk, the car lunges as though the brakes have been depressed for a split second, and the brake system warning light comes on. According to the message display, there is something wrong with my brake system and I will be operating under reduced braking power and need to take my vehicle in for service. Unfortunately my dealership does not know what to do. They contacted the national Acura technicians, who told them this problem was something that had been identified, but they had not yet recreated it or figured out what it was. That was ~ 2 weeks ago. I have since hounded my dealer and last week tried getting an answer from the national Acura customer care line. Both have assured me they will call me back with a status update within a day however NOT ONCE have I received a call back over those two weeks from either of them . That's not to say I have not spoken with them, its just that I am the one doing all the calling after they fail to call back as promised. This occurred ~2 days after I got my RDX, and then again yesterday. I consider issues related to brakes to be VERY serious.

In addition to that, I have had issues with the navigation system cutting off the first part of the spoken directions. For instance, when it tries to say "In a quarter mile, turn left", I will only hear "ile, turn left". I have also had a problem with it routing oddly at times. I have made the same 250 mile trip twice now, and both times I was given a different route. Even weirder, after turning the car off and on again mid route, when it reroutes it will show yet another route. I think I have been presented 4 distinct routes for this same trip at this point. I am not changing the routing method in case you are wondering. I had a TL with nav prior to this and never had this problem.

I know this looks like a lot of griping, but beyond these issues I love my RDX. Cars are complex, and having a few problems doesn't bother or surprise me. Not having them resolved does. Has anyone else had or heard of the same problems? If so have you received any resolution?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dennarda
I have had a few issues, and one of them has me rather concerned. I would be a lot less concerned if I could get an answer out of my dealer or Acura customer care, but I have been left in limbo for a couple of weeks now.

The BIG concern is a problem with the braking system that has occurred twice now. Both times were relatively similar. When I accelerate at a moderate pace, just before the car switches to second gear, I hear a clunk, the car lunges as though the brakes have been depressed for a split second, and the brake system warning light comes on. According to the message display, there is something wrong with my brake system and I will be operating under reduced braking power and need to take my vehicle in for service. Unfortunately my dealership does not know what to do. They contacted the national Acura technicians, who told them this problem was something that had been identified, but they had not yet recreated it or figured out what it was. That was ~ 2 weeks ago. I have since hounded my dealer and last week tried getting an answer from the national Acura customer care line. Both have assured me they will call me back with a status update within a day however NOT ONCE have I received a call back over those two weeks from either of them . That's not to say I have not spoken with them, its just that I am the one doing all the calling after they fail to call back as promised. This occurred ~2 days after I got my RDX, and then again yesterday. I consider issues related to brakes to be VERY serious.

In addition to that, I have had issues with the navigation system cutting off the first part of the spoken directions. For instance, when it tries to say "In a quarter mile, turn left", I will only hear "ile, turn left". I have also had a problem with it routing oddly at times. I have made the same 250 mile trip twice now, and both times I was given a different route. Even weirder, after turning the car off and on again mid route, when it reroutes it will show yet another route. I think I have been presented 4 distinct routes for this same trip at this point. I am not changing the routing method in case you are wondering. I had a TL with nav prior to this and never had this problem.

I know this looks like a lot of griping, but beyond these issues I love my RDX. Cars are complex, and having a few problems doesn't bother or surprise me. Not having them resolved does. Has anyone else had or heard of the same problems? If so have you received any resolution?
Interesting - I had that very same thing happen to me with the brakes on my loaner. I advised the sales guy who said he would look into it. I hope it doesn't happen on mine!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Racer

That is scary as hell. Now that I read about the problem you've experience, I know it's going to happen to me today. It's just the way Murphy's law works.

My car is at the dealer today to get the RT Traffic to work. It has never worked since I got it. Yes, the activation signal has been sent 4 times already.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:11 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

So what problems is your RDX having? You said you would make a list.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Racer

The first thing is my RT traffic doesn't work but it could be just a setup issues. It's at the dealer so I should know by the end of the day what is wrong.

I don't know if this is a bug, however, the one thing I noticed is with the Climate Control. It seems the A/C is always on. The reason I know this is on is I hate A/C. I almost never use it. I only turn it on when it's very humid. What got me wondering was the RDX idle high very often like the A/C is kicking in and there is always puddle under my car as though the A/C was on. It's not in "Auto" mode and I have just the fan on set to low.

If I hit "Auto" then "OFF" then fan down, I've noticed the CC would do some questionable things. First the A/C is on even if you set the temp. higher than the outside temp.. I then noticed the "reticulate air" would turn on after awhile. I know the "Auto" has a semi-auto mode but nothing it is doing makes any since. I usually drive with the windows open and just the fan running low, vents open. I was wondering if someone could verify what I'm seeing on their RDX.

The other problems are probably bad design issues I think with the hands link and the business directory. It’s as if some GM engineers got jobs at Acura. (That’s a joke) I will list those gripes in a different thread.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:37 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The A/C isn't a bug it's how all Acuras are.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CL6
The A/C isn't a bug it's how all Acuras are.
Yeah, I just found out today when I was driving the loaner TL, still seems odd. I asked about it at the dealer and got nothing to explain why the A/C needs to run even when temperature set to hi. I thought it was bad to run A/C in the middle of winter. I just have to force the A/C off whenever I turn on the fans.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:20 PM
10th Gear

I have an RDX with the same brake problems. Not sure what it was. This happened when I did a fairly quick acceleration then I heard a weird noise from my brakes. It said I lost brake boost and needed to check with dealer. I stopped the car, then shut the car off. When I restarted, the error cleared form MID. I haven't gone to the dealer yet but will bring it to their attention.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by SolidState
I don't know if this is a bug, however, the one thing I noticed is with the Climate Control. It seems the A/C is always on. The reason I know this is on is I hate A/C. I almost never use it.
I think you're incorrect. If you want the fan 'on' but the a/c (compressor) 'off' it is easily done. Hit the "A/C" button and it toggles the compressor. Then set the "recirculate" button for fresh air.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:29 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The car will recirculate to cool or warm the car faster. Once it does that it goes to fresh air.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Strange Navigation instructions!

We took the RDX to Toronto, came back yesterday. The GPS decided to route us back to Rochester by driving OVER Lake Ontario. The mileage was like you were driving via road but the route was what I believe would have been the route the fast ferry would have taken. It didn't straighten out until we were 30 miles west of Toronto.

As a side note, it took over three hours to get over the border at Lewiston, positively awful!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I've noticed a few things for the past 432 miles to date:

AC in dual mode is not cutting the bill.....unless I'm doing something wrong....but have owned Acura's for years and do understand how their "auto AC's" work.....but this one is strange....

Heater in the drivers seat is NOT impressive.....compared to my RL.

Other than a bouncy ride, loud engine I do enjoy handing Honda Accord ricers their rear end.......And that is without WOT as I've not broken her in yet......
Old 11-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a spider in mine last week, but I got rid of it. that was the only bug I've noticed....

What exactly don't you like about the seat heater? Didn't know a seat heater could be impressive. What does your RL do to impress you?

Mine seems to work great, or at least normally. Heats up pretty fast, the Hi level gets pretty hot, the low level is very comfortable. I love using the hi heat on my back after playing hockey, it works wonders.

Care to elaborate on the AC being strange? I really haven't noticed anything about the climate control, which is guess is a good thing. I'd only notice if it wasn't doing it's job right. Anytime I need to make a change like putting the defrost on or something like that, it has been great. the only thing I don't like about the climate control is that in full auto, the AC is always on. I rarely have the AC on unless it is cooling or defogging, so usually I hit the auto button to make it full auto, then hit the AC button to turn the AC off, then everything is auto but the AC. No complaints here with how it maintains the temperature in the vehicle.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

My RL seat heaters work much warmer and faster and maintain consistancy as the RDX doesn't. At least mine doesn't.....

My neighbor and I took a ride Saturday. It was in the upper 40's (rather chilly for us in California) and she had her side set to 70 and I was running hot/cold so I had mine set to "Lo" and it blew the same temp that she had her side set to which was 70.....Am I doing something wrong ? The only way to calibrate it was to "turn off the system" and "turn it back on" then it seemed to set each of our temperature settings......Either I'm doing something wrong or the system is not working "properly"....

So Sasair do you have "3" Acura's to compare notes as I do???? None of them are the same, very annoying to get in one to the other to another and all are have different systems, navi's, radio settings, one you have to turn the steering wheel to the right to lock it, the other the opposite, why can't that be the same? Emergency brakes some work by steppping on it, other you have to find a button to release....get my drift......annoyning to say the least......Its even better when they slap you in a loner TL that is completely different from all those others mentioned......it took me an hour to figure out the settings etc.......PITA!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Gee Fab it is quite impressive that you have "3" acuras....but I have had several Acura's since 1998 including a CL, TL, MDX, TSX and now the RDX. Also had Legends in 87 and 92, but they didn't have seat heaters. I don't notice any inconsistancy in my seat heater in the RDX, maybe you should get yours checked? Anyone else notice this? I also don't think I'd want it to get any hotter than mine does now. It gets pretty hot within about a minute. Maybe you have a heating coil going bad.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

ME 2 I HAD A SPIDERRRRRR IN MY RDX I WAS LIKE WTF!?!?! and my rdx had 2flat
Old 11-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I didn't mention all the honda's I've owned prior....
Consistancy with Acura's when you measure "quaility" - "Fit and Finish" between models esp. when made in the US vs. Canada vs. Japan is apparent.......that's all I'm saying.....otherwise I'm enjoying the car...

Yes perhaps there is a spider in those heating coils? ? ?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Regarding seat heaters, noticed the drivers seat heats the back part too, but the pass seat only heats the bottom. Is this by design or is something not hooked up? Speaking of heating, the steering wheel center gets very warm just after starting and the lights in the steering wheel switches do not light bright enough at night to read them - possibly the two are related?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

OK maybe not 1 minute for my seat to heat up. I kind of timed it tonigh when I went out. About 1.5 mins it is at the low heat level when switched on high. About 2 mins in it is probably about 80% heat. About 4 mins in I was uncomfortably hot and had to turn it off. It wasn't that cold outside.....

The drivers and passenger seat heaters are different. The passenger seat does not heat the back rest because of the sensors built into the seat for the passenger airbag are in the back rest. I'm sure they could redesign it so that both could be there, but I think alot of vehicles are the same way for the same reason.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced

I would think the passenger seat sensors would be in the bottom to sense weight, can not think of any reason they would restrict the heating element in the back. Cost reduction?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe the sensors are in the back so that they could put a heater in the seat rather than have a heater just in the back. I've never opened up a passenger seat to take a look inside there.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Got in the RDX today at noon to go to Post office. Upon starting it died, restarted and poof: BRAKE SYSTEM P1609 in dash! Then went to Navi and listen to it say brake system make not be working properly, bring to dealership immediately! Hasn't this been mentioned by someone here ?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I haven't heard it mentioned here, but it sounds pretty serious.

Are you sure it wasn't Brake system P16D9?

P16D9 - Powertrain Control Module Internal Circuit Malfunction
It means you have a problem in your fuel and emisions systems. Not sure why it displays a brake system problem, but that is what the service manual says.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Originally Posted by dennarda

Sasair:
Here is the quote from this very thread! I am not feeling the surge as he discribed but have the same warning in my system.....I just called my dealership service guy who is looking into this. I read the quote from this thread......
Old 11-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SolidState
The first thing is my RT traffic doesn't work but it could be just a setup issues. It's at the dealer so I should know by the end of the day what is wrong.

I don't know if this is a bug, however, the one thing I noticed is with the Climate Control. It seems the A/C is always on. The reason I know this is on is I hate A/C. I almost never use it. I only turn it on when it's very humid. What got me wondering was the RDX idle high very often like the A/C is kicking in and there is always puddle under my car as though the A/C was on. It's not in "Auto" mode and I have just the fan on set to low.

If I hit "Auto" then "OFF" then fan down, I've noticed the CC would do some questionable things. First the A/C is on even if you set the temp. higher than the outside temp.. I then noticed the "reticulate air" would turn on after awhile. I know the "Auto" has a semi-auto mode but nothing it is doing makes any since. I usually drive with the windows open and just the fan running low, vents open. I was wondering if someone could verify what I'm seeing on their RDX.

The other problems are probably bad design issues I think with the hands link and the business directory. It’s as if some GM engineers got jobs at Acura. (That’s a joke) I will list those gripes in a different thread.
I just tell the car to "turn off a/c" and it goes off and stays off.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmyR
Regarding seat heaters, noticed the drivers seat heats the back part too, but the pass seat only heats the bottom. Is this by design or is something not hooked up? Speaking of heating, the steering wheel center gets very warm just after starting and the lights in the steering wheel switches do not light bright enough at night to read them - possibly the two are related?
That is by design. I read in the Acura literature that heaters would screw up the airbag sensors in the passenger seat, so it's only bottom that gets hot.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 PM
10th Gear

Passenger side speaker seems to resonate during calls and talk radio stations. I haven't still been able to take it in yet. Anyone else having that problem?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Sasair:
Here is the quote from this very thread! I am not feeling the surge as he discribed but have the same warning in my system.....I just called my dealership service guy who is looking into this. I read the quote from this thread......
That was back in september, no wonder I don't remember it.

Dennarda? What was the end result of this brake system problem?

Fab, hopefully the service code you got will help your dealer figure out the problem.

Quick Reply: Does the RDX have bugs?