Cx-7

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by iforyou
Ok I guess CJW means these similarities between the X3 and RDX, and I agree too:

- 4 wheels, both are alloy wheels, not plastic
- they both have ABS
- both are more expensive than CX-7
- both are sportier and more luxurious that CX-7
- both look better than a CX-7
- both have 4 doors if not counting the back door
- both have a steering wheel
- both have power windows and locks, etc
- both have AWD

man, and the list goes on and on...now I really see how RDX is "copying" the X3....oh wait....I think many cars have the above things too right?

Lol. I think that pretty much sums up the validity of this train of thought.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CJW
Design wise, the RDX is a knockoff of the BMW X3. Don't think so? Park a RDX next to one and walk around it. Acura makes very good cars, but they too often follow what others have already done.
I think that the idea that car companies have been copying each others designs has become more and more common place today. Many of the new car designs are coming out of california where you have the same schooled designers working for different companies.

CJW makes a good point in that the cars has similar styling, it seems like all CUV have the same dimensions and body styles, the main difference is often the grill, headlight and bumper design. When you look at the motor trend article photos comparing the RAV4 , the CX7 and the RDX the styling is suprisingly similar.

Motor Trend - CX7 vs. RDX vs. RAV4 Photos

I am more concerned with the handeling and performance which is why I chose the RDX.

JD
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

Just a wild observation: take a look at the tail light of the CX-7 and ask yourself what it reminds you of. Ask someone to step on the brakes and also hit the blinker.

If the words 'phallic' and 'penetration' come to mind you may not be alone. It takes little imagination. Notice also the red coloration in certain areas. What was Mazda thinking?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to say that although traditionally Acura falls into the "near-luxury" camp...that I do think the RDX delves further (despite a few glaring shortcomings -- no a/c vents in rear, no power passenger or seat memory -- yet) than somer of these other CUVs. With its superior handling and traction control, sh-awd (which I know is a correction for awd understeer; nevertheless, it's there and it puts the car on rails) and yeah, some of the "geeky" items....such as voice-activated nav and rear camera...dvd-a, 410w stereo (or even 360w on the base), fully integrated BT, and solar-sensing climate control...all these items, at least for me, qualify as bona fide luxury automobile criteria.

For me, it's these class-leading items that stand out as GENUINE luxury.

It will be interesting to see what Land Rover and the others come out with in the coming months.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:05 PM
CJW
Advanced

"Mimics the BMX X3 too closely" -- Dec. issue of Motor Trend

Don't take my word for it...
Old 12-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJW

so what?

I like that it does, but looks better IMO. Would rather have that than a car that DOESN'T "mimic the X3" but looks like aerodynamic poop.

4 words: Racing stripes on seats.

Enough said (even though I could add a comment on the outside, which looks completely ridiculous, but I won't - oh, wait, I just did).

But whatever. Didn't want the BMW. Too expensive. Wanted the RDX. Was an easy call. Not nearly as easy as chucking the CX-7 from the list of possibilities, but not everythign is a complete no-brainer.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by CJW

You've said this already..for quite a few times..and yea you are right, as you can see from my last post.......I guess Acura should be more "original" and make their RDX more unique..such as having 4 wheel drum brakes......styrofoam rims, cardboard body panels......hmmm..right....not trying to be mean here...but......honestly...are you really 50 years old?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
CJW
Advanced

I am 50 years old but my friends say I don't look a day past 49.

I didn't like the stripe down the middle of the seat, was going to buy it with black seats where you can't really see it, but after a while it grew on me. I switched at the last minute to off-while seats with the black stripe and I love it. I'm not aware of any other interior that looks like the CX-7.

By the way, these insults are rather childish. Are you really 20?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mvwood
4 words: skid marks on seats.
Fixed

Mike
Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by CJW
I am 50 years old but my friends say I don't look a day past 49.

I didn't like the stripe down the middle of the seat, was going to buy it with black seats where you can't really see it, but after a while it grew on me. I switched at the last minute to off-while seats with the black stripe and I love it. I'm not aware of any other interior that looks like the CX-7.

By the way, these insults are rather childish. Are you really 20?
Like I've said, I wasn't trying to be mean, rather, I was just looking for an answer really. You know how when you typing, you can't really type into the tone into your sentences (at least I'm not good enough to do that)...so if I think I insulted you, I must apologize, but honestly, I never meant to offend you in any way. All I know is that I respect people who respect others. If I feel (feel being the keyword here) that I'm not being respected, then I don't see any reason respecting that person. And I'm 20 (in fact, i was still a teenager a month ago...so....I guess I still have some childish left in me)

Anyways, back to cars, hmmm you got a point there, the CX7's interior is rather unique, especially its seats. And I see what you mean by "grew on me." Just like the new BMW 5-series, I didnt like it when it came out, but then its styling looks better as time passes by....so may be this might happen to me with the CX7 in the future.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iforyou
Like I've said, I wasn't trying to be mean, rather, I was just looking for an answer really. You know how when you typing, you can't really type into the tone into your sentences (at least I'm not good enough to do that)...so if I think I insulted you, I must apologize, but honestly, I never meant to offend you in any way. All I know is that I respect people who respect others. If I feel (feel being the keyword here) that I'm not being respected, then I don't see any reason respecting that person. And I'm 20 (in fact, i was still a teenager a month ago...so....I guess I still have some childish left in me)

Anyways, back to cars, hmmm you got a point there, the CX7's interior is rather unique, especially its seats. And I see what you mean by "grew on me." Just like the new BMW 5-series, I didnt like it when it came out, but then its styling looks better as time passes by....so may be this might happen to me with the CX7 in the future.
For the nerds among us, research shows this to be a problem with text communication...
http://www.wired.com/news/technology...?tw=wn_index_2
Old 12-07-2006, 09:49 AM
CJW
Advanced

Excellent article. I especially liked the comments from readers.

Well, I think we've all flamed out on this... but who would have thought we'd get 14 pages out of comparing two cars? From now on I'll only post for TSX because that's the Acura I bought.

My last piece of advice: IFORYOU forget about RDX & CX-7. Go buy a TL with that money and enjoy your youth. CJW
Old 12-07-2006, 11:34 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Thanks dennarda. That happens so often and it's really not a good thing to young people like me. I often try to remind myself about that too, you know the tone is really hard to interpret especially if you are in a bad mood.

Anyways, CJW, I am already driving a 2G TL-S right now, and I'm still saving for a used NSX (or a new one if that's ever going to be possible...)
Old 12-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Longest Thread On RDX Board

is about the comparison with the CX-7. And they said these vehicles were targeted towards entirely different buyers, indeed!
Old 12-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Same target audience IMO...

Mike
Old 12-15-2006, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear

vs. Suby Outback XT Limited

Hi All -
New to forum, this is my first post.
I recently (last week) purchased an 07 RDX Base (GASP!!), after considering quite seriously the Subaru Outback XT Limited. I had not considered the CX-7 as I do not care for the body styling, red instrument cluster colors, or companies owned in part by Ford. I am sure it is a fine car though.
I was moments away from making a deal on a 07 Outback XT (with 5 speed auto, etc, as comparably equipped as possible to the RDX), the dealer was literally dropping their drawers on the Outback XT, I has not only in the hold-back, I was getting double hold-back, floor plan, and the $750 rebate, for a price just over $26000 with a few options. Now let me say the Outback was a nice car, not as nicely appointed as the RDX, but the power was similar and specs lined up nicely, plus the greater ground clearance (8.7"), SI-drive for fuel economy, and Subaru's AWD reputation were good enough to warrant my consideration.
Fortunately my Acura-savvy friend intervened and I went and test drove the (GASP!) Base RDX, which was a program car so well broken in already. I was very impressed with the handling, power delivery, and the audio system (stock/base) in the RDX vs. Suby.
In the end the following factors, some of which have been mentioned here already, won me to the RDX (despite the cost).
1. Acura Service - 2nd to none where I live in Colorado. I get an oil change and I want a loaner, no problem, no questions. Very professional.
2. Dealer - I get treated like royalty (well sorta) whenever I enter the dealership (this is my 3rd new Acura, 4th "Honda").
3. It's an Acura...I'm protected where I go by a great warranty, TLC (people seem to forget this service should it ever be needed), and iVTEC Turbo!
4. Paddle Shifters...more than just a gimmick that I have seen on other cars, once you get used to them (the suby instead of audio controls and cruise control on the steering wheen had these "up/down" buttons for shifting the tranny, kinda "kludgey".
5. Complete package - I did not need to add anything but a compass/mirror to make this car a complete luxury/utility package. That and maybe $100 of tint for the front windows.

Anyways, I know this thread is about CX-7, but I wanted to throw my thoughts in about why I stuck with Acura instead of going with a well-priced alternative.
Enjoy your turbo!
-mesocyc-
Old 12-15-2006, 09:23 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Welcome! Interesting comments -- I have an 05 XT. You summed up the vehicles pretty well. I am very interested in the RDX, except for a couple concerns about fuel economy and utility -- areas where the XT is a bit better for my needs (especially cargo space). In every other respect, I like the RDX better, especially now that I can get one at invoice. The RDX interior and overall styling are quite good. I am amazed you could have gotten an 07 XT for $26K -- that is about $3K lower than I have seen anywhere else.

Anyway, I am still debating over the RDX. As ski season ramps up, I am appreciating the XT a bit more, so the decision keeps getting harder.

BTW, regarding the transmission -- one thing I like about the XT is that you can use the steering wheel buttons -or- the shifter for manual control. I kind of wish the RDX had the shifter too. Sometimes it's a lot easier to use than the steering wheel controls.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:39 AM
3rd Gear

c-hunter:
Thanks for the welcome!
Yes it was a very very good price on the XT, hard deal to pass up, the sales person for Subaru was aghast when I broke the negotiations. They are treating their internet sales department in the local dealer as a "cost center" where they give the car practically away to produce volume for the dealership, and make up profit from non-internet (eg. non-educated consumer) and VW sales
My personal opinion is that the Outback XT would not be a poor choice for anyone, but you have to want to look like you live the Suby Wagon lifestyle, and give up a bit of refinement. It is a bulletproof platform though, as I can atest with my former 300+ hp WRX Wagon!
This week in the RDX I am averaging 23 mpg, 80% highway. Would prefer better, but I guess thats the price of entry on this vehicle. Its hard to stay off of the addictive boost though! Cargo space in my opinion is very generous with the rear sears folded flat, certainly more than my TSX or WRX I had. I also needed a nicer ride to take customers out in on occasion, so the RDX fills that extra task pretty well too.
I'm happy to answer any other questions about my experience. Invoice on a RDX is amazing if you can get it, I only got it (well, a bit below) since mine was the dealer program car. Yes, I am a cheapskate when it comes to saving a few bucks...being in sales makes me want to squeeze for every last dollar!
Thanks again,
-mesocyc-
Old 12-16-2006, 01:41 AM
sca
Cruisin'

interesting to me I own both a Subaru and Acura dealerships right next to each other and not anyone shop both stores yet
Old 12-16-2006, 01:51 AM
3rd Gear

sca -
I don't doubt that. The Acura dealer was surprised I felt that the RDX compared favorably to the Outback XT, I showed him how the specs lined up and he was sort of surprised, but kept saying "the Outback is NOT an RDX". Of course I understand they are different types of vehicles with different "cachet", but to me both Acura/Honda and Subrau (heck, throw Toyota in too) all make very good to excellent cars, so I should think that a buyer would test the market out before making a $30k purchase. Wonder if you will see more people cross shop these two vehicles?
-mesocyc-
Old 12-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Oddly enough, I was debating between a WRX wagon and the RDX for quite some time which is even a further stretch!

I used to own a Subaru and am still a huge fan of the platform but it's the interior of the RDX that finally won me over. Luxury (and my wife) won out over my "boy racer" tendencies (the WRX is such a blast to drive!) Fortunately the RDX still satisfies in the driving department, and in the end I'm actually SAVING money since I would mod the crap out of the Sube.

I'd still get a WRX as a second car though (should I ever need one)... but they really are due for an interior redesign...
Old 12-16-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sca
interesting to me I own both a Subaru and Acura dealerships right next to each other and not anyone shop both stores yet
I am the only XT owner looking at the RDX I know of, but I have run across 5-6 people on internet forums who have cross-shopped the two vehicles. We own an Acura TSX and the Subaru Outback XT, and I find them very comparable in terms of interior quality/style and overall refinement. Same goes for the RDX, though the tech model trumps Subaru with gadgets. I do like the slightly better gas mileage in the XT (20/26 for 2007), I think the AWD system is better for snow, and the 8-10" longer cargo area is better for my needs, but otherwise the XT and RDX are quite similar once you get over the wagon versus CUV difference. I think both are great vehicles (which is why I am having a hard time trading the XT for the RDX -- I like them both!!).
Old 12-22-2006, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

Being I was just shopping for cars and stumbled across your forum here, I thought I'd comment.

I test drove lots of crossovers in this class. The CR-V, the Rav 4, the Murano, and the CX-7. I didn't test drive the RDX because I did not want to go much over $30K, but I did look at it.

Bottom line for me was I wanted my first "luxury" car. The RDX has a better tech package and some of the missing "techy features" on the CX-7 are a bit annoying. The RDX might have a better ride (I wouldn't know) but at least according to Consumer Reports they were very similar. Safety is a big issue for me, and the CX-7 faired slightly better (with better braking).

The CR-V looked cheap and had no get-up-and-go. The Rav 4 with it's stupid rear side-opening door was out, and I didn't enjoy it's handling, plus no nav option. The Murano was plush inside but a wishy-washy driving experience (and terrible turning radius). Had there not been at least a $5000 difference I might have actually drove an RDX. Bang for the buck, CX-7 was the winner.

I ended up with a fully loaded CX-7 with Tech package for less than $30K. I could not have touched an RDX with Tech for less than $36K.

And anyone who is convinced that you buy an Acura for the name... I think that's really silly. It's not "impressive" to drive an Acura. It's impressive to drive a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or Infinity - and everyone knows it. I'd even go as far to say the Infinity and Porsche are the real head-turners in this class. Even the Lexus is an eye catcher. Acura? Nah. It's a nice car, but not all that different from everything else in the crossover club.

Good luck to you with all your RDXes. It's obviously a good looking and performing car and I'm sure you'll all get lots of enjoyment out of them. We all have different tastes and needs and the CX-7 just fit mine better. Never know, maybe next time around it will be an Acura
Old 12-22-2006, 11:47 PM

Actually, RDXs are selling at a healthy discount. The best deals I am seeing are $30100 for a base and $33500 for a tech. At those prices, the RDX is a lot more compelling.

As far as what's impressive -- different people have different ideas about that. For instance, I would not label Infiniti as impressive, but would Lexus. BMW, Mercedes, Porsche don't really excite me that much, but they are status symbols for many buyers. What I find impressive about Acura is that you generally get a lot of value and a nice, well built vehicle with excellent characteristics. Very few people will choose Acura for the status.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:13 AM
10th Gear

Well I guess as the newest member of the RDX club (2 mins ago to be exact) I better defend the Acura name! Well a bit of background..I was a longtime Ford fan, then Nissan...and now the hands down best vehicle I have owned..the RDX.

First, the Acura name. I have to disagree. I think the Acura name certainly carries some pinache. When I used to see a TL or MDX drive by, they caught my eye. In the same vain as a 911 or X5? No, but again, lets compare apples to apples. Price wise the Porsche and Beamer have quite a few $$ over the Acura equivalent. And as for Infiniti, well being a long time Nissan fan, albeit never again now, I really dont think Infiniti has much going for them. They really are a lost soul in my opinion compared to a Acura or Lexus. I have driven the FX and its nice, but its also alot of $$ for what you get. I really think Acura as a brand carries alot of weight. Does my RDX turn as many heads as the Cayenne? Prob not..but then again I have money left over to buy a Fit...

As for the CX-7 I find that another interesting topic. I own a RDX. I owned a Murano. I have driven a CX-7 on four occasions. Not to cause trouble, but the CX-7 is just not in actually either of these two classes of vehicles. It is the best looking of the three in my mind hands down. It has great lines and I actually like it better than my previous Murano. However, thats where its accolades end in comparisons. Driving wise it pails in comparison to the RDX. In fact I think the Murano has a better feel. Engine wise..well if you want to experience real turbo lag than drive a CX-7. Sorry, pls pls be reminded this is only my opinion. After owning two of these and testing the CX7, these are my thoughts. The engine is just not great to drive. As for interiors, the RDX is the gold std. I mean, when you sit down in the RDX, it oozes...it looks like you spent way more than you did. The Murano is not bad but no where near the RDX. But I just think the Mazda interior on the CX7 is cheap looking. And cheaply put together. I actually had the CX7 on the top of my list after kissing the Murano goodbye. But after driving it, I was not impressed at all. And I thought there were no other choices until I found the RDX.

So finally, I will bring the almighty dollar into this equation. In Cdn dollars, the RDX is $42k. The CX7 similarly equipped is $38k. The Murano is $43k. (all Non Nav) I always thought the Murano was the best value out there..until I found the RDX. I really think the RDX is the best bang for the buck for under $45k Cdn. A blast to drive, lots of options, Acura name and build quality, and 4 yr warranty. Yes I am biased since I own one now but I also think I am also slightly educated as well after all my experiences...and I am quite happy to grow old in my RDX...
Old 12-24-2006, 10:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

In terms of safety, someone in this forum has already posted that the RDX is one of the safest cars in North America. I guess it's not just the braking distance that matters. There are many other safety features that are important as well.

As for the brand name, I think Acura is right in the middle between Honda and BMW. This is also exactly where Infiniti is. It's not more prestigous than Acura. IMO Infinities are head-turners because of their exhaust note. But quite unfortunate, I find that all of them sound the same, and I find myself getting really tired from that noise.

Porsche, they are really well in terms of broadening its market, but this inevitably makes me feel that the brand, Porsche, is getting cheaper. To me, it was a name that could match Ferrari, but now, it's getting closer to the league of Mercedes and BMW. What I mean is that I see quite a few Porsches on a daily basis.

Anyways, I think I made point, so I better stop here before I go really off topic.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:29 PM
8th Gear

Nice overview St. Nic.

At $33.5 which is welll within reason around here (looking at the lots and talking to the Internet sales team) for a RDX w/Tech it's compelling. I am still thinking Acura has some "tuning" to do for the RDX to be in the Mid Lux-SUV class and be dominant. The MPG is horrendous, suggesting the Honda engine team needs to spend some time on a middle ground between minimal lag and "whoring gas" when you hear the turbo wind up.

Still tempting to get this a@@ ripper of a compact SUV though.

But $34k is a nice lot in Tenn.

Decisions, decisions,...
Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Well, I bought a CX-7 and here's why...

We were able to get a loaded GT (no nav) for $26,800 + TTL and 3.9% financing. I was partial to the RDX as I have a TSX but in the end, my wife and I sat down and ran all the numbers. The RDX's numbers just didn't add up. It was going to be her car so ultimately she'd have to like it and she preferred the looks and feel of the CX-7 to the RDX. FOr me, the RDX was on the small side in both the front and back seats. I agree that the interior is nicer as it should be being that Acura is a luxury nameplate whereas Mazda is not. I'm 6'1" 240 so I need some wiggle room and the CX-7 had it.

I want to throw a side note out there however...when I went to the dealer here in town for my TSX they refused to budge, didn't want to take my number, didn't want to deal, talk, nothing. They said they were the only ones in town so they can dictate what they choose. I ended up going through a dealer in Chicago since I was going on vacation there. They treated me like royalty, unlike the dealer in Vegas who treated me like I couldn't afford the car.
Six months go by and I really want to look at the RDX. I get a different person but the same goddam response...like I'm a chump and can't afford the car because I actually want to pay below sticker! I wrote that dealer off for good. We're getting a new one in town this spring and my TSX will go there for whatever it needs.
The Mazda dealer treated my wife and I well and after 6 1/2 hours of negociating I got my car for invoice and didn't have to pay for any of the dealer add-ons - window tint, homelink auto-dimming mirror or 'paint protection sealant.' I also got $2k for my Explorer which was only worth about $1k. I get a loaner/rental anytime I go in for service and the service advisor that was assigned to me is really nice.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by offset_98
Well, I bought a CX-7 and here's why...

We were able to get a loaded GT (no nav) for $26,800 + TTL and 3.9% financing. I was partial to the RDX as I have a TSX but in the end, my wife and I sat down and ran all the numbers. The RDX's numbers just didn't add up. It was going to be her car so ultimately she'd have to like it and she preferred the looks and feel of the CX-7 to the RDX. FOr me, the RDX was on the small side in both the front and back seats. I agree that the interior is nicer as it should be being that Acura is a luxury nameplate whereas Mazda is not. I'm 6'1" 240 so I need some wiggle room and the CX-7 had it.

I want to throw a side note out there however...when I went to the dealer here in town for my TSX they refused to budge, didn't want to take my number, didn't want to deal, talk, nothing. They said they were the only ones in town so they can dictate what they choose. I ended up going through a dealer in Chicago since I was going on vacation there. They treated me like royalty, unlike the dealer in Vegas who treated me like I couldn't afford the car.
Six months go by and I really want to look at the RDX. I get a different person but the same goddam response...like I'm a chump and can't afford the car because I actually want to pay below sticker! I wrote that dealer off for good. We're getting a new one in town this spring and my TSX will go there for whatever it needs.
The Mazda dealer treated my wife and I well and after 6 1/2 hours of negociating I got my car for invoice and didn't have to pay for any of the dealer add-ons - window tint, homelink auto-dimming mirror or 'paint protection sealant.' I also got $2k for my Explorer which was only worth about $1k. I get a loaner/rental anytime I go in for service and the service advisor that was assigned to me is really nice.

Wow, they were nice for the whole 6 1/2 hours? How nice of them. Hows the salesmans wife and kids, were you really negociating for a full day??? Thank god I used the internet and a few e-mails to get 500 under invoicee for the RDX.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonman
Wow, they were nice for the whole 6 1/2 hours? Thank god I used the internet and a few e-mails to get 500 under invoicee for the RDX.
I agree. I'm not sure why anyone does all their negotiating in person anymore. Every single deal I've made with my last three cars, I've shopped the same car within a 150 mile radius via the net and worked the best deal possible. Before I make the drive, I get the deal in writing and then I make the drive. I show up, look over the new car and sign the paperwork and I'm gone.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Wow, they were nice for the whole 6 1/2 hours? How nice of them. Hows the salesmans wife and kids, were you really negociating for a full day??? Thank god I used the internet and a few e-mails to get 500 under invoicee for the RDX.
Hey ass-pirate, I shared my experience and didn't ask for critisism. There's no room for your bullshit so until your brain grows into your 34 year old body go take it somewhere else. I happen to like negociating and seeing as I got the best deal I know of so far I'm not too worried.

BTW...unless you have some sort of 'plan' I'm willing to put money on it that you didn't get your RDX for $500 under invoice. Next...
Old 12-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tripp11
I agree. I'm not sure why anyone does all their negotiating in person anymore. Every single deal I've made with my last three cars, I've shopped the same car within a 150 mile radius via the net and worked the best deal possible. Before I make the drive, I get the deal in writing and then I make the drive. I show up, look over the new car and sign the paperwork and I'm gone.
(Double) ditto.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Instructor

I've only visited local dealers and the ones who were much farther away I asked for quotes or to not waste my time. The one who did give me the best quote eventually got my business. Only real negotiations were for my trade-in. Other than that, I got quoted invoice over the phone/email.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by offset_98
Hey ass-pirate, I shared my experience and didn't ask for critisism. There's no room for your bullshit so until your brain grows into your 34 year old body go take it somewhere else. I happen to like negociating and seeing as I got the best deal I know of so far I'm not too worried.

BTW...unless you have some sort of 'plan' I'm willing to put money on it that you didn't get your RDX for $500 under invoice. Next...

1. My note contains no critisism, just some plain old minor sarcasm.

2. Never heard of anyone that like to spend 6 hours with a car salesman. Perhaps you spent 6 hours of negociating because at 6' 1'' and 240 it was just easier not to get up.

3. I got the RDX tech for 500 under invoice, and I shared that info a few weeks ago when I purchased with this site. So let me know how much money you are willing to put on it and if it is enough I can e-mail you my purchase agreement.

Usually a nice message board, not sure you got so defensive on a minor sarcastic point on the value of time. Perhaps its time to refill the bipolar meds.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Instructor

2. Never heard of anyone that like to spend 6 hours with a car salesman. Perhaps you spent 6 hours of negociating because at 6' 1'' and 240 it was just easier not to get up.

3. I got the RDX tech for 500 under invoice, and I shared that info a few weeks ago when I purchased with this site. So let me know how much money you are willing to put on it and if it is enough I can e-mail you my purchase agreement.

Usually a nice message board, not sure you got so defensive on a minor sarcastic point on the value of time. Perhaps its time to refill the bipolar meds.

Happy New Year!
Whatever ass-hat. And taking shots at my size over the internet!? Please. That just tells me you're a tiny schmuk that probably got your ass kicked too much as a kid or your mommy didn't give the attention your little heart pined over. Thank god not all true automobile enthusiasts are like you. You're welcome to go walk in front of a bus now.

/ignore set.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Racer

There was no need to be a prick in your original post. While his namecalling is pretty juvenile, your elitist attitude clearly provoked his response.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
There was no need to be a prick in your original post. While his namecalling is pretty juvenile, your elitist attitude clearly provoked his response.

Thats what my butler keeps telling me.

Thanks Mr. Sparkle

Moonman
Old 01-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

When threads get to 15 pages or so the discourse usually devolves into flames and nonsense such as the above. It is not interesting to anybody but those involved.

What about the CX-7 and the RDX?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Instructor

these two cars are similar on paper but I think the similarities end there. It's all subjective really. I was partial to the cx7 but my wife doesn't like the way it looked which is again, subjective. I was looking forward to the mazda earlier in 2006 because I used to own an rx8 and had a bit of fanboi'ism and immediate favoritism towards the cx7.

Like any big purchase there really is no room for impulsive decisions so I set off on my journey to do some extensive research between the cx7 and the rdx (don't get me started on the Rav4, that's gotta be the ugliest chic car in this cuv class. even my wife hates it and I couldn't care less if it had better gas or v6 power) Anyway to make a long story short I thought the RDX with tech would be best bought at invoice and didn't think it was worth it's ridiculous msrp of 37k.

I paid 34k which is roughly around or a little more than a similarly equipped cx7 at msrp. A lot of the negative criticisms about the rdx wouldn't have arose imo if the price was set at 33-34k for the tech package.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mark_12345
Wife and I just got back from our test drives of the CX-7, X3 3.0si and RDX.

1) X3 - so so exterior styling. By far the best handling of the bunch. Felt solid and powerful. Interior design is purposeful. Very thoughtful touches. Heated seats were the best of the 3. Must have panoramic moonroof is awesome.

Wow. The beauty of diversity. I have the opposite experience. I think the X3 (2007) wins in the "plush" department but certainly preferred the performance and all-around drive of the RDX. It cornered much better at high speeds. The A3 handled better than either but it is a wagon. Once price considerations were thought of, the RDX for me was a clear winner.

And on a humorous note, one would think the Germans would have figured out by now we drink super big gulps here and not small 8oz cans of soda.

That being said, for some folks (like many of my friends) there is real utility in "beamerville" there just isn't for me. To configure a X3 ala the RDX Tech package requires a $49k sticker. Subtract $2k for included maintenance and there is still a large monetary differential.

PS: I've driven both vehicles twice now.

Quick Reply: Cx-7