Coolant level below "min" line with 140 miles on car

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008 | 10:16 AM
ddb
Instructor

Coolant level below "min" line with 140 miles on car

Purchased car last week with 111 miles on it. Dealership bragged during delivery about the rigorous 150-or-whatever-point inspectiont that the techs performed on the car prior to our picking it up. Even gave us a list signed by the service tech and service manager, with each "point" checked off as if it had been inspected.

Over the weekend (4 days after buying car), got the inclination to check the fluid levels myself. Found that coolant level was below the "min" line. There have not been any coolant leaks.

So, WTF?? Obviously, the dealer didn't do the inspection that they claimed to do. While I am not seriously worried about engine damage (the coolant level is like 1/4" below the "min" line), I am very disappointed in having been lied to by our dealership. I assume that if I violate the terms of my lease contract, there will be negative repurcussions to me, but what are the repurcussions to the dealer? To fix this, I have to take my time and gas to go to the dealer, leave the car there while they do the actual new vehicle inspection that they were supposed to do in the first place, miss some work, etc. I am firing off a letter to the general manager of the dealer (cc'ing the sales manager and service manager, of course), and will see what sort of response I get.
Old 04-28-2008 | 10:29 AM
Instructor

same thing happen to me last year, when i got my tl-s. hmmm you got me wonder too now.
Old 04-28-2008 | 12:02 PM
Pro

I'd ask to dealer to spiff you for your worries and time. Maybe negotiate 3 free oil changes or a complimentary detailing. Get something for your time and gas money. That's BS that a dealer would say that only to find out it's false.
Old 04-28-2008 | 12:50 PM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by phoward_15
I'd ask to dealer to spiff you for your worries and time. Maybe negotiate 3 free oil changes or a complimentary detailing. Get something for your time and gas money. That's BS that a dealer would say that only to find out it's false.
Well, unfortunately, there's nothing the dealer can really do for me, short of giving me cash (and seriously, this may be what I end up requesting). I plan to do all of my own service, and would never trust detailing to a dealership employee. Even if they offered a parts credit, I'd think I get get my own parts cheaper online or through NAPA.
Old 04-29-2008 | 08:49 AM
Pro

Well then I think you've already decided what you want to do. Good luck with it!
Old 04-29-2008 | 09:07 AM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Well then I think you've already decided what you want to do. Good luck with it!
Got a call back from the general manager who conceded that the coolant level must have been "overlooked" during the Total Quality Inspection. He offered to pick up our car, give us a loaner, and return the car after they have looked it over again. Don't know yet if I'm going to take him up on his offer.
Old 04-29-2008 | 02:19 PM
Instructor

Exactly what happened to us. When we went too the dealer they took it behind the scenes, filled it to the correct level and then proceeded to tell us that the level was perfect when we brought it in. Our next service a couple of months later was to adjust one of the rear door handles that stuck. This time they again took it out of our sight and lubricated the handle. This time I had to listen to a lecture from the service manager on how to open the door properly. He claimed they did nothing to fix the problem that was not there. There was a lot of stammering when I pointed out the lubricant dripping from the handle. I hate being lied to.
Old 04-29-2008 | 03:25 PM
Pro

Just off the top of your heads do you know the the MID screen alerts you when the coolant is running low? Because if so I'm thinking it should have gone off if you found the level below the MIN line.
Old 04-29-2008 | 03:33 PM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltngbg99
Exactly what happened to us. When we went too the dealer they took it behind the scenes, filled it to the correct level and then proceeded to tell us that the level was perfect when we brought it in. Our next service a couple of months later was to adjust one of the rear door handles that stuck. This time they again took it out of our sight and lubricated the handle. This time I had to listen to a lecture from the service manager on how to open the door properly. He claimed they did nothing to fix the problem that was not there. There was a lot of stammering when I pointed out the lubricant dripping from the handle. I hate being lied to.
Classic dealership service behavior! Thanks for sharing...
Old 04-29-2008 | 04:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddb
Got a call back from the general manager who conceded that the coolant level must have been "overlooked" during the Total Quality Inspection. He offered to pick up our car, give us a loaner, and return the car after they have looked it over again. Don't know yet if I'm going to take him up on his offer.
Have them come get it, but make sure the fuel tank is empty on it. That way you can have them fill it up when they bring it back to help ease the troubles. Better than requesting cash and with today's fuel prices that would be a good $50 spiff to you. I've actually done this with our old TSX a few years back, but the scenario was a little different. I dropped the car off and said while you're at fixing your f-up go ahead and fill the tank. They actually did it. Love the avatar by the way!
Old 04-29-2008 | 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

just top it off your self, stop being so girlish.
Old 04-29-2008 | 05:20 PM
Alpha Geek

Unfortunately this is the norm in dealerships around the country...the "certified checklist" is total BS, it's just done to make the buyer think "we really care"

Whenever I buy a car(about every two years) I make it a point to tell the salesdroid that I don't want any kind of dealership advertising on my car(dealer sticker or emblem, plate frame, stickers in the engine bay) Usualy I get allot of grief for this simple request.

Also, it's wise to check your mileage when you drop it off for service.
Old 04-29-2008 | 06:21 PM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by mau108
just top it off your self, stop being so girlish.
Okay, so how do you suggest I do this? The manual states to never add just water or just coolant, and to only use the whatever Honda brand of pre-mixed antifreeze. So should I go out to the parts department on my own time and buy the mixture (which probably only comes in gallon sizes) with my own money in order to add the 1/2 liter (approximately) that it is short?

Jeez, this isn't fear of working on my own car; it's frustration at being lied to by the lazy dealer service department. In fact, my goal is for the car to never go to any service shop (dealer or otherwise) unless there are any recall or warranty issues. The service procedures for the RDX look to be a piece of cake.
Old 04-29-2008 | 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator

take the car to them, get them to top it off, and be on your way.

I'd buy a jug and keep it in the garage or in the car for a "rainy day".
Old 05-02-2008 | 03:22 AM
Intermediate

Honda/Acura coolant...LoL!! they probably just add water..... mine was low after about 200 miles but not below the min..so I just added water.
Old 05-02-2008 | 05:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Honda/Acura's coolant is already premixed (I believe its Type 2) so there is no need for adding water, just pour the coolant in.
Old 05-02-2008 | 07:21 AM
Banned

Wow! So am I getting the message here that most Acura dealerships provide this kind of service? I just picked up my new RDX (my first Acura) on Wednesday this week and want to be aware of the kinds of things I should watch for with respect to the quality of work and service from the dealer.

I've had enough troubles dealing with my BMW dealership so I know how to handle most situations but that's one of the reasons I did not even consider buying an X3. I didn't want to continue to put up with that kind of crap service any more.
Old 05-02-2008 | 09:29 AM
10th Gear

yeah i think it overflows when the car is HOT! so you will see more or less depending on how much youve been driving or how hot the engine is. I am just going to the dealer to pick up jugs. Save me the hassle of dealing with morons and trying to tell them to do something for an arm and a leg meanwhile it takes 2 seconds to get a funnel and pour it myself and monitor. its like 15 bucks. I believe its not worth complaining and going through all the trouble for something simple as the coolant but either way if you car is still running fine the way it should..just take care of it yourself. Gas, time and frustration is not worth it just my Took me a good while just repair a small scratch i found in the car after i got it and lots of gas. Never buy from automalls especially ones from queens NY they are terrible!!!! After you get the car they dont want anything to do with you Good luck with that you have to go through.
Old 05-02-2008 | 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator

coolant is supposed to be checked when the motor is at operating temps.