Consider buying '09 RDX...thoughts vs competitors??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider buying '09 RDX...thoughts vs competitors??

Hi Everyone,

I'm coming out of a lease in a couple months and I am looking to purchase a new SUV. Ideally one on the "smaller/sporty" side of the driving experience. I am very familiar with Acura's, as I owned an RDX type S a while ago. I also enjoy the fact that there are aftermarket parts available for the RDX.

One of my concerns is that the RDX is starting to get a little dated at this point. I know a new one is on it's way which I'm not intersted in. The styling is horrible. I would like people's opinions on how they feel the RDX stacks up against its competitors?

My concerns are:

NAV system - from my short time playing with it, screen seems antiquated compared to what's currently being offered in the industry? Is the NAV system responsive? Does it generally work well?

Engine/Gas mileage - Get's a few MPG less then you would really hope for in a 4 Cylinder Turbo.

I test drove a VW tiguan a couple times, and I am also considering that. My big issue with the Tiguan is the trunk space is smaller then I need. I think the RDX has more room inside.

So any existing owners able to share some thoughts on if you were buying an '08-'09 RDX today w/ tech pacakge, if you still think its a good buy and good experience?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Tiguan??,

The RDX is not outdated, yet. There are better choices for less money, like the Kia Sportage. But look at it this way, you'll have the last of the really great Acura's...No Turbo next year.
I have the last of the sporty CUV's, and the last of the big V-6's. And I'm glad I bought when I did, it's going to be a long time before I can justify buying a new/er car agian.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because you might not get there."
-Yogi ...
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
if u like a fun to drive suv ur only choice is the RDX and the BMW X3. from ur concerns neither seems to be the right car. the x3's idrive system is horrible and the RDX navigation screen quality is stone age like. They both get horrendous mileage in today's standards (18-21mpg combined premium). I think for you a rav4 v6 le would be a better option.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
2007 RDX Tech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really think it depends on what you are looking for. I got a really good deal on my RDX and I love it. The one thing I love about the RDX is that there really aren't that many differences between the first year and current RDX's except the fact that they are technologically updated. The interior and cargo space is virtually the same. Between the Tiguan and the RDX you need to base it on what you feel drives better for you and what you like. Cargo space is almost the same and specifications aren't different but I always got horror stories about German lines here and America but I also know many who swear by them. You may need to expand your vehicle search and check out more if your not feeling the RDX. I am very pleased with mine and they hold their value. CR-V's, Highlanders, Rav-4s, and others are similar but lack luster and are very standard.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Only the RDX or X3? Id go with a Q5 without question, better ride quality than the 08/09 X3 or RDX, and equal in performance.

the 08-09 RDX is a dinosaur in terms of technology/navigation system. The nav is extremely outdated, even while Acura came out with its 2nd gen technology - they failed to implement any of it in the RDX.

Theres no denying the fun to drive factor of any year RDX - its performance is still relevant today, its a very fun car and you will grow to appreciate it even more with ownership. That said, its used price is still very high, and outside of performance, almost any other competitor offers your MORE in any area: luxury, quality, equipment, ride quality, and MPG.

I would take a spin in every competitor - Q5, X3, EX35 (altho its tiny - basically a G sedan with a hatch), GLK, even the Volvo is a nice ride.

There are many models that offer you more per dollar than any used RDX will. Its got performance nailed, but not much else at its used price point.

My guess is that 24k may be your price point, in which case, much of the RDX's "competition" may fall quite outside that range at a few thousand more in any scenario. So - like always, Acura will always qualify itself with a very attractive price tag - but you get what you pay for. Great performance, good cargo carrying, great AWD, short on everything else.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
big shot.

heres a great article comparing all of them

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
Old 01-15-2012, 09:59 PM
big shot.

another one comparing the RDX & X3...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
having loved my RDX for almost 5 years, it is a great choice. Fun is correct.

Traded her for an EX35 and retained the FUN factor, a bit more power, nicer and more comfortable cockpit and a MUCH better ride and about 3 more mpg but I still miss the paddle shifters and playing DVD-A's.... But that is all I miss. It is smaller, but I liked that. It isn't like it is too small and I don't ride in the back seat. My kids are bigger than I am now and they haven't complained once and it still hasn't prevented me from taking a couple kids and a couple HUGE hockey bags (and sticks) to their practices and games.
You can't go wrong with either an RDX or an EX35 but if you get an X3 or a Q5, make sure you have some warranty left.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried out the EX35 before getting the RDX. It didn't provide the expansive outward visibility and the sightlines of the RDX, so I skipped it. It didn't feel like it was a SUV, it was too low to the ground for my taste. It's really more of a G37 hatch than a SUV. Nice interior and performance though.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

I appreciated everyone's input. In regards to price range, I would like to keep it under $30K. The VW Tiguan I was looking at is right around $30K. I guess someone was surprised I put the Tiguan in the RDX competition. It is certainly right in line with features. Slightly less power, but those engines respond very well to mods as well.

I agree the the X3 and Q5 are others to consider. It seems tough to find a relatively low mileage one under $30K though. Not a big fan of the EX35. My wife just got a G37, so I sat in the EX at that time. Felt small inside, and the styling was not my taste.

Tough decisions!!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM
big shot.

if 30k is a ceiling, why not buy a leftover RDX NEW? seems like the best deal to me. Once the new model drops, id shoot right to the dealer for a leftover. If its 30k used, I would definitely move into the X3, Q5 arena and get more for your money.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM
2007 RDX Tech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also wait for the all new awesome looking Q3 haha

The Tiguan is certainly in the same category though, virtually the same just different features.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

[quote=Zub79;13482286]Hi Everyone,

I'm coming out of a lease in a couple months and I am looking to purchase a new SUV. Ideally one on the "smaller/sporty" side of the driving experience. I am very familiar with Acura's, as I owned an RDX type S a while ago. I ..........

There is an RDX type S?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The Q5 doesn't have torque vectoring like the X3 or the RDX, so I'd say either get the RDX if you're interested in value luxury, or the X3 if you're interested in something more than that. I think the X3 makes the Q5 redundant for those of us who are interested in sportiness.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only other SUV I'd consider besides RDX is 2010+ Lexus RX350, I would stay away from German brands unless you like frequint visit to dealer, especially Audi.

Last edited by theART; 01-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by theART
The only other SUV I'd consider besides RDX is 2010+ Lexus RX350 or Merc GLK 350.
those are completely different animals.....BUT, the 2013 is closer to the R350, but not close on the luxury side... I have a feeling that if they are trying to have thye 2013 compete with the RX350, they should have improved the interior quite a bit. RX350 is much nicer, but the RDX will be a little faster... BUT now they are not targeting the performance' crowd... Soccer / Hockey moms will still prefer the RX350 and the people that are in the sporty/performance crowd will look past the new RDX now.