Clay bar 101

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clay bar 101

I saw some posts on what types of clay bars to use but what I couldn't find was the how-tos?

More specifically, I'm a first-time so I'm curious, is there anything that could go wrong if I don't do it right? I just don't want to tarnish my paint or do any permanent damage.

If it's as easy as what I'm reading on all these sites (i.e. http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html) then I should be ok.

Do I have to wax right after I use the clay?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by phoward_15
If it's as easy as what I'm reading on all these sites (i.e. http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html) then I should be ok.

Do I have to wax right after I use the clay?
It's simple but hard. By that, I mean it is straightforward to do, but takes a lot of effort to do it right.

And you don't HAVE to wax right after claying, but it's the perfect time to as you've set up a perfect, smooth base for the wax to adhere to and for you to protect.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Pro

OK thanks DJ Iceman. Sounds like I just need to make sure I set aside a few hours to make sure I do it properly and don't rush anything.

I remember one time waxing my dads car when I was a kid and I was rushing the last part (the roof) and didn't "wax off" well enough and the wax ended up showing up on the roof. It only takes one mistake to never do it again.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok here's some pointer to make sure (if youve read it already, then good), as a neat freak myself here's what i observe in claybar-ing:
a) ensure you do not drop it, otherwise, chuck it or just use it for your wheels
b) ensure lots of lubricant. otherwise, you will 100% scratch your paint - (not quite complete swirls eg when you polish incorrectly, but you get the drift)
c) practice with a flat metallic surface first if you can (eg. winter beater?/some metal parts of your old electronic equipments for example).
note: feel the surface of your vehicle - if it's rough whatsoever, and you do not visually see rail or brake dust, you may opt not to claybar and just wax -- especially during the summer months

sure, you can opt not to wax after claybar-ing but that defeats the purpose. at the same time you can wax without claybar-ing if you dont mind your wax not lasting long enough (i dont claybar as much during the summer months).

that's my own practice. i dont really like claybar-ing a lot specifically due to your concerns. however i do it around 1-2x a year as necessary (usually 1x only). i know it looks easy, but if you want to be certain of "no accidents" you have to take time/patience - it takes at least 45 mins to do claybar the rdx. (havent done it actually but it takes me at least 30 mins for a car, hence the extra 15 mins for a new rdx - bigger/more plastic parts, want to be more careful, etc)

happy detailing
Old 04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I was also taught to go in perpendicular motion, up down or left right to prevent swirls. Yea lots of quik detailer in the area you're going to clay bar is the best. Prepare at least 2 hours to do a complete job on the RDX. The roof is kind of useless to claybar in my opinion, so save yourself some time there.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Pro

elcheapo - Thanks for all the great advice. I wax my car twice a year (spring and late fall). So I'm only planning on doing the clay-bar during those times as well.

pdpgps - Thanks also. I'll practice on a small portion of my wife's Saturn first to make sure I'm doing it right. I won't feel bad if I mess up. I agree with the roof as well. I wasn't planning on doing the roof. Just everything else.

I don't know if anyone has a specific product they like but I read about this and I think I might get the whole kit.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-polishing-pal-kit.html
Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Advanced

for claybar, everything (in general) is ok: mothers, etc. the product on your link is good. so long as you're not buying in bulk bins (eg dollar stores) you should be good for claybars. again the more/most impt thing is the lubrication. no need to "perfect" claybar-ing. just make sure you dont scratch your car by not cheapening out on the lube...

Originally Posted by phoward_15
elcheapo - Thanks for all the great advice. I wax my car twice a year (spring and late fall). So I'm only planning on doing the clay-bar during those times as well.

pdpgps - Thanks also. I'll practice on a small portion of my wife's Saturn first to make sure I'm doing it right. I won't feel bad if I mess up. I agree with the roof as well. I wasn't planning on doing the roof. Just everything else.

I don't know if anyone has a specific product they like but I read about this and I think I might get the whole kit.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-polishing-pal-kit.html
Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Boost Enthusiast

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=6,2,1,3