Canadian AutoNet 2010 RDX Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post Canadian AutoNet 2010 RDX Review

When the snow piles up in a surprise, overnight attack and greets us in the morning with mushy white drifts that reach over our boot-tops, that’s when an all-wheel drive vehicle gets the chance to show its stuff.

My tester is a 2010 Acura RDX, in Technology package trim (which basically adds navigation system with bilingual voice-recognition abilities to an already well-equipped platform); but it is the four-wheel traction I appreciate the most as I take to the roads.

Acura brands its version of the drivetrain as Super-handling All-wheel drive; and sure, I’ll go ahead and call it “super”, as it hasn’t let me down yet.

SH-AWD distributes the torque between the wheels according to where it detects slippage, and works in conjunction with the computerized stability-assist and traction control systems to provide maximum grip in any situation.

I get lucky with the timing during my period in the tester, and have it for a couple of days before the snow hits; so, I get to enjoy the RDX’s driving dynamics on dry pavement as well.

The turbocharged 2.3 litre engine brings very good, lag-free acceleration to the crossover platform; and combines with excellent brakes and steering feel to make the vehicle one of the sportier offerings in its class.

The chassis is the same as previous generation RDX models, and the suspension retains a “stiff” feel that makes the ride more jarring than some of its competitors, but definitely makes the vehicle feel more solid and stable when cornering.

Acura’s smallest crossover ute gets a refreshed outward appearance for 2010, with the faux-metal grille taking on the “grinning” impression beginning to appear on some of Acura’s sedans (the TL, for example). The rear end is also reworked for the new model year, as is the styling of the 18-inch wheels.

Inside, the RDX shows off some nice upholstery (the leather quality has been upgraded from the previous generation) and a comfortable front row. I have always liked Acura’s driver’s seats, in any of the models I have used, and the fully adjustable and all-day-supportive bucket in the RDX is no exception.

The rear row suffers from a lack of space for taller passengers, but provides good sightlines for backseat drivers with an elevated, stadium style arrangement.

The RDX dash hosts a lot of information displays, particularly in the Tech package trim; and is cluttered with enough buttons and switches to please any toy junkie.

Don’t let the trim level name fool you, either, for while the Technology Package brings the aforementioned navigation rig (with an 8-inch display) and upgraded sound system, even an entry-level RDX boasts a high level of standard equipping. Bluetooth hands-free capability, iPod connection and charging ports and rear view camera are standard across the line-up, though the camera display is viewed through the rear view mirror in base models.

Overall, I have to give the vehicle high marks all around; owing mostly to the all-wheel drive performance (sorry, the “super-handling all-wheel drive” performance) during my time in the vehicle; with little to dislike.

The main detractions with the RDX are a hard-to-see display screen that tends to get lost in glare during daylight hours, a tailgate that must be opened manually to access the cargo area, and a tendency to drink more fuel than most of its competitors due to its turbocharged engine.

Its sticker price might be off-putting to buyers looking simply for an AWD small crossover as well, as the RDX is priced well above similarly styled utes. Starting at a base of $39,990, the Technology Package model tips the scale to $42,990 before taxes.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Post Another Canadian Review

What’s great about buying a vehicle today is not just that they’re safer, greener, more powerful, better handling and light years more advanced than ever before.

It’s also that you can find one tailor-made for just about any lifestyle.

While this has created nearly as many market segments, as there are personality types, buyers have unprecedented choice, often having their cake and eating it too.

Take crossovers, for example.

CUVs quite conceivably combine the best of all vehicle types, the style, handling and performance of a sedan, with the higher driving position and cargo flexibility of an SUV.

All this with the safety and stability of all-wheel-drive.

A small slice of this segment (the entry premium category) delivers the added benefits of a more upscale look, more luxurious interior and an impressive suite of technologies to keep occupants safe, informed and entertained.

Vehicles like the Mercedes-Benz GLK350, the BMW X3 and the Acura RDX, my tester for the week, are all part of this competitive segment, which in my mind offers some of the best value for the money.

The entry point for these CUVs is around $40K, not much higher than where many of the non-premium brands top out.

Sure, we’re talking about base Mercs, Bimmers and Acuras, but you’ll find each extremely well equipped and with the build quality and cachet that goes along with a premium brand.

The Acura RDX, which starts at $41,885 (including freight and pdi of $1,895), has a new look, a more refined interior, new technology and better fuel economy for 2010.

Its new exterior is punctuated by Acura’s now signature grille, a bold, metallic grin that some like and some don’t.

That aside, the styling is sporty, yet refined, with large wheel arches over 18-inch alloys, an aggressively-raked body and windscreen, short rear overhangs and wide track.

From the rear, the black bumper fascia, large exhaust finishers, revised taillights and rear spoiler enhance the vehicle’s muscular appearance.

I’ve always liked Acura interiors, and the RDX is no exception.

The perforated leather seats (heated and power-adjustable up front), high-quality fabric inserts and soft-touch materials, LED backlit gauges (with progressive illumination), ambient lighting and ergonomic layout all contribute to what Acura designers describe as a “finely appointed urban loft apartment.”

I’ll take their word for it.

Other standard interior features include dual-zone automatic climate control, hands-free Bluetooth phone interface with steering wheel controls, multi-information display, rear camera displayed in the rearview mirror, power moonroof, USB connector and seven-speaker, 360-watt AM/FM/XM six-disc CD changer with steering wheel mounted controls.

Another feature I like is the lockable, briefcase-sized storage console between the front seats.

When it’s not swallowing your laptop of file folders, it has numerous dividers for organizing the cavernous space.

Back seats are comfortable and supportive, and offer no shortage of knee and headroom.

Behind the 60/40 split fold-down seats, you’ll find 788 litres of cargo capacity, 1,716 litres when folded.

The RDX’s cabin is hushed; even with the 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder running full bore.

Some of this is due to powerplant engineering; other reasons include the extensive use of high-tensile steel for more body rigidity (allowing the four-wheel independent suspension to work optimally), a slippery exterior shape, aerodynamic side mirrors and more.

But don’t let the cushy comforts fool you — the RDX is no pushover.

The fully independent front and rear suspension (Mac struts with stabilizer bar up front, multi-link with stabilizer bar in rear) is forgiving over choppy pavement, yet is taut in the corners with a minimum of body lean.

The 2.3-litre, DOHC 16-valve inline four-cylinder provides the kind of power you’d expect from a big six: 240 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque with plenty of punch at the low end without the typical turbo lag.

This is thanks to a variable flow turbocharger (VFT) that, like a small turbo, spins up quickly when pressed, yet, like a larger turbo, still has enough flow for good performance at high r.p.m.s.

By combining the best of both, the VFT delivers a broad powerband with a quick throttle response.

All that power is routed through a standard equipped five-speed automatic transmission that can operate either in fully automatic mode or manually with paddle shifters.

In automatic mode, the transmission incorporates grade logic control and shift hold control.

I won’t get into how these work, but both are sophisticated systems that reduce gear “hunting” on hills and through turns.

Acura’s super handling all-wheel-drive (SH-AWD) system is also complex, but very effective.

I’ve had the opportunity to test it in all kinds of weather and found it to be on par with the best AWD systems I’ve driven.

SH-AWD progressively distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between the front and rear axles but also between the left and right rear wheels.

During high-speed driving, up to 90 per cent of torque can be directed to the front wheels.

Under hard, straight-line acceleration, up to 45 per cent can be sent to the rear and in hard cornering (during acceleration), up to 70 per cent can be sent to the rear axle for sportier dynamics.

Additionally, up to 100 per cent of the torque that is sent to the rear axle can be applied to either wheel as needed.

This is all backed by standard safety and handling systems that include ABS with electronic brake distribution and brake assist and vehicle stability assist with traction control.

You also get dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags, front side airbags with passenger-side occupant position detection system and side curtain airbags.

All in all, the 2010 RDX is a very sophisticated ride that stands well as a base vehicle, but, if you want, can be upgraded with the technology package (for another $3,000), which includes an eight-inch screen, navigation with bilingual voice recognition, rearview camera and the 10-speaker Acura/ELS Surround 410-watt audio system with AM/FM/XM tuner, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, DVD-Audio and Dolby Pro Logic II.

Still, I drove the base unit and, after a week behind the wheel, found myself wanting for nothing.

Except, perhaps, another week behind the wheel.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i would never ever call the RDX's cabin 'hushed' lol but the canadians post some of the most favorable reviews of the RDX, they sure love it - wasnt it like truck of the year there or something to that effect??.... not sure how id feel living in canada if the RDX cost 40k and its german rivals also started around that same price -- im no canadian but that doesnt seem like that great of deal to me if all these cars start at the same 40k hash mark as the author states
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi mike. Canadian here... Yes we get ripped off here by 8% based on fx rates today... However audi q5 on an apples to apples comparison wth rdx is 11k more expensive...glk 7-9k depending on options... Therefore value for money rdx wins... I lived in Asia Singapore to be exact... Civic there would cost 60k usd bec of road tax... So that's my perspective...
Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
cool
Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

Post Another Canadian Review

Trying to stand out in the blizzard of CUVs currently on the market isn’t that easy, but the 2010 Acura RDX compact CUV is one that does just that.

Acura RDX is different in that it is one of only two current CUVs using a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the other being the Mazda CX-7.

The RDX has an intercooled 2.3-litre twincam inline unit producing 240 horsepower, a strong 260 pound-feet of torque with multi-point fuel injection and a variable flow rate turbo that work together to give a respectable fuel rating of 11.7L/100 km city and 8.7L/100 km highway.

On a recent round trip of 505 kilometres, I started out with the instant fuel-economy readout showing 14.1L/100 km.

By doing 90 per cent of the trip on cruise, I got it down to 10.4L/100 km by the time.

Filling up at $1.15/L out in the country was, however, sobering.

There is one transmission, a five-speed automatic with grade logic control that selects the gear that is most efficient when climbing.

A transmission cooler is standard on RDX.

The RDX can tow 680 kilograms.

Backing this up is the Honda-derived super handling all-wheel-drive (SH-AWD) that goes beyond simple “slip and grip” AWD.

What this system does is move torque back and forth but also side to side seamlessly during normal driving.

But, when accelerating hard, up to 45 per cent of the torque goes to the back wheels.

In a mild turn, the system sends a balancing amount of torque to the outside real wheel to keep the RDX planted.

When exiting the corner and accelerating, up to 100 per cent of torque to the rear wheels is split, so the outside wheel rotates faster than the inside rear wheel, greatly shortening the turning arc, as well as lessening the effort needed by the driver.

You can see all this happening by touching the “i” tab on the steering wheel, which turns on the driver information display.

One of the modes gives a graphic of the SH-AWD as it is operating in real time.

As the torque moves around, bars to each wheel grow and diminish.

I had a lot of fun with it as I drove along a long, rutted and heavily puddled lane to a friend’s farm.

As each wheel hit water or mud or snow-covered gravel, the graphic danced around wildly but the RDX just sailed on through.

Bottom line — SH-AWD is a treat on dry pavement spirited driving and is there to improve your grip in sloppy weather.

Front suspension is MacPherson struts while the rear is a trailing arm double wishbone set up with stabilizer bar.

Acura and Honda have been one of the few to go with double wishbones and they’ve been doing it for a long time.

Besides being more compliant, not having shock towers intruding on the cargo area markedly increases volume, in this case a full 788 litres.

Safety is a Honda/Acura hallmark that begins with Honda’s patented advanced compatibility engineering (ACE) body architecture.

Simply put, it consists of different strength steels that not only absorb kinetic energy in a crash, but also re-distributes the energy throughout the body away from the point of impact.

Active front headrests are standard.

Compared to airbags, these don’t cost a lot, but I feel they do far more in a crash.

They cup the head during an impact and that means far less chance of a neck or spinal cord injury.

Vehicle stability assist (stability control) with traction control is standard, as is four-wheel anti-lock braking with electronic brake-force distribution.

A nice addition is the standard tire-pressure monitor that alerts the driver if a tire starts going flat.

There are two choices of backup camera, which you really need in any SUV/CUV, as far as I am concerned.

On the standard RDX, the camera display is built into the rearview mirror.

On the RDX Technology, as tested, it is part of the Acura satellite-linked navigation system.

Here, the image is shown on the centre of the dash monitor and has the added bonus of lines that arc to show the best path to take when reversing.

While the RDX gets a seven-speaker, 360-watt sound system, the RDX Technology gets no less than 10 speakers and 410 watts of sound.

There is really no comparison to the turbos of today and the ones that were around 20 years ago, when I started writing about cars.

Turbo lag (the time is take for the turbo to spool up and start producing power) is a thing of the past — and that’s true of the RDX.

Using variable-flow technology, the power, when you need it, is right there, right now.

Leaving a traffic light and, thanks to SH-AWD, there is no torque steer and no dramatics.

Even when one of the wheels under load hits a patch of water, grip is not lost.

On the highway at cruising speed, look down to your left and the turbo boost gauge confirms that there is no forced induction pressure, meaning the turbo is not robbing power and wasting gas.

Give the pedal on the right a prod to pass and the boost gauge needle snaps up instantly as you feel the power burst to the wheels, and again, with no lurid lurch forward like there used to be in Saabs.

On the trip noted above and on cruise control, the RDX was pleasant except for the noise of the aggressive tires and winter-worn pavement.

Swaddled in leather and with the XM satellite radio there to entertain, my good wife and I just enjoyed the scenery of southwestern Ontario shedding off winter in the first days of pre-spring sun.

And that’s just what the RDX was designed to go

In the tsunami of CUVs on the market, making a decision of what suits your needs best is often confusing because so many are so much alike.

With an as tested price of $42,990, the Acura RDX Technology may not be the cheapest CUV out there but it is just that much different to rate a long look.

If you appreciate luxury in a compact CUV package, the RDX is certainly worth consideration.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoNet

Premium compact offers premium fun

Sometimes, you have to pay a premium for things.

It’s not that you really want to stretch yourself to the point of having to eat mac and cheese for the rest of your life, but some things just feel better when you pay a bit more for what you want.

Case in point: the Acura RDX — essentially a Honda CRV with all the higher end stuff you’d want without asking for it. And it’s nice not to have to ask for want you really want.

And there’s where my train of thought goes pfft.

The thing that kind of gets me is that even though the RDX is a higher-end SUV, you still have to pay more for a technology package that includes a navigation system, surround sound and Bluetooth.

And considering there are laws in certain places banning the use of hand-held cell phones, and more jurisdictions are looking at it, shouldn’t it just be a standard feature? And especially in a vehicle that pushes nearly 43 grand. Maybe I’m just missing something.

Techie stuff aside, the RDX is still a really good little SUV.

Under the hood is my favourite little item - a powerful little 2.3-litre turbocharged four cylinder engine that is more than willing to let out all of its available 240 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque. There is a good bit of turbo lag if you hammer the gas from a dead stop but once you’re going, the RDX is a rocket.

Mated to a five-speed automatic — complete with steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters — the RDX hums though the gears quickly and has plenty of mustard left for passing.

Keeping all four wheels on the road isn’t a big issue either, thanks to an all-wheel-drive system that Acura like to tag as Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive. Acura could pretty much call it what ever it wants ... the system just flat out works. The rubber sticks to the road and you get a kick out of pushing the RDX through some tight corners.

The ride is a little on the stiff side, but does maintain a sporty feel ... even with two kids sitting in the back bench. And you get some comfy seats, covered in leather, which is always good. Plus power heated seats in front and 60/40 split rear seats in back.

Leg room is decent for average folks, but I found that my legs attached to my six-foot frame were pointed in all sorts of directions, with my right leg leaning up against the hard centre console. It would have been fine if I wore knee pads all the time, but they don’t always coordinate with what I’m wearing.

Leg room in back can also be an issue if you carry anyone larger than a munchkin — so my pair didn’t complain one bit. Larger passengers just have to ask nicely and you can easily make a bit more room, but things are a bit tight for everyone to be totally comfortable.

The audio system comes complete with satellite radio, an in-dash six-disc CD changer, integrated audio-device connectivity and an optional nav system screen that also doubles as a back up camera monitor.

The rear cargo space is a decent size and a hard plastic cover will keep things out of sight. The only thing missing is a power lift gate. Ok, I might be spoiled, but I think RDX drivers would want that. Heck, non-RDX drivers would want that!

You do pay a premium for having the Acura name attached to the RDX, but the amenities supplied and the fun you have driving it, are good trade-offs.
Summary:
Year/Make/Model
2010 Acura RDX
Price as tested
$42,990
Price range
$39,990
Freight
$1,895
Options
Technology pkg ($3,000) includes navigation system, surround sound system; voice control module, Bluetooth.
EnerGuide fuel economy ratings
11.7L/100km city; 8.7L/100km hwy
Observed fuel economy
13.2 L/100 km combined
Warranty (basic)
4 years/ 80,000 km
Warranty (powertrain)
5 years/ 100,000 km
Competitors
Chevrolet Equinox; Infiniti EX35; Nissan Rogue; Toyota Rav4
Strong Points
* - Dad liked the good performance