C&D 2011 X3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stray_pube
Like what?
sorry, i meant the 2010.

"The only work under the hood involved a thicker intake pipe and a new, dual-stage radiator fan designed to reduce engine noise. Power numbers remain the same for the RDX’s turbo four, sitting at a healthy 240 hp and 260 lb-ft.
While the RDX didn’t get any more go, it did get some more stop. Acura went through the whole brake system and retuned it to improve brake pedal feel and decrease the grabbiness that had reportedly been a slight issue with the old model. Along the way, Acura also made some adjustments to improve brake life and durability."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz13ci8mq8J
Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
for 7 posts u need to do some more reading. also, point out in this thread where i am patently miserable with my RDX - i said the dash is straight plastic...it is. it should be improved. i said the RDX is a great value. it has somethings missing to be expected in this class - like hood prop rods (which motor trend mentioned when the RDX was RELEASED). not much has changed but the '11 acura made underhood refinements.

im happy with owning this thing outright and i also get great satisfaction thru the other cars i own. what i write is real comparison, dont misconstrue my comparisons for hating. totally happy, this is a cheap cuv with a turbo in this segment, thats alot of fun.
My comment wasn't based on this thread specifically - I just noticed a trend while researching here prior to my recent purchase. I'm glad you're happy with your RDX though.

I think a lot of your complaints will be addressed in the natural evolution of the car (if there is a second generation).
Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM
big shot.

or made alot worse, given Acuras recent models. hopefully not.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW website now has the X3 available for configuring. 50k for the 28i and 54k for the 35i with all the packages checked but no individual options checked.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
big shot.

37k n change: w/metallic paint and 'real' leather; 39k:
011 X3 xDrive28i Standard Features
Performance and efficiency
• 3.0-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC), 24-valve inline 240-horsepower 6-cylinder engine with composite magnesium/aluminum engine block, Valvetronic, and Double-VANOS steplessly variable valve timing
• Electronic throttle control
• Oil change at 15,000-mile or 18-month intervals
• 8-speed steptronic automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes and Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)
Handling, ride and braking
• xDrive all-wheel-drive system
• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Drying, Brake Stand-by, Start-off Assistant and Brake Fade Compensation
• Hill Descent Control (HDC)
• Servotronic vehicle-speed-sensitive power steering
• Gas-pressure shock absorbers
• Front and rear anti-roll (stabilizer) bars
• Brake Energy Regeneration
• 4-wheel ventilated anti-lock disc brakes with Dynamic Brake Control
Exterior
• Star Spoke (Style 306) 17 x 8.0 light alloy wheels, 245/55 run-flat1 all-season tires
• Halogen free-form foglights
• Door handles in matching body color
• Privacy glass
Interior seating
• 8-way power adjustable front seats with 2-way manual headrests, and driver-seat and mirror memory
• Leatherette upholstery
• Silver Matte trim
• Front center console armrest
• Rear-seat backrests with 40/60 split
Comfort and convenience
• Vehicle & Key Memory
• Automatic climate control with micro-filter and air recirculation
• Tilt/telescopic steering wheel column
• Rain-sensing windshield wipers with Automatic Headlight Control
• Power front windows with "one-touch" up/down operation; power rear windows with "one-touch" down
• Ambiance light package with front exit lights, front/rear map-reading, footwell and visor-mirror lights
• Dual cupholders
Audio system
• Anti-theft AM/FM stereo/CD/MP3 audio system with 12 speakers, 205-watt digital amplifier, Radio Data System (RDS), Auto-Store, 3-channel FM diversity antenna system and auxiliary audio input adapter compatible with portable music players
• HD Radio™ with "multicast" FM station reception
• iPod® and USB adapter
• Pre-wiring for satellite radio
Instrumentation and controls
• 3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel with controls for audio system, cruise control, and Bluetooth® wireless communication for hands-free mobile phone (if so equipped)2
• iDrive system with on-board computer and Controller, and 8 programmable memory buttons
• Condition-Based Service display with additional functions accessible through iDrive system
• Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling (with Bluetooth compatible mobile phone, if so equipped2), phonebook downloading capabilities (please visit your authorized BMW SAV® center for details on standard and optional services)
• Dynamic Cruise Control
• Rear-window defroster
• Tire Pressure Monitor
Safety and security
• Head Protection System (HPS), front and rear
• Active Head Restraints in front seats
• Driver's and passenger's front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology: dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment; and front-passenger seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deployment
• BMW's Advanced Safety System for integrated deployment of passive and active safety features
• Automatic-locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger-seat safety belts (for installation of child-restraint seats)
• LATCH for child-restraint safety-seat installation
• Central locking system with center console switch (leaves gas filler door unlocked), double-lock feature and 2-step unlocking
• Coded Driveaway Protection
• Front safety belts with automatic pretensioners
• Crash sensor that activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery; automatically unlocks doors, and turns on hazard and interior lights
• Daytime Running Lights (via Vehicle Memory system)
• Anti-theft alarm system
BMW Services
• BMW Ultimate Service™ (for complete details, visit bmwusa.com/ultimateservice)
1 Run-flat tires do not come equipped with a spare tire and wheel.
2 Check for a list of BMW-compatible Bluetooth enabled mobile phones at your authorized BMW SAV center or bmwusa.com.

Last edited by MMike1981; 11-01-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:39 PM
big shot.

Equipment not available in the RDX: V6, 8 speed, free service, oil changes every 15k, rear HVAC, rain sensing wipers, one touch rear windows, idrive computer interface, HD Radio, all ventilated brakes, braking controls (drying, hill descent etc). and that is STANDARD no options nor packages.

not bad - throw in metallic paint and real leather - ur at 39k. imo = bargain. base RDX is 35,500k. not bad, not bad at all.

of course it can get redic expensive - thats the beauty of customization and personal touches. but right now, at its most basic minimum level, the new X3 is quite formidable against anything out there.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Instructor

BMW's don't have V6es. You'll also need to add the HID headlights if you're going with the 28i.
It also lacks the heated seat, shift paddles, and moonroof, those are again extra options.
If you want Navigation, you have to get the premium package so it ends up costing you 6k.

Last edited by corduroygt; 11-01-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Thanks, corduroygt, for injecting a dose of fairness into this thread. I'm sure there are myriad other features and advantages the RDX has over the X3, but since I'm not the least bit interested in ever owning another Bimmer (one nightmare was more than enough), it's not worth my time to investigate them.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
PLEASE, oh please - get yourself one and go moan in a BMW forum...

Equipment not available in the RDX: V6, 8 speed, free service, oil changes every 15k, rear HVAC, rain sensing wipers, one touch rear windows, idrive computer interface, HD Radio, all ventilated brakes, braking controls (drying, hill descent etc). and that is STANDARD no options nor packages.

not bad - throw in metallic paint and real leather - ur at 39k. imo = bargain. base RDX is 35,500k. not bad, not bad at all.

of course it can get redic expensive - thats the beauty of customization and personal touches. but right now, at its most basic minimum level, the new X3 is quite formidable against anything out there.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by corduroygt
BMW's don't have V6es. You'll also need to add the HID headlights if you're going with the 28i.
It also lacks the heated seat, shift paddles, and moonroof, those are again extra options.
If you want Navigation, you have to get the premium package so it ends up costing you 6k.
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Thanks, corduroygt, for injecting a dose of fairness into this thread. I'm sure there are myriad other features and advantages the RDX has over the X3, but since I'm not the least bit interested in ever owning another Bimmer (one nightmare was more than enough), it's not worth my time to investigate them.
I don't think that anybody is being unfair. Yes, it's not a V6, but it is a 6cyl engine. Every time that we start talking about RDX and the competition the argument ALWAYS comes back to "for the money" the RDX is the best.

Well, for the money the RDX has no real competitors then. If it's about the money the RDX is a class below where it should be, competing with the non-premiums Mazda, Nissan and Toyota. If that's where the RDX wants to be, so be it, but I believe that they want to be a notch above, with the Germans and the premium brands of the ones previously mentioned (Infinity and Lexus).

A fact is that the RDX is a great car, but you feel shortchanged. You can make an analogy and say that you got a Hyunday Equus when everyone else got a Benz...yeah, they paid more, but you got a better deal and more "stuff" for your money.

That standard equipment you list is what I had previously talked about in the "what's really base in a car like this" You do get a lot of things, maybe not the luxo and technology that you get in the RDX, but you do get way more than the essentials.....yeah, the Germans are famous for being less reliable than the Japanese, but that doesn't seem to slow down their sales....
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Instructor

I'd have no problem getting the BMW for my next car after the RDX. I don't mind spending more to get more, but I don't like to get less. As long as the BMW can get to 100k miles without any issues, it'd be fine by me, but I think that's doubtful.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 AM
big shot.

unfairness? where? i posted the std equipment of the BMW; i was not trying to attempt to go feature for feature, rather just showing basic differences/value.

what the base X3 delivers, the RDX does not even have available. that was the point.

i think its fair to say that the engine, transmission, and std equipment in the BMW may have alot more value than HIDs, heated seats, paddles. everyone wants the feature box checked but you are skipping over a wealth of equipment. Additionally, id much rather pay for options that are actually worth it; 3k for the tech pkg in the RDX is robbery, which is why i spent my money on the running boards, rear diff, front spoiler and LEATHER SHIFT KNOB.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by corduroygt
I'd have no problem getting the BMW for my next car after the RDX. I don't mind spending more to get more, but I don't like to get less. As long as the BMW can get to 100k miles without any issues, it'd be fine by me, but I think that's doubtful.
We're coming to the RDX after a BMW X3. The X3 is a great car and the 2004 had a harder ride than the newer models, but the CPO is about to expire and that scared the crap out of us. While the X3 had been pretty much trouble free to 5 years, 80,000 the evaporator coil just went (by covered under the CPO) and the cost was over 2 grand...and that itself was our reason for moving on.