BMW X3 vs RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a comparison in the new Car and Driver. Land Rover LR2, RDX and X3. 3rd, 2nd and first place respectively.

RDX's numbers outperformed the other two across the board with the exception of 1/4mile (which the x3 beat out by .2-3 seconds.)

Complaints about the RDX were stiff/harsh ride and the inability to off-road.

I really want them to drive the X3 for a few months and measure how much rain goes into the car because of the moonroof. As well as other electrical problems and average reliability of the car. Not to mention it's 10-15 grand more for the bmw badge and the power passenger seat.

The inability to off-road is not a problem for me, I live in NY where we have a blizzard every winter and even the RDX can mow through it with relative ease. I bought this car not having the intent to roll through the mud.

The harsh ride is what makes the car handle much better and roll a lot less. And to me, it isn't even that harsh.

I sometimes question the credibility of the writers at C&D. These are the same guys who (last issue) picked the mazda rx8 over the 350z, new Audi TT, and Mustang GT. The SAME rx8 that I had last year. The same car that handled like a dream, was the slowest in its' class, and was outperformed in every category. Not only was it the slowest car, it sucked more gas than the v8 mustang yet, it placed no.1.

The thing with Car and Driver is, they tend to favor cars who pay the most for advertising in their magazines. I am convinced that is the case.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Animagix
I really want them to drive the X3 for a few months and measure how much rain goes into the car because of the moonroof. As well as other electrical problems and average reliability of the car.
That's the first time I've ever heard about leakage through the moonroof. In the almost 3 years we've had the X3, that's never been a problem. No electrical problems either...but we go into the shop every few months for routine maintenance anyway.

My test drive with the RDX was so long ago but I remember it being less harsh than the X3. Can anyone else attest to this who have driven them back to back?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by casa7
I live in the interior of BC and like to travel in the winter through mountain passes, going west,east and south. This is the reason why I am looking at getting an AWD vehicle and sold my 325i.The 335 does not come in AWD at this time and it is also more expensive than the 328xi.
As mentioned before, I have a budget and would like to get as sporty a vehicle as I can with AWD. RDX seem to be one option.
While I am at it, for those that live in BC, which Acura dealers have you had the best buying experience with and what kind of discounts can be expected from them.

Burrard Acura... a great place to shop and buy

Lougheed Acura, salespeople questionable... maybe deal with the owner howard directly...
Old 06-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by Boon
That's the first time I've ever heard about leakage through the moonroof. In the almost 3 years we've had the X3, that's never been a problem. No electrical problems either...but we go into the shop every few months for routine maintenance anyway.

My test drive with the RDX was so long ago but I remember it being less harsh than the X3. Can anyone else attest to this who have driven them back to back?
I've driven both in a short few days. I happen to agree entirely with C&D. The X3 does not have the ideal ride-handling compromise like a 3-series. I still think it is a little stiff and busy, but nowhere near as stiff as the RDX. The RDX's ride is even worse than my TSX.

The X3's ride seems to be improved. I drove one when they first came out in it seemed to harsh for daily driving.

BTW, I'm not sure what this "moonroof" leakage is all about. We have a 330i that is about 8 years old. Not a drop of water has gotten into any part of the interior. There is no reason to believe that the X3 will be particularly likely to have this kind of problem.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

thanks Mav.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Intermediate

I have driven both the rdx and bmw x3. Compared to the rdx, The x3 has a softer ride with the non-sport package and a stiffer ride with the sport package. Imo the rdx handles better than the std x3 and slightly less than the x3 with the sport. I was really impressed with the shw-awd system. The 2007 x3 interior has a nice euro look but the rdx looked really nice also. I would give the edge to the rdx. I did prefer the exterior of the x3, there is something missing on the rdx, I'm not sure what it is. I liked the x3's inline 6 better than the turbo, but the turbo on the rdx was not bad. The rdx has more passanger space and of course is a much better value. I personally drive a bmw and have been driving them for about 5 years. The x3's driving feel with the sport package is better than the rdx's, however I liked the rdx's driving feel compared to all the other acuras, including the tl. When the tl gets the awd sytem, I susspect the tl will be better. I was really impressed with the rdx. I think it is a great value, and I like the idea of a hatch/wagon/suv type of veichle.

I am really curious how the Infiniti ex35 will perform. Thie ex35 looks like it has a chance to be a class leader. I do susspect that the acura will have more interior room at a less expensive price. But the ex35 looks like it has real potential.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Meat Popsicle

VW also has a new CUV due out soon. The segment will be crowded soon.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by lilfeat
VW also has a new CUV due out soon. The segment will be crowded soon.
The A/C just failed on my sister's Audi A4 1.8T after only 4 1/2 years and 37,000 miles. In contrast, my Acura TSX with 60,000 miles has been 100% trouble free. I'll stick with Honda/Acura products, thank you!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:28 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by darth62
The A/C just failed on my sister's Audi A4 1.8T after only 4 1/2 years and 37,000 miles. In contrast, my Acura TSX with 60,000 miles has been 100% trouble free. I'll stick with Honda/Acura products, thank you!
My wife's Touareg is in the shop every other week. Avoid VW like the plague. Our lease on the T-reg is up in a few months. We're going to replace it with either the RDX, X3, or LR2. Going to start shopping around shortly...
Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ToddPhilly
My wife's Touareg is in the shop every other week. Avoid VW like the plague. Our lease on the T-reg is up in a few months. We're going to replace it with either the RDX, X3, or LR2. Going to start shopping around shortly...

I guess it is different if you are leasing the car, since at the end of the contract (usually within the warranty period), you simply return it to the dealer and lease out another new car... Those mechanical problems will be left for the dealer or the next potential used car buyer to deal with.

But for those of us who choose to purchase the car and keep it for a while, it is a different issue with the mechanical problems.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seevemonka
I have driven both the rdx and bmw x3. Compared to the rdx, The x3 has a softer ride with the non-sport package and a stiffer ride with the sport package. Imo the rdx handles better than the std x3 and slightly less than the x3 with the sport. I was really impressed with the shw-awd system. The 2007 x3 interior has a nice euro look but the rdx looked really nice also. I would give the edge to the rdx. I did prefer the exterior of the x3, there is something missing on the rdx, I'm not sure what it is. I liked the x3's inline 6 better than the turbo, but the turbo on the rdx was not bad. The rdx has more passanger space and of course is a much better value. I personally drive a bmw and have been driving them for about 5 years. The x3's driving feel with the sport package is better than the rdx's, however I liked the rdx's driving feel compared to all the other acuras, including the tl. When the tl gets the awd sytem, I susspect the tl will be better. I was really impressed with the rdx. I think it is a great value, and I like the idea of a hatch/wagon/suv type of veichle.

I am really curious how the Infiniti ex35 will perform. Thie ex35 looks like it has a chance to be a class leader. I do susspect that the acura will have more interior room at a less expensive price. But the ex35 looks like it has real potential.
It looks like the EX35 is going to be pretty cramped in the back, but you never know. Plus Nissans have Renault cooties
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Photographer

i had a look at my co-workers X3 last night and let me say this, CRAMPED! i didnt get to drive it, maybe a next time but IMO the interior is plain. i mean if i didnt want room id get it. the RDX has far better space. and for what he paid its not worth it.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i checked the bmw website, idk if i didnt see something i didnt see options for gps, bluetooth, and 6disk changer is optional...crazyness