Is the Base model worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Base model worth it?

Hey guys,

Been reading the latest posts from the weekend and seems a few of you have been having problems with the tech in the RDX. Just wondering if now you think it was still worth it...because I remember back in August all the early reviews and posts in this forum praising the RDX technology (it was on of the biggest differentiators from the competitors).

I'm now leaning towards the base model, for a couple of reasons:
- No XM radio in Canada
- No real-time traffic in Canada
- Complaint: Backup camera isn't as effective...hard to judge distances
- Complaint: Bluetooth connectivity spotty...I've grown accustomed to my Treo/bluetooth headset anyway
- Minor Issue: Some say voice recognition spotty...but others say it's fine

Having said that, would anyone recommend the base? With the money saved, I could probably splurge on back-up sensors, front skirt, front clear bra, auto-mirror, and 19" rims instead without going near the $45K mark (the price of the tech-model in Canada).
Old 09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boon
Hey guys,

Been reading the latest posts from the weekend and seems a few of you have been having problems with the tech in the RDX. Just wondering if now you think it was still worth it...because I remember back in August all the early reviews and posts in this forum praising the RDX technology (it was on of the biggest differentiators from the competitors).

I'm now leaning towards the base model, for a couple of reasons:
- No XM radio in Canada
- No real-time traffic in Canada
- Complaint: Backup camera isn't as effective...hard to judge distances
- Complaint: Bluetooth connectivity spotty...I've grown accustomed to my Treo/bluetooth headset anyway
- Minor Issue: Some say voice recognition spotty...but others say it's fine

Having said that, would anyone recommend the base? With the money saved, I could probably splurge on back-up sensors, front skirt, front clear bra, auto-mirror, and 19" rims instead without going near the $45K mark (the price of the tech-model in Canada).
I like the back up camera...even if the distance is a little off. You adjust quickly enough.

I never use the voice recognition...weird, but true. I just never remember it's there!

My Treo 650 won't pair with the bluetooth (we think it's because of the program on it that synch with my works Exchange server).

I usually don't listen to XM - like maybe 10-15 minutes total...it's true, I can never find anything "on" to listen to!

The traffic info - I only pay attention to as I come up on dead stopped traffice...too late to do anything about it!

But I use the maps/gps all the time.

I wouln't hesitate to the the tech package again!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Advanced

I went with the base, because the color I wanted was sitting at my dealership ready to purchase. I didn't want to wait! If my RDX had the tech package, I would have bought it anyways.

It would be really cool to have the navigation though, especially since I just came back from a trip to Vancouver and we were lost most of the time! But the realtime traffic and XM radio doesn't work in Canada so I hear. The backup camera is a cool idea, but I find the RDX pretty easy to park compared to my GF's Ridgeline.

For those who LOVE tech goodies, it's money well spent for the Nav, bluetooth, etc.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Racer

It all depends on what's most important to you...

I'm leaning towards the base, myself. I think the tech package has some great features, and I love gadgets, but $4k will buy me a lot of toys. The only things I'd really want in the tech package are the bluetooth and the nav. Well, $1k buys me a bluetooth headset and a very good portable nav, both of which I can take with me to another vehicle (especially a rental car if I go on a trip somewhere). That leaves me $3k left over to spend on other toys, and that seems like the way to go, for me.

Again, it just depends on where you'd like to spend your money.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Vroom Vroom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go for the base myself.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Instructor

I went for the base because it's an upgrade from what I've driven before (a 2000 CRV), and I have other uses for the $4K difference.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Advanced

I bought a base RDX too, i dun need to navi cuz i want an aftermark one.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I have the tech RDX and there are no regrets. I previously owned a 2004 MDX and this vehicle is a blast to drive. The back-up camera is a tool , as a result you don't totally rely on it when your in reverse.
Sure I'm pissed about the satellite radio , real time traffic, auto -dimming mirror and the power seats . But after driving it for two weeks , it really doesn't matter .
The handling and acceleration of this vehicle is outstanding.

My biggest beef is the price relative to the U.S , were paying a stiff premium on top of the exchange rate differential . We can buy the RDX in the U.S but Honda won't honor the warranty. Go figure.

The majority of the RDX's were pre-sold in Calgary . I paid full msrp , but I recieved a minor discount on the accessories . This is the same that Lexus and Infinti is offering for their veicles.

In summary , pay the extra for the tech stuff . or wait until next year , where all of this stuff will be standard.

Go Flames Go!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Flamesfan
Go Flames Go!
You built up a pretty good case...right up until that last sentence...and then lost all credibility.

j/k

thanks for all the great responses thus far. it does boil down to personal pref - and the main draws for me are the nav and voice recognition...maybe the premium audio - it'll be tough....still waiting to test drive the new 07 Legacy GT before making the final call.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Boon
....still waiting to test drive the new 07 Legacy GT before making the final call.
Pretty sure the North American '07 Legacy is identical to the '06... the pics you've seen on the web for the updated Legacy are for Japan and Europe only this year... NA gets that model next year. Even then, it's just cosmetic updates, for the most part. I think the redesign is coming for the '08 model year in Japan, '09 in North America.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
Pretty sure the North American '07 Legacy is identical to the '06... the pics you've seen on the web for the updated Legacy are for Japan and Europe only this year... NA gets that model next year. Even then, it's just cosmetic updates, for the most part. I think the redesign is coming for the '08 model year in Japan, '09 in North America.
Yeah you're absolutely right....the biggest thing for me is to test out the new SI-Drive and VDC (traction control) which'll help for our snowy winters. Performance wise I think the only other upgrades are slightly better brakes and a smoother ride.

Tech-wise the 07 Legacy's get a slew of 'standards' that help bring it up closer to the RDX: MP3 disc support, aux-audio jack, steering-wheel controls, upgraded audio system, and tire-pressure monitoring.

OH! And folding rear seats to increase storage space. These are all things the 06 Legacys didn't have.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Boon ...

at least we made the playoffs ....

credibility ??? at least our goon isn't boinking an MP .

Most of your geriatric jetset has moved on this year so your team might have a remote chance of making the playoffs .

Go Flames Go !!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Flamesfan
Boon ...

at least we made the playoffs ....

credibility ??? at least our goon isn't boinking an MP .

Most of your geriatric jetset has moved on this year so your team might have a remote chance of making the playoffs .

Go Flames Go !!!!

Hahaha, damn I dunno if there's even a comeback for that. Truth be told, I'm not even a hockey fan. Just thought I'd have some fun and poke the bear a bit.

But expect to hear from me next June if we DO make playoffs. And hopefully honking my horn all around the city in my RDX.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

tech package is def. worth $3000 but base is just fine.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Dennis

I did buy the tech, but if it had been beyond my budget, a non-tech RDX would have been my first choice.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Instructor

The camera is nice when you realize that you can see your bumper and tell how close the car (or whatever) behind you is to it. It allows me to backup a lot closer than I would have normally. Otherwise there's no point but that one feature alone is worth it. Plus if anything short is in the way it's nice to know.