Audi Q5 - new small SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi Q5 - new small SUV

The Audi Q5 small SUV officially deputed this week as a 2009 model. More details here: http://news.windingroad.com/countrie...ts-the-q5-suv/
and here:
http://www.audi.com/q5

The press release says it will compete against the Acura MDX, but the length and width are closer to the RDX than the MDX. I assume price will be closer to the MDX.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

Its fuckin gorgeous though, i'd be willing to throw down RDX money for this thing
Old 04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Race Director

i like it! but, the only thing bothering me is that the VW Tiguan and this look too alike. Kinda like it's more of a more expensive and luxury Tiguan to me.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Based on the new A4/A5 platform, not the Tiguan or Touareg. Pricing expected to start around $30K, fully optioned at $50K. Aimed primarily at the RDX, X3 and EX.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
It's funny that I am seeing a lot of design cues of the RDX in this Q5. It is nice though! :-)

Anyway, remember how the RD-X concept had the chrome trim around the windows? This is how the production RDX would have looked with the chrome trim - much more upmarket and luxurious looking. How I wished that they had kept the chrome trim on for the production RDX.

BTW, with the new RL and TSX looking so terrible (look at that grille! Ugh!), the RDX is starting to look more and more attractive... LOL
Old 04-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

does anybody know the name of that color??? i like it alot.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Soccer_playa1579
does anybody know the name of that color??? i like it alot.
It's called blue.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Racer

Switched at birth?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
im into it to. would be a sik lease. i think the hindquaters looks reminicent of the Porshe
Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by johnny99
Switched at birth?
Haha, I thought the exact same thing yesterday but didn't post out of fear of getting flamed.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Chavez77

It's still a VW kraut-mobile

Looks great. Fantastic option if you really want to get intimate with your local VW mechanic!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know it's really a hit or miss thing, but it would certainly appear that Teutonic automobiles (Audi, M-B, BMW) can be fantastic driving machines that need far more than their fair share of service. I need my vehicle every day. Losing an hour or 2 dropping my car off for unscheduled service (even with a free loaner and coffee, under warranty) is an expense I can't afford. I find it hard to believe that these brands are considered "premium" with their spotty reliability records, regardless of how fantastic they are when they run. I have had 2 Acuras with the crappy 5 speed auto trans (2002 TL-S and 2001 MDX) and, despite the spot that they created in Acura's overall reliability rating, I never had a problem with either. Change the oil, brakes, tires, fill 'em with gas, drive 'em. Now maybe for a Sunday driver I would consider a German car, but it certainly would NOT be and SUV/CUV.

Joe
Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Audi's general design language, but the Q5 is a total snoozefest to me.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by scudzuki
I know it's really a hit or miss thing, but it would certainly appear that Teutonic automobiles (Audi, M-B, BMW) can be fantastic driving machines that need far more than their fair share of service. I need my vehicle every day. Losing an hour or 2 dropping my car off for unscheduled service (even with a free loaner and coffee, under warranty) is an expense I can't afford. I find it hard to believe that these brands are considered "premium" with their spotty reliability records, regardless of how fantastic they are when they run. I have had 2 Acuras with the crappy 5 speed auto trans (2002 TL-S and 2001 MDX) and, despite the spot that they created in Acura's overall reliability rating, I never had a problem with either. Change the oil, brakes, tires, fill 'em with gas, drive 'em. Now maybe for a Sunday driver I would consider a German car, but it certainly would NOT be and SUV/CUV.

Joe
exactly why they make good lease cars and their used car values/reliability are a joke. although, even leasing, service would be brutal but at the same time at least you are not tied down to the car. I personally would never, ever, buy a german brand car. not only is the maintenance a nightmare...but cost and availability of parts jeeeeeeeeesus.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

From the back, it looks like a CRV. At least it doesn't look like a hurse, like the the Q7.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by oasis3582
I like Audi's general design language, but the Q5 is a total snoozefest to me.
Agreed. Very very bland to me.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by scudzuki
I find it hard to believe that these brands are considered "premium" with their spotty reliability records, regardless of how fantastic they are when they run.
Always wondered the same thing myself!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
im into it to. would be a sik lease. i think the hindquaters looks reminicent of the Porshe
Yeah sure. Anybody can post anything complimentary about any brand on this board and you'll lap it up, as long as that brand isn't American, right MMike? Audi, Mercedes Benz, Infiniti, anything but American, eh MMike?

No wonder the USA is in trouble.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
Yeah sure. Anybody can post anything complimentary about any brand on this board and you'll lap it up, as long as that brand isn't American, right MMike? Audi, Mercedes Benz, Infiniti, anything but American, eh MMike?

No wonder the USA is in trouble.

Speaking of American I got a rental because my car is in the shop to fix the bumper. I ended up getting a Dodge Charger. Talk about a piece of $#!t. Holy crap that thing is like driving a box with a motor from a weed wacker. I would go even as far to say it's worse than the Kia Optima I once rented.

But anyway back to the Audi. I like the overall design but some very good points made here regarding German service, parts, and long-term reliability. Way back when I started my search I looked at some Audis but quickly turned away just because of those reasons. I just came back to "you get what you pay for." And for me the RDX had everything I wanted/needed for the price I was willing to pay.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 PM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me 'premium' is the extra $$ you pay over and above what one would normally expect a reasonable price to be. German rides are up there for sure. Having owned more than a few, I can say that having Autobahn in the DNA is a big plus. The ownership mentality is that some stuff is going to break and be replaced; once that happens, usually the replacement is with improved parts. So after 2 transmissions in my A6, 3 CV joints in my Passat, both with less than 36,000 miles on them, I became skeptical, not to mention alarmed at what I would pay had those R&Rs not been under warranty.

On the very few occasions I had my Honda/Acura in for service and I was given a Big Three loaner, I have to agree with phoward_15. Even my girlfriend who had her Accord in for a bumper repair couldn't believe what a POS the brand new Sebring she had as a loaner was. She asked me why it had all those ridges on the hood. I said probably to remind her of a boat. She thought that was overkill.

Oh wait, this thread is about the Q5. Hijack. Talk about premium, anyone seen the ads on the BMW X6? Is there a purpose for this vehicle?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 PM
big shot.

yo plainsman u idiot....ur on my ignore list, on the very rare and horrible occasion i have to stumble onto one of your retarded posts by another member quoting you, u just prove time and again how waked you really are

its not American that i Hate...but among the american brands that suck, really bad, ITS SATURN...because.................its F'ING GARBAGE LOL. take that one to the bank bro. sure as shit, if america turned out a semi-decent performing car as well as making it reliable AND affordable (ahem CTS) then without question it will rank among any jap or german car you wana talk about.

o man
Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
yo plainsman u idiot....ur on my ignore list, on the very rare and horrible occasion i have to stumble onto one of your retarded posts by another member quoting you, u just prove time and again how waked you really are

its not American that i Hate...but among the american brands that suck, really bad, ITS SATURN...because.................its F'ING GARBAGE LOL. take that one to the bank bro. sure as shit, if america turned out a semi-decent performing car as well as making it reliable AND affordable (ahem CTS) then without question it will rank among any jap or german car you wana talk about.

o man
exactly and that is why the CTS was the motortrend car of the year! CADILLAC is AMERICAN. so we don't hate on American cars in general. We flame those people that keep boasting about how much better their american car (SATURN OUTLOOK) is in value and reliability and resale value, etc, when we all know there's no hard statistics that show that it is!

back to the audi q5. at first glance the overall shape really reminds me of the RDX (just another member mentioned). Although I do gotta say it looks kind of boring. Especially when compared to the looks of the Q7. It'll be interesting to see what type performance numbers it'll pull when it gets reviewed. Also, I think it'll be cross shopped amongst bmw x3 buyers more than mdx buyers despite the press release saying otherwise.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd have to agree. I looked at all the lambda vehicles and was unimpressed. I also threw in the Vue/Torrent GXP, Cadillac SRX and Saab 9-3 Aero for kicks and all were underwhelming.

The CTS was impressive however and I do like the new Malibu. I considered an Aura, but went Maxima.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mzhao84
exactly and that is why the CTS was the motortrend car of the year! CADILLAC is AMERICAN. so we don't hate on American cars in general. We flame those people that keep boasting about how much better their american car (SATURN OUTLOOK) is in value and reliability and resale value, etc, when we all know there's no hard statistics that show that it is!

Gee, who's done that? MMike? Probably. Certainly wasn't me. Find one post where I've boased about the resale value of the Outlook. Find one post where I've boased about superior reliability. You can't. Those things can't be determined in a brand new model until a few years after its been on the road. So stop talking out of your azz. Azz.

I have said my Saurn has some luxury features my RDX does not. That's a fact, Jack.

Oh yeah, MMike. Nobody cares who you put on "ignore."
Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mzhao84
Also, I think it'll be cross shopped amongst bmw x3 buyers more than mdx buyers despite the press release saying otherwise.
+1