audi a3 3.2 s-line vs. rdx w/ tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi a3 3.2 s-line vs. rdx w/ tech

did anyone shop the audi a3 3.2 s-line against the RDX before buying?

i like both cars alot and both are quite peppy... i just can't see giving up all the tech pkg goodies... if i loaded up the a3 to the level of a tech pkg it would be over 40K... and i'd be giving up a good bit of room...

is it as much of a no brainer as i think?

if you haven't driven one... the a3 3.2 s-line really pulls nicely and has a great s-tronic (DSG i believe) transmission and of course it has quattro..
Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Instructor

I would have test drove an audi if they had a cross over. But isn't this audi more of a station wagon? Love the audi since I came from a VW. I hope they are a bit more reliable then the passat was. So glad the engine and drive train used to come with a 100,000mile warranty. I got my $ worth!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbpwjm

i like both cars alot and both are quite peppy... i just can't see giving up all the tech pkg goodies... if i loaded up the a3 to the level of a tech pkg it would be over 40K... and i'd be giving up a good bit of room...

if you haven't driven one... the a3 3.2 s-line really pulls nicely and has a great s-tronic (DSG i believe) transmission and of course it has quattro..
Yes. I had narrowed down to RDX, A3, or X3.

I found the A3 to be impressive and in some ways I liked it better (as a wagon it is more car like and handles at speed better). The 3.2 IMO is clearly superior to their 4cyl turbo. For me, the seats were more comfortable than the RDX's.

I loved the "feel" of the interior and the "open sky" system. However, it has a severe lack of inside storage space.... the console was tiny.... and Audi's reliability stats, although not bad, is clearly inferior to Acura. The A3 I priced to compare against my RDX was $42,000.

In the end, towards my primary goal -- a well handling sporty luxury car that does cargo -- the RDX and the X3 were the final two candidates. There were certainly some things about the X3 I preferred over the RDX (i.e seats) but at a premium for a similar configuration of over $6k, I thought the RDX the bext practical choice. I've had my RDX now for almost a month and I do like it very much and have no buyers remorse. It is an outstanding car for the money.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Missin my TSX =(

lol a3... hahaha.... thing is sooo tinyy... maintenance for audis will cost an arm and a leg
Old 02-03-2007, 05:12 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
I would purchase a product from VAG (Volkswagen Audi Gesellschaft) only if I did not plan to keep it beyond the warranty period.

The Mark 5 GTI and A3 are built from the same architecture. They are superb driver's cars with class leading fit, finish and build quality. The DSG transmission is a superior technological achievment.

But therein lies the problem. The superior technological achievement the Germans are famous for is rooted in the drive for complex, sophisticated, over-engineered systems that are expected to be maintenance intensive.

They are. Just look at VWVortex, ClubTouareg or an Audi site.

While the Germans are striving for cutting edge sophistication , the Japanese are striving for elegant simplicity.

Consider for example VW's bi-xenon headlight system that requires an auto leveling function: A range control sensor ($200) on the rear control arm sends pitch information to twin independant headlight control modules ($400 ea) that drive twin independant headlight control motors ($200 ea) which aim two xenon lights ($230 ea). Because the xenons are adjustable a high pressure washer system is required to prevent dirt from scattering the rays up into other driver's vision.

(Yeah..... unfortunately I know what this stuff costs)

By comparision Acura uses fixed xenon low beams and fixed halogen high beams.
No controllers, no motors and yet somehow it lights the road...rather well.

VW uses electronic brake pad wear sensors integrated into the car's computer to
signal impending replacement. But they activate at 6/32s, about 5000 miles early, and are about $25 each to replace.

Acura uses simple fail-proof screechers.

I wish I could claim this quote but I saw it on a Canadian driver site:

"A Volkswagen/Audi is the smokin' hot girlfriend who's PMSing everyday."
Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well said, 737 Jock, well said. Especially the last line. I frequently lust over Audi's A series, then I remember the thought behind that line.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by sbpwjm

I recently sold my 2002 A4 2.8T Quattro, and after many different test drives, opted for the RDX Tech.

I loved the A4 especially in the winter, and with good quality snow tires, that car acted as if it were on rails. I have 2 young kids, 4 and 6, and it was quite a struggle to get them into their car seats in the back of the audi. The RDX actually has virtually the same footprint as my old car, and yet offers much more interior room both the front and rear passengers.

I have driven an A3 in the past when my A4 was being serviced. It is a great drivers' car and very responsive, but I found that the interior room was even less than my A4. In addition, there is much to be said about the higher seating position thet the RDX offers when compared to my old sedan. Most of my driving competition here in Toronto are driving SUV's, an as such it is now a more level playing field.

I have had the RDX for 2 months now and my initial impressions are excellent. The traction with the all-season stock Michelins is very good-excellent, although if I put on some proper snows, it would be just as good as my old A4. I have been going up north virtually evey weekend so we are talking real SNOW. My average gas consumption during the 2 months is 12.5 L/100 km. Noot quitge as good as my A4, but not horrible either.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Jock

When I was car shopping, I looked at Audi, the A4 in particular. I really liked the car (despite the tiny trunk), but the reliability stuff scared me off. I was going to buy used and planned on keeping the car until it was about 10 years old. Audi just didn't fit the bill because of their reliability and maintenance costs. They are nice looking cars, though.

The A3 is nice looking, and sometimes I would love the utility it offers, but I can't quite get over the station wagon look.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 737 Jock
I wish I could claim this quote but I saw it on a Canadian driver site:
LOL

Your post reminds me of my relationship with my lovely wife.

Yeah, the leggy high-maintenance blonde is fun to flirt with, but at the end of the night I'm going home with my practical and dependable brunette.