Anyone used these bulbs for their high-beams?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone used these bulbs for their high-beams?

Anyone has the PIAA intense white 9005 bulbs in their RDX? Here in Mass, where street lights are almost a prized item in the small towns folks live in here, the streets are always so dark, and I have been using the high beams quite a bit to look ahead in front on the road. The standard halogens for the high beams are "okay", but it would have been great if Acura provided instead dual xenon lights, meaning the high beams are also HID's. I remember in my previous bimmer, this was the case, and the high beams were awesome when we needed to use it.

So, if anyone has ever used the PIAA's for their high beams, can you elaborate if
  • you really got better lighting when used as high beams
  • and gotten white light instead of the yellowish colour from the std halogens.
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
Anyone has the PIAA intense white 9005 bulbs in their RDX? Here in Mass, where street lights are almost a prized item in the small towns folks live in here, the streets are always so dark, and I have been using the high beams quite a bit to look ahead in front on the road. The standard halogens for the high beams are "okay", but it would have been great if Acura provided instead dual xenon lights, meaning the high beams are also HID's. I remember in my previous bimmer, this was the case, and the high beams were awesome when we needed to use it.

So, if anyone has ever used the PIAA's for their high beams, can you elaborate if
Thanks.
Im currently using Ultra White Xenon Bulb on my High Beam, i only love it when it's on coz the color is very close to my HID bulb but i hate it when its off or just daylight because you can see the color blue bulb. I might buy some LED 9005 Click Here
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238

Thanks.
I replaced my RDX's stock high beam/driving light bulb this past summer with PIAA Super Plasma GT-X bulbs. They're a little brighter and a little whiter than stock but not a huge difference. Actually, the high beam improvement is pretty good but i don't see a huge difference as the driving light. I was hoping for more. Oh well.. I consider it my $70 experiment! I have the stock bulbs safely stored away incase the PIAAs burn out I can put the stockers back in.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I replaced my RDX's stock high beam/driving light bulb this past summer with PIAA Super Plasma GT-X bulbs. They're a little brighter and a little whiter than stock but not a huge difference. Actually, the high beam improvement is pretty good but i don't see a huge difference as the driving light. I was hoping for more. Oh well.. I consider it my $70 experiment! I have the stock bulbs safely stored away incase the PIAAs burn out I can put the stockers back in.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't expect the DRL to look any different from stock. DRL's run at 35W only, and thus will not deliver enough power to get the PIAA hot enough to look white. I am mostly interested in the high beam effectiveness.

It is really quite frustrating to drive on local Mass. town roads that are pitchblack, due to a lack of street lamps. I have heard from a friend of mine living in a town called plainville, where the local authorities would charge the residents a monthly fee of $8 for turning on the street lamps if requested. This is ludicrous!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
The best bet would be to install an HID kit on the high beam... then no more dark roads!

Here is the 35watt http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail

And the even brighter 55 watt http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...D-XENON/Detail
Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wspy
The best bet would be to install an HID kit on the high beam... then no more dark roads!

Here is the 35watt http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail

And the even brighter 55 watt http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...D-XENON/Detail
Did you try to install it in your RDX? I always worry about these aftermarket HID kits...
Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
you drove from Vancouver to Massachusetts
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SG81
you drove from Vancouver to Massachusetts
did i say that?

Nope, my car was shipped via train and truck.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID for high beam

I considered changing to HID but have not gone ahead because I'm concerned about how they will work with the lower power DRL. Has anyone retrofit HID for high beams and do the the DRL work? Also, HID take a few seconds to get to full brightness, so how well do they work as high beams, which you may only turn on for a short time and then shut off as another car approaches?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard from Retro Solutions, who responded very quickly:
We'd recommend them for fog lights before the high beams.
As you mentioned, the warm up time is the drawback when using them for high beams, there is the delay to full output. Also, in combination with DRLs, other parts will be needed to avoid damage to the ballasts running at low power over long periods of time. Namely, a wiring harness would be needed, however the end result would be brighter high beams as the DRLs... which we can not really recommend as a good idea. But, you can use the kit as normal, no wiring harness, and remove the DRL fuse or under dash relay to remove the DRLs completely.

So, I'll stick with my Silverstar Ultra bulbs...