Anyone used a power inverter in their RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone used a power inverter in their RDX

to power accessories and laptops? I am planning to get one to power my son's laptop when we make this east to west coast driving trip. No wanting to power anything else other than just a laptop, I figure getting one which provide up to 175 W continous power will suffice.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:32 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
to power accessories and laptops? I am planning to get one to power my son's laptop when we make this east to west coast driving trip. No wanting to power anything else other than just a laptop, I figure getting one which provide up to 175 W continous power will suffice.
Power a laptop? any reason why you need constant power for it? are you using it to watch movies or something? Any reason why you couldn't just run on batteries? if being used as a DVD player, just buy one (device) that works for the car, we are talking about a couple hundred dollars....

To answer your question, I have not used the power inverter, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a laptop, the battery is what powers the machine, your adapter will be just re-charging the battery.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
i bought this not too long ago in preparation for a day trip down south:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

was trying to use it power the baby's bottle warmer but it didn't work - it couldn't generate enough power to run the warmer.

perhaps i bought the wrong product or i'm missing something. but since the power outlets (the one in front of the shifter and one inside the centre console) are only capable of producing 12V, i'm not sure if the use of these power inverters can power household electrical products..

the power outlets in my mom's GLK however does indicate 110V so i'm thinking this is where these power inverters can be used.

any comment anyone?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by RDXtremist

was trying to use it power the baby's bottle warmer but it didn't work - it couldn't generate enough power to run the warmer.

perhaps i bought the wrong product or i'm missing something. but since the power outlets (the one in front of the shifter and one inside the centre console) are only capable of producing 12V, i'm not sure if the use of these power inverters can power household electrical products..

the power outlets in my mom's GLK however does indicate 110V so i'm thinking this is where these power inverters can be used.

any comment anyone?
I would plug in three things in one of those. I would plug (at the most) one accessory, preferably something with a battery, not powered directly.

The GLK probably has a real outlet, just like many other cars do, and something the RDX should have had from the beginning.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Power a laptop? any reason why you need constant power for it? are you using it to watch movies or something? Any reason why you couldn't just run on batteries? if being used as a DVD player, just buy one (device) that works for the car, we are talking about a couple hundred dollars....

To answer your question, I have not used the power inverter, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a laptop, the battery is what powers the machine, your adapter will be just re-charging the battery.

We will be making this long distance cross-country trip, driving up to 8-10 hours a day, with mini-breaks in between...My son is looking to play his PC games on it during the drive, and the laptop batteries will not last longer than 1.5 hours on gaming use.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
StayAtHomeDad

We will be making this long distance cross-country trip, driving up to 8-10 hours a day, with mini-breaks in between...My son is looking to play his PC games on it during the drive, and the laptop batteries will not last longer than 1.5 hours on gaming use.
I meant to say that I would not plug three things....

Well, 1.5 hours of gaming per trip leg is just fine...make the trip the old fashion way, talking and sharing the road with your son.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
^^ Fine for some but.... ;-)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I used one when I drove to wisconsin. I kept my phone charged with it for 12 hours straight while I listened to sat radio through the phone. I didn't have any problems. It's a targus power inverter. I've had it for years and it has worked great.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see any problem w/ an inverter rated at 175W that would be much more than enough. However, I would compare the price for the inverter to that of a universal power supply. Something like the I-Go power system found at Radio Shack or equivalent. This way you could charge your cell phone, PC, camera, etc. just by changing tips.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I meant to say that I would not plug three things....

Well, 1.5 hours of gaming per trip leg is just fine...make the trip the old fashion way, talking and sharing the road with your son.
Thanks for the advice We plan to make this an educational trip as well for him, visiting places like Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone National park, as it is on the way to the northwest.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXtremist

any comment anyone?
Power converter that i have converts 12 volts to 120 volts, it can power any household electrical products depeneding on the wattage. Mine is only 150 watts.