Anyone Had Problem With The Fuel Tank ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:38 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Had Problem With The Fuel Tank ??

We Purchased The Rdx Little More Than A Month Ago. Based.
On 10/14/06, While We Passed The Toll Gate On The Bridge And Suddenly I Heard A Loud "pop" Sound And I Immediately Pull Over The Car To Side.
I Checked The Exterior, No Damage Showing, I Checked Under The Car, Fuel Was Leaking From Tank.
I Took It To Dealer (dch Heart Acura In Fishkill, Ny), Service Manager Told My Wife That We Ran Over The Small Animal And Animal Punture The Gas Tank. I Told The Guy, If Gas Tank Cannot Take That Kind Of Impact From The Small Animal, That Is Manufacturers Defect From The Beginning And He Keep Insisting We Hit The Animal Because Service Manager Showed Some Kind Of Animal Skin On The Tank.. But When You Ran Over Something, You Can Feel That You Ran Over Something But We Did Not Ran Over Anything. Before That Incident, I Noticed That Engine Idling Was Very Unstable And Feel Like Something Was Compressing.
Gm Called From The Dealer Today, And Now He Is Telling Me That We Got Hit Or Ran Over The Metal Subject Which They Are Changing Their Story.

Also While My Wife At The Dealer Yesterday, I Heard Over From My Wifes Phone, He Was Shouting At My Wife That This Is Our Fault
What Kind Of Guy This Is ?? Shouting & Screaming At The Customer ?? We Are Asian, I Think This Guy Is Racist Or He Thinks That By Shouting At My Wife, He Think That My Wife Will Accept That Its Our Fault. What An Ass….
My Lawyer Told Me To File The Complain Which We Are Going To.

Let Me Know If Anybody Having Or Had Problem With Your Fuel Tank Or Engine Idling…
My Insurance Will Go There Today Or Tom, So Depends On The Outcome, I Will Call My Lawyer
Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Instructor

IMO, even if one hits an metal object, isn't there supposed to be a some sort of extra shield to protect the gas tank form that types of impact?? It is hard to believe an organic animal part did the damage to the tank.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Since nobody here can confirm or deny your part of the story regarding the damage it's tough to say what really happened. Strip away the emotion from the account and look at the evidence. Did they show you an impact point on the tank? If so, then you may have suffered some kind of road damage (how else could it get there?) and it is not a warranty issue.

However, having said that, it appears you're getting rather poor service from the dealeship, and I'd suggest you call AHM customer relations and try for a goodwill repair. Good luck
Old 10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
4th Gear

The Hole Was In Front Of The Tank..not Under The Tank

Originally Posted by Colin
Since nobody here can confirm or deny your part of the story regarding the damage it's tough to say what really happened. Strip away the emotion from the account and look at the evidence. Did they show you an impact point on the tank? If so, then you may have suffered some kind of road damage (how else could it get there?) and it is not a warranty issue.

However, having said that, it appears you're getting rather poor service from the dealeship, and I'd suggest you call AHM customer relations and try for a goodwill repair. Good luck
IT HAS HOLE, I WOULD SAID GAP WAS IN FRONT OF THE TANK, NOT UNDER.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Well buddy, I can see why they're yelling at you.... good luck
Old 10-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Racer

Idint, I have to warn you Colin works for Acura so he's not exactly impartial.

I do find it odd that your tank burst so easily. I'm surprised you and your family got out the car before the gas ignited. I don't know if the RDX is safe for you and your little ones to be in. I know you must be under a lot of stress from the near life ending experience. I would suggest getting a lawyer look into your issues.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh please I don't work for Acura, I work for an Acura dealership. I do think I'm reasonably inpartial, I just don't suffer fools lightly. Espcially fools that come back and yell.

Think about it. What does the dealership have to gain by denying warrany? Also the dealership doen't make the call on this, the district service rep does. Has it gone to him yet? We don't know. Why? Because we're only hearing what he wants us to hear.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SolidState
Idint, I have to warn you Colin works for Acura so he's not exactly impartial.
Oh and btw, I've never tried to hide this. The forum administrators have banned all of us (who work for a store) from putting this in our signatures. Because this is a dealership sponsored forum, they won't allow a "competitor" to post where they work. Of course, you wouldn't know this since the sponsoring dealer never posts here.....
Old 10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Colin
Oh please I don't work for Acura, I work for an Acura dealership. I do think I'm reasonably inpartial, I just don't suffer fools lightly. Espcially fools that come back and yell.

Think about it. What does the dealership have to gain by denying warrany? Also the dealership doen't make the call on this, the district service rep does. Has it gone to him yet? We don't know. Why? Because we're only hearing what he wants us to hear.
Hey Colin, I'm not trying to hear something that i want to hear here
I just want it to find out if any other RDX owner have or had same problem as I did... I just want find out whether its really I hit something that cause the problem or something that its manufacturers defect. I told the dealership to keep the tank for me so my lawyer can send it to shop to investigate further into this.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Instructor

No matter what the situation was, a fuel tank should not be punctured during normal driving. It must been an extraordinary condition (e.g., high rate of speed) with extraordinary object at exceptional angle and location of impact to actually have a hole created. If it were a collision, it should be another story but just driving normally?

I am not an expert on fuel tank design or automobile engineer but it just does not make a sense however one puts it.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:19 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Little Hint

Originally Posted by ldint
We Purchased The Rdx Little More Than A Month Ago. Based.
On 10/14/06, While We Passed The Toll Gate On The Bridge And Suddenly I Heard A Loud "pop" Sound And I Immediately Pull Over The Car To Side.
I Checked The Exterior, No Damage Showing, I Checked Under The Car, Fuel Was Leaking From Tank.
I Took It To Dealer (dch Heart Acura In Fishkill, Ny), Service Manager Told My Wife That We Ran Over The Small Animal And Animal Punture The Gas Tank. I Told The Guy, If Gas Tank Cannot Take That Kind Of Impact From The Small Animal, That Is Manufacturers Defect From The Beginning And He Keep Insisting We Hit The Animal Because Service Manager Showed Some Kind Of Animal Skin On The Tank.. But When You Ran Over Something, You Can Feel That You Ran Over Something But We Did Not Ran Over Anything. Before That Incident, I Noticed That Engine Idling Was Very Unstable And Feel Like Something Was Compressing.
Gm Called From The Dealer Today, And Now He Is Telling Me That We Got Hit Or Ran Over The Metal Subject Which They Are Changing Their Story.

Also While My Wife At The Dealer Yesterday, I Heard Over From My Wifes Phone, He Was Shouting At My Wife That This Is Our Fault
What Kind Of Guy This Is ?? Shouting & Screaming At The Customer ?? We Are Asian, I Think This Guy Is Racist Or He Thinks That By Shouting At My Wife, He Think That My Wife Will Accept That Its Our Fault. What An Ass….
My Lawyer Told Me To File The Complain Which We Are Going To.

Let Me Know If Anybody Having Or Had Problem With Your Fuel Tank Or Engine Idling…
My Insurance Will Go There Today Or Tom, So Depends On The Outcome, I Will Call My Lawyer
Don't Use All Leading Caps On Your Posts (it's annoying to read, you lose credibility and it's gotta be a pain to type - every word looks like the beginning of a sentence)
Old 10-17-2006, 11:33 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Don't Use All Leading Caps On Your Posts (it's annoying to read, you lose credibility and it's gotta be a pain to type - every word looks like the beginning of a sentence)
Lol Funny Stuff
Old 10-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Watch out or you'll get all caps!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gomboy60
No matter what the situation was, a fuel tank should not be punctured during normal driving.....

I am not an expert on fuel tank design or automobile engineer but it just does not make a sense however one puts it.
I'm not either, but since we're not there it's hard to judge except for what he's written. He says they dealer showed some evidence of a strike. He's disputing it and wants a second opinion. However, ldint, I don't think that a lawyer is an expert on gas tanks either. In my experience, when the lawyers get involved, things go downhill quickly.

I'll ask again. Has the district service manager ruled on this yet? Have you called Acura customer service? These are both things I'd do before calling a lawyer
Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Intermediate

I don't know about the rdx's fuel tank but if i recall correctly the tank's made out of hard abs plastic?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

In cold weather doesn't ABS become somewhat brittle? Whatever happened to the good oldfashioned printed steel fuel tank?

Did you take any pictures?

Mike
Old 10-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by crazymjb
In cold weather doesn't ABS become somewhat brittle? Whatever happened to the good oldfashioned printed steel fuel tank?

Did you take any pictures?

Mike

It depends on the composit. They were too heavy and they rusted away.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Some things should stay metal IMO...

Mike
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Advanced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZvwdmlTOL0

Underbody analysis from TOV
Old 10-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Mike
The composit tank saves weight and allows for a greater fuel capacity.