acura's 6-speed automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
acura's 6-speed automatic

acura has lately equipped its ZDX and MDX suvs with 6sp Automatic. This transmission has much higher first gear ratio.

6sp Automatic
First Gear Ratio (:1): 3.359
Second Gear Ratio (:1): 2.095
Third Gear Ratio (:1): 1.485
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1): 1.065
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.75
Sixth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.556
Reverse Ratio (:1): 2.27
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1): 4.25

5sp Automatic
First Gear Ratio (:1): 2.70
Second Gear Ratio (:1): 1.61
Third Gear Ratio (:1): 1.07
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.77
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.54
Reverse Ratio (:1): 1.89
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1): 4.53

its evident the new transmission first and second gear is stronger and should dramatically improve acceleration. it's also very close in terms of ratios to the TL's 6sp manual tranny and we know how much improvement the 6MT had over the 5AT for the TL:

First: 3.625
Second: 2.115
Third: 1.529
Fourth: 1.125
Fifth: 0.847
Sixth: 0.686

why isn't acura using this new transmission on the RDX? coupled with its turbo and sh-awd it would really make this car the most performance oriented honda available. and also would increase 0-60 dramatically. Case in point, the 2007 MDX ran from 0 to 60 in 8.1 seconds according to insideline. However for the 2010 model, the MDX equipped with the new 6sp AT, recorded a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds!! and that's a full second faster for this 4500lbs 7 seater vehicle. More gears don't necessary mean better performance. For example Audi's 7sp AT lags when you floor the gas. The 6sp at has 1 gear less and so computer can decide faster which gear to drop the vehicle into. I think acura should equip the RDX with this transmission. all of Acura's competitors have 6 or 7sp auto by now.

sources:
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/712/releases/5092
http://www.autoguide.com/new-cars/20...pkg/specs.html
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...acura-mdx.html
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...acura-mdx.html
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
there were rumored issues with the development of the 6 speed which possibly delayed the release of the new MDX. It probably was either never considered with the RDX or never made the cut. Even if the tranny had no issues whatsoever, I would think that other cars in the lineup would get it first before an entry-level model. At least the RL, then TL, then lastly the TSX/RDX. IMO, every single car, if acura has the 6sp, should have this implemented but Acura maintains its pecking order & price very well
Old 06-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right, the RDX SHOULD have this in the 2011 model but don't bet on it! This would seriously help big time with gas mileage too. I'd say there's a 2% chance the 2011 model gets this new 6AT.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
You're right, the RDX SHOULD have this in the 2011 model but don't bet on it! This would seriously help big time with gas mileage too. I'd say there's a 2% chance the 2011 model gets this new 6AT.
how then will the 2011 RDX compete? Audi's bringing in the 2.0T engine in their Q5 for the 2011 model... and they're prolly bringing down the price by $5k (my hunch)... 2.0T engine seems reliable too (at least amongst the better ones for the audi lineup if i am not mistaken) - Acura RDX sales will drop even further next year if they dont drop the prices...
Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
big shot.

what car do u kno of that drops in price? thats most likely going to be a rare event, its usually the opposite that occurs, a significant change or increase in equipment which you can marginalize by upping the price a bit. Expect that from Acura. Acuras stickers are in relatively new territory for the brand, TSX's reaching near 40, TL's over 40, the ZDX...the overall issue for Acura will not be price but the product behind the sticker. Their value equation has gone downhill, and thats what sold the majority of their vehicles (with reliability included). These days, its awfully hard to justify an acura over 40 other than the MDX or maybe the ZDX with its very favorable reviews. 300 HP engines and 6speeds are hardly new or enticing when companies are putting out well over 300hp and 7 or 8sp transmissions or using smaller engines while still achieving excellent performance - acura is well behind the curve in terms of engines and drivetrains and their equipment doesnt fill the gap. Their MPG is actually not that great either across their models. I always believed Acura base models to represent the strongest value, when i see acuras over 40k other than the MDX, i question everything.

as far as price drops go, that will not happen. The downside to the RDX is that the CUV market exploded, and new models started flying from everywhere, so what was relatively new in theory became quickly outdated. If Acura has a prayer in selling more RDX's, they need a redesign very soon to keep up with all the competitors.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by stoxxsp500
how then will the 2011 RDX compete? Audi's bringing in the 2.0T engine in their Q5 for the 2011 model... and they're prolly bringing down the price by $5k (my hunch)... 2.0T engine seems reliable too (at least amongst the better ones for the audi lineup if i am not mistaken) - Acura RDX sales will drop even further next year if they dont drop the prices...
Cuz they're idiots and a bunch of bean counters that won't see the value of adding something "new" into the RDX in it's last model year of the cycle. It should be due for a FMC for MY2012.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Cuz they're idiots and a bunch of bean counters that won't see the value of adding something "new" into the RDX in it's last model year of the cycle. It should be due for a FMC for MY2012.
While idiots don't, bean counters can get these things right sometimes. They may (MAY) have the six speed in the 2012 pipeline. If it costs them more money than they will make on marginal sales to do the six speed for 2011, they will not, and should not, do it. Think about it, how many more sales would they really gain in 2011 with the six speed, maybe a few hundred? And let's say they make $5000k per RDX. My guess it would cost a lot more than a few million to accelerate the six speed to 2011. And even THAT is assuming they plan to do it for 2012 (I think they might for fuel economy--if the RDX survives to 2016 the 2012 model FMC will be there.)
Old 06-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMike1981
what car do u kno of that drops in price? thats most likely going to be a rare event, its usually the opposite that occurs, a significant change or increase in equipment which you can marginalize by upping the price a bit. Expect that from Acura. Acuras stickers are in relatively new territory for the brand, TSX's reaching near 40, TL's over 40, the ZDX...the overall issue for Acura will not be price but the product behind the sticker. Their value equation has gone downhill, and thats what sold the majority of their vehicles (with reliability included). These days, its awfully hard to justify an acura over 40 other than the MDX or maybe the ZDX with its very favorable reviews. 300 HP engines and 6speeds are hardly new or enticing when companies are putting out well over 300hp and 7 or 8sp transmissions or using smaller engines while still achieving excellent performance - acura is well behind the curve in terms of engines and drivetrains and their equipment doesnt fill the gap. Their MPG is actually not that great either across their models. I always believed Acura base models to represent the strongest value, when i see acuras over 40k other than the MDX, i question everything.

as far as price drops go, that will not happen. The downside to the RDX is that the CUV market exploded, and new models started flying from everywhere, so what was relatively new in theory became quickly outdated. If Acura has a prayer in selling more RDX's, they need a redesign very soon to keep up with all the competitors.
actually they dropped the rdx price in canada for the MY 2010 - cut by $2k, and then they have dealer incentives for another $2k right now - been there for a few months now(correct me if im wrong craigmacdta). if they dont drop more next year, i dunno - as ive noticed, audi is definitely cutting price with their 2.0T Q5 for MY 2011. price differential, now would even be less vs RDX. acura is wasting 1 year doing nothing. i dunno . and yes they better completely overhaul now - if not, write 2011 off coz revenues will plunge, let alone profits...
Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brizey
While idiots don't, bean counters can get these things right sometimes. They may (MAY) have the six speed in the 2012 pipeline. If it costs them more money than they will make on marginal sales to do the six speed for 2011, they will not, and should not, do it. Think about it, how many more sales would they really gain in 2011 with the six speed, maybe a few hundred? And let's say they make $5000k per RDX. My guess it would cost a lot more than a few million to accelerate the six speed to 2011. And even THAT is assuming they plan to do it for 2012 (I think they might for fuel economy--if the RDX survives to 2016 the 2012 model FMC will be there.)
im really curious to find out what acura has on its sleeve for 2012 with rgds to rdx. so far not a spy pic nor rumors.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM
big shot.

they dropped the AWD price?

sticker is what matters....dealer incentives come and go, they do not reflect the cost of the car
Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Instructor

they dropped the AWD price?
Yep, it was C$41,800 for the '09 and it's now C$39,990 for the '10 before the 2K incentive. (They don't offer the FWD in Canada btw.)
Old 06-12-2010, 12:55 AM
big shot.

decent, weird tho
Old 06-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 698 Likes on 540 Posts
6speed auto made by Honda is a scary thing, I'd let it be on a market for 3-4 years to make sure there are no reliability issues. I am a veteran of a time when Honda introduced 5speed auto, and guess what, they fuked up. 4 seepds were fine, its the 5 speeds where having issues.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russianDude
6speed auto made by Honda is a scary thing, I'd let it be on a market for 3-4 years to make sure there are no reliability issues. I am a veteran of a time when Honda introduced 5speed auto, and guess what, they fuked up. 4 seepds were fine, its the 5 speeds where having issues.
I had a new 1999 TL (first year of gen 2). It had the old 4 speed. I was upset at first when they came out with the 5 speed for 2000. But then I found out the 1-2 upshift was automatic, even in manumatic mode. Then I starting hearing about the failures, and was not so pissed.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 698 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I had a new 1999 TL (first year of gen 2). It had the old 4 speed. I was upset at first when they came out with the 5 speed for 2000. But then I found out the 1-2 upshift was automatic, even in manumatic mode. Then I starting hearing about the failures, and was not so pissed.
yeah, it took acura 4 years to fix the problem with 5 speed autos (even though problems showed up immediately ), so starting 2004, and definiatly 2005+ problems are gone. Transmission is a really complicated component, every time Honda makes major redesign (such as adding new gear), it makes me scared.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Well, my RDX 5-speed served me well this AM going into work (yes, I had to work on a Saturday.) Anyway, for more than a mile some POS was in front of me literally going 15-18 MPH!!! I was like WTF is their problem?!?! I finally found a good spot to pass and just smashed the peddle to the floor and left this idiot in the dust!

The RDX is a damn FAST CUV.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 PM
big shot.

other than being another 'feature' on a spec sheet - i think the amount of gears are the least of the more prominent issues acura needs to address. Reviewers may be fed up with writing about the same 5spds - but if it aint broke dont fix it - my theory is that unless what you are replacing it with is either more efficient or delivers better performance, or both, then dont change what works already. Sadly for Honda who used to lead in engines theyve really sort of fallen off with modern R&D. Theyve been the same old V6's. Lets see some new powerplants - they threw a turbo on the I4 from the TSX, good step in the right direction, but other than that...snore - yes they are extremely reliable and certainly not broke, but they are basically the most underpowered brand in the luxury market...i mean, you can get over 300hp in an entry level Lexus IS. To me, more powerplant options, and the upper brand models need powerplant OPTIONS. If that also brings along improved trannys, thats fine, but i have no problem with the current 5speed at all. Alot of the vehicles i have driven w/6+ really dont execute THAT well, and the 6th gear is hardly used the way it should be and creates needless gear hunting. Some are better than others....i look forward to driving a new MDX soon to feel that out.

I think a great OPTION for the RDX, which would net some more buyers, would be to offer a V6 AND the Turbo - let the buyer choose, seat the turbo a little lower in price than what it is currently, and offer a V6 option that gives more equipment, thats my solution. Transmission? dont really care.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced

other than being another 'feature' on a spec sheet - i think the amount of gears are the least of the more prominent issues acura needs to address. Reviewers may be fed up with writing about the same 5spds - but if it aint broke dont fix it - my theory is that unless what you are replacing it with is either more efficient or delivers better performance, or both, then dont change what works already. Sadly for Honda who used to lead in engines theyve really sort of fallen off with modern R&D. Theyve been the same old V6's. Lets see some new powerplants - they threw a turbo on the I4 from the TSX, good step in the right direction, but other than that...snore - yes they are extremely reliable and certainly not broke, but they are basically the most underpowered brand in the luxury market...i mean, you can get over 300hp in an entry level Lexus IS. To me, more powerplant options, and the upper brand models need powerplant OPTIONS. If that also brings along improved trannys, thats fine, but i have no problem with the current 5speed at all. Alot of the vehicles i have driven w/6+ really dont execute THAT well, and the 6th gear is hardly used the way it should be and creates needless gear hunting. Some are better than others....i look forward to driving a new MDX soon to feel that out.

I think a great OPTION for the RDX, which would net some more buyers, would be to offer a V6 AND the Turbo - let the buyer choose, seat the turbo a little lower in price than what it is currently, and offer a V6 option that gives more equipment, thats my solution. Transmission? dont really care.
+1 on the constant searching. for me, a 6 speed is more than adequate and 5 is decent (my grandfather used to drive up to 5k rpm on gears 1-3 before downshifting on his vehicles- stick shift LOL God Bless his soul!). i hear ya on the 6 cyl RDX BUT, audi actually is confirmed to bring its Q5 2.0T 4cyl in canada and no more 3.2 6 Cyls. however, they're bringing in 8 speed AT too - i would have been fine with their old trannys as they're prolly more reliable. let us see what happens in 2011
Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Advanced

my pt being that audi actually is following rdx in bringing down their cuv to 4's with Turbo... so maybe rdx has something going for it -- eg. way too early but we're in the leading edge of tech LOL
Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 AM
big shot.

it makes sense for Audi to offer a turbo powerplant regardless: they are consistent throughout their model lineup and they already have the engine. The thing with Audi is that they get remarkably the same amount of performance and increased MPG from their smaller Turbo's (which Acura swung n missed on). Its more of a lateral move than horizontal. If they are cutting the V6 out entirely, i have no problem there when you look at the results the engine has produced in the A4 (going w/the I4 vs 6). Are you sure they are DROPPING the V6? Sounds to me its an optional powerplant, not the SOLE powerplant.

Car n Driver: 5 Goes Turbo Four

"Another interesting tidbit gleaned from the order guide is the appearance of a new Q5 model equipped with a 2.0-liter TFSI engine for 2011. It’s likely the newer 211-hp EA888 engine, which develops 258 lb-ft of torque, and it too will be paired with the eight-speed automatic. With less weight, more torque, and better fuel economy than the 3.2 V-6, we’ve found the 2.0T to be a better match for the A4, and we expect the same to be true with the Q5."
Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Rdx type-s!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Advanced

it makes sense for Audi to offer a turbo powerplant regardless: they are consistent throughout their model lineup and they already have the engine. The thing with Audi is that they get remarkably the same amount of performance and increased MPG from their smaller Turbo's (which Acura swung n missed on). Its more of a lateral move than horizontal. If they are cutting the V6 out entirely, i have no problem there when you look at the results the engine has produced in the A4 (going w/the I4 vs 6). Are you sure they are DROPPING the V6? Sounds to me its an optional powerplant, not the SOLE powerplant.

Car n Driver: 5 Goes Turbo Four

"Another interesting tidbit gleaned from the order guide is the appearance of a new Q5 model equipped with a 2.0-liter TFSI engine for 2011. It’s likely the newer 211-hp EA888 engine, which develops 258 lb-ft of torque, and it too will be paired with the eight-speed automatic. With less weight, more torque, and better fuel economy than the 3.2 V-6, we’ve found the 2.0T to be a better match for the A4, and we expect the same to be true with the Q5."
exacto! im not sure what they'll do in the US but yes, 100% sure they have only the 2.0T in the A4/A5/Q5 in canada. just confirmed with the dealership. ive got no gripes against the audi, just hope their reliability really improves then im 100% sold on a new Q5. keep us posted with your Q5 mike.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
big shot.

Its more of a lateral move than vertical. <-- thats what i meant haha brain freeze wow
Old 06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Edmunds is suggesting the new model year 2013 (coming out 2012) may have no turbo, but a base 4c and top model with v6 to deal with mpg limits. Vtec questions whether thr RDX will survive given its low sales numbers.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by icenoir
Edmunds is suggesting the new model year 2013 (coming out 2012) may have no turbo, but a base 4c and top model with v6 to deal with mpg limits. Vtec questions whether thr RDX will survive given its low sales numbers.
That would suck if the RDX is a one hit wounder. What ever happen to the I-4 and v-6 diesel for the TSX and MDX?

The I-4 turbo diesel + 6AT + mild hybrid (like the system on the previous gen honda accord v-6) could provide some options for consumers. I would consider this powertrain for the RDX because I usually put between 150-225 miles per week on the CUV. If I was able to get a combined +28-32 mpg would make me stick with the acura brand.

I would be nice if Acura did offer more powertrain options (diesel, supercharger, turbo, hybrid, direct injection with regular fuel).
Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Unfortunately the 4spd autos had reliability issues as well. 98-02 accords as well as the 97+Acura CL 3.0L with the 4spds had tranny failures galore! Honda even extended the warranty to 100k for the transmissions. I got the notice from honda when I had my 01 Accord V6 4AT.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by icenoir
is edmunds reliable for these things? as mentioned in another thread, a 5 seater CUV will very likely (99%) happen. just dunno if its released late 2011 or 2012. as well, it prolly wont be called RDX, so indeed, it might not have a turbo... (and be called by some other three lettered name)
Old 07-10-2010, 04:54 PM
7th Gear

Auki Q5 --> VW Tiguan

The Audi Q5 2.0 Turbo with a 6 speed AT is a VW Tiguan. Last I looked the EPA's were 18 City -- 26 Highway. Very little improvement over an RDX which has more power and is faster. VW does not differentiate between the FWD and the 4 motion so I am not sure if the are the same or not.

So, what is the big deal about the Q5 2.0 turbo and 6 speed AT?
Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 PM
7th Gear

Sorry the Tiguan Highway is 24 with the auto not 26 mpg.