Acura RDX vs Mazda CX7

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by technics_speak
meaning? have i offended you? i really meant it when i said youre a lemming. sorry guy.
you're even more clueless than you sound...
Old 06-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CGTSX2004 - so you're really saying that I'm not clueless at all, considering there is no "sound".

Anyway, I just had a chance to check out an RDX in person. I'll keep it simple (for those of like mind). B9 tribeca in the back. 1.7 EL 'on-crack' in the front. It's bad enough Honda was totally inspired to use the same general rear light geometry on the Civic sedan ( modelled EXACTLY after their superior competitor, Audi) but they applied the same geometry that they were "inspired by" in the FRONT headlights of the RDX. They must have thought it was a really good idea to repeatedly keep using it.

CL6 - when you start quoting JD power figures, you're basically trying to convince me that Paris Hilton is one of the most influential people of the past 4 years. I'm well past that method of judgement. I don't look to the herd for queues on how to live my life, sorry. I also don't believe in "tiers" per se, considering these are titles and positions that are generally bought, bribed and paid for. Kinda funny, that for a "non-tier 1" company, Mazda is sure cutting into market share as of late, and again there is no substitute for thoughtful design and excellent engineering. Even regular people are seeing this, as reflected in booming sales for Mazda. Less marketing; more substance. Honda (and their drivers apparently) just seem like they have too much to prove.

My official (and educated) verdict on this is CX-7 >>>>> RDX.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Simmer down people.....

Remember that technics has stated his opinion, nothing more.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right... you're different... just like everybody else. If the majority of people like something then it can't be very good because people are basically unevolved and if they like something it must be because it is not very refined or subtle so you will simply look for something that is 'under-valued' and extol the virtures of that to your peer group. The 'herd' zigs so you zag. So I guess you do 'look to the herd for queues on how to live' your life because you just do the opposite. I bet you spend time talking about that band that 'used to be good' before it 'got popular' and now you just can't listen to their music.

Regardless of the vitures of the 'Mazda' or the 'Acura' I feel sorry for somebody with such a chip on their shoulder.

Take care.

I don't look to the herd for queues on how to live my life, sorry.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

CL6, it's not quite so simple. It isnt about being a 'rebel', it's about looking deeper into why things are as they are, the variable factors and recognizing who has to benefit from said "reports". I'm a DIY or die kinda guy, where i need objective technical facts to support my beliefs (most of which is firsthand experience) and I look less toward general statistics and trends. If something 'fails', I need to know why, what constitutes failure etc. We've owned all major japanese brands, including 2 Hondas. All of them have been great cars but the absolute best value would have to be a 1989 Mazda 626 which has been more reliable than the Honda Civic we;ve owned and the Prelude we currently own. Civic suffered catastrophic failures like the lower ball joint separating and thus the wheel falling off (entire wheel, hub and all) while driving. This is a very common problem with Hondas as I've seen upward of 20 REAL LIFE examples. Ignitors failing in the Prelude causing the engine not to start. We currently have a 97 Toyota Camry with over 300K on the clock and this is looking like a winner in terms of reliaility as well. Driving dynamic is certainly not performance oriented but its a nice (albeit SLOW lol) cruiser. Anyway this discussion seems to be digressing wildly, but my point is facts, figures, prestige and general consensus really need do a context before I can take them too seriously.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey... I never questioned the reliability of even a Suzuki. I never said any was really less reliable than any other brand. I do not believe this was my 'point.' From a numerical standpoint, a Buick is more reliable than a BMW. I do not believe BMW drivers could be convinced to drive Buicks based purely on 'objective technical facts.' There is obviously something more going on there. Perhaps it is 'image' or 'perception' but those things are important. When you sit in a car and the dashboard is hard and shiny it is important. This was my point.

And if you are 'about looking deeper into' things then I can agree with you. However, the language you used in your post was not very deep and it seemed to spend as much time giving an opinion as it did serving as self-aggrandizement.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
CL6, it's not quite so simple. It isnt about being a 'rebel', it's about looking deeper into why things are as they are, the variable factors and recognizing who has to benefit from said "reports". I'm a DIY or die kinda guy, where i need objective technical facts to support my beliefs (most of which is firsthand experience) and I look less toward general statistics and trends. If something 'fails', I need to know why, what constitutes failure etc. We've owned all major japanese brands, including 2 Hondas. All of them have been great cars but the absolute best value would have to be a 1989 Mazda 626 which has been more reliable than the Honda Civic we;ve owned and the Prelude we currently own. Civic suffered catastrophic failures like the lower ball joint separating and thus the wheel falling off (entire wheel, hub and all) while driving. This is a very common problem with Hondas as I've seen upward of 20 REAL LIFE examples. Ignitors failing in the Prelude causing the engine not to start. We currently have a 97 Toyota Camry with over 300K on the clock and this is looking like a winner in terms of reliaility as well. Driving dynamic is certainly not performance oriented but its a nice (albeit SLOW lol) cruiser. Anyway this discussion seems to be digressing wildly, but my point is facts, figures, prestige and general consensus really need do a context before I can take them too seriously.
And while that's all fine and good, your sample size is too small to make large sweeping statements. You can set the correct context for your generalizations to be based on your own personal, limited experience, but you cannot say that what you have experienced is exactly what everyone else in the world has. You were making the same sweeping statements as everyone else without setting things in context.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
technics-speak,
You've stated your opinion. Why you believe that everyone else in the world should bow down to you and instantly respect your opinion, only you and your psychiatrist know. The reality is that no one really gives a damn what you think. Other posters have provided factual proof that Honda's and Acura's are, on average, more reliable than Mazda's. Your history with TWO Honda products (which cannot be verified) is of no interest to anyone. We are here to discuss the Acura RDX. You are free to live your life the way you want to, but only a narcissist would expect others to care.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

i like the (which cannot be verified) part. lol

thanks for the memo, bossman
Old 07-02-2006, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

rdx is dope

i think the rdx will be super fresh! i just test drove the cx 7 and it looks kinda cool. just a little strange in front. the car drives wildly almost dangerously. it really jolts unexpenctantly forward.. i havent driven the rdx yet, i just know honda will totally engineer out any strangeness. i think the dev costs of the cx7 were just crazy high. but i do like the taillights. they look a little cheap and dont have very much depth. the chrome window surround looks great!. i just know the rdx will slaughter this car when it hits market.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
technics-speak,
You've stated your opinion. Why you believe that everyone else in the world should bow down to you and instantly respect your opinion, only you and your psychiatrist know. The reality is that no one really gives a damn what you think. Other posters have provided factual proof that Honda's and Acura's are, on average, more reliable than Mazda's. Your history with TWO Honda products (which cannot be verified) is of no interest to anyone. We are here to discuss the Acura RDX. You are free to live your life the way you want to, but only a narcissist would expect others to care.

What a complete moron. His supposed "real-world" experience of a whopping sample size of 2 Hondas and 1 Mazda, allows him to make better conclusions than JD Power.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one

Back on topic:
I'm eager to see a full comparo of a RDX going head to head with a X3. Acura aimed to beat the X3 on all levels, and it'd be interesting to see if they met their targets.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
cor
MR O'NEAL

Want to include more details on what an Initial Quality test is?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

Everytime i visit this site I begin rolling on the ground, laughing!

I worked for a large media software company. We purchased JD power certification. People dont earn JD Power ratings, you flippin lemming!!! Its a costly 'bestowment'. KD Power in particular means next to nothing. Have any of you checked Consumer Reports or any other 'independant' organizations? Mazda is kicking ass. Not like this translates in anyway to making ME cooler, unless I'm in a battle of the drones, who puke the same BS (such as the fine specimens youve make youselves to be ) at only times like this, you have no argument. My first hand examples extend far beyond the cars I'v personally owned, because I am currently in the automotive industry. Quite simply, chances are my sample size is far greater than your sample size in terms of first-hand experience. Which puts me in a position to completely call you out with regard to what youve heard/read.

Either way this works out. Honda is a big-money corporation that has officially tapped out of VTEC like ideas and is simply left fiddling with existing technologies, and not even at an impressive rate. At the same time, I dont want to pull up beside the same vehicle I drive and see 'someone like you' driving it :p So we're good
Old 07-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Honda/Acura's record speaks for itself and Ford/Mazda's record speaks for itself. I had the opportunity to ride in a friend's RX8 again this past weekend and my opinion of Mazda is even lower than before. Mazda has fully adopted Ford's style of producing crap and then marketing the hell out of it for dummies to buy.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Racer

Mazda is kicking ass according to CR?

Well, let's compare the Mazda6 to the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry (two of the most common competitors). Since I can't use the little circle symbols, I'll just use a number from 1 to 5 to represent CR's rating, 5 being excellent and 1 being poor.

Mazda6 V6 sedan predicted reliability: 2
Honda Accord V6: 4
Toyota Camry V6: 4

Now let's look at the reliability breakdown for '03 through '05 (the years with data for the mazda6), where CR breaks it down into categories like engine, cooling, transmission, etc. Out of 45 possible ratings (15 categories, 3 model years), here is how many ratings each car had that was either a 4 or a 5:

Mazda: 29
Honda: 38
Toyota: 43

Now, the 4-cyl mazda6 does a *little* better... predicted reliability of 3... but for the breakdown, out of 30 ratings (not enough info for '05 according to their website), they still only have 21 4's or 5's... in those 2 years, the honda and toyota #'s were 24 and 29, respectively.

Let's look at an Altima, since most people would agree that nissan's quality isn't on par with Honda and Toyota.

V6 predicted reliability: 4
Breakdown: 34/45 for years '03 to '05

Yes... CR's just in love with Mazda.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
at this thread. I am locking it as it has degenerated into a pi$$ing contest. We can revisit the topic when someone has actually driven both the RDX and the CX7.