Acura RDX In Terms Of Reliability & Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acura RDX In Terms Of Reliability & Longevity

we currently have a 08 acura rdx non tech in our family. currently it has about 46,000 miles. anyway we do maintain our cars very well and i know this car is still new but what are your thoughts on reliability and longevity of this car?

the car has no occ, all stock except for k&n air filter. reaching close to warranty end and thoughts/worries are comming to mind. how do you guys think this car will do to 100k miles and after?

only time will tell i guess, but thoughts much appreciated. thanks. below are my service intervals.

Oil: 5k
Air Filter: 30k
Cabin Filter: 30k
Diff Fluid: 50k
Trans Fluid: 50k
Radiator Flush: 50k
Brake Fluid: 50k
Spark Plugs: 50k
Brake Pad: Whenever Necessary
Tires & Rotation: Whenever Necessary
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 87 Posts
As a general rule, Acura/Honda products are bulletproof and good for hundreds of thousands of miles. There's no reason to think the RDX wouldn't live up to that standard.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 698 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
As a general rule, Acura/Honda products are bulletproof and good for hundreds of thousands of miles. There's no reason to think the RDX wouldn't live up to that standard.
yeah, sure tell that to Acura 2000-2003 CL/TL owners ... they had a very minor glitch in these years, something as small as transmission, and the funny thing they still can't fix the problem for older models.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 87 Posts
That's the exception that proves the rule, russianDude. Had that tranny problem happened with Ford, for instance, we never would have heard about it because those cars falling apart is expected. And it still seems that the Acura tranny issue was greatly overblown on the internet by a very small but very vocal group.

I stick with my original statement that, AS A GENERAL RULE, Acura and Honda products are very reliable for a long time.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Except for the fact, we must realize...RDX - has a TURBO in it.
Whole new different ball game.
The Turbo is something you have to constantly keep an eye on
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
tranny problems were all over the place in acura & honda w/V6's. Had 2 accords, 03 & 04, both slipping @ 30k. There were also recalls, one big one. Dumped the cars to get out of them quick before something major happened or had to go thru a fix at such low mileage. From what i remember it was a big issue and widespread, dont think they ironed out all the kinks till around 06...i think they had shit trannys from around 99 & 2000 forward

but hopefully that is in the past.....im really not concerned with anything but the turbo, but i would think thats to be expected in any car w/a turbo
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

I am not that worried about the turbo. Should be good for at least 100k.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

I have been maintaining an "overkill" with the oil change, using mainly Mobil 1 or Pennzoil platinum, and doing 6 oil changes a year (regardless of the MID). This may seem much, but since it's DIY, parts costing only $25 per change, @ $150 a year, the cost is worth it to have a relatively clean engine.

The best thing one can do to keep the engine running well is an oil change.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engines are usually the last thing to worry about on new cars and even when they do have problems, it's often a sensor, chain, gasket etc. Nothing maintenance can control.

I am not really worried about the long term reliability of the RDX, but like many cars, some of it is luck. As more miles pile on, we'll find out the longevity of the stock turbo, trans, seals, diffs. A good turbo/well oiled should last a long time. Acura's transmission issues have me a bit worried since I don't find the 5 speed all that responsive and it seems a bit sluggish at times.

Either way, a 4 year warranty takes care of a lot of worries and a longer powertrain warranty does as well. As cars get older than that, shit happens and maintenance starts adding up (i.e. brake jobs, coolant flushes, bearings etc.).
Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
big shot.

my concern with the turbo is down the road post 100k that is...but nothing really would regularly concern me mechanically with a honda/acura prior to 100k other than transmission stuff since its happened in the past
Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by hl0m4n
we currently have a 08 acura rdx non tech in our family. currently it has about 46,000 miles. anyway we do maintain our cars very well and i know this car is still new but what are your thoughts on reliability and longevity of this car?

the car has no occ, all stock except for k&n air filter. reaching close to warranty end and thoughts/worries are comming to mind. how do you guys think this car will do to 100k miles and after?

only time will tell i guess, but thoughts much appreciated. thanks. below are my service intervals.

Oil: 5k
Air Filter: 30k
Cabin Filter: 30k
Spark Plugs: 50k
Brake Pad: Whenever Necessary
Tires & Rotation: Whenever Necessary
I believe Acuras are very reliable and have excellent longevity. My opinion is the mechanicals are the most important. My 2008 RDX is now 19 months old and the only thing it’s needed in the way of service was a failed passenger side power window button. No big deal. Knock On Wood!!

I think the fit and finish of the exterior is excellent. The down side is the inside with its little creaks and rattles. Granted, its winter and the noises seem to be more noticeable than in warmer weather. Come on Acura, tighten up the interiors and add some soundproofing to your cars! I would go as far to say I’d even pay a little more for a much improved interior. I would only bring my RDX in for interior noises if it was REALLY BAD. I sure as HELL don’t want the dealer pulling my interior apart for something they might not even find. I mean, yeah the noises are there but I’ve learnt to deal with it as long as the RDX stays mechanically reliable.

I’m at the point where I only keep a car for four or five years max as the “new car itch” starts to kick in big time! And which my current warrantee is now gone.

PS. It always seems like something that can go wrong and cost $$$ always happens shortly after the warrantee runs out, hence, my four to five year max rule.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Intermediate

I would not keep it past the 6yr warranty ending. Its acura's first turbo. Plus, in 6 yrs, gas will be so expensive that 17mpg will cost too much. The leather is low quality too and would be pretty worn in 6 years. Lastly, in 6 years, batteries will be cheap and there will be lots of hybrids to take the edge off rising gas prices.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 698 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Mine failed at 72K miles, it was well after 100K/7yr warranty on transmission, Acura still gave me good will and I only paid $1200. They handled it OK, but the problem that even the replacement they put now is still bad design.
Acura solved transmission problem in 2005+. Transmissions don't really fail after 2005.
I doubt turbo will have problems, 2007 RDX is already 3-4 years old, so would see failures by now. I am sure there will be few failures here and there, but its not going to be like transmission in 2000-2003. In 2001 CL/TL, after 1 year of ownership transmission started dropping like crazy, every day someone new would come in and publish his transmission story, it was out of control. I've been on acurazine since 2001
Old 01-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the tranny on my 2000 TL failed at around 120,000 km and Acura replaced it for free. They also gave me another one at about 130,000 km when the replacement failed. I bought my RDX to replace it when it was totalled by a red light runner in 2008. Other than the tranny, the car was flawless. Everything worked like new after almost 9 years. Even though Acura is not perfect (is any carmaker?), I like them because of their warranty. If there is a known problem, they extend the warranty, as they did with the tranny issue.

For me, personally, I feel very confident in Acura quality. And if there is a problem, I am confident they will handle it properly. I put them on par with my Lexus dealer in that respect.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
My service department manager told me last week that he has one client with a 2007 RDX with a 150000 miles on it and he's had no issues, including the turbo.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Syzygy
Yeah, the tranny on my 2000 TL failed at around 120,000 km and Acura replaced it for free. They also gave me another one at about 130,000 km when the replacement failed. I bought my RDX to replace it when it was totalled by a red light runner in 2008. Other than the tranny, the car was flawless. Everything worked like new after almost 9 years. Even though Acura is not perfect (is any carmaker?), I like them because of their warranty. If there is a known problem, they extend the warranty, as they did with the tranny issue.

For me, personally, I feel very confident in Acura quality. And if there is a problem, I am confident they will handle it properly. I put them on par with my Lexus dealer in that respect.
I bought a brand new 2003 CL-S before my RDX. I remember reading and hearing all the horrific tranny problems but I really lucked out as by this time most all problems were caught and fixed for the most part when I got my CL Type-S. They did issue one recall that I brought it in for to install a "tranny oil jet?" or something. In any case the tranny was flawles for the 5 1/2 years I had that car. Still miss it today!!

In any case, I think the RDX tranny is quite good and well matched to the engine. In "D" mode it just feels seemless almost. In sport mode it seems to take everything thrown at it so far. The paddle shifters work extremely well IMO. I'm impressed, especially based on past Acura/Honda auto tranny issues.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I haven't heard anything detrimental regarding the RDX's reliability.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Anyone know what the OEM turbo costs? Turbo swaps like for like are usually not that hard, although the flap thingy on this one might add some complexity.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have absolutely zero worries about RDX longevity/reliability. We would've seen major issues on the RDX by now if there were any to see. I have an '07 (3 years this month) and several others here do as well. From what I can recall, there have been no recalls! Dig it.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by hl0m4n
we currently have a 08 acura rdx non tech in our family. currently it has about 46,000 miles...

I do not have my owner's manual handy, but I think it says to change the DIFF FLUID every 15,000 miles (maximum), and at 7500 miles for first change (under mostly city driving). So waiting until 50K miles seems too long. This is a very complex piece of hardware, and uses lightweight transmission oil (not gear oil). I think is is nice to flush out those metal wear pieces from all of those gears inside the box.

My personal preference is to flush the BRAKE FLUID each year. I am certain many would think that is too often, but I live in Utah, where the winters are snowy and salty.

Also, I personally will change my TRANSMISSION and RADIATOR fluids every two years. Just my own personal preference, as neither is difficult, and I will be doing it myself.

By the way, you did not list the TRANSFER CASE fluid, which should be changed with the TRANSMISSION fluid. The transfer case works hard, holds only less than a quart of oil, so I changed it at 6000 miles with a synthetic 75W-90 oil, about $10 cost (doing it myself).
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
big shot.

its 15k first change then 30 thereafter or as required
Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Meat Popsicle

My experience with Acura 2001 CL-S, 2005 TL, 2007 RDX.

Never had a major issue with any of them. Never stranded, never a failure to start.

100K with good maintanence should not be a problem.

I have a friend who is tight with the cash, and he has bought several accords since the time I met him, and he always buys a used one with 90K + miles. He loves them.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMike1981
its 15k first change then 30 thereafter or as required
FOR THE RDX - if your reference is to the REAR DIFFERENTIAL, then the 'official' Acura Service Manual says (same as user's manual):

MAINTENANCE MINDER ITEM: A6 or B6
"Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of mechanicals (shear) stress to fluid. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If the vehicle is regularly driven under these conditions, change the differential fluid at 7,500 miles (12,000 km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km)."

If your reference is to the TRAMSMISSION and TRANSFER CASE, then the Acura Service Manual (same as user's manual), says:

MAINTENANCE MINDER ITEM: A3 or B3
"Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission and transfer fluid temperatures. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If the vehicle is regularly driven under these conditions, change the transmission and transfer fluid at 60,000 miles (100,000 km), then every 30,000 miles (48,000 km)."

============
For example, if one lives in Utah (or a similar state), which is definitely mountainous - a daily commute over the Salt Lake to Park City Parley's way summit in heavy traffic, which has the steepest Interstate highway in the USA, I think qualifies as severe service, as defined above.

============
As a reference, my Acura dealer recommends severe service intervals for all Acura vehicles that they service, unless the vehicle is used primarily for highway travel. True, this is in their best interest (money wise). Since I do my own service of fluids, which is really not difficult, I use the severe service intervals. Anyway, my dealer only charges $89 for each of the fluid changes listed above.

============
By the way, I paid $170 plus around $8 shipping by UPS for the official Acura Service Manual, direct from the publisher, which is listed in the back of the User's Manual. Including shipping, that was the cheapest price I found, including other online sources. This is for the 2009 RDX manual(s). The 2007 and 2008 manuals are less, I think because the body and electrical manuals are separate from the repair manuals. Near as I can tell, everything is included in the 2009 manual(s) for $170, which also covers years 2007 and 2008.

Sorry if this is confusing, but perhaps you should check with the printer/publisher if buying a manual. The specific manual I have is part number 61STK02, for reference.

Actually, the manual is written and published by Acura (and only printed and sold in the USA - saves shippings cost from Japan I guess). Probably explains why this manual is about 10 times better than the Chevy Blazer S10 manual (official) that I purchased through the same printers, i.e., GM does not know how to write a manual.

Sorry, check your user's manual for the name of the printer. Every car sold in the USA provides their official hardcopy manuals through this same printer.

I am uncertain if this printer also supplies the available CD and online manuals available for all cars sold in the USA.

Anyway, the Acura hardcopy manual is two volumes of about 1200 pages each - printed on 50% recycled paper that is about as thin as tissue. Good info, not so good paper and binding. Reminds me of the 1930's 'pulp' printed pocket books.

But this is exactly what my Acura Dealer has, and yes, their manual is completely trashed and missing the first 20 pages and front cover. So I guess it actually gets used sometimes. A good look though it is what convinced me to buy my own copy. For me, it has already paid for itself.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

In case the above example of severe service seems extreme, how about simply a person who lives at the top of Salt Lake City, Denver, Los Angeles, etc. who then commutes downtown. The couple of thousand feet altitude differential, at 30mph in heavy traffic, is going to meet the definition of severe service of the Acura Manual.

For my personal vehicle, which is actually driven by my wife, it is driven only 7 miles one way in heavy traffic each day. Summers are 100 degrees and winters are 20 degrees. In winter especially the car barely warms the drivetrain fluids, during a commute.

So I prefer to use the severe service intervals for my own personal vehicle (which my wife constantly reminds me is HER vehicle). I am only responsible to pay for the services, and only allowed to drive it to the dealer for service.