Acura Announces February Sales (RDX: 2034 units)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Announces February Sales (RDX: 2034 units)

Code:
Acura Announces February Sales

Light-Truck and TSX Sales Reach a New Monthly High

TORRANCE, Calif., March 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Led by a February record for
sales of light trucks and the TSX sports sedan, Acura sold a total of
13,658 vehicles for the month, off 3.4 percent from last year, the luxury
division announced today.
    "Harsh weather in some key Acura markets presented a few challenges,
but we are pleased with the sales figures for the TSX and our light
trucks," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president, sales. "As the
temperatures rise nationwide, we expect Acura sales to increase as well."
    The redesigned 2007 Acura MDX luxury SUV was the top-selling Acura
model with 4,330 units sold, an increase of 0.5 percent over 2006.
Meanwhile, the turbocharged RDX entry-premium SUV posted total sales of
2,034 units, making February the model's second-best month since its
introduction in June of 2006. The two models combined for an Acura
light-truck record of 6,364 units.
    The TSX sports sedan totaled 2,769 units, an increase of 3.6 percent
from the same period in 2006, setting a monthly record for the model.

American Honda Vehicle Sales For February 2007

Month-to-                 Year-to-
                                     Date                      Date
                          February  February  DSR** February  February  DSR**
                            2007      2006    % Chg.  2007      2006    % Chg.
    MODEL BREAKOUTS BY
     DIVISION
    Acura Division Total    13,658   14,146   -3.4%   26,675   28,127   -7.1%
       RSX                      73    1,271  -94.3%      200    2,559  -92.3%
       TL*                   4,057    5,169  -21.5%    7,935   10,037  -22.6%
       TSX                   2,769    2,674    3.6%    5,397    5,878  -10.1%
       RL                      395      712  -44.5%      828    1,485  -45.4%
       NSX                       0       10                0       17
       MDX*                  4,330    4,310    0.5%    8,483    8,151    1.9%
       RDX*                  2,034        0            3,832        0
    Selling Days                24       24               49       48
      * Honda and Acura vehicles are made of domestic and global sourced parts.
     ** Daily Selling Rate
Old 03-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Race Director

RSX
Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Ouch, looks like the sales are continue to drop.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Instructor

It's better than January's, and slightly under December's. In another folder/thread you can compare the growth month over month. I think it's doing OK, not stellar, just OK.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
No wonder why there are suddenly so many TV ads for the RDX, MDX, and even the gracefully aging TSX!

No RL though.... is Acura giving it up?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Ouch, looks like the sales are continue to drop.
Not really..... with sales numbers for RDX in January with 31 days: 1798 units...... and February with 28 days: 2034 units. Looks like about a 13% gain to me for 2007.
The info above, if correct, says that Feb. was the second best month for the RDX.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned

So does this mean I can sell my 06 TL and get an RL for cheap?

I don't get why they're not selling....is it just not worth the extra money over the TL?

hp RL>TL
drive train RL>TL
touch nav TL>RL (big deal to me, at least)
misc. neat crap RL>TL

what am I missing?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by revitupwriteitoff

I don't get why they're not selling....is it just not worth the extra money over the TL?

hp RL>TL
drive train RL>TL
misc. neat crap RL>TL

what am I missing?
if you care where your car is made:

RL is made in Japan
TL is made in Ohio
Old 03-01-2007, 09:19 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

The overall sales trend is not changing much. Still on track for about 22K units per year.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Cruisin'

RDX Sales

The new CRV is the best selling SUV It beat out the Explorer and RAV4. Why such a contrast with the RDX. Price, Value Styling?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pahns5
The new CRV is the best selling SUV It beat out the Explorer and RAV4. Why such a contrast with the RDX. Price, Value Styling?
Advertising (or lack of it). My wife and I learned that the RDX existed last month when we went to check out MDXs, and said "hey look, that one looks like the other MDXs, only smaller!" We'd never heard of it or seen one prior to that. Sure they've got TV ads running regularly now, but the ads are completely forgetable unless you already know the car and what it is all about. I think BMW had similar issues (by comparison) in the first year the X3 was available. Could be wrong on that.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pahns5
I would suspect there are few issues. First is that an upscale small SUV has a smaller market than many other categories (e.g. upscale sedans). The chances of the RDX outselling the TL are slim to none. Sedans and large SUV's are more popular in the upscale realm. Also, the RDX is a new model with no history. Many people have never seen or heard of an RDX and would not even know to look at an Acura dealership for a car of its nature. The CR-V and the MDX have long histories which help. I think that PERCEIVED value might be a bit problematic for the RDX as well (mid thirties for a four-banger???).
Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
if you care where your car is made:

RL is made in Japan
TL is made in Ohio
Well that would only help my argument...I didn't know the RL was made in Japan ( I don't keep up with these things well), I only knew that my TL was made in Ohio.

So why aren't they selling? If it weren't for the non-touch navi, I'd be more active in trying to trade in my car.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Race Director

Well that would only help my argument...I didn't know the RL was made in Japan ( I don't keep up with these things well), I only knew that my TL was made in Ohio.

So why aren't they selling? If it weren't for the non-touch navi, I'd be more active in trying to trade in my car.
Well, maybe people are thinking, why should I pay $50K for a luxury Honda?

Yup here is the list where Acuras are made:

RL (Japan)
TSX (Japan)
RSX (Japan)
NSX (Japan)

TL (USA)
MDX (Canada)
RDX (USA)
CL (USA)
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hp RL>TL
drive train RL>TL
misc. neat crap RL>TL

what am I missing?
Personally I think the RL is lacking in the exterior styling department, but still if that were the class of car that I was shopping for I'd still probably get one.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

well at least the sales of the Rdx is getting better..
Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hp RL>TL
drive train RL>TL
misc. neat crap RL>TL

what am I missing?

It is probably more ability of consumer than it is worth of vehicle. I would not be able to afford an RL, I could afford a TL. In fact, I had an 05 TL. When I bought it the salesman tried to get me to test drive an RL. I told him I did not want to because I had no business wanting that car, even if I was eligibly for the financing, I just considered it to be too much money.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by dennarda
It is probably more ability of consumer than it is worth of vehicle. I would not be able to afford an RL, I could afford a TL. In fact, I had an 05 TL. When I bought it the salesman tried to get me to test drive an RL. I told him I did not want to because I had no business wanting that car, even if I was eligibly for the financing, I just considered it to be too much money.
Interestingly, I thought similarly, but got an 06 RL in November at steep discounts, over 11K off MSRP! It was just a little more than an 07 TL-S or and maybe a few steps more over an RDX Tech Pack, but still close to RDX Tech Pack MSRP.

With the RL sales so low, you know you can get steep discounts, and with a new (March 07) $3500 dealer incentive....I think the RL is a great car and excellent value for the money...

The RL is a very fundamentally different package than the RDX, and I think the mini-SUV package is the more attractive thing to most that buy the RDX, plus the fact that people *think* the RL is more in the $50K territory. For most, the RDX allows you to haul a lot more stuff, but I love the tech of the RL over the TL and the RDX, and because of the "flagship" moniker, the execution of all the details is very much nicer...and the V6 gas mileage is about the same as I see here...But hey, this is an RDX forum not an RL forum.

You can tell I still have a deep attraction to the RDX because I hang out in this forum as much as the RL forum.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Glad that sales are up

Glad I was able to do my small part in contributing to the numbers (or maybe I'll show up in the March numbers).

Closed the deal on 2/27 on an inbound CBP/Taupe Tech and was told that it will be in tomorrow. Definetly looking forward to the new ride.

I can honestly say that, at least at my dealership, there seems to be a lot of interest in the RDX. As a matter of fact, when I stopped by there yesterday, 2 new owners were driving their new RDXs off the lot
Old 03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nj kayaker
Glad I was able to do my small part in contributing to the numbers (or maybe I'll show up in the March numbers).

Closed the deal on 2/27 on an inbound CBP/Taupe Tech and was told that it will be in tomorrow. Definetly looking forward to the new ride.
Kayaker, I like that kayak. Is it an Old Town? Did you buy the roof rack and kayak attachment for your RDX?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=dennarda I think that PERCEIVED value might be a bit problematic for the RDX as well (mid thirties for a four-banger???).[/QUOTE]

Yup. You got that right...
Old 03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Danbury
Kayaker, I like that kayak. Is it an Old Town? Did you buy the roof rack and kayak attachment for your RDX?
I think it was a Necky. Not really sure though as it was a rental. The photo is from Moose Island, off the coast of Acadia National Park (Maine) where we did a 3 day trip last fall. My boat (touring) is a Carolina Perception 13.5 Airalite.

Did not buy the roof rack as I'm hoping the Yakima Hull Raisers I used with my RAV4 will work with the RDX roof rack. I'm picking my RDX up tomorrow night and if the weather cooperates, I'm hoping to throw my boat on the roof and do a little paddling on Sunday
Old 03-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nj kayaker
I'm picking my RDX up tomorrow night and if the weather cooperates, I'm hoping to throw my boat on the roof and do a little paddling on Sunday
NJ, I can't believe you're going kayaking this weekend during the deep freeze. Now that's what I call an avid kayaker! I don't even think about putting my feet in the water until May/June. Our lakes in NE are still frozen and the streams have lots of ice. Enjoy your RDX but don't get wet.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Advanced

The service manager at my local dealership last weekend divulged what I had expected: the Acura RDX has been sales dud and corporate was taken totally by surprise. I don't know why, its pricing (loaded out) is nearly that of a base MDX. And the critics have been panning its horrendous gas mileage, which is shocking considering the engine size. I was really amped up in anticipating its arrival, but when I went in to see it for the first time I couldn't get over the Hyundai-like front end.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrjoshua
The service manager at my local dealership last weekend divulged what I had expected: the Acura RDX has been sales dud and corporate was taken totally by surprise. I don't know why, its pricing (loaded out) is nearly that of a base MDX. And the critics have been panning its horrendous gas mileage, which is shocking considering the engine size. I was really amped up in anticipating its arrival, but when I went in to see it for the first time I couldn't get over the Hyundai-like front end.
Not to mention the sales people have totally turned against the RDX. When I heard of the great deals available on it, I looked into trading my TSX for one. Before I even test drove it, the salesperson was telling me it was a "horrible" vehicle, and specifically complained about the turbo whine and rough ride. He was right. The MDX, however, is really nice!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:14 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Your salesperson was / is a tool and nothing more than a salesperson trying to get you to spend more money.... it worked (on you).
Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Originally Posted by micvog
Not to mention the sales people have totally turned against the RDX. When I heard of the great deals available on it, I looked into trading my TSX for one. Before I even test drove it, the salesperson was telling me it was a "horrible" vehicle, and specifically complained about the turbo whine and rough ride. He was right. The MDX, however, is really nice!

Your salesperson is a tool and nothing more than a salesperson trying to get you to spend more money. It worked (on you).

The ride is wonderful. Not too firm, not to soft. The turbo sounds like angels singing.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by micvog
Before I even test drove it, the salesperson was telling me it was a "horrible" vehicle, and specifically complained about the turbo whine and rough ride. He was right.
Hey - be careful. That's purely your opinion. Personally, I think the MDX is way too gushy. I find the RDX is very comfortable and fun to drive. Rather than writing it off, if people actually would take the time to test drive one, I think we'd have a LOT more buyers (granted, clearly not you). I had my heart set on one when it was in the concept stages - but I wasn't completely sold until I actually drove one. I was flabbergasted by how much better it drove/rode/felt than I even expected - and I've driven a lot of cars.

Mike
Old 03-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My sales drone was more positive about the RDX, but was clearly trying to skew me towards the MDX. When I said that the RDX handled way better he tried to ridicule my opinion, but clearly the MDX drives "absolutely incredibly for a really heavy SUV" [note the qualification] whereas the RDX drives more like a sports sedan. I was really impressed about how well the MDX handled, but it clearly showed its weight when you wanted to push it - the RDX rarely showed its weight...
Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by catnippants
Hey - be careful.
You're right... I didn't catch this was in the RDX forums, and in any event, I should have phrased the post differently. My apologies.