Acceleration Lag…Turbo or Throttle By Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acceleration Lag…Turbo or Throttle By Wire?

While not usually a major problem, I do experience some acceleration lag in my RDX. Like shooting a gun, I’ve learned that it is better to squeeze the accelerator, then to push it quickly. Today, I noticed a lag, big time. I was making a left turn and when the light turned red, I pushed the accelerator, and nothing happen, I sat at the intersection for several seconds going nowhere! After a period of seconds acceleration kicked in, but not after a very stressful several seconds.

Is this a turbo lag or an issue with Acura’s new “throttle by wire” electronics?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turboted
While not usually a major problem, I do experience some acceleration lag in my RDX. Like shooting a gun, I’ve learned that it is better to squeeze the accelerator, then to push it quickly. Today, I noticed a lag, big time. I was making a left turn and when the light turned red, I pushed the accelerator, and nothing happen, I sat at the intersection for several seconds going nowhere! After a period of seconds acceleration kicked in, but not after a very stressful several seconds.

Is this a turbo lag or an issue with Acura’s new “throttle by wire” electronics?
Yes there is turbo lag in the Rdx as with any other turbo vehicle. But in my experience, I believe that the lag is very minor in this car if you know how to work it. Of course the worst lag is when your not moving and then u slam the gas, the car will slowly lug forward then come alive. But once the car is moving, I find that the lag is very very minor once you give it some gas, the turbo kicks in almost right away.

You say that nothing happened for "several" seconds while going through that intersection. I know exactly what your talking about because this has happened to myself as well but I think you may have over exaggerated the several seconds part. Several seconds as in 1...2...3...? There is no way the lag is that long. At most its maybe a second of lag then ACCELERATION. Unless your giving it very little gas then the turbo will not do much. In situations like this, I give it half-3/4 throttle and maybe after a second of lag the car just takes off. If you floor it while turning, once turbo kicks in, you'll have traction control kick in from wheelspin

So yeah there is turbo lag but very minor and I'm not too familiar with Acura's throttle by wire so I won't comment on that but it may be a combination of both.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Instructor

had the same thing a few times. I've also found the same thing happens at speed - going like 40km and flooring the gas causes the car to do basically nothing in terms of acceleration for a short pause, while easing into it gets immediate results.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Instructor

this seems normal for turbo...at least in my a4 1.8t, it's the same...if i floor it the lag is horrible...but if i ease into it it's okay... but the problem is your first reaction when you really need to go is to floor it.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Instructor

I had an RDX loaner all day yesterday. The turbo lag is very evident. But once the turbo spools up, look out, this thing moves!

I really enjoyed the drive, but it is a difficult task to ask a 4 cylinder engine to be quick off the line in an SUV. This engine would be perfect for the next gen TSX.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Racer

SEVERAL seconds? I see lag, but usually less than a second.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
If you hit the accelerator hard and there is no response, that's the drive-by-wire at fault. If you get a response but it is slow initially and then all of a sudden picks up, that's the turbo lag. From the sound of it, you experienced throttle lag and not turbo lag.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Was it really "several seconds", or just that it seemed like that? I do know that downshifting first will help bigtime.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

I've noticed this a couple times when trying to burst out of a turn (from a slow rolling turn at a red light). It's a pretty noticeable lag, but I think it's the engine/transmission in general, not the turbo. I need to try the same move in manual mode to see if it's just the automatic being stuck in second. I don't see the same lag at cruising speed or on the freeway.

On a side note, a lot of press mentions turbo lag in the RDX. I think that's a misunderstanding of how the VTEC engine works. The turbo isn't lagging; it's just a low torque engine that doesn't do much below 3500 rpm. If you keep your rpm's up and the gas on, there is no lag. I'm finding it's taking me a little while to learn how best to drive the RDX in manual mode and in automatic with the paddles. Not a bad thing, but I'm aware it's taking me a little while to learn the sweet spots.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have encountered this a few times too. It is not consistant at all - but a at few 'intersection left turns' - I experience the what seems like a several second delay. It was at least 2 seconds and it seems like longer when a car is coming at you.

This does not happen each time and is not the normal turbo lag that it has (and that normal lag is quite minor)

It scares the hell out of me and is the only thing I hate. It has happened about 3 or 4 times. Could the A/C cause it or contribute? I hope not. It is hot here!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Racer

I have never experienced a 2 second delay in acceleration. Occasionally there may be a 0.2 second delay, but never any more than that and I can always minimize the delay by just pressing harder on the gas pedal. If your 2 second delay is true and not a gross exaggeration, then definitely take the car back to the dealer to get it fixed.

I have heard of Mazda turbos experiencing excessive delays, but Mazda was reportedly able to fix that with new throttle software.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Meat Popsicle

I would assume that when you are describing this you actully did not have "nothing" happen, rather the vehicle accelerated like a 4 cyl engine before the rpm hit 2K and the turbo began to blow. If the throttle did not respond at all, then I would visit the dealer.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Downshifting is the key if moving. If sitting still yes a minor lag as turbo spools up but the car is still accelerating and then bam your gone. I have quite a few left and right turns at lights and never experience any serious lag. The vehicle still accelerates albeit much faster when the turbo spools up as the revs climb. A split second is more like it and if you are experiencing more you might want to get it checked out.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsherules911
Yes there is turbo lag in the Rdx as with any other turbo vehicle. But in my experience, I believe that the lag is very minor in this car if you know how to work it. Of course the worst lag is when your not moving and then u slam the gas, the car will slowly lug forward then come alive. But once the car is moving, I find that the lag is very very minor once you give it some gas, the turbo kicks in almost right away.

You say that nothing happened for "several" seconds while going through that intersection. I know exactly what your talking about because this has happened to myself as well but I think you may have over exaggerated the several seconds part. Several seconds as in 1...2...3...? There is no way the lag is that long. At most its maybe a second of lag then ACCELERATION. Unless your giving it very little gas then the turbo will not do much. In situations like this, I give it half-3/4 throttle and maybe after a second of lag the car just takes off. If you floor it while turning, once turbo kicks in, you'll have traction control kick in from wheelspin

So yeah there is turbo lag but very minor and I'm not too familiar with Acura's throttle by wire so I won't comment on that but it may be a combination of both.
Thanks for feedback. While I'm sure it may have been nore like 2-3 seconds, it that situation it felt like several seconds. Even after "lugging" through the intersection, it took a while for the accelorator to kick in.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Thanks for feedback. While I'm sure it may have been nore like 2-3 seconds, it that situation it felt like several seconds. Even after "lugging" through the intersection, it took a while for the accelorator to kick in.
Next time seriously just floor the pedal and watch out for that wheelspin
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Racer

There is absolutely no way that it was 2 seconds. If it was, then I would be in the dealership quoting lemon laws.

In actuality, I'll wager it was probably less than half a second, which can seem like an eternity when you've pressed the gas to get out of an intersection.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Photographer

its kinda hard to believe him now lol
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it may be the throttle-by-wire and not turbo lag. I experience the exact same effect with my TSX. At times, its pretty annoying. Turbo lag is almost a nonfactor in the RDX, or at least that was my impression when I test drove it.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Fishbulb - there IS absolutely a way. 2 seconds... No exaggeration. (Do you even know what a lemon law is?) It does not apply...yet.

Again, it is not the normal fraction of a second delay. This is a delay where NOTHING happens. A delay like you have a 1 cyl. engine for about 2 seconds, then an 8 banger kicks in...
This is not a rolling delay, but from a dead stop. It is not every time. It HAS happened just a few times, but enough to scare you. I will take her to the dealer for a looksee.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by darth62
I think it may be the throttle-by-wire and not turbo lag. I experience the exact same effect with my TSX. At times, its pretty annoying. Turbo lag is almost a nonfactor in the RDX, or at least that was my impression when I test drove it.
From my experience with my old 2003 SAAB 9-3 sports sedan with it's turbocharged 2.0L engine, there is definitely some noticeable turbo lag, even when SAAB claimed it has all but eliminated the dreaded turbo lag with the small light pressure turbo. Especially when trying to sprint off from rest, the turbo took about 0.5 sec to 1 sec to spool up...

I also noticed it a little lag in the RDX... especially at 1200 rpm-1500 rpm...

But this I think is acceptable... IMHO, "zero lag" is a dream that current technology will not be able to achieve 100%... But I think what they have got with the RDX is pretty darn good already... The old turbo technology was much worse, and can be rather hairy when depending on it to spool up at an instant where you absolutely needed the boost to pass a car in a tight situation, e.g....

The WRX is a good example of where the turbo really take some time to spool up... typically, you only begin to feel the spool up at 2,500 rpm - 3,000 rpm.

SAAB 9-3 is now using a turbocharged 3.0L V6, and this certainly helps to make turbo lag feel not that bad... the V6 providing some significant low end torque and the turbo supplementing it when it spools up...
Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 PM
7th Gear

believer

i'm a new RDX owner and i notice an unnerving throttle lag. is there any kind of adjustment or sensitivity or software update?

does anyone know if the hondata flash affects the throttle response?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fadeoutmystar
i'm a new RDX owner and i notice an unnerving throttle lag. is there any kind of adjustment or sensitivity or software update?

does anyone know if the hondata flash affects the throttle response?
Nature of a single turbo engine... the turbo has to spool and this can take time...

One way some cars overcome this is twin-turbocharging... like the BMW 335i.

Reflashing the ECU with some software mod will not really help. It is the hardware (turbo) that is the issue, not software...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Intermediate

I've never experienced significant turbo lab in my RDX. All Acuras have minimal low-end torque so you're not going to be burning out unless the revs are really up there.

I've experience some lag (shifting + turbo), but that's usually when I floor it while merging onto the freeway. I don't mind because the RDX picks up speed rapidly.

Honda/Acura has been using throttle by wire for a while now and I don't think there's any issue with it. My Accord V6 had it and it was very responsive when I floored it.

I think one of the best turbo engine is in the new A4 2.0T. It pulls hard right off the line and there's practically no lag at all.

The worst throttle lag was in an Audi A4 3.2. I floored it while merging onto the freeway during a test drive and it took ~1.5 seconds for it to downshift and start accelerating. I thought the car coming up behind me was going to nail me. I took the next exit off the freeway, told the salesperson that I hated the car, and drove right back to the Audi dealership. Apparently there was a "problem" in the brand new A4 because I don't see how any company could try to sell a car like that--it was dangerous.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Cruisin'

Try replacing the stock filter with the K&N.

I was, and am, truly amazed how I feel like I'm driving a new car now with the filter. I'm no fanboi, only a satisfied skeptic. The lag I used to experience is gone, and the response generally smooth. The K&N is thinner material, and looks like it would promote more airflow. i have to trust that it won't harm the engine. It was 50$ well spent, and easy to install.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:52 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by PdxRdx
Try replacing the stock filter with the K&N.

I was, and am, truly amazed how I feel like I'm driving a new car now with the filter. I'm no fanboi, only a satisfied skeptic. The lag I used to experience is gone, and the response generally smooth. The K&N is thinner material, and looks like it would promote more airflow. i have to trust that it won't harm the engine. It was 50$ well spent, and easy to install.

i may have to give that a shot. you just get the drop-in?

anyone try a short-arm cold air intake and notice if it helped the acceleration lag?

i just think it's so wierd, because i didn't have this in my
cr-v, and that was pretty much the same four-banger minus the turbo. i feel like the low end should be comperable to that at least. even when i make sure i start the RDX in first there's that delay.

And i have to agree with markmass on the audi/VW 2.0T... i drove an A3 with one and it's just ready to go from the instant you hit the accelerator.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fadeoutmystar
i may have to give that a shot. you just get the drop-in?

anyone try a short-arm cold air intake and notice if it helped the acceleration lag?

i just think it's so wierd, because i didn't have this in my
cr-v, and that was pretty much the same four-banger minus the turbo. i feel like the low end should be comperable to that at least. even when i make sure i start the RDX in first there's that delay.

And i have to agree with markmass on the audi/VW 2.0T... i drove an A3 with one and it's just ready to go from the instant you hit the accelerator.
KN filters might have in making a difference in response of a car, but I don't think it will be night and day. sometimes it works against what you expect it to be... A CAI is what you really want, if true responsiveness is what you want...

I used a KN filter in my old 2003 SAAB 9-3 2.0t, and the turbocharged engine did not really benefit from it at all. In fact, it made it not as responsive as before. Some times too much air in may not be good for the engine, especially if the air is not adequately cooled.
Also, for some reason, it may be that particular KN filter I used, some oil managed to get into the mass airflow sensor, and messed up the sensor... I had to remove the KN filter, put my OEM filter back in, run it on the freeway for a while and blow off the oil accumulated in it... thank God it was okay after that... I am not saying that every KN filter will be like that... just be aware...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM
XIS
Lizard King

I have not experienced the issue I had in 2007 since I changed to a K&N. I am not sure if that is the answer or not??
Also - it did only happen on very hot days (around 110) sitting at a light for an extended wait with the A/C on.... I am glad that it doesn't happen any more!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mav238
KN filters might have in making a difference in response of a car, but I don't think it will be night and day. sometimes it works against what you expect it to be... A CAI is what you really want, if true responsiveness is what you want...

I used a KN filter in my old 2003 SAAB 9-3 2.0t, and the turbocharged engine did not really benefit from it at all. In fact, it made it not as responsive as before. Some times too much air in may not be good for the engine, especially if the air is not adequately cooled.
Also, for some reason, it may be that particular KN filter I used, some oil managed to get into the mass airflow sensor, and messed up the sensor... I had to remove the KN filter, put my OEM filter back in, run it on the freeway for a while and blow off the oil accumulated in it... thank God it was okay after that... I am not saying that every KN filter will be like that... just be aware...

But IMHO, the RDX turbo is not bad, I always find it to be very responsive in the mid range... of course, from standing start, there is some lag... but this is a turbo, lag during standing starts is always going to be there, just how much. And the latter is related to the design of the turbo.

Getting more air in is not the solution, that is equated to more power... what you want is the turbo spooling fast, from the standing start. Unless you completely change the turbo in the RDX, and use a high performance aftermarket ECU software that works in perfect harmony with the turbo, lag to a certain extent will always be there... You can always supercharged the engine, but that would not be a RDX right...
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mav238

You can always supercharged the engine, but that would not be a RDX right...
*imagining that right now....* pure GENIUS! hahah

i wonder what the logistics would involve...
Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

I have the K&N intake oem fit filter and i recently experience the lagg about a week ago. And yes it happens only on left turns but not every time. I have to floor it and let go and step on it again in order for me to get out of the lag. My car just recently reach 45k. Anyone know a fix for this?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
how much is your wheel turned and how hard are you accelerating? could be vsa...im just tossing it out there...
Old 10-28-2009, 03:40 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
...or a heat soaked intercooler?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
id just like to say that if some of you are talking about SECONDS in delay...that, at least to me, is a different issue than turbo lag....only reason being is that, there is some lag in the RDX, but its never been reported as being horrific (07 cx-7s had a FEW ECU tunes to solve unsafe lag)..so my only guess is that something else is going on, or else alot of us would be on notice of such a glaring issue...it could be throttle by wire, or it could be entirely something else/problematic.

i wouldnt brush it off either...take it in....you may uncover something
Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thom978
I have the K&N intake oem fit filter and i recently experience the lagg about a week ago. And yes it happens only on left turns but not every time. I have to floor it and let go and step on it again in order for me to get out of the lag. My car just recently reach 45k. Anyone know a fix for this?
This was exactly what I felt with my old 2003 SAAB 9-3 2.0t... I put back into the intake a brand new factory air filter and got back the factory tuned engine response.

Some times these KN filters oem fit filters actually deteriorate the performance...

Honestly, the RDX intake and air filter is pretty well tuned for optimal performance already, and in order to see a real difference in response, switch to a cold air intake, that sucks air in from the bottom, and the intake tube is heat-shielded; pretty much a customized job.
Like I said before, the turbo spooling efficiency is the other factor...
Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Instructor

These days there are, can be, a number of causes for firmware controlled engine delay/hesitation.

Number ONE is probably the infamous "RE-ACCELERATION" downshift delay/hesitation of up to 2 seconds. lift the gas pedal for a brief period of coastdown, the transaxle upshifts accordingly, now re-apply gas pedal pressure for acceleration and you will sometimes experience a delay of 1-2 seconds until the downshift can be fully completed.

This is a function of "real-time" control of ATF line pressure. In the days of yore line pressure was always kept at a fairly high level, even making use of a pressure "tank" accumulator.

No more.

During that coastdown the engine RPM dropped to idle and now the ATF gear type pump has minimum flow and cannot sustain enough pressure for the downshift closely following an upshift. So DBW is used to delay the onset of engine rising torque, regardless of gas pedal pressure, until that downshift is completed.

Moderate or hard acceleration while turning, tightly turning.

You're driving a FWD or F/awd vehicle, remember...??

Asking the front tires' contact patch to support HIGH drive torque along with extreme lateral torque is NEVER a good idea, not to mention the level of torque stear. So, some stability control systems will PRE-EMPTIVELY dethrottle the engine in the above circumstance. I find that if you QUICKLY lift the gas pedal and then re-apply to a lessor level the recovery is fairly quick.

On the other hand if you persist with "WOT" the dethrottling effect will be prolonged.

It is also possible that TC might have a play here. In a tight turn the outer wheel will be rotating at a higher rate vs the inner one, at high throttle setting the TC firmware may be more sensitively tuned and see this rotational desparaty as the onset of wheelspin/slip. TC will then dethrottle the engine and moderately brake that outside wheel.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I've experienced the hesitation and delay as the other members are describing, but only rarely. However, that rarely is usually when I really need a power boost. I was leery of buying a turbo, but Acura did a good job with the RDX. That said, I would not consider another turbo in the future.