About to buy a 2010 RDX from Acura dealer. Should I pay for an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 06:21 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a 2010 RDX from Acura dealer. Should I pay for an extended warranty?

Just looked at this today. 2010 RDX with Tech. 82k miles, one owner, no accidents, $11k. Sales guy said I would be offered to buy an extended warranty for three years, probably for about $1200 (he was a little vague). I called him later and asked if he could email a copy of a blank warranty (so I could look carefully at exclusions) but he said he couldn't. Test drive went great, car looks great except the interior lights don't work (visor mirror, interior front and interior middle). He said their service people said it's not light bulbs (he actually asked them if it was just light bulbs!), but probably the harness (I will research/post that in a separate area). Oh, and the sales guy said the tires were a little old, they will put on new tires on Monday, which is apparently a very $700 nice thing to do.

Has anyone else bought the extended warranty, from an Acura dealer, on an out-of-warranty Acura? I assume it will just be a drive-train warranty. Anyone with experience--would that cover a new turbocharger, torque, trannny, a/c clutch?

I am taking it to my mechanic (who owns three Hondas and is a Honda fan) on Monday who will take a long look at it and a test drive. I'm guessing there's no way my mechanic can take a look it at say yes, X (turbocharger, torque, trannny, a/c clutch) will go soon... so I am considering the extended warranty. I've been burned with the three used Subarus I owned (tranny, a/c compressor), so I am doing my best to get a more reliable car with the RDX. Yes, I know there are no guarantees with a used car, but I'm trying to cover my bases as best I can. If I get it, I will do "recommended maintenance" based on whatever I know hasn't been done (hopefully that won't be a lot).
Old 01-04-2020, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
The turbo seems to be pretty reliable as I don't recall reading about any widespread failures. Of course, in general, the car will not be new, so some things are bound to break. But when you buy a used car, make sure you can cover some repair costs as well. I personally would not get the extended warranty as it seems expensive at nearly 10% of the price of the car. If you do decided to buy it, I would make sure you figure out exactly what they cover and don't cover, and whether it's an Acura warranty or a third party warranty.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Having just purchased an 09 RDX a few months back with 160k, the things I would look out for:

1. Wastegate actuator, the bolt ovals out and stops closing all the way, many threads about fixing. On my 09 it is in really good shape so either it was replaced, or on the later models this issue is less prevalent.
2. Power steering leaks, again, more prevalent on earlier model years, but something that seems to be a more common issue.
3. AC compressor and or compressor clutch. My RDX had tons of dealer service records and the clutch went out at around 90k
4. Mirror actuators. Play around with the mirrors and try to save memory positioning. The actuators go bad a lot and the mirrors never remember their positioning, I currently have a driver side that failed and point to they sky everytime you unlock the car.
5. Rear struts, for some reason I found Acura rear struts seem to go bad much quicker than the fronts.
6. Lastly I would just suggest looking at the transmission fluid. I believe the 5 speeds in this car are pretty solid, but I would definitely keep up with the fluid changes. I did a drain and fill on mine right after buying and found it 1.5qts low. Being it was changed regularly, I'm assuming it just wasn't filled enough but something to keep an eye on.

Overall I I really think that these are very solid cars as long as you keep up with maintenance I think these will easily go 250k without much trouble.
The following users liked this post:
ranger29 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Qualified Observer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TLSonLSD
Overall I I really think that these are very solid cars as long as you keep up with maintenance I think these will easily go 250k without much trouble.
That's where I landed as well; you can find them for sale with over 200k on the clock which says to me they built them to last.

Take it through a carwash though and see if any water gets inside the headlamps. I didn't do this and now have one low-beam out; struggling with repair options.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
With 82k miles on the RDX - what is the limit so far as miles on the extended warranty, is there a deductible, time limit from what date?

The finance person should be able to show you in print what is and isn't covered.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts
These cars are very reliable, but as with anything, it's all dependent on maintenance. If you cannot confirm proper maintenance records for this car, the warranty may be worthwhile, but only if it covers such things like the radiator, transmission, etc. Plenty of people change the oil, but on an 10 year old car with under 100k miles, do you know if they did the coolant? Brake fluid? Transmission, power steering, differential (if applicable)? Coolant, transmission and differential fluid changes pop up in the MID, but it's not likely they've been prompted yet at this low of miles. Even so, they should have been done by now - especially the coolant.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:34 PM
CSmoney28

Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
Many things to check for but most listed below also check both blend door acuators...
Old 01-24-2020, 10:29 PM
6th Gear

I bought my 2011 three years ago with about 72,000 miles on it. I thought it was a mistake to have paid for the extended warranty until I needed to replace two motor mounts and a transmission mount (or maybe it was the other way around). As much as I was disappointed with the news that these items needed to be replaced on a car with low miles, I was grateful to have the extended warranty. (There's been a surprisingly long list of repairs since then, too—all after the warranty expired—but that's another story.)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts
What were the symptoms that led to the mount replacements? Definitely not something you see mentioned here often.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:27 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
is this by chance a CPO? My 2012 CPO came with an additional 2 yrs.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear

I bought a 2010 SH-AWD last week with 121K miles for $7500. Previously owned a 2007 TL Base (sold with 192K on it) and never had anything more than routine maintenance, so am hopeful that the brand excellence will continue. Upon inspection the RDX too had the interior lights not working and found a blown fuse in the primary fuse box; replacement fixed it. However it also had a low beam out and after much exploration by repair shop found it was a bad ballast. Further review finds this as a result of moisture in the headlight assembly, which I am seeing in the other side.
I opted to not take the car dealers' offer of a warranty based upon the quality of my TL. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

My wife's 2010 RDX SH-AWD Tech is going strong at +150K miles. Only failure parts replaced so far are AC compressor and power steering pump. Other than that, the rest are regular maintenance. The wear and tear items replaced are the foggy/leaking headlights (both sides) and center console/armrest leather. I would say 1st Gen RDX are very reliable as expected from Honda/Acura. We are planning to keep this car pass 200K. With that said, I would skip the warranty offer, especially when it sounds kind of shady. I would rather spend the money on preventive maintenance and taking care of the car like getting it fully detailed.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:15 PM
Qualified Observer

Leaking headlamps you say?!
Old 02-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Nice experiment and glad it worked out for you.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
My 2011 purchased in 2014 CPO had the drive side headlight condensation problem and was replaced under warranty. Now of course the passenger side has the same thing (out of warranty). I even ventured to take off the bumper to get at the headlight and try to seal around the edges. Nothing. Waste of time it seems. I do not know where the leak is, but suffice to say, I think most of them get it. It doesn't seem bad yet as in water collecting in the headlights or anything. I read you can drill a hole in the bottom of the headlight assembly if that happens to drain it. I do not want to spend $800 to replace a headlight. That is for sure.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:12 PM
Qualified Observer

Originally Posted by hues10
I do not want to spend $800 to replace a headlight.
If you see water collecting in there don't ignore it; the ballasts aren't cheap or easy to get to.