A1 Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A1 Service

Hi,

It is time for the A1 service on my RDX 08. Called the dealer - they said it is just an oil change and tire rotation (as expected) and quoted $179.9 for it.

To me it sounds like at least twice, if the not tripled, the price it should cost.

Any suggestion/recommendations?

I am from bay area, CA. So if you have a trusted place I can go to, I would really appreciate the pointer. Thanks!!!!

Alex
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Its an oil change with bunch of inspections which are worthless (yes, I know some people will disagree). Gets yourself the tools and DIY. when I found out that RDX needs synthetic oil every 3-4K miles, I bought myself all the tools I need.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by russianDude
Its an oil change with bunch of inspections which are worthless (yes, I know some people will disagree). Gets yourself the tools and DIY. when I found out that RDX needs synthetic oil every 3-4K miles, I bought myself all the tools I need.

Thanks, dude, but I am not a DIY kinda guy when it comes to cars
Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
try to find a reputable independent mechanic, buy the parts and have him do the labour (shouldn't be more then 20 bucks for the labour) parts depends on where you live.

Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic (not the extended one, jsut the regular) or what I recommend Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.

For filter either honda filter, wix filter (or napa gold), or pure ones will do. Which ever of the 3 are cheap.

Resetting the MID is in the manual.

The only service I take the RDX to the dealership for (just to have an ok relationship with the dealership) is the transmission flush, rear diff and transfer box fluids as they require multiple drains and fills and its a pain doing it on the floor of your garage.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Ukrainian RDX

when I found out that RDX needs synthetic oil every 3-4K miles, I bought myself all the tools I need.
Does RDX really needs oil to be changed so often ? It's monthly for me Some people I know just check the oil physically and simply reset the MID.

PS: Yopta!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Azzie
Does RDX really needs oil to be changed so often ? It's monthly for me Some people I know just check the oil physically and simply reset the MID.

PS: Yopta!

It mostly depends on your driving style, if you drive mostly highway I think you can get 5-6K out of it, I do mixed driving (highway & city), and the oil service indicator comes up like every 3500-4200 miles. I know it sucks considering its synthetic oil.
On BMW its 10K miles/1 year (using synthetic). But supposedly, because RDX has turbo engine, it requires more frequent oil changes (even with synthetic). I dont know how much of its is true.... but what you gonna do, I don't feel like taking chances and then have some engine problems. The good news its an easy DIY, you don't even need ramps. 5qt Mobil 1 at walmart $22 plus $5 for Honda oil filter, I can do an oil change for under $30 buks in 15 minutes (compated to $90 at the dealer).
So $30 is not a big deal, if I had to pay $90 every 4K miles I'd be pissed!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Also please be mindful that what Acura calls "A-1" Service and your dealer calls "A-1" service are likely different. When I took my RDX in for A-1 the dealer added about $40 of BS additional services. When I got the usual service rating telephone call afterwards, I complained to the phone rep who assured me that someone would get back to me, but of course, no one did and for $40 I am not motivated to pursue it. But next time, I am printing out the applicable service level specs and telling the dealer to follow it to the letter.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by portwashguy
Also please be mindful that what Acura calls "A-1" Service and your dealer calls "A-1" service are likely different. When I took my RDX in for A-1 the dealer added about $40 of BS additional services. When I got the usual service rating telephone call afterwards, I complained to the phone rep who assured me that someone would get back to me, but of course, no one did and for $40 I am not motivated to pursue it. But next time, I am printing out the applicable service level specs and telling the dealer to follow it to the letter.

well, all dealer services includes checks and inspections. I've never done any of them on my 2001 Acura CLS (which I still own), and now my wife's RDX will follow the same philosophy! I only change fluids and filters pretty much (well, obviously brakes and tires when they get worn out).
Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Ukrainian RDX

The best price I figured out here in Kiev is 110$ including oil & filter that's why I'm trying to find out does the RDX really knows how often one should do the service or it's a preprogrammed mechanism. Dunno...
Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Azzie
The best price I figured out here in Kiev is 110$ including oil & filter that's why I'm trying to find out does the RDX really knows how often one should do the service or it's a preprogrammed mechanism. Dunno...
There is a computer that tell you when to change oil. It has a program that looks at your driving style, RPMs and other variables which are not known to us (only by Honda). I think on average you will get between 3500-4500 miles (x1.6 to convert to kilometers). Do oil change yourself, this is the easiest car for self oil change. No need to jack it up, just go under while its parked
Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys for all the replies.
Here is what I eventually did: I went to Jiffy Lube and they performed the oil change (using full synthetic Mobil-1) for $76 in 25 minutes while I was taking my dog out. They also cleaned my windows and carpets.

The best possible value for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by fishmanalex
Thanks guys for all the replies.
Here is what I eventually did: I went to Jiffy Lube and they performed the oil change (using full synthetic Mobil-1) for $76 in 25 minutes while I was taking my dog out. They also cleaned my windows and carpets.

The best possible value for me.
You have made a pact with the Devil. But there is still hope.

Take it to a good independant shop right away.

1. Have the SH-AWD and trans fluid checked for proper color (red) and correct level.
2. Have the engine oil examined and level checked.
3. Have the oil filter checked for proper torque and correct part number.
4. Have the transfer case gear oil examined and checked for proper level.
5. Have all of the service and fill plugs checked for tool damage and proper torque.

Seriously. Do it now.

6. Then read this: Jiffy Lube Problems.com
7. Go forth and sin no more.

Jiffy Lube has a long history of mistakenly draining the transmission fluid, and then pouring 5 more quarts of oil into the engine. Down the road, the 10 quarts starts puking out of the engine while the dry transmission begins to catch fire.

The RDX is particularly susceptible to confusing the trans and oil drains as the face each other about 10" apart, and look similar to the "work-release" Jiffy Lube employee.

I'm sure they did a nice job on your windows though....
Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by XLR8R
You have made a pact with the Devil. But there is still hope.

Take it to a good independant shop right away.

1. Have the SH-AWD and trans fluid checked for proper color (red) and correct level.
2. Have the engine oil examined and level checked.
3. Have the oil filter checked for proper torque and correct part number.
4. Have the transfer case gear oil examined and checked for proper level.
5. Have all of the service and fill plugs checked for tool damage and proper torque.

Seriously. Do it now.

6. Then read this: Jiffy Lube Problems.com
7. Go forth and sin no more.

Jiffy Lube has a long history of mistakenly draining the transmission fluid, and then pouring 5 more quarts of oil into the engine. Down the road, the 10 quarts starts puking out of the engine while the dry transmission begins to catch fire.

The RDX is particularly susceptible to confusing the trans and oil drains as the face each other about 10" apart, and look similar to the "work-release" Jiffy Lube employee.

I'm sure they did a nice job on your windows though....
Oh come on! Jiffy Lube has obviously had their fair share of issues, most notably the systematic efforts to totally ripoff customers by charging for jobs that were never done. But for a regular ol' oil change, I'm going to guess that the instances of improper techniques account for a VERY small percentage of total oil changes, even when newer cars and/or synthetic oil are involved. Also, the RDX is NOT "particularly susceptible to confusing the trans and oil drains", especially considering that the oil drain is marked via an etching right next to the plug.

This is a case of taking anecdotal evidence and drawing general conclusions from it.

Now, HAVING SAID ALL THAT, I will agree with you that the probability of error is greater at Jiffy Lube compared to your average dealer or independent mechanic. Also, I would never let Jiffy Lube do any work on a car other than an oil change. Also, I wouldn't be too surprised if Jiffy Lube didn't actually change the filter, as again, there is good evidence that corporate culture encourages cutting corners. But to imply that there is a good chance of total car failure as a result of a Jiffy Lube oil change is totally overboard!

- DDB
Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Cruisin'

hm, never heard of this. many of my friends are using them and never had any problems.
but good to know. thanks for the warning.
I will report if anything will seem strange on my rdx after the "devil touch".
Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a coupon from my dealer for $29.95 for an oil change but it expires on 6/15. I think I'm at 30% right now so I think it's worth it to get it done a little early. I should take advantage of it rather than paying $80+.

They say they will:
- replace oil
- replace oil filter and drain plug washer with Acura Genuine Parts
- check/adjust fluid levels
- inspect wiper blades
- inspect tires

Wait a minute just read the fine print:
"Maintenance requirements, schedules and prices may vary by model." There's the catch. I don't think the RDX is going to fall under this $29.95 but guess I will find out.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phoward_15
I got a coupon from my dealer for $29.95 for an oil change but it expires on 6/15. I think I'm at 30% right now so I think it's worth it to get it done a little early. I should take advantage of it rather than paying $80+.

They say they will:
- replace oil
- replace oil filter and drain plug washer with Acura Genuine Parts
- check/adjust fluid levels
- inspect wiper blades
- inspect tires

Wait a minute just read the fine print:
"Maintenance requirements, schedules and prices may vary by model." There's the catch. I don't think the RDX is going to fall under this $29.95 but guess I will find out.
I get those coupons all the time. They don't apply. Dealers seem to be gouging RDX owners. Aside from the Mobile 1 oil, the oil change procedure is no different than any other car.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ddb
Oh come on! Jiffy Lube has obviously had their fair share of issues....But for a regular ol' oil change, I'm going to guess that the instances of improper techniques...
As an alternative to guessing, try availing yourself of the thousands of bitter complaints regarding JL mistakes. This is a good page to scan: Jiffy Lube Complaints by State It begins with "Total Engine Death" and runs the gamut from "Evil Company" to "Sabotage" to um, "Gay Offense", as if JL was insuring they had proper diversity in the Poor Customer Service Dept.

However, the greatest body of their service by far, is the
regular ol' oil change
to which you refer and the complaints regarding inexcusable errors -- "no oil", "no oil filter", "wrong oil" -- are shockingly too numerous to count. Many of these ruined engines:

....for about 10 years, I was a loyal Jiffy Lube customer.... Then I had my wife’s 2002 Subaru serviced on 7/5/2007 at the Jiffy lube in Stevenson Ranch, CA. They drained the final drive transmission fluid instead of the motor oil. 120 miles later the car went from 35 mph to a dead stop when all four drive wheels locked. Luckily, the card behind my wife stopped in time. I needed a new final drive transmission and my wife was without transportation....

Boy was I wrong about Jiffy Lube. I found out over the next month their policy regarding service mistakes is one of systematic denial and misdirection. At this point, 26 days later, I don’t have a commitment from Jiffy Lube to pay for the repair, no check in my hand for the $7,500 repair bill, and no rental car.
Originally Posted by ddb
Also, the RDX is NOT "particularly susceptible to confusing the trans and oil drains", especially considering that the oil drain is marked via an etching right next to the plug.
JL trashed a large number of Subarus due to the proximity of trans and oil drains, and it is generally considered that this led to the embossing ID of the oil drain. Still, you are counting on a bullied, low-wage, under-trained, possibly ex-convict to both (A) care enough to look for the marking and (B) know how to read.

What are the chances yours is the first RDX he's ever seen? The engine and trans drains are exactly 7 1/2" apart, facing one another in similar housings. Is a cheap oil change on a $7500 drivetrain a good bet to you?

Originally Posted by ddb
This is a case of taking anecdotal evidence and drawing general conclusions from it.
With their record! How much more evidence do you need?

Originally Posted by ddb
But to imply that there is a good chance of total car failure as a result of a Jiffy Lube oil change is totally overboard!
I'm not implying. I'm stating it. Get that car to a competent shop now.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
ddb
Instructor

I'm not implying. I'm stating it. Get that car to a competent shop now.
Well, I'm not really interested in going through the basics of statistics to show that you are overstating the situation, nor will I go into great detail pointing out that if the situation were as dire as you (and that website) say, then JL would be out of business inside of five minutes.

So, let's just assume that you are right and they f up a very high percentage of routine oil changes. EVEN WITH THIS ASSUMPTION, there is absolutely no need to take the care to a "competent shop" to have the situation inspected. What's to inspect? Is there an oil filter there? Is it leaking? Does the dipstick indicate proper oil level? If the answer to all three question is "yes", then there's no problem. And if you're REALLY concerned, just get the oil changed by somebody else. No need for rigorous inspections on the order that you suggest.

- DDB
Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The good news its an easy DIY, you don't even need ramps. 5qt Mobil 1 at walmart $22 plus $5 for Honda oil filter, I can do an oil change for under $30 buks in 15 minutes (compated to $90 at the dealer).
*SIGH* I need the ramps......I don't seem to get the leverage without them.

Anything wrong with using FRAM filters? They are half the price of the Honda ones.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ddb
Well, I'm not really interested in going through the basics of statistics to show that you are overstating the situation,
Of course....statistics. I've suggested an outcome inconsistent with statistical probability -- and have thusly offended -- a statistician. What are the chances of that? Well, our most recent data snapshot indicates....100%.

Please tell us (statistically, of course) how many people who have suffered a significant loss are comforted by a statistician telling them how unlikely that loss was? Or that, due to the low likelyhood, any effort to intervene and alter the outcome is insignificant?

You have already acknowledged that JL practices "systematic efforts" at deceit and fraud*, and their "corporate culture encourages cutting corners"**.
Yet, you would STILL take your $35K RDX there for an oil change.***

Originally Posted by ddb
What's to inspect? Is there an oil filter there? Is it leaking? Does the dipstick indicate proper oil level? If the answer to all three question is "yes", then there's no problem. - DDB
Right, and the mountain of evidence that they inadvertantly:

A) drain the wrong components,
B) install the wrong oil,
C) leave the previous filter gasket in place,
D) don't change the filter at all,
E) ruin drain threads and pound in a rubber plug,

is to be dismissed if your 3 conditions are met.

*"charging for jobs that were never done".
**"I wouldn't be too surprised if Jiffy Lube didn't actually change the filter"
***"I would never let Jiffy Lube do any work on a car other than an oil change"
Old 06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
ddb
Instructor

I lose the interest to debate when my opponent starts making things up:

Yet, you would STILL take your $35K RDX there for an oil change.
I never said I'd take my RDX there, and the fact that you think I said that means that there's really no point in my writing further, since you lack the skill of reading comprehension.

Thanks for the debate, and to the guy who took his car to Jiffy Lube: it's probably not a great idea to get your oil changed at JL, but the odds are strong that your car is perfectly fine. Still, if you're concerned, just get the oil re-changed by somebody else.

- DDB
Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

Wow that seems really high. I had my A1 done in April. $89 (with a $10 coupon from the dealer). The dealers in Atlanta are really fighting for business so their rates may be a little more competitive.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by atlacura
Wow that seems really high. I had my A1 done in April. $89 (with a $10 coupon from the dealer). The dealers in Atlanta are really fighting for business so their rates may be a little more competitive.
$90 for an oil change is a good deal? LOL.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddb
I lose the interest to debate when my opponent starts making things up:... I never said I'd take my RDX there, and the fact that you think I said that means that there's really no point in my writing further, since you lack the skill of reading comprehension.- DDB
Actually, what you said was "Also, I would never let Jiffy Lube do any work on a car other than an oil change." A reasonable person might assume you were speaking of your RDX and letting JL do an oil change on your RDX. If you weren't speaking of your RDX and a JL oil change, or if you may have been hypothesizing, please clarify.

Besides the fact that XLR8R was once shocked to see G Gordon Liddy in the JL pit under his Bongo, hence the reference to work-release and ex-cons, he cites a substantial amount of rags about Jiffy Lube. He's not posting to irritate anyone or as an opponent, he's doing it as an RDX brother. Take it for its worth.

That being said, I have actually driven my RDX (and 2 TLs, an Element, a V6 Accord 6-spd coupe, etc) over those JL pits. I never walked my dog, I didn't sit in the wait room, I gave them my oil and filter, told them exactly what I wanted them to do, how to do it, watched to make sure they did it, and made dang sure they didn't touch anything else.

I apologize in advance for skewing the stats.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by BleuM&M
Actually, what you said was "Also, I would never let Jiffy Lube do any work on a car other than an oil change." A reasonable person might assume you were speaking of your RDX and letting JL do an oil change on your RDX. If you weren't speaking of your RDX and a JL oil change, or if you may have been hypothesizing, please clarify.
Well, I actually have taken cars to JL in the past with great success. For the cars I really care about, I do all my own maintenance. For my '97 Subaru, there's not much cost-savings in doing it myself, so I'll take it to JL or the dealer if they have an oil change coupon. As for the wife's RDX, I'll be doing all of our own maintenance and service procedures.

Besides the fact that XLR8R was once shocked to see G Gordon Liddy in the JL pit under his Bongo, hence the reference to work-release and ex-cons, he cites a substantial amount of rags about Jiffy Lube. He's not posting to irritate anyone or as an opponent, he's doing it as an RDX brother. Take it for its worth.
Yeah, but his tone seemed to be intended to initiate panic for the guy who took his RDX to Jiffy Lube. I was trying to provide some balance in claiming that it is highly unlikely that there is actually a problem with his car as a result of the JL service, despite websites trying to show the contrary. The Internet is very good at allowing a group of people with similar problems to come together, but the downside is that it gives the appearance that problems are a lot more widespread than they really are. There are no websites for people to come together to discuss their positive experiences with JL, even though such experiences constitute the vast majority of JL transactions (else they would certainly be out of business).

Reminds me of another car forum on which I'm active, where we all convinced ourselves that the particular model had a faulty radiator, due to the high level of cited failures. Few of us realized that we were just the vocal minority, the ones who go to online forums to complain about problems. In reality, we had no data to show that the radiator failure in this particular car model was any higher than any other car.

That being said, I have actually driven my RDX (and 2 TLs, an Element, a V6 Accord 6-spd coupe, etc) over those JL pits. I never walked my dog, I didn't sit in the wait room, I gave them my oil and filter, told them exactly what I wanted them to do, how to do it, watched to make sure they did it, and made dang sure they didn't touch anything else.
Uh-oh, better get those cars to an independent mechanic stat!

- DDB
Old 06-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Safety Car

Actually, what you said was "Also, I would never let Jiffy Lube do any work on a car other than an oil change." A reasonable person might assume you were speaking of your RDX...
Exactly, (and this insight from the man who has perfected the triple-inline Tornado, and who leaves Jennifer Anniston weepy and clingy).

DDB, I had helpfully annotated that comment (***) for your benefit. Perhaps you were only referring to your '71 Challenger in original...Plum Crazy, however in the absence of specificity, the generic phrase "a car" implies the inclusion of all cars.

Besides the fact that XLR8R was once shocked to see G Gordon Liddy in the JL pit under his Bongo...
He was posing as a JL employee*, and was actually installing a tracking device. We fixed him though. We reattached it to a Good Humor truck -- I believe two agents are still on the case -- and their BMI has increased considerably.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Safety Car

He was posing as a JL employee*,
* Perhaps this explains the previously cited "Gay Offense", though strangely there are no complaints of pitmen singing "Deutschland Uber Alles".