5 month old RDX service?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008 | 02:43 PM
Intermediate

5 month old RDX service?

I have a 2007 RDX that has just hit the 5 month old mark. Its a non-tech model. The display shows 10% oil life left, the vehicle has about 5,500km on it (wife drives it to work and back, not a huge distance). Should the indicator not be telling me to get a service done and the type of service (e.x A1)? I though that it what it is supposed to do that. Or is it just telling me to get an oil change done and the service comes later? If that is the case, then does getting the oil change done now mean another oil change with the service in the very near future?

Looking in the manual (downloaded from the link in these forums), on P 335 it says that when engine oil life is 15% or less the display will show "SERVICE DUE SOON" along with the maintenance code, and a beeper will sound. I have not seen anything other than a yellow wrench symbol and Oil Life 10% message on in-dash display (no MID as this is a base 2007). Pressing the Info button a few times just cycles through the normal stuff like Trip A, B, fuel economy, etc.

Sorry guys, but since this is the first time the car wants something done I am a little confused here.
Old 02-21-2008 | 03:18 PM
Racer

I was told the maintenance minder looks how far you have driven and makes recommendations accordingly. You just might not have gone far enough to require A1/tire rotation.
Old 02-21-2008 | 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

On the base model, you get the wrench and the percentage remaining. Above the percentage remaining it should show you the code of the upcoming service. A1 A2 A16 B1 B2 whatever. When you reach 5%, the word SERVICE will appear above the code.

The page 335 that you referenced is for the tech package. Page 331 show the base model.

And the percentage tells you when the next service is, not just the oil change. They just happen to be at the same time. The code tells you what is going to be done at the net service.
Old 02-21-2008 | 04:14 PM
Instructor

That's what I understand, relative to the oil change. There is no self-analysis of the engine oil, just the ECU's understanding of how severe the service has been (stop&go vs highway, etc.).

I changed the oil at 3,000 miles, in part because I like to break in my engines with a relatively early oil change. The Maintenance minder showed 50% life still on the engine oil.

My question is more how the Maintenance Minder determines when to have other things done, such as tire rotation. I just passed 7,500 miles, and I've had no maintenance messages, whatsoever.

I may have overlooked it the owners manual, but I haven't seen anything like a maintenance schedule, similar to what I have in my Civic Si.

I feel a little uncomfortable in letting the computer decide when I need to have a specific maintenance done, when my experience has told me to do things like rotate the tires every 6,000 miles.

Can anyone explain the logic of the RDX maintenance program?
Old 02-22-2008 | 09:45 AM
haole kama'a-ina

The Maintenance Minder's primary purpose is to insure that engine oil changes are done on schedule.

Honda does not want to annoy owners by having them come in separately for the less frequent services, so the sub-services (the numbered items) are timed to occur along with an oil change. There is a safe zone built into the sub-service intervals to acccomodate the principle objective of changing the engine oil.

For instance, the rear differential fluid change (sub-item 6) is meant to be done every 15000 miles. If the car is driven Prius-like and oil changes are averaging 7000 miles, then the rear diff will come up on the second oil change at 14000 miles even though that is a little early. Conversely, if the car is driven harder and oil changes are averaging 5500 miles, the rear diff may not come up until the third oil change at 16500 miles, even though that is a little late.

Originally Posted by john50
I changed the oil at 3,000 miles, in part because I like to break in my engines with a relatively early oil change. The Maintenance minder showed 50% life still on the engine oil.

My question is more how the Maintenance Minder determines when to have other things done, such as tire rotation. I just passed 7,500 miles, and I've had no maintenance messages, whatsoever.
Resetting the Maintenance Minder well ahead of schedule (at 3000 miles) tends to skew it's calculations a bit. It doesn't know if you rotated the tires or not. It will probably default to a tire rotation sub-item on the next oil change (because it won't do sub-items independantly). If the Maint Minder was reset at 3000 miles, it will likely go to about 8500/9000 miles for the next service.

You could rotate your tires now, or just wait for the next service, and get them back on schedule. Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2008 | 07:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sasair
On the base model, you get the wrench and the percentage remaining. Above the percentage remaining it should show you the code of the upcoming service. A1 A2 A16 B1 B2 whatever. When you reach 5%, the word SERVICE will appear above the code.

The page 335 that you referenced is for the tech package. Page 331 show the base model.

And the percentage tells you when the next service is, not just the oil change. They just happen to be at the same time. The code tells you what is going to be done at the net service.
Well, its reached 5% now, still no SERVICE message displaying.
Old 03-05-2008 | 04:25 PM
07 PWP RDX all day!

This is a good thread ,I have 11,200 miles and I haven't done a full serive on the car ,just regular oil changes due to the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light never came up on my dash,im I doing this ok? Or I should go to the dealer and find out was going on? ,why is it that everytime a change gears from park to drive ,it takes like a good 2 or 3 seconds to be on Drive , and u hear a kick in noise,does that mean I have a bad transmition? Or something? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-08-2008 | 09:14 AM
4th Gear

I've recently switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil on my 3K service. My oil meter is now reading 40% @ 5300 miles. I thought synthetic oil was supposed to prolong my next service oil change to like 10K mile or am I wrong?
Old 03-31-2008 | 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Well, its now a month later, and FINALLY, with 6500km on it the RDX is now indicating "Service A" ... its a non-tech, so maybe it doesnt say A1, A2, etc.
Anyway, I contacted my Acura dealership for an appointment. $108 bucks (canadian) for a fricking OIL CHANGE?!?!? Synthetic blah blah was all he could say. Umm, OK, but Mobil-1 synth would cost me all of $30 bucks maybe. Really thinking about doing it myself ... is it easy to get under this darn car? Seems high enough clearance I think ...
Old 03-31-2008 | 02:21 PM
big shot.

funny i just read this thread, on a trip out of the office this morning, i got the ding, with the Service Due Soon, orange wrench & the 'A', and then the screen defaulted to show me my oil status, which was at 15 %. i had just turned 4k miles. base 2008.
Old 03-31-2008 | 03:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
funny i just read this thread, on a trip out of the office this morning, i got the ding, with the Service Due Soon, orange wrench & the 'A', and then the screen defaulted to show me my oil status, which was at 15 %. i had just turned 4k miles. base 2008.
yeah, I'm at 7500km, had the car for about a year and a half, and have now had an A1 and B1 service, A1 kicked in about as early as yours.

Scratching my head a bit because we had a POS before and it went years between servicing because we drove it about as hard as this car.
Old 03-31-2008 | 03:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zuzzu
Well, its now a month later, and FINALLY, with 6500km on it the RDX is now indicating "Service A" ... its a non-tech, so maybe it doesnt say A1, A2, etc.
Anyway, I contacted my Acura dealership for an appointment. $108 bucks (canadian) for a fricking OIL CHANGE?!?!? Synthetic blah blah was all he could say. Umm, OK, but Mobil-1 synth would cost me all of $30 bucks maybe. Really thinking about doing it myself ... is it easy to get under this darn car? Seems high enough clearance I think ...
If it makes you feel any better (it won't), I was charged 330 plus tax for a B1 service.
Old 04-04-2008 | 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Can the services be cross shopped between dealers? Much like when buying a car?
Old 04-04-2008 | 07:31 PM
Intermediate

Erm, has anyone had success doing that? Cross-shopping dealership for car serivce?