2010 rdx and 2010 q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the 2010 RDX last Nov-Dec. Love it. Drove the Q-5. It's a better car. I don't care what people say on this forum because I actually priced on. Comparably equipped, it's ~$15,000 more than a loaded RDX, which you can buy for $36k. So it's $50k+. Now you might get a lot of this back when you sell it in 3-4 years. I refuse to pay window sticker for any car. Eventually the demand slows and the prices start to decline. Remember the PT Cruiser? I definately want all my electronics to work all the time and for a long time. For $36k a loaded RDX is a bargain that you will never be sad you bought or leased.

Last edited by greyghost04; 03-11-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
my thing is this: if Honda put a v6 in a CRV (or comparable powertrain - doesnt have to be a turbo) i dont see any reason why or how the RDX is more expensive, likewise for the TSX vs the accord (which has an even greater disparity for v6 models) or maybe even the TL. yea the RDX is a GREAT BARGAIN among its competition, but its really not in a sense a competitor either. The RDX is no Q5, but the RDX represents a very reasonable alternative to it, which is great. Alot of opinions talk like the extra money for the audi is unwarranted or goes no where - that is simply not the case at all. its the come on of Acura that throws tons of equipment at you basically saying 'look, we give you all this stuff that you have to pay for in other car!' which does work, obviously, but that doesnt mean all things remain equal.

The real jumps are and will always be the MDX and RL. I consider my RDX a beefed up CRV, and i have no problem with that. The RDX, i think, justifies its price increase against the CRV, i just cant say the same about the v6 TSX at all...a base TL isnt too bad tho, a 40k+ TL acura needs shock therapy
Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

what about the RL? :P (just kidding mike - let's not even start right?)... at any rate, i do find the tsx overpriced - esp since it's "just" a european accord (ok im sure ill be raising hell with this statement). i dont like the styling of the TL either. so im left with? if only the TSX came with the SH-AWD -- yeah keep dreaming...

Originally Posted by MMike1981
my thing is this: if Honda put a v6 in a CRV (or comparable powertrain - doesnt have to be a turbo) i dont see any reason why or how the RDX is more expensive, likewise for the TSX vs the accord (which has an even greater disparity for v6 models) or maybe even the TL. yea the RDX is a GREAT BARGAIN among its competition, but its really not in a sense a competitor either. The RDX is no Q5, but the RDX represents a very reasonable alternative to it, which is great. Alot of opinions talk like the extra money for the audi is unwarranted or goes no where - that is simply not the case at all. its the come on of Acura that throws tons of equipment at you basically saying 'look, we give you all this stuff that you have to pay for in other car!' which does work, obviously, but that doesnt mean all things remain equal.

The real jumps are and will always be the MDX and RL. I consider my RDX a beefed up CRV, and i have no problem with that. The RDX, i think, justifies its price increase against the CRV, i just cant say the same about the v6 TSX at all...a base TL isnt too bad tho, a 40k+ TL acura needs shock therapy
Old 03-14-2010, 06:27 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corduroygt
Well Mike in all honesty the RDX has more parts to rattle than your 95 accord, so it may not be an accurate comparison.
You would think if Lexus can do it so can Acura. I think this is where Honda failed. They really want Acura to be like the Lexus of Toyota. For the most part they "had" the products to pull it off. They just couldn't pull everything together year after year. The folks at Acura are really lost. One generation they have really good looking cars. The next, it makes you wonder what happened? Then the next you wondered what happened to quality? Right now, they have neither. You take away reliability from Acura other brands like Audi and BMW look more attractive.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
big shot.

Acura is kind of like Nintendo .... always reliable, always hanging around, and almost always out-shined by the competition except for a few gems...right now...acura doesnt have any Mario's up their sleeve and hasnt in a while. I really thought, when they released the first RDX, Acura was finally getting involved, performance wise, looks wise, getting aggressive, keeping the price competitive, but what they have done is uhhhh at the very least questionable and i think they have lost their core audience...which like Cfoo said -- makes the competitors just that much more attractive, all of a sudden spending 5k+ more on a like model seems alot more possible imo, or just moving into a lex or infiniti if reliability is the predominant buying criteria, because right now i dont see many other things influencing an Acura purchase.

man am i happy i still have my 08 RDX, more than ever
Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Originally Posted by MMike1981
Acura is kind of like Nintendo .... always reliable, always hanging around, and almost always out-shined by the competition except for a few gems...right now...acura doesnt have any Mario's up their sleeve and hasnt in a while.
LOL that's a perfect analogy.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:25 PM
big shot.

btw - finally got into a ZDX. Advanced pkg, black on black, sport runners, chrome optional rims - thing looks like the bat mobile. Its got a mega stance in person. The pictures really dont convey its real life foot print. It looks like even more of a brawler than the X6. The best angles are from the rear or a rear 3/4 view. The front is ho-hum boring. Saw one, in silver as well. Dont like it at all in silver and the stock rims are terrible. The wheel gap is rediculous w/o the bigger optional chromies. Car looks good in dark colors.

The interior wasnt as impressive as i would have thought; the leather all around is definitely nice, and overall the ZDX is a scale above other acuras. BUT, the SEATS, and the leather for the seats, as well as the cushioning is reeedddiiicccculousss. Man, if only theyd use whatever they are using in the other models, i mean, why not? they were like perfectly worked and adjustable sofas yet sporty and curved just right. They felt wonderful. I was truly amazed by the soft feel yet great support. I know they use some sort of higher quality leather...but thats the impression i left with. Right off the bat, the front seats were WOW.

Other than that, the back seats should be left vacant by those 8yrs old and older, and its a jungle gym to get out of or into the rear. 60k for advanced...mayyybe...good alternative to the X6? definitely, altho again...i thought the interior was really going to wow me - but i feel like what acura has done inside the ZDX they have just now matched what has been available in other brands for years...so great for Acura but it felt more common vs wow. Big step up in quality, has def matched the level of other competitors, surpassed it? no...can you get the same type of quality in a 45-55 k Audi? definitely. Have i ever felt as cushy or luxurious in an Acura before? Def not, so good job for them.

The model i saw/sat in was def impressive inside and out - black on black its got quite a stance.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Instructor

X6? I hate BMW for their crappy electrical but I would get an X6 for sure.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Final Conclusion

Yo all there. HI, IM NEW to this forum.and here are some of my advises:
Performance wise, handling wise, German cars usually win. Don't give me your bullshit about specific models and your personal feelings, I'm talking about in general.

But as a car buyer just like you, i also take many other things into consideration and price is one major factor along w/ reliability.

After so many years of driving and stuff, let me tell you something thats dead truth:

If you are looking for social status, head turns, power and handling, go w/ the Germans-and BMW all the way.

If you are looking for something can hit the ground and go everyday without bringing you any troubles in most of the weather, conviences, comfort, go w/ the japnnese.

If you can not still decide, ask yourself this:
Are you planning to own this vehicle for more than 4-5 years? If you are not super rich and wanna keep ur vehicle more than that, I suggest u to go wit the japanese. Im not talking abt a specific model and don't come back and tell me that you own a bimmer or audi for 100000 miles and never had a problem. Compare your case to Honda or Toyota you will be ashamed. So it's completely your call. And seriously? Q5 does look nice, but RDX to me ain't bad either (front end certainly can be improved though) LOL, performance wise, 0-60 in abt 6.4 sec aint bad. Rearview camera comes standard as well as bunch of other stuff that Q5 doesn't. I love the Xeone lights. Acura should really get rid of the huge key and add 300 on the MSPR for a push start. Who cares abt 300 when buying a 35K car after all.

And idk if you are getting the SH-AWD, but if you are not, dude, wuts the point of getting a SUV w/ a FWD??? I have a 35K budget and I would rather take the AWD over the tech package. LOL, plus its SH-AWD, even better!! Hope you can get a nice deal!!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Advanced

+1 based on what ive experienced, so far. however, im perfectly fine with a key. actually prefer it over keyless. i dont really care for a push start. auto headlights? i dont mind not having it but it came with my 2010 model. i actually like to own japanese for reliability. honda's engine seem bulletproof and acura is the only "luxury" i can find that suits my needs. rdx has the "stock"turbo which no other model has (honda or acura alike). i might even get another rdx next year as our 2nd car as i seem not to be able to find another decent alternative for my own needs.

Originally Posted by Cyathea Moon
Performance wise, handling wise, German cars usually win. Don't give me your bullshit about specific models and your personal feelings, I'm talking about in general.

But as a car buyer just like you, i also take many other things into consideration and price is one major factor along w/ reliability.

After so many years of driving and stuff, let me tell you something thats dead truth:

If you are looking for social status, head turns, power and handling, go w/ the Germans-and BMW all the way.

If you are looking for something can hit the ground and go everyday without bringing you any troubles in most of the weather, conviences, comfort, go w/ the japnnese.

Are you planning to own this vehicle for more than 4-5 years? If you are not super rich and wanna keep ur vehicle more than that, I suggest u to go wit the japanese. Im not talking abt a specific model and don't come back and tell me that you own a bimmer or audi for 100000 miles and never had a problem. Compare your case to Honda or Toyota you will be ashamed. So it's completely your call. And seriously? Q5 does look nice, but RDX to me ain't bad either (front end certainly can be improved though) LOL, performance wise, 0-60 in abt 6.4 sec aint bad. Rearview camera comes standard as well as bunch of other stuff that Q5 doesn't. I love the Xeone lights. Acura should really get rid of the huge key and add 300 on the MSPR for a push start. Who cares abt 300 when buying a 35K car after all.

And idk if you are getting the SH-AWD, but if you are not, dude, wuts the point of getting a SUV w/ a FWD??? I have a 35K budget and I would rather take the AWD over the tech package. LOL, plus its SH-AWD, even better!! Hope you can get a nice deal!!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Advanced

addendum: i dont care for toyota or lexus (have had bad luck on these vehicles). nissan/infiniti? maybe... so im left with acura/honda. in my book, reliability is VERY impt.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by Cyathea Moon

hi and welcome captain obvious!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes - appreciate the info and the quick education, Captain Moon. I had no idea...

Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I like the Q5. I would get it over the RDX if not for the reliability issues common with Audi and the price difference.

I have to say though I prefer Audi's quattro AWD to Acura's SH-AWD. I find quattro much better in the snow than the sh-awd. In other respects though they are pretty similar.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM
XIS
Lizard King

I like the Cayenne Turbo... I would get it over the RDX if it were not for the price difference....

Blah Blah Blah, etc.

UGH
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by sj993
I like the Q5. I would get it over the RDX if not for the reliability issues common with Audi and the price difference.

I have to say though I prefer Audi's quattro AWD to Acura's SH-AWD. I find quattro much better in the snow than the sh-awd. In other respects though they are pretty similar.
You should check this video then...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidkaqlW9ns
Skip to 1:50 if you want to see Quattro in action.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by XIS
I like the Cayenne Turbo... I would get it over the RDX if it were not for the price difference....

Blah Blah Blah, etc.

UGH
Well, if Motor Trend can compare a $42K Nissan to a $65k Porsche, why not?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
You should check this video then...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidkaqlW9ns
Skip to 1:50 if you want to see Quattro in action.
lol yeah, it isn't perfect by any means. I'm sure if I had the same tires on my RDX that I do on the audi it would be much better in the snow.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sj993
lol yeah, it isn't perfect by any means. I'm sure if I had the same tires on my RDX that I do on the audi it would be much better in the snow.
Subarus can always do the split mu hill climbs, too.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Racer

Yes I know. I almost bought a WRX before I got the tsx.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
The audi has better looks compared to the 2010 RDX and its better for showing off. The RDX is more practical and reliable.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Audi has a history of not so great transmissions (as so honda but corrected after 2001).
Getting an audi is you spending about 6-8000 more.
meanwhile the rdx is pretty much loaded.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM
7th Gear

CP3117
I have tested both the RDX and Tiguan. A comparable equiped Tiguan costs about the same for a base RDX. The RDX engine is by far greater than the Tiguan, better exceleration, less noise, RDX wins hands down. You get a better bang for your dollar with an RDX
Old 05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nyjumpman23
Audi has a history of not so great transmissions (as so honda but corrected after 2001).
Getting an audi is you spending about 6-8000 more.
meanwhile the rdx is pretty much loaded.
Honda transmissions were not corrected until 2005. :-) true story! I swear
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
even though a lot of ppl complain about Honda transmissions, my 2003 TL is still strong going after 150km np.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 PM
big shot.

its not a complaint, many if not most were/are faulty and shit the bed south of 30k and were eventually recalled (im not sure if it was an actual recall or TSB). I owned 2 V6 Accords '01, and 2 V6 Accords '03, 1 V6 Accord Coupe in 2004 - ALL SLIPPED. dumped all of them early. every single one of them. I received the recall notice RIGHT AFTER i traded the 04, go figure. Their auto trannys were complete slush. Some were worse than others, but all exhibited manners inconsistent w/such low mileage. one particular was terrible where the TQ converter would completely lock up, no joke, and not fun at all.

Last edited by MMike1981; 05-24-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Had a 2001 MDX for almost 6 years and never had any tranny issues ever...
Old 05-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Instructor

MDX probably has a better tranny. Different ratios? Better fluid cooling? My buddy's 1gen TL would lock up in the middle of the road-- he got lucky no one hit him in the rear. )))
Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dima1978
MDX probably has a better tranny. Different ratios? Better fluid cooling? My buddy's 1gen TL would lock up in the middle of the road-- he got lucky no one hit him in the rear. )))
1st gen TL had the old 4 speed, along with the 1999 2nd gen TL. I had a 1999 TL--I was disappointed when the 2000's got the new five speed, but happy when I heard about all the issues.

I put about 65000 on the TL and never had an issue with the tranny. (The fucking dash rattles, on the other hand...)