2010 RDX - 2007 owner's perspective

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 RDX - 2007 owner's perspective

Got a loaner 2010 over the weekend (they had to order parts--I'm getting new rotors).

What I noticed:

The ride: is even softer than the 2008 if my butt calipers are correct. Comfy, but it rolls a bit in fast transitions now. Probably a good trade for 99.99% of the owners.

The kit: I have a tech, the loaner is non-tech. The bluetooth streams stereo now. It has auto headlights. It has mem seats and power passenger seat. The non ELS stereo is fine for mp3's. It has the usb thingy--pointless if you have a phone with a memory card and stereo bluetooth.

The interior: basically the same. The trim around the shifter is darker. I have taupe, the loaner is black. I bought taupe for practical reasons (I live in Dallas--supposed to be 100 today). I though I would like the looks of the black better than I actually do. I kinda want my taupe back. I really wanted black for looks when I bought my 2007--glad I didn't now.

The exterior: Hmm. Silver is a good color for the 2010--It tones down the beak and the chrome foglight trim. The rear fascia is garbage. It is so fake I expected it to say Revell somewhere on it. I like the more integrated exhaust outlets. The wheels are growing on me somehow. They are more "techno macho" than the smoother older wheels. Silver probably tones them down, too.

Overall: I don't think I would go for the tech in the 2010. the navigation, ELS, and voice commands are not worth the price differential to me. The non tech has the things I would want and use--bluetooth with streaming, mem seats, etc.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agree with you on most fronts as i have a silver 2010 non-tech. however, in canadaland, black interior works better for me. i didnt realize that pre-2010 models had an even "harsher" ride? yikes! (im fine with the current ride but could be better, of course - harsh ride is the least of my concerns having driven in third world countries where MB's with moon like craters on the road make the acura feel like an MB here in Canada ).

what im surprised about is that my fuel pump is prolly screwed (have started to hear low whistling sounds in idle - soft still as i have to open my door/window in garage to hear this) and intermittent stutter at high speeds (>60 mph, 2x in last 2 days) already - will observe the next few weeks to see if it needs to be replaced. also, car does seem to not be "tightly made/fitted" relative to other hondas/audi/mb despite having travelled only 2500-3000 miles. - i guess im over my acura rdx honeymoon period . then again, toronto roads arent exceptionally well paved LOL. your rotors are shot already? im too jaded to believe that honda has lost a bit in this aspect but at least it prolly is still better than other vehicles reliability wise

Last edited by stoxxsp500; 06-21-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stoxxsp500
agree with you on most fronts as i have a silver 2010 non-tech. however, in canadaland, black interior works better for me. i didnt realize that pre-2010 models had an even "harsher" ride? yikes! (im fine with the current ride but could be better, of course - harsh ride is the least of my concerns having driven in third world countries where MB's with moon like craters on the road make the acura feel like an MB here in Canada ).

what im surprised about is that my fuel pump is prolly screwed (have started to hear low whistling sounds in idle - soft still as i have to open my door/window in garage to hear this) and intermittent stutter at high speeds (>60 mph, 2x in last 2 days) already - will observe the next few weeks to see if it needs to be replaced. also, car does seem to not be "tightly made/fitted" relative to other hondas/audi/mb despite having travelled only 2500-3000 miles. - i guess im over my acura rdx honeymoon period . then again, toronto roads arent exceptionally well paved LOL. your rotors are shot already? im too jaded to believe that honda has lost a bit in this aspect but at least it prolly is still better than other vehicles reliability wise
I have never had rotors make it to 50k on any car I have ever owned. I guess I am tough on brakes.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I don't like the beak for the 10 RDX, it seems a little over powering compared to the MDX or TSX. The fog light housing with the plastic mesh and the unpainted rear fascia turned me off also.

I think they made the exterior styling for the 10 RDX more appealing to a wider range of folks.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the 2010 flew under the radar in terms of any noticable improvements. The silver trim inside is now like a titanium tint, and that is IT. The fan buttons on the dash got moved around.

Biggest add on is the rear view cam built into the rear view mirror on the base model. Having that as part of the base model makes the Tech pkg look even more rediculous.

The brakes, although acura reporting an improved braking system, felt absolutely identical in grabbing power and pedal travel.

The engine fan was noticably quieter as I think Acura replaced the old fan - a 2 stage - to the new fan which operates better.

The starter is most certainly different than the 07-08, not sure about 09. 2 very very fast kicks and the engine starts up. The 07-08 has more of a chug/slow effect but ive never had a starting issue.

Overall - if there are any improvements to the 2010 - they are under the hood/body...the design difference is gross and so are the rims (look like low class Honda rims). The brakes, turbo inlet, and new fan are definately pluses but in no way, imo, a reason to buy the thing.

I think the 2010 is much more love it or hate it, and thats hard to be because the 07-09 given the harsh ride and other things was a love it/hate it machine.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMike1981
the 2010 flew under the radar in terms of any noticable improvements. The silver trim inside is now like a titanium tint, and that is IT. The fan buttons on the dash got moved around.

Biggest add on is the rear view cam built into the rear view mirror on the base model. Having that as part of the base model makes the Tech pkg look even more rediculous.

The brakes, although acura reporting an improved braking system, felt absolutely identical in grabbing power and pedal travel.

The engine fan was noticably quieter as I think Acura replaced the old fan - a 2 stage - to the new fan which operates better.

The starter is most certainly different than the 07-08, not sure about 09. 2 very very fast kicks and the engine starts up. The 07-08 has more of a chug/slow effect but ive never had a starting issue.

Overall - if there are any improvements to the 2010 - they are under the hood/body...the design difference is gross and so are the rims (look like low class Honda rims). The brakes, turbo inlet, and new fan are definately pluses but in no way, imo, a reason to buy the thing.

I think the 2010 is much more love it or hate it, and thats hard to be because the 07-09 given the harsh ride and other things was a love it/hate it machine.
I forgot to mention the camera/mirror. Surprised me when I put it into reverse. I didn't notice the fan--the AC runs on recirc pretty much perpetually here this time of year. I didn't notice the starter, either.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Today I got the 2010 RDX Tech as a loaner for my 2008 RDX Tech that started overheating and spewing coolant. Although it's a pain in the ass, I have had 25,000 absolutely trouble-free miles with it, so I guess I'm just hoping that it's nothing that they could claim the warranty doesn't cover.

I agree with everyone who hates the new grille. But there are two things that really have me hating myself for wanting one:

1) Bluetooth streaming audio
I had streaming on the Clarion CX-609 head unit that I put in my previous 2002 TL - it was basically the only source I used. It was the one big letdown in what was otherwise an awesome vehicle upgrade. Of course I am the type of geek that is going to pair his iPhone before I drove the loaner off the lot today, and it was pure pleasure to have my music just "come on".

2) Tire tracks on the backup cam
A few months ago, I drove my friend's new Land Rover LR4 and got serious envy when I saw the tire tracks superimposed on the backup cam. When I got my RDX, in order to get an idea of the perspective, I actually had to do experiments with a friend that consisted of me backing the car toward him until either a) I thought I was close to hitting him, or b) he became afraid that I was going to hit him. The addition of the backup tracks and the distance marks are a huge plus. It also seems that the cam has better perspective and night vision.

This might be completely my imagination, but it seems like the PLII decoding on the 2010 ELS stereo causes less of the volume loss than it does on my 2008. I don't use the PLII on mine because I listen to a lot of drum and bass and it just takes away too much volume, particularly from the sub.

Of course, the way they sold me on the 2008 RDX was to give me one as a two-day loaner for my 2002 TL - in a blizzard. They know exactly what they are doing when they put you in a loaner.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
i agree with you 100%. however i no longer fancy the new acura look and yea the silver makes it better but i don't like silver. i would go with a q5 if i want a 2010 lux crossover now.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Looking back, I wish I had gotten the '08 (or newer) RDX non-tech. I'm not a fan of Acura's new navi system with the giant knob/joystick. I prefer the touch screen input hands down. I'd like to have memory seats, bluetooth and auto headlights still though. ELS stereo isn't a big deal to me probably because I'm not a huge audio buff so I can't really hear the difference anyway. I do wish my subwoofer hit a little harder...but it's a stock one so I don't expect too much.

Does anyone know how the air channel for the intercooler works on the 2010+ RDX? I was surprised to find the plastic channel that routes air directly from the front grille to the TMIC on my '07, but with the new "shield" style grille I don't see where that channel could run.

Last edited by VietNinjaJ30A1; 09-22-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
base model is the way to go since 08, unless u really need an installed nav unit. nothing else about the 3k tech package remotely justifies the price.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I have never had rotors make it to 50k on any car I have ever owned. I guess I am tough on brakes.
Do you do a lot of city driving? I just had my rotors and pads checked and they still have plenty of life on them - and I'm at 51K.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
Looking back, I wish I had gotten the '08 (or newer) RDX non-tech. I'm not a fan of Acura's new navi system with the giant knob/joystick. I prefer the touch screen input hands down. I'd like to have memory seats, bluetooth and auto headlights still though. ELS stereo isn't a big deal to me probably because I'm not a huge audio buff so I can't really hear the difference anyway. I do wish my subwoofer hit a little harder...but it's a stock one so I don't expect too much.

Does anyone know how the air channel for the intercooler works on the 2010+ RDX? I was surprised to find the plastic channel that routes air directly from the front grille to the TMIC on my '07, but with the new "shield" style grille I don't see where that channel could run.
the channel (if i understand the word correctly) runs from the black part of the front grille through some inverted "hood scoop" that's attached inside (eg. underneath the hood) -- that's the best i could describe it on my 2010 rdx
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MMike1981
base model is the way to go since 08, unless u really need an installed nav unit. nothing else about the 3k tech package remotely justifies the price.
+1, just couldnt justify the price for tech. my navigator is my garmin 755W for the moment. and google maps helps a ton too.