2010 Acura RDX - Clicking Noise around Serpantine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 10:47 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Acura RDX - Clicking Noise around Serpantine Belt

Hi everyone, I have a 2010 Acura RDX (K23A1 Engine) with 100k Miles. Over the last 6 months, ive started noticing a noise coming from the engine bay on the passenger side. Other than the noise, the car drives perfectly fine, no issues at all.

-Clicking is only noticeable when I shift from Park to Drive/Reverse. Clicking doesn't happen in Park
-Clicking doesn't increase/decrease with RPM
-Clicking appears to happens only sometimes, and seems to happen only when engine is cold
-Cold start doesn't always create the clicking noise, only sometimes
-When the noise comes, after driving the car around the block, noise goes away
-Noise goes away in Park
-Noise doesn't change when turning wheel, turning Heat/AC on/Off

I've been able to trace the "clicking" noise to the top left passenger side of the engine. Noise seems to be coming from the Top area, where serpentine belt runs. Serpentine belt runs: Power Steering pump, Water Pump, Alternator, AC Compressor (replaced summer 2019), Crank Pulley.

Other than the AC compressor (replaced Summer 2019), all other components are original.

Problem is, once I drive the car, the noise goes away, cant bring to mechanic, when the car isn't making noise.

Any ideas on where to start looking?, or known issues?

Old 02-18-2020, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You provided a lot of good info but unfortunately it's still super hard to help you diag a noise issue without being physically present. Any chance of getting a video of it so I can hear the distinct sound?

-Shane
Old 02-18-2020, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This is true, I had a loud screeching noise that sounds like a belt. But it wasn't it was a bad pulley, it was under warranty so I had an alternator pulley and belt changed haven't heard the screech since.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My noise doesnt seem to be a result of frayed belt, its not screeching, its more clicking.
@WellHellWtvr215 i have been trying to record the noise. Because it doesnt occur every day, and only in drive, so you can imagine it makes recording challenging. My plan is to try to record video, and post to this thread (i dont know if video files are permitted)
Will keep you guys posted, thank you for your support.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraRDX2010
My noise doesnt seem to be a result of frayed belt, its not screeching, its more clicking.
@WellHellWtvr215 i have been trying to record the noise. Because it doesnt occur every day, and only in drive, so you can imagine it makes recording challenging. My plan is to try to record video, and post to this thread (i dont know if video files are permitted)
Will keep you guys posted, thank you for your support.
No big deal at all my friend, as an automotive technician myself I fully understand capturing intermittent issues can be a royal pain. Just wanted you to know someone is paying attention and hope I can help. I'll keep an eye out for your update.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Advanced

In the mean time, granted I know it's already hard enough to capture, but want to put a couple things in your ear. I know you said you're in a single car family, is there any chance of -and I know this would be a pain in the arse- having someone else start the vehicle while you poke your head in the engine bay to try and identify the part in the area in question?

As for your general description in location, there's a couple items that do come to mind that could possibly create your issue: (1) there's an oil control valve that is in between the cam gears on that side, and also (2) there's what's called a spool valve on the rear of the head. Both of these are run by oil pressure and with the information you provided I believe your problem *might* be oil pressure related given you have said that after even a short drive the noise goes away. Do you have access to a code scanner at all? Just want to see if there's any history or pending codes at all stored...

Take a look at this link and specifically item numbers 4 and 6. Do either of these locations seem appropriate?

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2011...e--spool-valve

-Shane