2008 Rdx - First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Wheelin' Dealer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Rdx - First Drive

We have our first 08s on the lot and I just did a 5 mile comparison drive of both an 07 and an 08.

OK, first I need to eat a slice of humble pie and say that the 08 feels no different in terms of suspension stiffness / road noise / vibration than the 07. I was given some incorrect information on that and passed it on as "confirmed" to the AZine community. My apologies for that. There did seem to be a little less turbo noise, but that was the only perceivable difference to me.

The only dissapointment in the 08 IMO is the location / fitment of the seat memory. Rather than the standard acura memory buttons on the hard part of the door panel where it meets the dash, they have placed this memory control more toward the center of the door panel on the soft perforated leather piece. Everything else is the same (except of course for the other CONFIRMED differences)

I will post a couple of pics as soon as possible (maybe this evening)
Old 07-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Pro

Too bad about the suspension IMO. I love the sportiness of the RDX, but wish it was just a bit more refined.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice post as several people are wondering about the handling characteristics between the two years.

Kudos for admitting your error as well...very few people will admit when they're wrong.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced

We noticed last week when we received the 08 RDX brochure where the memory seat buttons were located. It looks like an afterthought, almost as if they never planned on putting memory seats in it at all. We are still waiting to see the 08 MDX brochures and product guides and what changes if any they will make. My guess is that since they added the auto dimming mirror to the RDX that the MDX will get it as well.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VANDY
We noticed last week when we received the 08 RDX brochure where the memory seat buttons were located. It looks like an afterthought, almost as if they never planned on putting memory seats in it at all. We are still waiting to see the 08 MDX brochures and product guides and what changes if any they will make. My guess is that since they added the auto dimming mirror to the RDX that the MDX will get it as well.
Wow...so it sounds like the suspension is no different and the memory seats are a hack job...maybe I need to reconsider the 2007 instead. Hmmm...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jcbridges
We have our first 08s on the lot and I just did a 5 mile comparison drive of both an 07 and an 08.

OK, first I need to eat a slice of humble pie and say that the 08 feels no different in terms of suspension stiffness / road noise / vibration than the 07. I was given some incorrect information on that and passed it on as "confirmed" to the AZine community. My apologies for that. There did seem to be a little less turbo noise, but that was the only perceivable difference to me.

The only dissapointment in the 08 IMO is the location / fitment of the seat memory. Rather than the standard acura memory buttons on the hard part of the door panel where it meets the dash, they have placed this memory control more toward the center of the door panel on the soft perforated leather piece. Everything else is the same (except of course for the other CONFIRMED differences)

Thanks for being up front man. The RDX is a great vehicle but it seems Acura's heart really isn't into trying to make it an even better one. If Polished Metal only ends up a fancy way of saying "anthracite" then I might have to move my schedule up from Feb. and grab an '07 NOW.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Instructor

Thanks for letting us know.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Pics of the Memory button locations?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh-oh it sounds like there might be some competition for '07s now

There still aren't that many on the road where I am (Boston) so hopefully when I go to get one in Oct I won't have a problem. I was debating between the '08 and '07 but I might as well get a great price on the '07 Tech Package with roof rack and trailer hitch.

Thanks for your comments jcbridges. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

Less Turbo Noise!!! I'm glad i have an 07, I love that turbo whistle

William
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Intermediate

JC, how well does the paint on the bumpers match the rest of the car? I have seen several people complain that on many 07's, the bumper paint doesn't match the rest of the car. In looking at several RDX's on the lot I could notice it myself if it was an overcast day...seems to stand out more then. I'd be interested to hear if the 08's look any better.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Patton
JC, how well does the paint on the bumpers match the rest of the car? I have seen several people complain that on many 07's, the bumper paint doesn't match the rest of the car. In looking at several RDX's on the lot I could notice it myself if it was an overcast day...seems to stand out more then. I'd be interested to hear if the 08's look any better.
From what I've seen, this is only an issue with white cars and it isn't just the RDX, it's any white (pearl white) Acura.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Wheelin' Dealer

Originally Posted by black label
From what I've seen, this is only an issue with white cars and it isn't just the RDX, it's any white (pearl white) Acura.
Sort of; The issue is really any car today b/c of the difference in substrate between body panels (metal) and bumpers (urethane). A flex agent has to be added to the paint in order for proper adhesion to take place on the bumpers. If you look closely at any vehicle, you will notice a difference in color between the two surfaces, but it is far more noticeable on Acura white than on darker colors.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey JC, I was just wondering if you received an 08 in the Polished Metal and what does it look like? I am very intrigued by that color and assume it will be similar to Lakeshore and Anthracite.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Wheelin' Dealer

Just Carbon Bronze so far. I will definitely post pics of the Polished Metal when we get one.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JeffS
Hey JC, I was just wondering if you received an 08 in the Polished Metal and what does it look like? I am very intrigued by that color and assume it will be similar to Lakeshore and Anthracite.
Now Lakeshore is a colour I can get behind! At least from photos on the RL forum...never seen one in the wild. Looks a shade or two darker (=sleeker) than Anthracite. Either that or I'm high....
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Wheelin' Dealer

Originally Posted by Boon
Now Lakeshore is a colour I can get behind! At least from photos on the RL forum...never seen one in the wild. Looks a shade or two darker (=sleeker) than Anthracite. Either that or I'm high....
Lakeshore actually has a purple-ish tone to it if that makes any sense at all. We just got a Polished Metal TL in and I will be posting pics of it tonight when I get home (along with the pics of the RDX memory buttons.) It was a bit overcast and I did not use my SLR but hopefully I got some decent pics.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Racer

Lakeshore actually has a purple-ish tone to it if that makes any sense at all. We just got a Polished Metal TL in and I will be posting pics of it tonight when I get home (along with the pics of the RDX memory buttons.) It was a bit overcast and I did not use my SLR but hopefully I got some decent pics.
Haha, maybe that's why I like it. CGP had a cool-ish hue to it too. Any pics would be much appreciated man. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Wheelin' Dealer

Memory Button Pics

Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks really weird.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
The only dissapointment in the 08 IMO is the location / fitment of the seat memory. Rather than the standard acura memory buttons on the hard part of the door panel where it meets the dash, they have placed this memory control more toward the center of the door panel on the soft perforated leather piece.
Hmm. Since the memory seats appear to be an afterthought, I wonder if the '07s can be retro-fitted with a wiring harness and the switches?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks jc. It does look sort of out of place, huh? I looked at your other pics in your Imageshack account, (I have one & know how to do that, hahaha) & the Polished Metal Met. does kinda look like the old Anthricite. Drak grey w/ tinges of a mild purple-ish hue. Not bad, but I like CGP much better!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 PM
B A N N E D

Wow, That looks really out of place, even a little crooked, but thats probably because of the downwardness of that panel. One would expect more from Acura.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Intermediate

I wanted to follow up on this part of jcbridges comments...I was in my wifes Odyssey yesterday and noticed that her memory seat buttons are in the exact same location as the 08 RDX. Point being its maybe not as much of a hack as I thought it was since they have put them in the same place on other vehicles.