2008 RDX- Check Airbag Light, Dealer wants $$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 RDX- Check Airbag Light, Dealer wants $$$

Hi All,
My check airbag light has been on for three days now. I brought it to a dealer today. I had to pay $280.00 for the diagnostic check. They said they found a short under the driver's seat/rug area. They said the entire electrical harness needs to be replaced. They said it would cost $1700! I feel I should eat the $280 and take it to another dealer. Anyone else have this repair before? Should I pay it?
Thanks!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 04:16 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
If it were my car: Most all air bag wiring repairs requires the replacement of the wiring harness at a tremendous cost. Hacking (splicing) away at the old electrical harness can cause problems with resistance or premature air bag explosions, which is why they replace the harness instead of repair. Again, if it were my car, I would attempt the repair myself by removing the drivers seat and getting a schematic of the wiring harness. Then attempt to find the broken wire, keeping in mind that even the minimal electrical charge from your ohm meter can set off the air bag. You might find an independent electrical shop who (not bound by Acura rules) might attempt the repair.

I need to ask why you think the short was found under the drivers seat/rug area? I've only come across this type of problem in flooded or partially flooded cars. With all the hurricanes and floods we have had, could your vehicle have been a flooded/repaired vehicle? This is not a normal problem for Acura. Have you had any other electrical problems with this vehicle? Any smell of musty odor? How long have you owned the car?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashmaster
If it were my car: Most all air bag wiring repairs requires the replacement of the wiring harness at a tremendous cost. Hacking (splicing) away at the old electrical harness can cause problems with resistance or premature air bag explosions, which is why they replace the harness instead of repair. Again, if it were my car, I would attempt the repair myself by removing the drivers seat and getting a schematic of the wiring harness. Then attempt to find the broken wire, keeping in mind that even the minimal electrical charge from your ohm meter can set off the air bag. You might find an independent electrical shop who (not bound by Acura rules) might attempt the repair.

I need to ask why you think the short was found under the drivers seat/rug area? I've only come across this type of problem in flooded or partially flooded cars. With all the hurricanes and floods we have had, could your vehicle have been a flooded/repaired vehicle? This is not a normal problem for Acura. Have you had any other electrical problems with this vehicle? Any smell of musty odor? How long have you owned the car?
Thanks for responding. I live in LA and bought a CPO lease return in 2011 so it's unlikely to have had any flood damage. I never had any electrical problems before. I did take it to another dealer today and the price was the same. I never mentioned the first estimate or what they found. I'm not very handy with auto repairs so this isn't something I would even attempt. My local mechanic said he could do it for less but I don't think I would feel as safe knowing I saved some cash. I'll post a follow up once it's completed. The part will take 10 days to get here.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 211 Posts
Your should be able to find a local Honda shop that does work just as good as a dealer. Just check their reviews to look for any trouble spots. As far as I'm concerned, dealers are great for warranty work, but as soon as that lifeline goes out, find and get to know a reputable independent Honda/Japanese shop.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If your local to Jersey I could help you out