1st Gen RDX ride/feel vs Lexus NX

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:04 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen RDX ride/feel vs Lexus NX

hi all,

first time poster, long time lurker.

im in the market for a new SUV and have narrowed it down to the 2018 Lexus NX and the 2018 RDX Elite. Before you say I’m in the wrong forum, here’s my question: I test drove the 2G RDX and it felt...safe. I’m looking for something with a stiffer suspension and a bit more zip, like the 1G. I test drove the NX twice now, but our weather is absolute crap at the moment and it’s just been non-stop snow and bad traffic and I feel like I can’t quite get the true sense of it’s handling on a nice quiet winding road in the summer.

Anyone out there have a decent amount of driving time under their belt in both the 1G RDX and the NX? Any comparisons you can make for me would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:20 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Is there a big aftermarket support for the NX for engine, brakes, and suspension mods?

A few of us long-term 1st Gen RDX owners can't leave well enough alone and end up doing some aftermarket mods to power, brakes, lighting, tires, and/or suspension. The 07 RDX had the "sportiest" suspension set-up and it got a touch softer every year after that. There are enough aftermarket mods for the 1st Gen RDX to increase the performance envelop for everything except the for the 5AT. What I like about my 08 RDX is the sporty suspension and good old hydraulic power steering because I really get some very good feedback from the road when driving. I feel like I'm part of the RDX instead of being isolated like like I'm just riding in the vehicle like other luxury brands. Unfortunately, what us long-term owners loved about the 1st Gen RDX is what most other folks hated and that is why the 2nd Gen RDX is softer, more isolated driving experience, has a V-6 engine, and slip-n-grip awd. The 1st Gen RDX doesn't feel right on the road unless you are using it as a hammer and everything you see are nails. I imagine the NX and 3rd Gen RDX will have a few more tools in its toolbox compared to only a hammer for the 1st Gen and Gerber multi-tool (does a lot of things OK) for the 2nd Gen RDX.

The 3rd Gen RDX with the all new 2.0L turbo+10AT+sh-awd is suppose to come out with an A-Spec version down the road. No details of what or when; but, it could have a sporty body add ons, A-Spec interior accents and lights, and electronic damper shocks/struts like the sh-sh-awd hybrid MDX. We haven't confirmed if the 3rd Gen RDX Elite/Adv will even have electronic dampers shocks/struts yet.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I was gonna say; the OP might want to wait for the new RDX as it will be more sporty than the 2nd gen RDX
Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
I was gonna say; the OP might want to wait for the new RDX as it will be more sporty than the 2nd gen RDX
That was plan A, but unfortunately circumstances require me to get a new ride right away, not in 6 months. That will probably be next after this lease is up, whatever I choose.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 AM

maybe you can get a beater in the mean time...
it's really not wise to rush a car purchase.
like you said; you have NO clue how the NX drives during warmer dry periods...
Wouldnt you kick yourself in the behind if you went with the "safer" option of the RDX?

plus, every one is different and will have varying degrees of comfort...ie; if they drove the NX and decided it wasn't for them, thus choosing the 2nd gen RDX..

your very best option is to test drive the vehicles for yourself to figure out which car is the right one for you.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 AM
8th Gear

maybe you can get a beater in the mean time...
it's really not wise to rush a car purchase.
like you said; you have NO clue how the NX drives during warmer dry periods...
Wouldnt you kick yourself in the behind if you went with the "safer" option of the RDX?

plus, every one is different and will have varying degrees of comfort...ie; if they drove the NX and decided it wasn't for them, thus choosing the 2nd gen RDX..

your very best option is to test drive the vehicles for yourself to figure out which car is the right one for you.
Just finished trying that option. I had a company vehicle, but recently became self-employed and bought a beater to last me until summer, but it's now sitting dead on my driveway and has cost me more money than I'd like. My occupation is such that I need to keep up appearances for clients to a degree, and a) I can't keep bleeding myself dry of beater money and b) can't look like an absolute disaster if I have to have a client in my car.

So my options are this:

a) Lease the 2018 RDX Elite, upgrade it to the (likely) 2021 3G RDX once my lease is up.
b) Lease the Lexus NX, which seems to be closer in line to what I like in a vehicle (turbo-4, more sport tuned, etc.).

I figure if I'm spending the money, I might as well go with what brings me more joy on a daily basis.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:19 AM

Sounds like you want the NX.
the safer boring RDX is going to be a let down for you.

but again, you need to test drive. test drive, test drive, test drive.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM
8th Gear

Sounds like you want the NX.
the safer boring RDX is going to be a let down for you.

but again, you need to test drive. test drive, test drive, test drive.
I think I do, too. It's still snowy and slippery as hell out here on the Canadian Prairies, but I'm going to take what I think is my final choice for another drive today.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:52 AM
mrgold35

Acura usually has little technical issues with the 1st model years. The 3rd Gen RDX will have:
- a new turbo engine
- 10AT mated to sh-awd
- new frame and body
- brand spanking new tech and dash design not tested long term.

I would lean towards the NX and keep a watch for the 3rd Gen RDX A-Spec or 3rd Gen RDX MMC in 2021. Acura vehicles usually start to get more reliable after the 1st model year and are pretty solid after the MMC.

Last edited by mrgold35; 01-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Acura usually has little technical issues with the 1st model years. The 3rd Gen RDX will have:
- a new turbo engine
- 10AT mated to sh-awd
- new frame and body
- brand spanking new tech and dash design not tested long term.

I would lean towards the NX and keep a watch for the 3rd Gen RDX A-Spec or 3rd Gen RDX MMC in 2021. Acura vehicles usually start to get more reliable after the 1st model year and are pretty solid after the MMC.
Seemed like that was the way Acura used to be. But I believe with the 2G RDX, they did not tweak anything until the MMC. Including the VCM, transmission and suspension issues. Whereas the 1G was tweaked seemingly every year with minor improvements.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
BTW, there is no "Elite" trim for RDX. Only "Advanced."
Old 01-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 898 Likes on 685 Posts
When you mentioned snow I had a feeling you were in Canada, I’m from Edmonton, not sure where you’re from. But if your weather has been anything like it has here then you need to wait till the roads clear and take it on a real drive. The current conditions do not allow for a good drive. My opinion is go get the NX because the 2G RDX is terrible in the handling department. Feels like you’re driving a boat and my understanding is that the NX handles much more tight and offers a lot more features as well in F-sport trim. But I admit to not driving the NX before. Alternatively go take a look at the Jaguar F-pace, gorgeous looks and RWD based so handle very well. They start at like 50K but you can get one with decent options for a bit more keeping in mind the NX goes up to about 60k iirc.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by schen72
He’s in Canada. Our top trim Acura products are labeled “elite” while our top trim Honda products are sometimes called “Advanced”, I understand it is the other way around for you guys in the states.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:54 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX10
When you mentioned snow I had a feeling you were in Canada, I’m from Edmonton, not sure where you’re from. But if your weather has been anything like it has here then you need to wait till the roads clear and take it on a real drive. The current conditions do not allow for a good drive. My opinion is go get the NX because the 2G RDX is terrible in the handling department. Feels like you’re driving a boat and my understanding is that the NX handles much more tight and offers a lot more features as well in F-sport trim. But I admit to not driving the NX before. Alternatively go take a look at the Jaguar F-pace, gorgeous looks and RWD based so handle very well. They start at like 50K but you can get one with decent options for a bit more keeping in mind the NX goes up to about 60k iirc.
Also from Edmonton. Cheers to terrible road conditions - haha.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:54 PM
8th Gear

Sorry, in Canada Elite = Advance.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ydak
Also from Edmonton. Cheers to terrible road conditions - haha.
Haha I had a feeling! When you mentioned summer time driving the first thing that came to mind was groat road! My 2007 RDX chewed up and spit out groat road like it was nothing! My advice is to take the NX onto groat road on a dryer day (hopefully we get some warmer dryer weather soon) and then let us know how it is. But IMO you can’t possibly do worse than the 2G RDX. Cheers to the terrible conditions, but they do make it very fun!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Seemed like that was the way Acura used to be. But I believe with the 2G RDX, they did not tweak anything until the MMC. Including the VCM, transmission and suspension issues. Whereas the 1G was tweaked seemingly every year with minor improvements.
It seemed Acura placed the 13-15 RDX on the back burner until the MMC? I think they were waiting until all other vehicles in the line-up caught up with the newer exterior, LED lights, and beak design. I think Acura also didn't want to steal any thunder away from the TLX or MDX until they established a foot hold. I think Acura was surprised sales jumped compared to the 1st Gen RDX and they were fine with making money for +3 years until the MMC.

F-Pace=pure love!

I'm going to have to compared a used F-Pace S Model or R-Sport compared to a new 3rd Gen RDX Adv/A-spec to see which one give me the most bang for the buck.

Last edited by mrgold35; 01-30-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

It seemed Acura placed the 13-15 RDX on the back burner until the MMC? I think they were waiting until all other vehicles in the line-up caught up with the newer exterior, LED lights, and beak design. I think Acura also didn't want to steal any thunder away from the TLX or MDX until they established a foot hold. I think Acura was surprised sales jumped compared to the 1st Gen RDX and they were fine with making money for +3 years until the MMC.

F-Pace=pure love!

I'm going to have to compared a used F-Pace S Model or R-Sport compared to a new 3rd Gen RDX Adv/A-spec to see which one give me the most bang for the buck.
I am obsessed with the F-pace. I absolutely love the styling and thr fact it comes with a supercharged V6 and RWD based platform is just amazing. My one issue with it though is that reliability might be suspect and also I’ve read on many reviews that the interior materials are somewhat cheap. So I agree, it will really have to depend on what they are going for in a few years for me as well.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, in Canada Elite = Advance.
Ah! Strange that they change the name like that.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Ah! Strange that they change the name like that.
There are also minor feature differences as well in the Canadian 2nd gen RDX. eg we’ve always had a white with black interior option which wasn’t available for a long time in the US.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Is there a big aftermarket support for the NX for engine, brakes, and suspension mods?

A few of us long-term 1st Gen RDX owners can't leave well enough alone and end up doing some aftermarket mods to power, brakes, lighting, tires, and/or suspension. The 07 RDX had the "sportiest" suspension set-up and it got a touch softer every year after that. There are enough aftermarket mods for the 1st Gen RDX to increase the performance envelop for everything except the for the 5AT. What I like about my 08 RDX is the sporty suspension and good old hydraulic power steering because I really get some very good feedback from the road when driving. I feel like I'm part of the RDX instead of being isolated like like I'm just riding in the vehicle like other luxury brands. Unfortunately, what us long-term owners loved about the 1st Gen RDX is what most other folks hated and that is why the 2nd Gen RDX is softer, more isolated driving experience, has a V-6 engine, and slip-n-grip awd. The 1st Gen RDX doesn't feel right on the road unless you are using it as a hammer and everything you see are nails. I imagine the NX and 3rd Gen RDX will have a few more tools in its toolbox compared to only a hammer for the 1st Gen and Gerber multi-tool (does a lot of things OK) for the 2nd Gen RDX.

The 3rd Gen RDX with the all new 2.0L turbo+10AT+sh-awd is suppose to come out with an A-Spec version down the road. No details of what or when; but, it could have a sporty body add ons, A-Spec interior accents and lights, and electronic damper shocks/struts like the sh-sh-awd hybrid MDX. We haven't confirmed if the 3rd Gen RDX Elite/Adv will even have electronic dampers shocks/struts yet.
I’ve read the A-spec will be available at launch this summer. I also have a 2008 RDX which replaced my 1996 Intégra - both bought new. I have it detailed every year and people can’t believe how old it is. I love it for the same reasons you do. If it doesn’t shake your kidneys a little it isn’t a car IMHO :-) A 2020 RDX may be in my future. If I had to pick one right now like the OP, I would go with the NX but the new X3 is beautiful and JD Power puts BMW owner satisfaction above Acura. It’s a new model too but has a lot from the 5 series parts bin.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:58 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by cheffip

I’ve read the A-spec will be available at launch this summer. I also have a 2008 RDX which replaced my 1996 Intégra - both bought new. I have it detailed every year and people can’t believe how old it is. I love it for the same reasons you do. If it doesn’t shake your kidneys a little it isn’t a car IMHO :-) A 2020 RDX may be in my future. If I had to pick one right now like the OP, I would go with the NX but the new X3 is beautiful and JD Power puts BMW owner satisfaction above Acura. It’s a new model too but has a lot from the 5 series parts bin.
I keep my 08 RDX that exact same way and people can't believe how a car almost decade old with almost 150,000 miles looks and runs so good. I'm really wishing the 3rd Gen A-Spec RDX comes with cooled seats, electronically controlled struts/shocks like the sh-sh-awd MDX, and maybe a little more aggressive body mods (I have the front lip and rear diffuser on my 08 RDX and the full A-Spec kit on my 06 TSX).
Old 02-03-2018, 06:37 PM
8th Gear

Popping in to update/close this thread - I was able to test drive the NX again on a semi-dry day (RDX10 will know my pain because theres ANOTHER foot of snow on the ground again) and I pulled the trigger. The drive was just so much more engaging than the 2G RDX, as much as I want to love Acura. The lack of SH-AWD plus the boring drive was the nail in the coffin for me on the 2G, so 2018 NX owner I am. So far, it's great. Counting down the days until summer and giving it a proper test on Groat Road.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Popping in to update/close this thread - I was able to test drive the NX again on a semi-dry day (RDX10 will know my pain because theres ANOTHER foot of snow on the ground again) and I pulled the trigger. The drive was just so much more engaging than the 2G RDX, as much as I want to love Acura. The lack of SH-AWD plus the boring drive was the nail in the coffin for me on the 2G, so 2018 NX owner I am. So far, it's great. Counting down the days until summer and giving it a proper test on Groat Road.
Congratulations man! Post some pics of the new ride (you know, when the weather is not comparable to that of Antarctica!!). What color combo did you go with? I hate to admit it but I love the atomic orange (I think that’s what it is called) color on the NX and that would probably be my pick. This weather absolutely sucks for driving but I can guarantee you that you made the right choice since you’re looking for some decent handling. I despise what Acura did with the 2G RDX and fingers crossed the 3G won’t be like it. Also, for what it’s worth, the AWD system in the NX can at least send 50% of the torque to the rear whereas the RDX can only send 40% and with the terrible weather we’ve had the slightly superior AWD system is much appreciated.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 PM
8th Gear

Congratulations man! Post some pics of the new ride (you know, when the weather is not comparable to that of Antarctica!!). What color combo did you go with? I hate to admit it but I love the atomic orange (I think that’s what it is called) color on the NX and that would probably be my pick. This weather absolutely sucks for driving but I can guarantee you that you made the right choice since you’re looking for some decent handling. I despise what Acura did with the 2G RDX and fingers crossed the 3G won’t be like it. Also, for what it’s worth, the AWD system in the NX can at least send 50% of the torque to the rear whereas the RDX can only send 40% and with the terrible weather we’ve had the slightly superior AWD system is much appreciated.
I'm a purist, so I went with white exterior, black interior. Hoping to add some black rims to finish it off this summer. The weather has been absolutely brutal, but the NX has handled it like a champ thus far! I'll post pics once it's not buried under a foot of snow.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm a purist, so I went with white exterior, black interior. Hoping to add some black rims to finish it off this summer. The weather has been absolutely brutal, but the NX has handled it like a champ thus far! I'll post pics once it's not buried under a foot of snow.
Nice! I like that combo as well. Did you go with the F-sport model? Black rims always looks sweet on a white body, good call! I have no issues driving in this weather, it’s the other drivers that really cause issues for me personally. People throwing themselves in front of me during turns, people stomping on the brakes for literally no reason, it’s just pandemonium with other people on the roads. Looking forward to some pics!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:35 AM
mrgold35

Congrats on the new ride! I'm glad you stayed loyal to the driving experience compared to loyal to a brand. Most of us long-term 1st Gen RDX owners were really trying to figure out our next move if Acura jacked up the 3rd Gen RDX with the same set-up as the 2nd Gen RDX. Hopefully, you get a chance to test drive the 3rd Gen RDX when it hits the road and give us your feedback of NX compared to the RDX.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Congrats on the new ride! I'm glad you stayed loyal to the driving experience compared to loyal to a brand. Most of us long-term 1st Gen RDX owners were really trying to figure out our next move if Acura jacked up the 3rd Gen RDX with the same set-up as the 2nd Gen RDX. Hopefully, you get a chance to test drive the 3rd Gen RDX when it hits the road and give us your feedback of NX compared to the RDX.
Mentally I’m sold on picking up a CPO 3G RDX in 3-4 years hopefully but I’m trying not to get too excited without driving it first and seeing the production model. There is also the Jag F-Pace which I am sure is going to depreciate like a ton of bricks by 3-4 years so we’ll have to see at that time. I’m just very happy to have so many awesome viable choices.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:47 AM
mrgold35

Mentally I’m sold on picking up a CPO 3G RDX in 3-4 years hopefully but I’m trying not to get too excited without driving it first and seeing the production model. There is also the Jag F-Pace which I am sure is going to depreciate like a ton of bricks by 3-4 years so we’ll have to see at that time. I’m just very happy to have so many awesome viable choices.
I'm thinking I will be leaning the same way. I figure an brand new 2019-2021 A-Spec or Adv RDX will will be +$45,000. I purchased my used 11 Adv/Ent MDX back in 2014 for less money compared to a new 2014 RDX awd Tech. The MDX was the cheaper AND better choice for me compared to the new 14 RDX. My top choices in the $45,000 range are:
- new +2020 RDX A-Spec or Adv, new or slightly used 1-2 years down the road IF I can get the right color combo AND aftermarket support comes back
- used +2017 hybrid MDX sh-sh-awd in 2-3 years from now (don't like the 9AT in the reg MDX)
- used +2018 F-Pace S model in 2-3 years from now
Old 02-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm thinking I will be leaning the same way. I figure an brand new 2019-2021 A-Spec or Adv RDX will will be +$45,000. I purchased my used 11 Adv/Ent MDX back in 2014 for less money compared to a new 2014 RDX awd Tech. The MDX was the cheaper AND better choice for me compared to the new 14 RDX. My top choices in the $45,000 range are:
- new +2020 RDX A-Spec or Adv, new or slightly used 1-2 years down the road IF I can get the right color combo AND aftermarket support comes back
- used +2017 hybrid MDX sh-sh-awd in 2-3 years from now (don't like the 9AT in the reg MDX)
- used +2018 F-Pace S model in 2-3 years from now
I really like your list. I wanted to like the 3G MDX more but after being given a 2016 loaner to drive for a few days while my RDX was being repaired I just couldn’t like it. It for sure feels more car-like vs our truck like 2G models, but it also feels big. Like it felt really large and while I did take it on some highway on-ramps and got the tires squealing (rather easily) I just never got that same feel as my 2G. However I do need to keep in mind the sport hybrid has a different transmission and adaptive shocks. My other concern with the sport hybrid is that it can only ever use 68hp in the rear whereas the standard models can send 70% of the power to the rear and I feel that would help rotate the car better.

I have yet to get any seat time in a F-pace but many reviewers seem to note that it can feel a little cheap and it is lacking some more modern luxury touches, however it has a solid drivetrain and the best exhaust note in an SUV. My dream garage consists of a F-Pace and F-Type.

Based on what I seen of the RDX prototype it looks like it will be a good compromise between sport and luxury. It appears to have some really nice quality touches and the technology while not at the cutting edge, is still very very competitive with the best out there. What color choice were you thinking of? Since they have yet to explain interior options (and not holding my breath on a red leather interior option) I am hoping for san-marino red on beige.

A bit of a dark horse third choice for me would be the Alfa Romeo stelvio with that absolutely stunning 2.9TT engine or even the normal 2.0t (0-60 in 5.4s!!!). It is a lot like the F-pace with 50:50 weight distribution, RWD-based, and nice proportions. But that rear end is too bulbous and more importantly reliability will have to be proven....this is very iffy.

Last edited by RDX10; 02-05-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone whos buys an Alfa must enjoy pain and suffering.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Anyone whos buys an Alfa must enjoy pain and suffering.
Yup that’s my largest concern. From what I understand Alfa is trying to improve reliability but not so sure it’s where I would like it to be.