1st Gen RDX Peeking My Interest

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 AM
DANSOLOW

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking 1st Gen RDX Peeking My Interest

Wowzers, its been a while since I have been on the forum! Soooooooo... I am planning in the next month on making a purchase, a family friendly purchase. I was leaning on a truck and Trailblazer SS, but I am a sports car guy at heart. I have ALWAYS been intrigued with the RDX. I know my way around most Honda products inside and out, so I am not particularly worried about maintenance or repairs as 90% of those services\issues I will be able to tackle myself no problem. Now previously up until about 2 years ago I had a 2007 ASM TL-S 6-speed and (regretfully) got rid of it to make financial room for my child. I loved every aspect of that car from factory to being modified. And I always have the itch to tinker with a car... After doing some research on the 1st Gen RDX it seems like they are a fun to drive as far as handling is concerned and too my surprise take well to tunes\upgrades.

Now with increased power I am aware that some parts may decrease in life\durability faster and that's ok, you gotta pay to play right!? I am curious as far a "fun and spunky" daily would go. For some typical tunes and basic bolt on upgrades. What kind of power increases can\do you see from daily drivers and from the gearheads who drive it as a weekend cruiser?

I don't know if I am being vague lol I am just looking for the potential in this car. I don't care about being the fastest. I just want fun, quality and some reliability (lol)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:24 AM
DANSOLOW

ALSO!

For those who knit-pick.
What are some things you absolutely love about your 1st gen?
What things do you think are unique?
Features you like the most?
And what do you hate about the RDX?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:05 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I have an 08 RDX Tech purchased used in 2010 with 30,000 miles and I now have a little under 150,000 miles. It was my main travel vehicle until 2014 when I purchased my MDX and now the RDX is the wife's daily driver and sees weekly commuter duties and weekend errand runs (about 8-10K miles per year now). Maint schedule is pretty much identical to your TL with the addition of having a timing chain, transfer case, and rear diff sh-awd. Most of my maint issues have mostly been related to mileage and time like alternator, shock/struts, battery, coil packs, door actuator, torn arm rest, and replace driver side sun visor.

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:
K/N drop in filter
Hondata Reflash
Hondata Heatshield Gasket
ETS top mount intercooler
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus 35 battery

Suspension Modifications:
Eibach Springs (removed at 110K because of knocking noise from front end)
Progress RSB
First Equipment Quality front/rear sway bar Endlinks
KYB Excel-G rear Shocks
New front OEM struts at 100K

Wheels/Tires Modifications:
RonJon Legacy7 Liquid Graphite 18 inch rims with Conti DWS tires and painted black calipers

Interior/Exterior Modifications:
Interior: Leather shift knob, black OEM all season floor mats, rear cargo net, rear all season black cargo mat, LED interior light kit, LED back-up lights and sport pedals (gas, brake, emergency brake and dead pedal).

Exterior: Osram Xenarc 66240CBI HID D2S Bulbs, Front lip, side molding, roof rack, rear diffuser, sun roof defector, 3M clear bra on front end/side mirrors/headlights, clear bra strip on hatch back, 35% tint on front windows, and hidden trailer hitch.

- Power, fun to drive, sh-awd all weather handling, utility, 360 degree view, upright riding position, wide cabin compared to my TSX, semi compact size for easy parking, center console storage, easy to put 2nd row seats down, flat 2nd row floor, easy/cheap to add a 2" hitch with 4 way wire harness

Dislikes:
- 5AT hurts performance, mpgs are around 17-19 combined, never got above 22 mph on the hwy (speed limit 75-80 mph out here), road noise, can eat tires because of sh-awd, turbo lag (hondata helps), very low tech and minimal luxury touches (buy it for the powertrain and handling mostly), takes fully syn oil and premium fuel,
The following users liked this post:
07TLTYPESex (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:26 AM
DANSOLOW

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I have an 08 RDX Tech purchased used in 2010 with 30,000 miles and I now have a little under 150,000 miles. It was my main travel vehicle until 2014 when I purchased my MDX and now the RDX is the wife's daily driver and sees weekly commuter duties and weekend errand runs (about 8-10K miles per year now). Maint schedule is pretty much identical to your TL with the addition of having a timing chain, transfer case, and rear diff sh-awd. Most of my maint issues have mostly been related to mileage and time like alternator, shock/struts, battery, coil packs, door actuator, torn arm rest, and replace driver side sun visor.

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:
K/N drop in filter
Hondata Reflash
Hondata Heatshield Gasket
ETS top mount intercooler
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus 35 battery

Suspension Modifications:
Eibach Springs (removed at 110K because of knocking noise from front end)
Progress RSB
First Equipment Quality front/rear sway bar Endlinks
KYB Excel-G rear Shocks
New front OEM struts at 100K

Wheels/Tires Modifications:
RonJon Legacy7 Liquid Graphite 18 inch rims with Conti DWS tires and painted black calipers

Interior/Exterior Modifications:
Interior: Leather shift knob, black OEM all season floor mats, rear cargo net, rear all season black cargo mat, LED interior light kit, LED back-up lights and sport pedals (gas, brake, emergency brake and dead pedal).

Exterior: Osram Xenarc 66240CBI HID D2S Bulbs, Front lip, side molding, roof rack, rear diffuser, sun roof defector, 3M clear bra on front end/side mirrors/headlights, clear bra strip on hatch back, 35% tint on front windows, and hidden trailer hitch.

- Power, fun to drive, sh-awd all weather handling, utility, 360 degree view, upright riding position, wide cabin compared to my TSX, semi compact size for easy parking, center console storage, easy to put 2nd row seats down, flat 2nd row floor, easy/cheap to add a 2" hitch with 4 way wire harness

Dislikes:
- 5AT hurts performance, mpgs are around 17-19 combined, never got above 22 mph on the hwy (speed limit 75-80 mph out here), road noise, can eat tires because of sh-awd, turbo lag (hondata helps), very low tech and minimal luxury touches (buy it for the powertrain and handling mostly), takes fully syn oil and premium fuel,
Your response has earned an A++++ lol

Appreciate the in depth response! I have known about the MPGs being kind of weak, but the route I am going right now, the RDX is actually a bump in MPGs to what I am looking at. I sometimes drive a Honda Fit for commuting and having the seats folded down flat is a blessing in disguise! +1 for the RDX.

I do prefer handling over adding more and more power, the more I hear\read that the RDX handles well the more get me more antsy to get one! My TL was the same concept, it was a fun quick car, but it wasn't FAST by any means, but some suspension mods and a good set of tires, it was fantastic to drive! IF I get one, suspension and tires are my first plans.

Are there any lip kits for the RDX? Like Honda HFP or Acura ASPEC? Or are the lips (front side or rear) from other cars\application that fit the RDX?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 912 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally Posted by 07TLTYPESex
ALSO!

For those who knit-pick.
What are some things you absolutely love about your 1st gen?
What things do you think are unique?
Features you like the most?
And what do you hate about the RDX?
I don’t currently own an RDX but I used to and am currently looking for one. Things I loved was that it was quick, handled AMAZINGLY (like a tall hatch and not a crossover), extremely reliable, the BEST HEADLIGHTS I HAVE EVER SEEN; I have driven Audis, Lexus, VW’s, BMW’s, and the MDX and none have had even half as good headlights, Incredibly incredibly great headlights. I loved al the storage, the center console was ENORMOUS, as well the doors have these awesome little bins with closing lids. Another thing I loved was the paddle shifters and the nicely bolstered seats with long bottom cushions (amazing for taller drivers). I also really liked the ELS sound system, I also had ELS sound on my MDX but the system in the RDX was MUCH MUCH better (maybe because of the smaller interior volume). Also 19 mpg was actually good for me as well so fuel economy was a plus for me.

I feel that the door bins, SH-AWD, and sporty interior setup make it very unique, oh and the cargo cover is unique because it is a hard solid cover (it’s not a roller) that you can attach to the tailgate via cables and when you lift the tail gate it rises with the tail gate and if you need to take it down you simply detach the cables and the cargo floor has a cut out that you just put the cargo cover in so it lies flat with the cargo floor.

As for things I hated about the RDX. I hated that it was a bit loud (not super bothersome, but I am personally used to quiet cars), I hated that there was some areas of the car that felt cheap and more like the CRV than a premium vehicle, such as plastic on the pillars vs fabric, hard plastic upper dash, scratch prone plastics on the doors, and worst of all (my pet peeve) is that the glovebox lid is always not aligned properly on any of the 10 RDX’s I have been in. However with that said, there are also some very quality touches like the carpeting all over the cargo area (pay attention to this and you’ll see that on many cheaply built cars they will put a bit of carpet on the bottom of the trunk and nowhere else but the RDX has carpet all the way up the sides). Also on the back seats you have that awesome leather bolstering on the sides near the doors vs leaving an ugly gap. I also hated that they never put automatic headlights until 2010, and no power passenger seat until 2009, and no memory seats/autodimming mirror until 2008 (i.e I hate that they never had those all there in 2007). Lastly the technology in the RDX is fairly comparable to today (i.e bluetooth, navi, backup camera...etc) but it feels archaic if you’ve been in any modern car.

So like mrgold said, you buy the RDX for the drive and not really other things and IMO it really makes uo for it with the way it drives.

Your response has earned an A++++ lol

Appreciate the in depth response! I have known about the MPGs being kind of weak, but the route I am going right now, the RDX is actually a bump in MPGs to what I am looking at. I sometimes drive a Honda Fit for commuting and having the seats folded down flat is a blessing in disguise! +1 for the RDX.

I do prefer handling over adding more and more power, the more I hear\read that the RDX handles well the more get me more antsy to get one! My TL was the same concept, it was a fun quick car, but it wasn't FAST by any means, but some suspension mods and a good set of tires, it was fantastic to drive! IF I get one, suspension and tires are my first plans.

Are there any lip kits for the RDX? Like Honda HFP or Acura ASPEC? Or are the lips (front side or rear) from other cars\application that fit the RDX?
There is an OEM lip/spoiler option. Keep in mind that some colors are no longer available so you might have to have it repainted. I also think I recall someone making a subaru lip work on the RDX. There is also a factory rear diffuser you can install as well as a upgraded factory wheel option and running boards. Keep in mind that the front/rear trim pieces will only work on the 2007-2009 RDX. I assume the running boards would work on 2007-2012 RDX’s because the side did not change during the 2010 refresh.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
I also love the front seats as they are deeply bolstered and have a nice leather smell (the 2G RDX seats are flat and squishy). I also like the feel of the steering wheel. The seats and steering wheel are both surprisingly similar to my S2000. This is an SUV you can really toss around once you get used to it.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 02-04-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 AM
DANSOLOW

Originally Posted by RDX10

I don’t currently own an RDX but I used to and am currently looking for one. Things I loved was that it was quick, handled AMAZINGLY (like a tall hatch and not a crossover), extremely reliable, the BEST HEADLIGHTS I HAVE EVER SEEN; I have driven Audis, Lexus, VW’s, BMW’s, and the MDX and none have had even half as good headlights, Incredibly incredibly great headlights. I loved al the storage, the center console was ENORMOUS, as well the doors have these awesome little bins with closing lids. Another thing I loved was the paddle shifters and the nicely bolstered seats with long bottom cushions (amazing for taller drivers). I also really liked the ELS sound system, I also had ELS sound on my MDX but the system in the RDX was MUCH MUCH better (maybe because of the smaller interior volume). Also 19 mpg was actually good for me as well so fuel economy was a plus for me.

I feel that the door bins, SH-AWD, and sporty interior setup make it very unique, oh and the cargo cover is unique because it is a hard solid cover (it’s not a roller) that you can attach to the tailgate via cables and when you lift the tail gate it rises with the tail gate and if you need to take it down you simply detach the cables and the cargo floor has a cut out that you just put the cargo cover in so it lies flat with the cargo floor.

As for things I hated about the RDX. I hated that it was a bit loud (not super bothersome, but I am personally used to quiet cars), I hated that there was some areas of the car that felt cheap and more like the CRV than a premium vehicle, such as plastic on the pillars vs fabric, hard plastic upper dash, scratch prone plastics on the doors, and worst of all (my pet peeve) is that the glovebox lid is always not aligned properly on any of the 10 RDX’s I have been in. However with that said, there are also some very quality touches like the carpeting all over the cargo area (pay attention to this and you’ll see that on many cheaply built cars they will put a bit of carpet on the bottom of the trunk and nowhere else but the RDX has carpet all the way up the sides). Also on the back seats you have that awesome leather bolstering on the sides near the doors vs leaving an ugly gap. I also hated that they never put automatic headlights until 2010, and no power passenger seat until 2009, and no memory seats/autodimming mirror until 2008 (i.e I hate that they never had those all there in 2007). Lastly the technology in the RDX is fairly comparable to today (i.e bluetooth, navi, backup camera...etc) but it feels archaic if you’ve been in any modern car.

So like mrgold said, you buy the RDX for the drive and not really other things and IMO it really makes uo for it with the way it drives.

There is an OEM lip/spoiler option. Keep in mind that some colors are no longer available so you might have to have it repainted. I also think I recall someone making a subaru lip work on the RDX. There is also a factory rear diffuser you can install as well as a upgraded factory wheel option and running boards. Keep in mind that the front/rear trim pieces will only work on the 2007-2009 RDX. I assume the running boards would work on 2007-2012 RDX’s because the side did not change during the 2010 refresh.

Thanks for your response!

I figured that some colors wouldn't be available. When I was working at Acura, I was always browsing through our parts department system looking for TL parts, and they phased out colors for the ASPEC kit. I figured that they did that with other applications as well -_- . When I had my TL one thing I really like about it was that it too had a fully carpeted trunk, or so I think. And as far as tech goes... As long as it can play music, one way or another, that's really all I care about. I could see the tech changing over time when I owned my TL, but what it was equipped with worked well and didn't bother me being old tech.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:41 AM
DANSOLOW

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I also love the front seats as they are deeply bolstered and have a nice leather smell (the 2G RDX seats are flat and squishy). I also like the feel of the steering wheel. The seats and steering wheel are both surprisingly similar to my S2000. This is an SUV you can really toss around once you get used to it.

This is so on point! For how much I like the next gen RDX just as an all around well built vehicle. I didn't particularly care for the seats, super plan and generic almost. But Bolstered seats that hug make me happy lol
Old 02-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,754 Likes on 6,751 Posts

What's The Deal With Piqued, Peeked, And Peaked? - Everything After Z by Dictionary.com

When do you use piqued?

The word set we’re examining today can send writers into a spiral of uncertainty when it comes to word choice, particularly in the context of one expression: piqued my interest, peaked my interest, or peeked my interest?

The answer is piqued—and here’s why. Pique means “to excite (interest, curiosity, etc.),” as in “The suspenseful movie trailer piqued my curiosity.” The term also means “to affect with sharp irritation and resentment, especially by some wound to pride.” This, of course, is another form of excitement, even if it is undesirable.

07TLTYPESex (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 10:02 AM
DANSOLOW

Angry

damn it.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 245 Likes on 214 Posts
I saw this:

ALSO!
For those who knit-pick.
And knew I wouldn't have to scroll far to find the *nitpicker :lol:

But in all seriousness, I think the 1st gen is a great jack-of-all-trades type car. It has good, usable space, ground clearance, AWD if you want it, longevity, low maintenance costs, comfort, sporty intentions, etc. It can be fun when you want it to be, or relaxed enough to handle your mundane work commute. Of course, we're hitting the time where the vast majority are starting to get up there in years and miles, so if you're looking long term, take your time and find a low mileage, well cared for example.
thoiboi (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,754 Likes on 6,751 Posts
i missed that