1st Gen RDX P0234 Turbo Overboost Problem (Stuck Wastegate)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st Gen RDX P0234 Turbo Overboost Problem (Stuck Wastegate)

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone could help out with this issue.

The car is completely sound otherwise, besides this error code. When giving it gas, the car totally malfunctions. It starts to jerk around, like intermittent acceleration. It's very hard to explain but it's definitely not smooth acceleration. Some research says that it is cutting off fuel to the engine to protect it from over boost, which may damage it. It also throws messages about the AWD-SH system, as well as the emissions.

This P0234 error code is due to an over boost condition caused by a faulty wastegate. The turbocharger and all its components are all tucked behind the engine, and very difficult to access. I was able to get pliers and attempt to push down the rod from the waste gate actuator, and it's rock solid. I was able to get it to move a tiny bit a while ago when I had spent hours removing the intercooler and a bunch of other components. I have no idea whatsoever what to do, as the turbo is barely accessible. I could try to remove it, but would I have to take out the engine? I am not qualified for that. I can't get to it from underneath the car either.

I called a few places specializing in turbos, and they quoted me well over $1500 CAD for a full rebuild. It should be an easy fix to lubricate the wastegate, but the issue is that I have no way of getting to it, or taking the turbo out. I'm not looking to spend much more than $500 to have this dealt with. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for reading!

TLDR: '07 RDX has a P0234 overboost code. Wastegate is stuck. Can't access turbo to fix this issue as it is behind the engine.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts
It sounds like you know what you're doing, but just want to make sure you're not pushing the inlet actuator arm vs the actual wastegate? The inlet is accessible from the passenger side, top of the engine near the firewall. That's a somewhat common pain point, but wouldn't be responsible for the symptoms you're experiencing.

Were you able to examine the wastegate control solenoid and connected tubes?

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...id-36160rwca02
Old 02-07-2024, 08:36 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turns out I was fooling around with the wrong actuator this whole time. One of the solenoids was completely broken and I was positive that it would fix my issue, but it did not. There's two solenoids back there, do you know which one is boost control and which one is wastegate?
Old 02-07-2024, 06:45 PM
DCS
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jtech07
Turns out I was fooling around with the wrong actuator this whole time. One of the solenoids was completely broken and I was positive that it would fix my issue, but it did not. There's two solenoids back there, do you know which one is boost control and which one is wastegate?
What you have labeled as solenoid 1 is the wastegate control solenoid valve, solenoid 2 is the boost control solenoid valve. You also have the bypass control solenoid valve in front of the engine, which also is used to control boost pressure.
Old 06-09-2024, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, took two years off for this job? I would recommend checking the adjustment on the wastegate actuator rod near the turbo, where the famous eyelet that wears out is. If you make it shorter you will have the wastegate opening up less. I've played around with this adjustment, and if you extend the arm boost will come on really strong, and i've thrown a few over boost codes. but this is probably an easy way to make the code go away.