Tokico HP vs. KYB GR-2 vs. Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokico HP vs. KYB GR-2 vs. Bilstein

Has anybody had any experience with the above products? There's been reviews where it was said the GR-2 doesn't work too well with Eibach lowering springs, it's too soft. I also read that all Tokico gives a pretty hard ride and Konis are more money and also a hard ride. I won't have much use for the more expensive adjustable models, this is Calgary and the roads are all straight. KYB is the best deal, (maybe even cheaper than new stock ones) Tokico HP are a little bit more money. Probably will go with Eibach Pro-Kit for a modest lowering where I do not have to buy a rear camber kit. Teins are out of my price range. Do Bilstein make a good perfomance shock?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

bilstein 10000%, tokico HP and kyb GR-2 are no where near the quality of the bilsteins, but the bilsteins are a touring shock. The hp and gr-2 i think are a near-stock if not fully-stock replacement. The bilsteisn will give a great ride, and from the reviews I've heard of the other 2 you mentions, everyone has told me to stay away from the HP and GR-2 so I'd say bilsteins. But i think the KYB AGX is cheaper than bilsteins and adjustable and a great shock in general.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i have Tokico HP's via Eilbach Sportlines and get compliments on a consistent basis from kids with lowered rides on how great my ride is for how low it is. soo far (knock on woodgrain) i have had no problems with my HP's.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I always thought KYB GR-2 were the OEM. KYB supplies acura no?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Racer

I did not know that... thanks for the info.. you gotta wonder when the GR-2 is listed online the same price, or cheaper than the OEM ones.

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
Old 03-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

yea KYB G2-R's are kinda like OEM equipment, so are some bilstein models.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Bagel Bomber

Acura mark up.....

I'm going GR-2, i just want to restore stock ride.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

your dropped??
Old 04-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Bagel Bomber

Originally Posted by 972xghost
your dropped??
I'm not.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Racer

I bought the KYB AGX and an Eibach Pro-Kit; local dealer wanted too much for H&R Sport. Wasn't willing to drop it any more than an inch and a half, to avoid having to buy the rear camber kit. The Bilstein is my pick because they're supposed to be engineered in such a way that performance doesn't degrade at all over time. Only problem is I don't see the Sport one available for this car. I see a Bilstein HD for the '97 Accord only at a big price premium to the AGX. Other thing I found out was my almost worn out tires were responsible for a lot of the harshness over little pavement imperfections.

Acura mark up.....

I'm going GR-2, i just want to restore stock ride.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

agx and prokit is a very smooth ride
i put in neuspeeds to lower it a little more, and i like the look a lot better now, but i miss the comfy prokit...
Old 04-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Racer

Did you have to buy a rear camber kit for the slightly lower Neuspeeds? I could still have the guy get different springs, they won't be put in for another week

Originally Posted by shnee420
agx and prokit is a very smooth ride
i put in neuspeeds to lower it a little more, and i like the look a lot better now, but i miss the comfy prokit...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

well, you dont ever have to..
but i got rear and front camber kits when i put on the prokit.
i bought an ingalls kit for the front and just did the "washer trick" on the back
Old 04-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Racer

Just changed the order and am getting Tokico Illumina instead.. I read a couple of reports of people with my car who say the AGX's went soft after 5,000 miles. I was able to find someone who put Illumina on a 2002 Accord and they said 26,000 miles with no problems, and plus with this product the adjustment knob is at the top of the strut so all I have to do is pop the hood

well, you dont ever have to..
but i got rear and front camber kits when i put on the prokit.
i bought an ingalls kit for the front and just did the "washer trick" on the back
Old 04-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

the agx adjustment is on the top in the front and near the bottom in the rear..
pop the hood for the fronts, lay down behind the wheel for the rears.. really simple
you'll find all sorts of stories from people, some good, some bad.. you shouldn't take a few people's accounts as the general consensus.. some people treat their cars like shit, and some people get defective equipment. others wouldn't know the difference between a blown strut and a good one..
i read up a lot before i bought my shocks, and i decided on the agx after finding that the good/bad ratio was a bit better for the agx than the tokicos
but essentially, i think either is a good choice..
there was one honda forum (not sure which one) that was 99% anti-tokico people because of issues with them blowing early or often.. i don't know the specifics of their issues, but it was enough for me to start leaning towards the agxs.. after much more searching and reading, i went with the agx.
i have no complaints whatsoever.. hopefully you'll be happy with the tokicos, i know a lot of people here are happy with theirs
Old 04-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Racer

Thought this might be of general interest to this forum:

Here are the AGX reviews, I read the ones for this product on 94-97 Accords, also the first one was a CL 3.0:

http://www.carreview.com/cat/parts/s...8_2880crx.aspx

Tokico reviews:

http://www.carreview.com/cat/parts/s...3_2880crx.aspx

Seeing as how the products are at similar price points I don't see how there could a big quality difference between the two.. but it appears that the Koni Yellows might have better longevity, for a lot more money.

I baby the car though..

the agx adjustment is on the top in the front and near the bottom in the rear..
pop the hood for the fronts, lay down behind the wheel for the rears.. really simple
you'll find all sorts of stories from people, some good, some bad.. you shouldn't take a few people's accounts as the general consensus.. some people treat their cars like shit, and some people get defective equipment. others wouldn't know the difference between a blown strut and a good one..
i read up a lot before i bought my shocks, and i decided on the agx after finding that the good/bad ratio was a bit better for the agx than the tokicos
but essentially, i think either is a good choice..
there was one honda forum (not sure which one) that was 99% anti-tokico people because of issues with them blowing early or often.. i don't know the specifics of their issues, but it was enough for me to start leaning towards the agxs.. after much more searching and reading, i went with the agx.
i have no complaints whatsoever.. hopefully you'll be happy with the tokicos, i know a lot of people here are happy with theirs