Banging noise in rear end?? loose suspension parts???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:56 PM
You know him right?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Banging noise in rear end?? loose suspension parts???

Hi, I lowered my car back in May 2002 and I've been noticing a sort of banging/thumping noise coming from the read end. I can hear it whenever my back wheels go over any bump. My mechanic asked me about it suggesting that something might be lose. Has anyone had similar problems?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:51 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the spring is not sitting well...
Old 02-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Cruisin'

my car isnt lowered and i had the same problem. i bottomed out on something int he back and had the mechanics at my work check it out.
i thought it was my suspension clanking but they checked it out and it was fine. they said it mite be my muflers give on when it bounces mite have been affected by the bottoming out and now when the car bounces, the mufler mite be hitting. but its no big deal

i assume if your cars lowered you bottom out lots.
mite be whats going on, donno...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:59 PM
You know him right?

I'm pretty sure its not bottoming out. I still have a decent amount of room, plus it just doesn't seem like that type of noise.

starboy2nv: how could this be the case? this noise wasn't present after i lowered it...it seems to have slowely gotten worse over time. could the spring "bounce" out of position?
Old 02-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Insert Sarcasm Here

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Spring Clapping.

Search for it. You can buy spring tubing to cover the progressive part of the lowering spring to end the noise. It's common.

Thats it, I promise.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:49 AM
You know him right?

Originally Posted by Smalls
Spring Clapping.

Search for it. You can buy spring tubing to cover the progressive part of the lowering spring to end the noise. It's common.

Thats it, I promise.

I looked into to this...very interesting and I will be trying it...

Just wondering why this has become a problem now? Why are the noises are getting worse? Is it because the springs are just "worked in" now?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:57 PM
You know him right?

Question New Question: To Fix Or Not To Fix

I figured its time to re-open this thread...

First off, I put on some of that spring tubing. Bought it from the local honda dealer but it did nothing to fix/better the problem. I go side tracked and usually turned my radio up so I ignored the problem until now....

The noises almost sound like a dying seal or whale. I can reproduce the noises just by pushing on the car near the rear end. I finally took it to the shop that lowered my car 5 years ago and they suggested it might be the upper control arms in the rear. They said the parts are "probably around $300" and then labour on top of that. They haven't actually hoisted the car up yet, supposed to do that tomorrow morning.

My new question is: If it is the upper control arms, do I *HAVE* to get it fixed? I don't really want to spend $400-500 just to fix this noise (even though its annoying). Will driving around with possibly bad control arms and/or bushings affect anything else except my ride quality? I might just hold off until I absolutely need to fix them.