Urgent Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 06:22 AM
Jhatt from Ludhianna

Urgent Help!!!!

HI Guys,

Need your immediate advice, as you can see this post was early in the morning.

The problem MY CAR WOUN"T START".. .this is what is happening. It is like 19deg outside, I came home late last night from Boston in my sienna and had to switch places with my acura. Went out at night and tried cranking the Acura it hesitated a bit as if like the battery was acting up but after a couple of tries it started. I pulled out of the parking slot and moved it on the street. This morning I tried cranking same problem it hesitated I tried again it hesitated and then went kaput....it wont even hesitate any more when I try to crank it all the lights kind of fllicker and i hear a clicking sound but no start.....I thought it was the battery so I bought my sienna which is 2005 with 49Kmiles van and tried jumping the Acura...still the same no hesitation just the clicking noise....

Now What I have is a remote starter which I tried in the morning...but not at night when I was trying to move the car....

any inputs will be welcome before I go to a mechanic and get raped....

Thanks
JFK
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:18 AM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

could possibly be a starter problem. what happened when u tried using the remote start??? clicking sound is usually the starter
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Sounds like starter if it's just clicking, car could be frozen too
Old 01-21-2008 | 12:36 PM
Jhatt from Ludhianna

Thankx 97BlackAckCL... for moving the thread to the right section.... You all could be right it looks like the starter...now that the sun is out and the car coule be a little warmed up under the hood I am going to try cranking it again...or else will be looking to change the starter...any insight on any specific kind that I need to buy.....

young03...when I used my starter it kind of gave a blank cough and tried the secind time with same result and then it juts stopped trying.....

let me check what it will do now with some sun out...

is it common for the starter to do that...is this signs of starter going bad or approaching a change...I mean the car has 200,000 miles on it...

Thankx
JFK
Old 01-21-2008 | 12:50 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

i think it could be your alternator

same thing happened to me when mine died

does your car start up with a jump-start? if so, then remove the positive terminal of your battery while the car is running. if the car dies, then your alternator is toast
Old 01-21-2008 | 12:56 PM
where is....

i think it might be your battery, are you sure you're jumping it correctly? about 80% of people that i see jump a car don't do it correctly.
btw my battery has also died from the cold.
Old 01-21-2008 | 05:07 PM
Jhatt from Ludhianna

holy crap....after all your inputs I am confused as to where should I start..I already spent like 2 hrs to get the starter out....now that the starter is out is there any ways that I can check this....

Well got a new one from Pepboys for $136 after core...installed it and when i went to tighten the positive connection to the starter I kind-of over tighten the nut and it snaped with the whole connection assembly falling apart all my hard work wasted...had to remove the new starter take it back and was lucky to get my money refunded....I have found another place who sell it cheaper $116 and these are the re-manufactured ones that I am talking about...so the moral of the real cold story...car is dead...and cannot take another day off from work so will sit till Saturday and I will have to drive my mother-in-laws car for the rest of the week....I was lucky that she gave me her car to drive or else I would have to shell more money renting.....I drive 52miles each way...so is kind of tough for my wife to drop me.....

These are some questions:

Now that I have my starter dismatlled how can I chcek if it is ok or toast....

I have disconnected the battery....any way I can test this???

How to test the alternator ...

Or else I will have to replace one at a time till the problem is resolved...

Any insight will be helpfull.

Thankx for all your inputs...

JFK
Old 01-28-2008 | 01:18 PM
Jhatt from Ludhianna

OK...fixed....Thankx guys......it was the starter...I replaced it and the car started right up with half a crank.....very tough to get into the tight space and get those 2 dame bolts out.....took it close to 3 hrs to do this......

Aldo hooked up a cold air intake at the same time..... Car run's awasome....

Thankx guys...

Old 01-28-2008 | 02:44 PM
3.2L Vtec

congrats on finding it with a little help from the forum
Old 02-25-2008 | 08:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jfkhan
OK...fixed....Thankx guys......it was the starter...I replaced it and the car started right up with half a crank.....very tough to get into the tight space and get those 2 dame bolts out.....took it close to 3 hrs to do this......

Aldo hooked up a cold air intake at the same time..... Car run's awasome....

Thankx guys...

Haha thats kinda funny sounding.

Yea well I was changing this SOB starter I decided to throw in a Cold Air Intake.

lol

Props to you