Rotor Condition, Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rotor Condition, Please help.

Hello, I'm working on the brakes of my wife's 97 CL 3.0. They are Horrible. I know a lot of things have to eventually be replaced, but I'm working on a prioritized budget (can't get everything at once).

Using the wonderful information here and elswhere, I bled the ABS (directly controlled ABS motor) and the brake lines. Also adjusted the parking brake.

Before changing the brake pads, I wanted to make sure my rotors were usable. I was going to use a palm sander and a wirewheel attachment on a power drill to get the rust and glaze off, but need to know if it's worth doing so. I took pictures of one of the front rotors at night, but they all pretty much look like this:

1997 Acura CL 3.0 hub & rotor, front passenger (Needs Work).

1997 Acura CL 3.0 hub & rotor, front passenger (Needs Work).

Is there anything seriously wrong with it? It seems beyond my ability to change out the front rotors because of the hubs being pressed in, so if they're salvagable please let me know. If not, any tips on hub removal with minimal tools? (I currently do not have a slide hammer or benchvice.)

I don't know if the front rotors have a wobble or just have uneven depositting, but the steering wheel does jitter when braking. I don't know if they're original. The car was bought from a dealership, looks like one previous rich owner, no other history.

Anything else looks alarming from the photos? (Thank you in advance, this is my first thread.)
Old 04-02-2015, 01:24 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
Where do you live? If your close I can come by and help. If not I suggest you invest in some good tools and a shop manual.

I would get new rotors, those look shot. Also while you have everything apart. Check the bj's, bushings, links and suspension for excessive play.
The following users liked this post:
anupjthomas (04-03-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,464 Likes on 3,058 Posts
Those look pretty beat up, I'd replace them.
The following users liked this post:
anupjthomas (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you guys, I appreciate the responses.

I live in NJ, which seems a bit too far from OH. I would have loved the help musiclevelz5, my wife is always telling me to have another pair of eyes advise me on what I'm doing.

I was really hoping the front rotors were salvageable because of the difficulty in getting them out.

I'll take the good advice and save up to buy tools I don't have, mostly combination wrenches, flexible socket wrenches, and attachments for my drill and socket wrenches. Maybe a Dremel tool too. I've mostly done electronics work before stepping into cars.

I found this Eric the Car Guy video showing an easier method to removing the hubs without a slide hammer or special tools, safer on the bearings too apparently:

How do you guys go about taking the front rotors off?