Problems Starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems Starting

Wassup guys. I have a 99 cl 3.0 that has issues starting.

I first noticed the problem last Saturday. After driving with no problems at all on Friday, I get in to start her on Saturday and the car just cranks. Wont turn over. After trying a few times, I figured she was flooded and left it till the next day. I get in and started checking fuses.....fuel pump fuse was OK. I checked the fuse #3 which is a 7.5amp marked starter signal or ignition signal and put it back in, cranked the car and it started.

Yesterday, same thing. Car wouldn't start, went right to that stupid fuse, (Which wasn't blown) pulled it, put it back in and the car started right up and drove fine.

Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
When you have a no-start, turn the keyswitch to ON and listen for the fuel pump to turn on and run for 2-3 secs, then stop. You may need an assistant to listen w/ fuel cap removed to confirm, or not whether pump is running.

Also notice whether the CEL and Alt lights come on when you turn the keyswitch to ON. If not, the keyswitch is most likely problem.

If fuel pump is running, the problem may be an intermittent coil or ignitor. It could be low fuel pressure, but this is less likely than spark problem. Check for spark.

If pump is not running, suspect the main fuel relay or keyswitch, in that order of liklihood. Another possibility is an intermittent fuel pump. Pump may hang and refuse to start. Sometimes a firm thump on the bottom of the fuel tank will "kick off" the pump. If this occurs, a new fuel pump is needed.

Why did car restart after removing/replacing the the 7.5A fuse? Most likely coincidence.

good luck
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Cruisin'

HEY HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. there is a relay that is located under the steering wheel column, moumted on a metal flange. I really do not remember whats it is called .... but when put key in ignition and turn it closes to activate the fuel pump and prime the system. It is Grey in color and it is 2 inches long and a inch high. can miss it. All acura have the same probelm, they co real easy and the acura deal always stock them cause its a common problem. relay cost like $40. promise will solve ur problem.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:53 AM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
main fuel relay? i thought those only get bad when its hot out?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rudeboyride
HEY HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. there is a relay that is located under the steering wheel column, moumted on a metal flange. I really do not remember whats it is called .... but when put key in ignition and turn it closes to activate the fuel pump and prime the system. It is Grey in color and it is 2 inches long and a inch high. can miss it. All acura have the same probelm, they co real easy and the acura deal always stock them cause its a common problem. relay cost like $40. promise will solve ur problem.

Thanks much ! I believe of all the fixes/solutions, this one sounds most viable.

I will take her to the dealership today and pick up that relay and hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks to all who replied and helped.

Kevo