Motor Mount not strong enough? Make your own, I did!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Mount not strong enough? Make your own, I did!

I was driving fast the other day and nailed a 1st to 2nd shift hard. Usually the tires break loose and bark, but I had a full car and so they hooked up and I hear a clunk from under the hood. The next thing I know I got serious slack in the driveline. So I check it out and turns out I broke my front-center motor mount. The one that is right behind the radiator. So I buy one off Autozone for $26 and when I see it I know why it went bad. The dang thing can be moved by bare hand! Seriously weak. So I search the internet for solutions. I come across something about using 3M fast drying window urethane adhesive to fill the motor mout to make it stronger like a polyurethane mount. I went to AdvanceDiscount to get a tube for $12. Go home and make a mold for the mount out of cardboard and proceed to fill the mount with the entire tube of the stuff. This stuff is crazy messy don't get any on your hands use gloves!!! Well, its been two days and my new and improved mount is still sitting on top of my tv hardening. Its hard on the outside but the inside is still soft so its kinda squishy like. I'm gonna let it sit and harden for atleast a week before I install it. The guy who I got the idea from off the internet did it to all 5 motor mounts on his civic and said he had them on for like 1 and 1/2 years before he totaled his car and and said they were awesome that they reduced wheel hop and the slack in the drive line from off the gas to on the gas. Just wanted to let you guys in on a seriously cheap performance upgrade. I will update with the results as soon as I have them for you.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They make polyurethane motor mounts for the 2.x and for the 3.0 there's a thread on that other forum v 6 performance .net about this same thing. I believe they mentioned leaving the mounts out in the sun in the heat so they'll harden faster. here's the link take out all the spaces I added so the link will work. Some lame rule on this forum about linking to this other forum so if you type in a link to it it's automatically deleted

http://www. v 6 performance .net/forums/showthread.php?t=57590