Hum/Whistle noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hum/Whistle noise

Howdy! I need some help figuring out what's wrong with my car. It's been a while since I've been here, but this forum always had the answers I needed in the past....

'98 3.0
59k miles
completely stock

1) The "noise" starts when I start the car and it idles. If you've ever heard somebody whistle and hum at the same time, that's the best I can describe the sound. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, somewhere on the passenger side...but once I try to get my ear close enough to identify it, the sound of the fan overwhelms it - although it doesn't seem "close" to the fan. I almost feel like it's coming from somewhere near the bottom of the car, but I can't hear it if I get under the car.

2) As I accelerate, the noise rises/drops in pitch with my RPMs...it sounds kinda like one of those party favors you used to get at elementary school birthday parties - you know, the short tube things w/ the fan inside that you blew into. Once I get up to about 40 mph it either stops or the road noise prevents me from hearing it anymore.

3) Here's what's confusing me....I do alot of my driving (~98%) on the highway. Sometimes after I spend 25 minutes or so cruising at 70 or 80 and get off the highway, the noise is gone. Other times, it's there. If I get off the highway and don't hear the noise, as soon as I turn the car off and back on (i.e. getting gas) it will start again.

4) To add to the confusion....there seems to be a relationship between the amount of gas in my tank and the volume of the noise. It is less loud w/ a full tank of gas than a half empty one, etc.

I'd like to try and fix this myself, but don't know where to begin....any ideas??

Cheers
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
If the fan noise interferes, you can check w/ cold engine and AC off. Fans should not engage at this condition and perhaps you can trace the noise. A short length of flexible 3/8" -1/2" ID tube can be very helpful to pinpoint the source of a noise.

Offhand, I would suspect the alternator or PS pump, but that's just a guess. Only way to know is to trace the noise to the source.

good luck
Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Tex...

AC off???? In Texas??? In the summer!? you must be crazy!

seriously though, I'll give that a try - just have to remember to turn the AC off tonight when I get home. I've tried turning the AC off after the car's been driven to check for the noise, but this obviously didn't work...

Cheers
Old 06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
~[τΏτ]~

A Mechanics Stethoscope may come in handy for this.