Help with lowest miles 99 cl 2.3 on road today

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with lowest miles 99 cl 2.3 on road today

Im glad my post title caught your attention. I bought a 99 cl 2.3 auto a couple months ago at 98k. Now I am realizing this car sat for a while and never saw any maintenance. I thought the 100k service would become my main concern but that is starting to seem like the most simple fix. I beg of you to read about the problems im experiencing and what I have replaced sofar so that I can give your suggestions to my mechanic who is helping me withlabor while I am only paying for parts.

1. Steering - while making complete turns I hear a winding/tightning noise throughout the turn with a loud knock sound when I am mid turn. This happens no matter which direction I turn in.

2. I simply cant make full right turns. I can steer to the left as far and sharp as possible but when steering to the right I only can turn half as much. Basically half the turning radius to the right.

3. Even after installing new front pads and rotors I can hear the brake parts touching while driving without braking. This noise is maximized when making turn as I then hear metal on metal scratching/grinding noises coming from the brakes until the turn is complete.

Sofar I have replaced front rotors and pads. Both front outer tie rods. One of the steering rack boots on pax side as needed. And in accordance to my mechanic personal opinion I have bought a new wheel bearing for the pax/right side which we will be installing in a few days.

Please reply or respond to me by email with any ideas, suggestion or tips I can feed to my mechanic who frankly is not experienced with acuras. I decided to save the unrelated problems for a later post since these are causing immediate concern. Thank You and God Bless.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:28 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Well,
you both need to get under there and check for play in parts,any movement,or broken ball joints,shot bushings etc. Sounds like a Control arm or P/S rack issue.
You say you hear brake parts grinding? have you checked your dust shields behind the rotors? Frozen calipers on front or rear??
Axles would cause a clunking while turning..check for a broken joint in either side, or even the possibility of the axle being pulled out of the transmission.

Also: a bad bearing would make noise all the time. Might be more pronounced to certain direction of steering, but its not an on/off thing.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM
user & abuser

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by VtecEnthusiast
Im glad my post title caught your attention. I bought a 99 cl 2.3 auto a couple months ago at 98k. Now I am realizing this car sat for a while and never saw any maintenance. I thought the 100k service would become my main concern but that is starting to seem like the most simple fix. I beg of you to read about the problems im experiencing and what I have replaced sofar so that I can give your suggestions to my mechanic who is helping me withlabor while I am only paying for parts.

1. Steering - while making complete turns I hear a winding/tightning noise throughout the turn with a loud knock sound when I am mid turn. This happens no matter which direction I turn in.

2. I simply cant make full right turns. I can steer to the left as far and sharp as possible but when steering to the right I only can turn half as much. Basically half the turning radius to the right.

3. Even after installing new front pads and rotors I can hear the brake parts touching while driving without braking. This noise is maximized when making turn as I then hear metal on metal scratching/grinding noises coming from the brakes until the turn is complete.

Sofar I have replaced front rotors and pads. Both front outer tie rods. One of the steering rack boots on pax side as needed. And in accordance to my mechanic personal opinion I have bought a new wheel bearing for the pax/right side which we will be installing in a few days.

Please reply or respond to me by email with any ideas, suggestion or tips I can feed to my mechanic who frankly is not experienced with acuras. I decided to save the unrelated problems for a later post since these are causing immediate concern. Thank You and God Bless.
the noise from turning can be from a worn p/s pump, when you turn either direction the p/s pump is under load.

the not being able to turn right sounds like p/s rack issues, or a bent inner tie rod binding.

sometimes new pads can scrape a little till they seat in but when installed did the caliper piston get dipressed fully if not the brakes can be tight. something loose or out of place when everything went togather, sometimes stuff needs adjustments. if debris got in between the pads and rotor there will be noise.

good luck.