Cv axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006 | 03:37 PM
Instructor

Cv axles

Is it possible to put the cv axles on the wrong side of a 97 2.2 cl? I purchased a left axles for my car took it to the shop and the mechanic put it on the right side. the tranny started leaking oil on the way home from the right side and eventually the car jumped out of gear and stop moving. I cannot get it to engage anymore. I double checked the part# and it is for the left side but the mechanic says that it is impossible to put it on the wrong side and that the car would not run. I told that I think he did because the car is not running. He wants me to tow it back to him but I am skeptical since I think he already messed up a good running car.
Old 06-11-2006 | 04:33 PM
We ride RIMS!!!

im doing mine right now and looking at the axles there is a difference.. Not in size really but more or less how long the splines are on the end. The left side (driver side) has longer splines which go into your intermediate shaft. So yes there is a difference.
Old 06-12-2006 | 12:36 PM
Instructor

I know there is a difference. I guess I just want to know is the difference so small that it is possible for a mechanic in a rush to put the left cv axle on the right side of the car? When I look at it it sticks out from the transmission and it seems to me that it should sit flush. Whats the difference in length?
Old 06-12-2006 | 12:43 PM
Instructor

By the way looking at your car pictures we have the same exact car. My car is 97 2.2, 5 speed, white ext, grey leather int. Mods are H&R sport with kyb agx, SPC ball joint camber kit and clear corners. Pioneer head unit with audioban 12 sub, memphis amp. I am looking for an aftermarket strut tower brace currently.
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:31 AM
We ride RIMS!!!

About the axles... He replaced the pass. side? IT should sit flush if it isnt it will be leaking fluid. The driver side axle has more splines and a locking washer i guess on the end. It goes into the intermediate shaft and locks in (a pain in the @ss to get out) The pass side goes straight into the tranny should lock in. It should have the shorter splines on it and needs to sit flush. Trust me on this i am just finishing up my clutch replacement and ran into that problem. Otherwise it will leak fluid. AS far as putting them in wrong it should work but i wouldnt. On the pass side when the short splines are done it is smooth like a bearing so it might be a bearing and if splines are there it wouldnt be good. Take it back and tell him to fix it. or if your skeptical get under it yourself and take a look depending on your mechanical appitude. the difference in length on the splines.. On the driver side i would say the splines are around 5-6 inches long. On the pass side they are only 1-2 inches long. (these are just guesses as i dont have an axle in front of me) but it is a noticable difference.
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:35 AM
We ride RIMS!!!

As far as the car goes they sound the same. 97 2.2L White w/ grey cloth, 5 spd. My mods are...
-KYB AGX
-Eibach Sportlines
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-ACT 10 lb flywheel
-18' DiP Rims (Black w/ Chrome lip)
-Falken 215/40Z/18 tires
-Clear Corners
-Black Housings
-20% Tint all around
-Short ram intake

In my room waiting are...
-Rotora slotted rotors
-Ceramic pads

Buying soon...
-Either Magnaflow or Skunk 2 catback
-DC sports header

Think that covers it maybe not. Damn i need to get to work to make some more $$$ to fund this damn car!
Old 06-13-2006 | 03:12 PM
Instructor

OK I took it to a different shop and they have confirmed that it was on the wrong side and that it popped out while I was driving. I dont know how the other guy did it but it was on the wrong side.
Old 06-20-2006 | 11:16 PM
1997 2.2CL black on black

Has anybody had a problem with the removal of the DRIVER'S SIDE cv axle? The passenger side came out perfectly with no problems, and i put in the new one with no problem, but i cannot disconnect the driver's side CV from the intermediate shaft to save my LIFE!!!
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:33 AM
We ride RIMS!!!

HAHA i feel ya on that one. What i did was just pull the axle with the intermediate shaft. We put the intermediate shaft in a vice and beat on the axle with a hammer for about 30 min before it came out. It is a bitch to get out so good luck. There is a stubborn lock ring at the end of the axle that isnt coming out. After beating on it the ring finally gave it up and the axle came out. No damage to the intermediate shaft tho. Make sure to inspect it befoer putting the new axle in.