CANT shift gears when car is ON... butt i CAN shift when car is OFF

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool CANT shift gears when car is ON... butt i CAN shift when car is OFF

Hi i have a 97' acura 2.2 CL Pretty much stock just headers and intake and stage 2 race clutch and coil overs =] not much engine power but a lot of turning power.... so anyway I cant shift into any of my gears when my car is ON. However when my car is OFF i can shift into any gear... any idea of what it might be ? I was thinking it was my tranny but....if i put the car in first gear while its off and turn it on while the gear is in i can drive it... but i cant shift into any other gear afterward.. oh and my clutch pedel used to be kidna stiff and now its noticably soft....and its happend a few times where my pedel would stay in and i would have to pull it out with my foot...so yea if you guys can thorw me any ideas of what it might be i would really apreciate it

p.s i was also thinking it might be my slave clyinder you know the one the engages the clutch cause i replaced it one time when it broke..and it leaked a little fluid but now it engages and i can see it move in and out when i push the pedel..

and maybe the thorw out bearing ? posssibly ?

Anyway thanks a lot for helping me out in advance =]
Old 11-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Safety Car

i would start with bleeding the slave cylinder, usually the throwoout bearing will whine before it goes, so if you didnt hear it than its prolly aiit. you should also check the linkage to make sure its adjusted properly.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Echen951
Hi i have a 97' acura 2.2 CL Pretty much stock just headers and intake and stage 2 race clutch and coil overs =] not much engine power but a lot of turning power.... so anyway I cant shift into any of my gears when my car is ON. However when my car is OFF i can shift into any gear... any idea of what it might be ? I was thinking it was my tranny but....if i put the car in first gear while its off and turn it on while the gear is in i can drive it... but i cant shift into any other gear afterward.. oh and my clutch pedel used to be kidna stiff and now its noticably soft....and its happend a few times where my pedel would stay in and i would have to pull it out with my foot...so yea if you guys can thorw me any ideas of what it might be i would really apreciate it

p.s i was also thinking it might be my slave clyinder you know the one the engages the clutch cause i replaced it one time when it broke..and it leaked a little fluid but now it engages and i can see it move in and out when i push the pedel..

and maybe the thorw out bearing ? posssibly ?

Anyway thanks a lot for helping me out in advance =]
The reason you can't shift w/ car on is the clutch is still engaged. The slave cylinder is likely not moving the clutch fork or moving very little. You can open the hood and watch the slave cylinder while someone pushes the clutch. I've had the slave cylinder develop a leak and lose all the small fluid volume.

good luck
Old 12-06-2006, 08:54 PM
5th Gear

i had the same problem in a 89 bronco the clutch system had a small leak and let air into the system i bleed it and added more fluid held up for a lil bit but was only a temp fix
Old 12-07-2006, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy

well i bled the system and checked my slave cylinder and eveything works fine...
my slave clyinder opens up and everything but still nothing =\ and i forgot to mention that if i put the car in gear when car is off and turn the car on while in 1st gear it wont stall out... =\ i think i need a new tranny... anyone agree? or should i just buy a clutch kit.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
It's more likely the clutch. Transmissions rarely fail so absolutely and w/o any previous symptoms.

good luck