1999 Acura CL stalling issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Acura CL stalling issue.

Hey everyone. New to the forums as an official member but have been browsing for a little bit prior. Anyway, I have a 1999 Acura CL 3.0 that has been giving me a headache as of late. Once in a while over the past year when I would start the car, it would feel like it wanted to cut off right away. Give it about 30 seconds and it would run fine. About a week ago I was driving on a main road doing about 30 and all of the sudden the car shut off. Acting quickly, I put the car in neutral and started it right back up. When it shut off I noticed the green key flashing on the dash. 2 days go by with no problems and then BOOM. It does it again as I am pulling out of a bank. 10 miles later, does it again as I am sitting at a red light. 3 miles later i'm driving down another main road doing about 40 and the car shuts off.. same flashing green light on dash. I put the car in neutral, reach for the key but before I can even touch the key, the car starts right back up. Put about 120 miles on since then and it hasn't done it again but I am sure it's just a matter of time. The key has never returned to the off position when it stalls, I only have the car key and my house key on the chain. From what I have read on this forum, I am assuming it is an ignition switch but money is extremely tight to take the gamble without someone smarter than me saying so. I've also seen that the switch has a recall on it. I'm not sure the car has ever had it replaced since i've only had the car for about 18 months but if it did not, would I still (even though its about 12 years old and has about 140k on it) be able to get it replaced under the recall? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 AM
4th Gear

So I finally got a hold of the Acura dealership and they told me the recall was repaired so basically all of this money is now going to come out of pocket. Anyone think it could be the ignition switch still?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

I know I am probably being a pain but I wanted to be crystal clear on what the car does so I posted a video.

At the 0:16 mark but prior to the dash lights going crazy.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM
user & abuser

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
recall shmee call, they tell you it was done so that you pay and they claim warranty, trust me i worked as a tech. for 6 years and my 1 boss wanted me to do shit like that.

(A)i be a nice guy cause i know the working mans pain and fix it under warranty 1 week before its off warranty (customer dont know, they never read related material), usually get a tip cause i explain it all to them product, warranty, careing for it, do a good job fixing it, go back with no money, do a shit load of paper work, mail it off, wait while the boss is pissed, ect., ect.

(B)tell the customer its off warranty, fix it half ass so it will create other problems n shit, get way too much money, go back and show the boss his riches, do the warranty paper work too, make boss extatic cause hes gettin richer, i get a bonus at christmas, ect., ect,.

you see what im gettin at, and for your info i chose (A),... (unless people were down right fuckin pricks) thats why i got fired and am now in school at 30 years old.

i degress,

it is probably the ignition switch, i do know a shortage in power to electrical devices circuit boards produces said erratic blinking and ticking sooooo.... , but yah , try the ignition switch.
The following users liked this post:
mexiCraig (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM
4th Gear

I'll give the switch a shot. It def seems to be the issue to me since it has done it again and if I just nudge the key it'll fire right back up so it seems like the contacts are worn. Thanks alot. Would this be the part to order?: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...3-1708392.html
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
user & abuser

yup, thats the whore, shes a finicky girl. ive never done one nut i watched 2 you tube vids, and its easy to do. although keep in mind (im going through this now with a relay) if you order it you pretty much got it even if thats not the problem but if you get it localy , if its not the module you can return it, some places dont take returns on electrical parts installed but if you be gentile and with clean hands just plug it in and test, if its not the part you can take it back and say, "i tryed a couple other things first and one worked so i never even used the part"' works like a charm and the part is fine so the next guy gets a gooder.

as for the module like i said the guy on you tube vide had the same symptoms., ......

here found it
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM
user & abuser

heres the other, he talks of the relay, again check yours, crappy connections cause issuse, a good current flow is ideal.