DIY: Engine start button

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:22 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
DIY: Engine start button

Writeup:

I purchased a S2000 button start kit from ebay. Kit included button, wiring, wiring instructions and relay. Procedure was fairly simple. You will need a dremmel tool, splicing abd crimping tools. I placed my button where the cigarete lighter was. I had to carefully bore the opening to fit the button. Always do a bit at a time because you can never put back that which you have cut away. Once fitment have been delt with connecting the wires is a very easy task. Connect the black ground wire to a nice ground. I used the ground on the left of the audio unit. Its on the outside of the panel. You then have two pins to connect as per diagram. 87 and 30. 30 is out to starter wire (12V when key on III only) and 87 is to a ignition source (12v when key is on II and III).
If you procede to remove the panels covering your key/ingition control you will find a harness with some unusually think wires. Its located directly under your steering wheel. The wires you need are blk/white and blk/yellow. Black/white will be your pin 30 starter signal and blk/yellow will be your ignition (constant 12v) source. Everything worked out great for me. Button works like a charm. I spliced my wiring and did not fully cut it to keep III function for my automatic start function on my alarm.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
huh pretty cool does it still start normally with the key also?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
that is neat, but how does it work? As valet, I've driven many start button cars, but the key fob let you start the car. Always a chipped remote....I hope just anybody can't drive your car away.

I kinda made your post easier to read, just helping those like me that can't keep their place while reading.
Originally Posted by SupraManAG
Writeup:

I purchased a S2000 button start kit from ebay. Kit included button, wiring, wiring instructions and relay. Procedure was fairly simple. You will need a dremmel tool, splicing abd crimping tools. I placed my button where the cigarete lighter was.

I had to carefully bore the opening to fit the button. Always do a bit at a time because you can never put back that which you have cut away. Once fitment have been delt with connecting the wires is a very easy task.

Connect the black ground wire to a nice ground. I used the ground on the left of the audio unit. Its on the outside of the panel. You then have two pins to connect as per diagram. 87 and 30. 30 is out to starter wire (12V when key on III only) and 87 is to a ignition source (12v when key is on II and III).

If you procede to remove the panels covering your key/ingition control you will find a harness with some unusually think wires. Its located directly under your steering wheel. The wires you need are blk/white and blk/yellow. Black/white will be your pin 30 starter signal and blk/yellow will be your ignition (constant 12v) source. Everything worked out great for me. Button works like a charm. I spliced my wiring and did not fully cut it to keep III function for my automatic start function on my alarm.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
The start button requires the ignition to be turned on, so not anyone can hop in to start it and go.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
yea that's pretty muc what i was asking it would be neat to convert it to no having to put your key in the ign, but have it on you somwhere
Old 03-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
hmm, not quite sure what the point is then. No, offense, I'd love to have a start button. I like how the newer jags are set up. one push for ignition/accessories and one more push to start.
i have an idea. I dont know what the heck the ignition switch looks like and how complicated the wiring is, but how about a magnetic key fob. Basically hide the ignition switch where ever you want and using a storng magnet hidden in the remote, place the remote on that area.

It would have to stick there, but you could do it like BMW's where you push the remote(fob) into the recess and push start. A magnet switch would be easy and unless a few million people did this mod, no thief would know they just needed a simple magnet.

I'd put it in the little compartment above the stereo or just some place in the center console. I'm sure it's not this simple, but just throwin this out there.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty dope, but i would personally rather stick with a normal start.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool~!